HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
When are Pool and Kitchen up for re-election?
Kitchen was just re-elected so 2022. Pool is up in along with Atler. 2020.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
Who does Leslie Pool attract at the polls? She is a MESS!!
The Crestview and Shoal Creek NIMBYs will loyally follow her to the grave.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
Who does Leslie Pool attract at the polls? She is a MESS!!
It very much seems to be a generational attraction. In time this too shall pass though. I've yet to talk to anyone young(er) that favors her policies or procedures.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
The Crestview and Shoal Creek NIMBYs will loyally follow her to the grave.
Crestview NA President Mike Lavigne is one of the most active preservationists around. He's associated with the leadership in nearly every backwards, regressive PAC and organization in Austin. His CNA term ends in 2019 along with the treasurer. The others have terms ending in May 2020.

It would probably make a difference in how much support Pool gets in Crestview in 2020 if a more moderate CNA board were to take office by then.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
Crestview NA President Mike Lavigne is one of the most active preservationists around. He's associated with the leadership in nearly every backwards, regressive PAC and organization in Austin. His CNA term ends in 2019 along with the treasurer. The others have terms ending in May 2020.

It would probably make a difference in how much support Pool gets in Crestview in 2020 if a more moderate CNA board were to take office by then.
CNA is just a musical chairs of the same 10 or so people. When Lavigne steps down, it'll just be someone else from the rank-and-file that will take over the helm.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 4:19 AM
德克萨斯人 y'all

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Kitchen was just re-elected so 2022. Pool is up in along with Atler. 2020.
Thanks.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 3:41 PM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
CNA is just a musical chairs of the same 10 or so people. When Lavigne steps down, it'll just be someone else from the rank-and-file that will take over the helm.
Just more great examples of how dysfunctional neighborhood plans and contact teams are. They seem to thrive on finding ways to make housing difficult. Would love it if some of you would take over these orgs or help find ways for Austin to rid itself of them and find something that is more representational of Austin's needs.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
Just more great examples of how dysfunctional neighborhood plans and contact teams are. They seem to thrive on finding ways to make housing difficult. Would love it if some of you would take over these orgs or help find ways for Austin to rid itself of them and find something that is more representational of Austin's needs.
We tried (some folks from Midtown). They stacked the neighborhood against us, giving people slips of "who to vote for" as they walked in the door for the NA meeting that day, and invited everyone they could to show up so the sheer numbers would be stacked. It's a lose-lose just trying to deal with them in any capacity.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 8:26 PM

I can't stand the CNA neighborhood newsletters that have slightly political crap inserted here and there. On the other end, the amount of tear downs in Crestview is astonishing....so, in that respect I'm a bit of a preservationist and agree with them. If I were to sell my bungalow tomorrow it would be razed for some ugly Delia Deetz white farmhouse.

I THINK their intentions are sort of in the right place, it just gets so divisive in the mess of it all.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I can't stand the CNA neighborhood newsletters that have slightly political crap inserted here and there. On the other end, the amount of tear downs in Crestview is astonishing....so, in that respect I'm a bit of a preservationist and agree with them. If I were to sell my bungalow tomorrow it would be razed for some ugly Delia Deetz white farmhouse.

I THINK their intentions are sort of in the right place, it just gets so divisive in the mess of it all.
i complained about the editorial slant of the CNA newsletter once and they took me off the distribution list. so petty it's hilarious.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 9:22 PM

Quote:

sounds like they are winning you over to the dark NIMBY side.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
sounds like they are winning you over to the dark NIMBY side.
Maybe just a little.... Seriously though, Crestview is charming because of it's bungalows, the shopping center, Brentwood park, mature trees etc...Then come the Delia houses with like lone sidewalks leading to nowhere in the front yard

I do love that most new construction projects have backyard houses incorporated into the mix. Something Crestview is also known for.

