HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2221  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 7:50 PM
LosAngelesSportsFan's Avatar
LosAngelesSportsFan LosAngelesSportsFan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,028
LA ended 2019 with 253, down for the 3rd straight year and lowest per capita since 1963
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2222  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 8:21 PM
Boisebro's Avatar
Boisebro Boisebro is offline
All man. Half nuts.
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 2,983
from what I could find, Boise finished 2019 with 2 murders, which is double the 1 it had in 2018 and equal to the 2 in 2017.
__________________
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.”―Mark Twain
“The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page.”―Saint Augustine
“Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.”―Anonymous
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2223  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 12:36 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: the upside down
Posts: 51,112
2020 Austin Metro Murders

| Austin 17 | Travis Co. 19 | Bastrop Co. 0 | Caldwell Co. 0 | Hays Co. 1 | Williamson Co. 4 | Metro 24 |

Causes metrowide
Shooting - 16
Stabbing - 4
Strangled - 0
Suffocation - 0
Throwing (of child) - 0
Beating - 1
Vehicular homicide - 0
Blunt force trauma - 1
Sharp force trauma - 0
Unlisted cause - 2
Domestic terrorism - 0

Austin totals
Downtown - 1
Central Austin - 1
East Austin - 3
North Austin - 2
Northeast Austin - 4
Northwest Austin - 0
South Austin - 4
Southeast Austin - 1
Southwest Austin - 0
West Austin - 1

Victims
Male - 16
Female - 7
Unlisted - 1

| Jan 6 | Feb 6 | Mar 9 | Apr 3 | May 0 | Jun 0 | Jul 0 | Aug 0 | Sep 0 | Oct 0 | Nov 0 | Dec 0 |

-

| Mon 3 | Tue 5 | Wed 1 | Thur 3 | Fri 3 | Sat 6 | Sun 3 |

-

Murder cases
Code:
1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/4-people-stabbed-in-attack-on-south-congress/?fbclid=IwAR30os7QA-0IUpsC8RxheTAXJFZLOl-57LO51A44-3OB4uD2-0v2DnSCON0 - 1/3 - Austin stabbing

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/one-injured-in-east-austin-shooting/ - 1/11 - Austin shooting

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/police-looking-for-suspect-in-east-austin-stabbing/?fbclid=IwAR2f4m_Is2jKFsQRwsEiJwMUyAlxUREKRTiWk0utxcyHTrQzeQjJcfVg0f8 - 1/17 - Austin stabbing

1 dead - http://www.austintexas.gov/news/homicide-5-0 - 1/19 - Austin blunt force trauma

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/local-news/atcems-reporting-to-possible-east-austin-shooting-someone-possibly-dead/ - 1/20 - Austin shooting

1 dead - http://www.austintexas.gov/news/homicide-4-0 - 1/23 - Austin shooting

1 dead - https://www.statesman.com/news/20200202/2-dead-after-pflugerville-shooting-saturday-night-police-say?template=ampart - 2/1 - Pflugerville shooting

1 dead - http://www.austintexas.gov/news/homicide-6-0 - 2/17 - Austin shooting

1 dead - http://www.austintexas.gov/news/homicide-9-0 - 2/21 - Austin shooting

2 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/police-identify-third-suspect-in-northeast-austin-apartment-shooting/ - 2/25 - Austin shooting

1 dead - https://www.statesman.com/news/20200305/police-arrest-made-in-georgetown-missing-man-case?template=ampart - 2/25 - Georgetown unlisted cause

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/local/williamson-county/round-rock-teen-arrested-in-connection-with-fatal-shooting-of-17-year-old/ - 3/3 - Round Rock shooting

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/homicide-investigation-opened-after-male-victim-shot-dead-in-south-austin/ - 3/13 - Austin shooting

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/teen-shot-and-dropped-off-at-taylor-hospital-declared-dead-on-arrival-suspect-in-custody/ - 3/21 - Taylor shooting

1 dead - http://www.austintexas.gov/news/homicide-11-0 - 3/22 - Austin shooting

1 dead - https://www.statesman.com/news/20200325/man-dies-from-wounds-after-cedar-park-shooting-sunday?template=ampart - 3/25 - Cedar Park shooting

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/apd-investigating-homicide-in-north-austin/ - 3/26 - Austin stabbing

1 dead - http://www.austintexas.gov/news/homicide-13-0 - 3/27 - Austin body found with trauma

1 dead - https://www.statesman.com/news/20200329/overnight-man-killed-woman-injured-in-north-austin-shooting - 3/29 - Austin shooting

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/local/travis-county/authorities-investigating-report-of-shots-fired-in-pflugerville/ - 3/31 - Pflugerville shooting

1 dead - http://www.austintexas.gov/news/homicide-15-0 - 4/13 - Austin stabbing

1 - dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/local/hays/san-marcos-police-urge-shelter-in-place-as-they-respond-to-incident/ - 4/18 - San Marcos shooting

1 dead - https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/downtown-austin-street-fight-turns-fatal/269-02712655-7a03-46a8-8a3f-2320a0966765 - 4/18 - Austin beating
-

Pending cases

Code:
1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/police-investigating-body-found-near-taco-shack-in-northwest-austin/ - 2/29 - body found - Austin

1 dead - https://www.statesman.com/news/20200311/manrsquos-body-found-on-conveyor-belt-at-recycling-plant-in-travis-county?template=ampart - 3/11 - body found - Austin

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/body-found-outside-texas-workforce-commission/ - 4/6 - Austin body found

1 dead - https://www.statesman.com/news/20200418/body-found-behind-h-e-b-store-in-round-rock-police-say?template=ampart - 4/18 - Round Rock - body found

1 dead - https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/manchaca-body-found-homicide-investigation-janice-hughes/269-c1872dc9-e085-4752-a759-473ebc9ad239?fbclid=IwAR2Bs8NV2YaYn9T0LgjH5JoS2-g1_l7KB4e935ziMKvSTUOnI80oMgHh1Xs - 4/16 - Manchaca - body found
Austin area population

City: 964,254 (July 1, 2018 estimate) - source: US Census Bureau
Travis County: 1,273,954 (July 1, 2019 estimate) - source: US Census Bureau
Metro: 2,227,083 (July 1, 2019 estimate) - source: US Census Bureau

Area - City: 297 square miles (2010) - US Census Bureau
Area - Metro: 4,285 square miles - Wikipedia
Area - Travis County: 1,023 square miles - Wikipedia

-

Previous years

__________________
"You see, we are here, as far as I can tell, to help each other; our brothers, our sisters, our friends, our enemies. That is to help each other and not hurt each other." - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Apr 25, 2020 at 3:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2224  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 1:08 AM
Darkoshvilli Darkoshvilli is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,372
MTL clocking in at 2 on the year. Thats a 1/1,000,000 rate.

Last edited by Darkoshvilli; Mar 10, 2020 at 1:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2225  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 9:22 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: the upside down
Posts: 51,112
This thread's been quiet for a while. How are other cities faring during the Covid-19 situation? Austin on pace to have a bad year, maybe one of the worst years ever if we continue with the rate we're at. 3 months in, and we have 15 murders in the city when we typically have 30 or so in a year.
__________________
"You see, we are here, as far as I can tell, to help each other; our brothers, our sisters, our friends, our enemies. That is to help each other and not hurt each other." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2226  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 1:50 AM
aquablue aquablue is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,741
The third world status of murder rates in america is a shameful reminder of what the legacy of gun lover fetishists have left us. American "alphas" who worship their guns have allowed crinimals to easily pick these up everywhere without reproach. Europe has hardly any murders and they have said NO. An animal would have more sense at the top of America's leadership than the current bunch of jokers!.

If I were prez I'd fucking outlaw the gun. Only liscensed farmers, hunters, and security would get one, and only a rifle -- no pistols, assault weapons, machine guns, fuck that shit. Also each weapon would require personal lock to avoid Children shooting themselves by accident.

Last edited by aquablue; Apr 6, 2020 at 12:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2227  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 2:41 PM
BigDan35's Avatar
BigDan35 BigDan35 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles County
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
The third world status of murder rates in america is a shameful reminder of what the legacy of gun lover fetishists have left us. American "alphas" who worship their guns have allowed crinimals to easily pick these up everywhere without reproach. Europe has hardly any murders and they have said NO. An animal would have more sense at the top of America's leadership than the current bunch of jokers!.

If I were prez I'd fucking outlaw the gun. Only liscensed farmers, hunters, and security would get one, and only a rifle -- no pistols, assault weapons, machine guns, fuck that shit. Also each weapon would require personal lock to avoid Children shooting themselves by accident.
Luckily, you'll never be president. Criminals will always be able to get their hands on guns. Whether it's the black market, illegal trade, smuggling, stealing them. The criminals will ALWAYS be armed. So do you expect the normal citizens to just do the best they can when they come into contact with an armed criminal who wants to invade their home in the middle of the night and have their way?