Atxsnail: Are you joking!? That's so petty. Back on topic.....I probably won't vote for Pool in 20.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 2:29 AM

We lived in Crestview for a year or so -- it was our first neighborhood in Austin after moving from Louisville. Great hood, but definitely ground zero for The Battle For The Soul of Austin. All the interest groups were there: long time owners and long time renters -- neither group very wealthy; the nouveau riche looking for a good school district for their kiddos; Californians (no joke, mostly Californians) with out of state tech money looking for a modest investment; everyone an activist, either for bike lanes or zoning or Brentwood schools or you name it. Everyone there comes to the table with their "neighborhood engagement" value amped to 11. Lots of people ready to scrap at the drop of a hat for their corner of the central city.

In the end we were too middle class to afford the housing, and ended up in Jollyville, instead. Which, TBH, wasn't a bad move at all.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Maybe just a little.... Seriously though, Crestview is charming because of it's bungalows, the shopping center, Brentwood park, mature trees etc...Then come the Delia houses with like lone sidewalks leading to nowhere in the front yard

I do love that most new construction projects have backyard houses incorporated into the mix. Something Crestview is also known for.

Atxsnail: Are you joking!? That's so petty. Back on topic.....I probably won't vote for Pool in 20.
Definitely not joking. They did it to a few others who dared to voice contrarian views as well. Also, I'd bet my house that if a developer were to propose building the beloved Crestview shopping center today that CNA would scream bloody murder about it.

I hold up my neighborhood as pound for pound one of the best in the city, but CNA should stick to planning ice cream socials and STFU about everything else.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
Definitely not joking. They did it to a few others who dared to voice contrarian views as well.
One of them.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 10:03 PM

Very good news. Dan Patrick (et al) won't pursue a bathroom bill in 2019. He's essentially declaring victory and moving on.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/01...oom-bill-2019/

One of my contacts at the CVB thinks this is directly attributable to Apple, who almost certainly demanded it as part of its expansion plans. If so, score one for the Big A.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:39 PM

Early Voting starts Monday! I would try to vote early this year because there are new voting machines that bring back paper into the process so there is likely going to be a learning curve and take people longer to vote.

Early Voting runs from Monday, October 21, 2019 - Friday, November 1, 2019

Early Vote Locations You can vote anywhere in the county including the Fiesta and Randals grocery stores. Link to all Early Voting Locations: http://bit.ly/2BdYIut

-Link to League of Women Austin Voter Guide: http://bit.ly/33DskgN

-Link to Austin Chronicle Guide: http://bit.ly/2VMXSxY

-Link to Austin Chronicle Endorsements: http://bit.ly/33ASXms

--Link to Austin Chamber of Commerce Endorsements: http://bit.ly/2MROOUD

Major Items: (None raise property tax rates) 

Austin Prop A: Funded by COTA to kill the Austin FC stadium. Would also require many non-profit youth sports and arts groups (YMCA, Zach Scott Theater etc.) to start paying taxes. Strongly recommend voting No/against

Austin Prop B: Petition funded by small group of rich anti-growth layers and investors who misled petition signers by saying they wanted to support the arts when their petition would not change the percentage of hotel taxes going to the arts. In fact, the only way to get more to the arts is to raise the hotel tax which can only be done to fund an entertainment venue like a convention center or a sports arena. Prop attempts to gut existing convention center budget and move hotel money to historical preservation pet projects that a few rich laywyers in town want funded. Would expose Austin to another state lawsuit as it would violate how hotel taxes can be used. Expansion of the Austin Convention Center is a great project for the city. I can expand in comments if anyone is interested. STRONGLY URGE TO VOTE NO/AGAINST

Travis County Prop A: The county wants to use future hotel money to presumedly build a new arena and expo center at the Expo grounds at Loyola/Decker. I say presume because they don’t actually have a plan yet so they don’t know what the plan/cost would be. Despite terrible preparation, an investment in the expo center would be an investment in our area. I would recommend voting for it. I think it's good to have an alternative for the major convention center in a metro and this fills that need.