Let's say you yourself were not a farmer, hunter, or law enforcement. Some criminal armed with a gun breaks into your home and wants to terrorize your family. You know damn well, you are wishing you had a gun. But because of your rules, now you don't have one. And now you are at the mercy of the armed criminal.
__________________
"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2228  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 2:49 PM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is offline
>~< , QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Loop, Chicago
Posts: 2,164
^ Yes, people in other countries are constantly at fear of armed criminals

Even in the US the majority of people don't have guns. Given the prevalence of mental illness, a it would be extremely irresponsible for a significant minority of the country to have guns in any case.
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead. Trump delenda est.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2229  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 2:54 PM
BigDan35's Avatar
BigDan35 BigDan35 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles County
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
^ Yes, people in other countries are constantly at fear of armed criminals

Even in the US the majority of people don't have guns. Given the prevalence of mental illness, a it would be extremely irresponsible for a significant minority of the country to have guns in any case.
The majority of people are not mentally ill. And given the fact he was shaming America's murder rate, I'm going to assume he was talking about making gun law changes to America, not some other country.

I'm not "constantly" in fear of an armed criminal. However, it happens numerous times every day to hundreds of people. Being victimized in their own homes by armed criminals.

So let me just ask you this: if guns were banned for normal citizens and your family member got their home broken into by let's say two criminals. One of them having a gun. What do you expect your family member to do now? I would like to hear your response. A gun won't always help in every situation like that, but at least it gives you a fighting chance.
__________________
"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2230  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 2:57 PM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is offline
>~< , QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Loop, Chicago
Posts: 2,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan35 View Post
The majority of people are not mentally ill. And given the fact he was shaming America's murder rate, I'm going to assume he was talking about making gun law changes to America, not some other country.

I'm not "constantly" in fear of an armed criminal. However, it happens numerous times every day to hundreds of people. Being victimized in their own homes by armed criminals.

So let me just ask you this: if guns were banned for normal citizens and your family member got their home broken into by let's say two criminals. One of them having a gun. What do you expect your family member to do now? I would like to hear your response. A gun won't always help in every situation like that, but at least it gives you a fighting chance.
Surrender our shit that will get replaced by renter's insurance?
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead. Trump delenda est.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2231  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 3:00 PM
BigDan35's Avatar
BigDan35 BigDan35 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles County
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Surrender our shit that will get replaced by renter's insurance?
Good luck with that. And what about when the criminal decides they don't just want your property? They want to kill your family? You going to surrender the family so they get replaced by insurance as well?
__________________
"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2232  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 5:09 PM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is offline
>~< , QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Loop, Chicago
Posts: 2,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan35 View Post
Good luck with that. And what about when the criminal decides they don't just want your property? They want to kill your family? You going to surrender the family so they get replaced by insurance as well?
The chances of that happening are vanishingly small, much smaller than a family member become depressed and using the gun to harm themselves.
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead. Trump delenda est.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2233  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 11:35 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: the upside down
Posts: 51,112
People don't have to be mentally ill for it to be a bad idea for them to have a gun. For example, I saw a guy rubbing his face today after walking out of the grocery store during a pandemic. Clearly, a threat to himself and others. Isn't that one of the characteristics of someone being mentally ill?
__________________
"You see, we are here, as far as I can tell, to help each other; our brothers, our sisters, our friends, our enemies. That is to help each other and not hurt each other." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2234  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 1:25 AM
jtown,man jtown,man is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
The third world status of murder rates in america is a shameful reminder of what the legacy of gun lover fetishists have left us. American "alphas" who worship their guns have allowed crinimals to easily pick these up everywhere without reproach. Europe has hardly any murders and they have said NO. An animal would have more sense at the top of America's leadership than the current bunch of jokers!.

If I were prez I'd fucking outlaw the gun. Only liscensed farmers, hunters, and security would get one, and only a rifle -- no pistols, assault weapons, machine guns, fuck that shit. Also each weapon would require personal lock to avoid Children shooting themselves by accident.
Second Amendment. So you wouldn't do any of that. You would propose an amendment to the Consitution and you would lose.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2235  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 1:28 AM
jtown,man jtown,man is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,427
Let me remind people:

More guns do NOT equal more murders.

The number of guns in the USA since 1990 have just about doubled in number.

The amount of murders has decreased by about 50%.

By the flawed logic of guns causing anything, it would be more guns=less murders. Of course no one here would claim that but it certainly can be claimed that more guns do NOT equal more murders.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2236  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 5:10 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: the upside down
Posts: 51,112
It's sad that proponents of the 2nd amendment and the NRA come to the rescue of those two in a thread dedicated to the documentation of murders in this country. It's telling to see where they know they need to make their arguments in the protection of them. It figures that the NRA would lobby our government to prohibit the research of gun violence that the CDC had previously been tasked with conducting prior to 1996.
__________________
"You see, we are here, as far as I can tell, to help each other; our brothers, our sisters, our friends, our enemies. That is to help each other and not hurt each other." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2237  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 5:13 AM
BigDan35's Avatar
BigDan35 BigDan35 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles County
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
The chances of that happening are vanishingly small, much smaller than a family member become depressed and using the gun to harm themselves.
Your argument makes zero sense. First of all, I don't care how small you think the chances are. The fact of the matter is there are home invasions every single day and thousands of people are the victims of home invasions, with many of those being armed intruders every year. Are you likely to be a victim of that? Statistics say no. But then again, every single person who IS the victim of it had the same chance of being a victim as you did.

Your second statement is even worse. So your argument is that someone who is mentally ill could use the gun to harm themselves so no one should have guns? Well then you better get rid of every weapon in that house that could do the job. Do away with all the knives, scissors, hammers, ropes in the garage and any other thing that someone could potentially use to kill themselves. If someone is determined enough to harm themselves they will find a way, whether there is a gun in the mix or not.

I just can't understand people with your logic. If you want to be a sheep and be at the mercy of a criminal and even worse, let your family be at the mercy of that criminal then go right ahead. But don't try to drag every other American down with you.
__________________
"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2238  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 3:16 PM
jtown,man jtown,man is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It's sad that proponents of the 2nd amendment and the NRA come to the rescue of those two in a thread dedicated to the documentation of murders in this country. It's telling to see where they know they need to make their arguments in the protection of them. It figures that the NRA would lobby our government to prohibit the research of gun violence that the CDC had previously been tasked with conducting prior to 1996.
It’s sad that people(me) are making sure people have correct information?

We have massively more guns in the last 30 years.
Our murder rate(the topic of this thread) has gone down about 50%.

Where is the NRA false information at?

Could you people stop making everything an emotional issue and stick to the facts?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2239  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 7:15 PM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is offline
>~< , QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Loop, Chicago
Posts: 2,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan35 View Post
Your argument makes zero sense. First of all, I don't care how small you think the chances are. The fact of the matter is there are home invasions every single day and thousands of people are the victims of home invasions, with many of those being armed intruders every year. Are you likely to be a victim of that? Statistics say no. But then again, every single person who IS the victim of it had the same chance of being a victim as you did.
Thank you for the inane tautology. Your argument is tantamount to assuming that I should be afraid of and take precautions against every possible event, no matter how unlikely. Like most Americans, I'm much more imperiled by my diet than some spooky home invader.

How many people are randomly murdered in home invasions (excluding people who attempt to fight the intruder or intruders shot by police or residents?) I can find maybe... a few examples on the internet in the last 20 years (which seem likely promulgated by the NRA in order to ins instill fear, so if there were more, they would be easy to find). Meanwhile hundreds die every year from firearm accidents. I'm much more likely to be randomly hot on the street by a police office or caught in some crossfire than by someone in a home invasion. I also live in a high-rise with a concierge, which makes armed home invasions even more likely than they might ordinarily be.

Quote:
Your second statement is even worse. So your argument is that someone who is mentally ill could use the gun to harm themselves so no one should have guns? Well then you better get rid of every weapon in that house that could do the job. Do away with all the knives, scissors, hammers, ropes in the garage and any other thing that someone could potentially use to kill themselves. If someone is determined enough to harm themselves they will find a way, whether there is a gun in the mix or not.

I just can't understand people with your logic. If you want to be a sheep and be at the mercy of a criminal and even worse, let your family be at the mercy of that criminal then go right ahead. But don't try to drag every other American down with you.
Yes, it is much easier for someone to kill themselves with a gun than by other means. A gun is literally made for killing people so its efficacy is no surprise. Most people with suicidality have transient impulses which are not amenable to methods of suicide that take planning, significant effort, or may not be fully effective. Trust me, I have more personal experience with this than I care to share. Or you can trust the many studies that have demonstrated this. Of course not having a gun won't prevent all suicides, but the reduction in potential harm is much greater than the reduction in potential harm from the hypothetical fairy-tale home intruder who wants to murder me for no particular reason.

I can imagine cases where a gun might improve your safety, like if you are involved in criminal activity, have a stalker, or might run into a polar bear in your backyard. But those certainly don't apply to my household...
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead. Trump delenda est.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2240  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 7:22 PM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is offline
>~< , QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Loop, Chicago
Posts: 2,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
It’s sad that people(me) are making sure people have correct information?

We have massively more guns in the last 30 years.
Our murder rate(the topic of this thread) has gone down about 50%.

Where is the NRA false information at?

Could you people stop making everything an emotional issue and stick to the facts?
I don't think anybody is claiming that the number of guns are the only predictor of murder rate. Anyway, the number of guns is not the right number to use. A better number is the fraction of the population that owns at least one gun (since number of guns per person is probably not a huge factor in murder rate). I haven't seen solid statistics for this. Do you have evidence that the fraction of gun-owning people has increased?

Unfortunately, inability for federally funded research in this area doesn't help.
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead. Trump delenda est.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:10 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.