Manor ISD expansion bond: Does not raise taxes, helps provide for exploding enrollment including new facilities and renovating old facilities. It seems like a reasonable response to a rapidly growing area and can help improve the rising quality of the school District. Recommend Approval.

Texas Props

Prop 1 would allow elected municipal judges to serve in more than one city at the same time. (Appointed municipal judges can already do this.)

Prop 2 would allow the Texas Water Development Board (TWDB) to issue up to $200 million in bonds to fund water and sewer projects in economically distressed areas. (This program already exists but needs more funds to continue.) (http://bit.ly/2MnpYwR)

Prop 3 would allow the Legislature to temporarily exempt from property tax properties damaged in disasters, according to rules to be created by lawmakers in the future. (http://bit.ly/2MjmknJ)

Prop 4 would prohibit the state from imposing or collecting an individual income tax. (This has been a third-rail issue in Texas politics for decades, and the Legislature wants to make sure it stays that way.) (http://bit.ly/2IWqeB0)

Prop 5 would automatically appropriate the state’s sales taxes on sporting goods to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and Texas Historical Commission to provide a dedicated funding stream for parks and historic sites. Currently this revenue goes into the state’s general fund; the Legislature would still prescribe how this money is used (and shared between the two agencies) in each biennial budget. (http://bit.ly/32joCZG)

Prop 6 would extend the life of the Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT) – created by an earlier amendment in 2007 – by increasing the bond funding available to the agency to $6 billion. (CPRIT, which survived a major scandal in 2011, has largely spent its original $3 billion in funding.) http://bit.ly/2MLGXrF

Prop 7 would allow up to $600 million a year in proceeds from the Permanent School Fund (the revenue from the state’s land and investments) to be distributed annually to schools. This doubles the current constitutional maximum of $300 million. (http://bit.ly/2oR3WJZ)

Prop 8 would create a special flood infrastructure fund for TWDB to use to finance local projects – as it does now with drinking water supply projects (see Proposition 2). Revenues from the state rainy day fund, appropriately enough, would flow into this new fund.

Prop 9 would allow the Legislature to exempt precious metals held in a Texas depository from property taxes. There is, in fact, a state-run vault where you can store your gold and silver, open for business since 2018. (texasbulliondepository.gov)

Prop 10 would allow police dogs (or any “law enforcement animals”) to be transferred to their handlers or others – for example, upon their retirement – at no cost. Right now, since such animals are considered public property, state and local agencies are not allowed to give them away.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 4:19 PM

Quote:

Travis County Prop A: The county wants to use future hotel money to presumedly build a new arena and expo center at the Expo grounds at Loyola/Decker. I say presume because they don’t actually have a plan yet so they don’t know what the plan/cost would be. Despite terrible preparation, an investment in the expo center would be an investment in our area. I would recommend voting for it. I think it's good to have an alternative for the major convention center in a metro and this fills that need.
Until Travis County actually starts to support the ~90% of residents who live in cities, I'm voting no on whatever they put up for a vote.

We (Austin especially, but the other cities as well) pay the vast majority of every bond election, but TC refuses to even attempt to address our needs (road projects stop at city limits, all projects are far from city residents, despite Austin residents being park-deficient, etc)

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 4:35 PM

Quote:

Letting money be collected for a non-specific plan seems like a bad idea. They are bad enough using money appropriately when there is a specific plan in place.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_jeremy View Post
Letting money be collected for a non-specific plan seems like a bad idea. They are bad enough using money appropriately when there is a specific plan in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Until Travis County actually starts to support the ~90% of residents who live in cities, I'm voting no on whatever they put up for a vote.

We (Austin especially, but the other cities as well) pay the vast majority of every bond election, but TC refuses to even attempt to address our needs (road projects stop at city limits, all projects are far from city residents, despite Austin residents being park-deficient, etc)

I don't disagree with either of you. I will say that the Expo Center is on city land and would help bring some more interest into district 1.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin