HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #601  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 8:49 PM
wwmiv wwmiv is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago
Posts: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Rather than try to remove Zimmerman from office and involve the city in expensive litigation that would probably focus on Zimmerman's First Amendment rights rather than his actual offensive comments, I would prefer to see him treated like a pariah here in Austin. I doubt that other council members are going to want to associate with him or cooperate with him over the next two years of his term. He has made lasting enemies, and I hope to see him squirm. I am confident that he will not be re-elected. His margin of victory was quite slim and will likely erode going forward.
He will definitely not be reelected.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #602  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 2:07 AM
hookem hookem is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Rather than try to remove Zimmerman from office and involve the city in expensive litigation that would probably focus on Zimmerman's First Amendment rights rather than his actual offensive comments, I would prefer to see him treated like a pariah here in Austin.
A recall election is triggered by the citizens with a petition. The city has no control over whether it happens or not, so there would be no litigation against the city for first amendment violations or anything... There would be a little cost associated with running the election itself, but that's it.

BTW, if anyone in district 6 wants to get in on that, this would be where to start:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Recal...84137574943980
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #603  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 2:57 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: My side of your fence
Posts: 8,975
The guy was just exercising his right to freedom of speech outside of his City Council duties on issues that are not city business. He will lose any re-election attempt because he is out of touch with reality and just as goofy as that Pressley woman. I just wish people would stop trying to silence/punish others because of their opinions, no matter how bizarre/uninformed/stupid, etc.


Edit: Is he in the two or four year election cycle?
__________________
Everyone I know goes away in the end.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #604  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 3:51 AM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Far from the maddening crowd
Posts: 3,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The guy was just exercising his right to freedom of speech outside of his City Council duties on issues that are not city business. He will lose any re-election attempt because he is out of touch with reality and just as goofy as that Pressley woman. I just wish people would stop trying to silence/punish others because of their opinions, no matter how bizarre/uninformed/stupid, etc.


Edit: Is he in the two or four year election cycle?
If a married gay couple and man and wife couple went separately to their elective official who thought like Zimmerman and that official could only grant one request of simular value, what are the odds of the gay couple getting that consideration? From this point on, it is not unreasonable to think some of his decision making and representation of the very people he serves may be tainted with prejudice. He may be entitled to his opinion, but now that the cat is out of the bag, can he be trusted to be fair and unbiased?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #605  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 4:18 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: My side of your fence
Posts: 8,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
If a married gay couple and man and wife couple went separately to their elective official who thought like Zimmerman and that official could only grant one request of simular value, what are the odds of the gay couple getting that consideration? From this point on, it is not unreasonable to think some of his decision making and representation of the very people he serves may be tainted with prejudice. He may be entitled to his opinion, but now that the cat is out of the bag, can he be trusted to be fair and unbiased?
I don't trust anyone to be completely fair and unbiased. We all have our own prejudices that help inform our opinions. A smart local politician unlike Zimmerman would not post theirs on Facebook.

This is a good example of how the advent of platforms like Facebook and Twitter have really made it easy to identify those with unpopular and impulsive behaviors. So many celebrities and politicians are having to apologize for poorly thought and out stupid comments.
__________________
Everyone I know goes away in the end.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #606  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 5:32 AM
austlar1 austlar1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
A recall election is triggered by the citizens with a petition. The city has no control over whether it happens or not, so there would be no litigation against the city for first amendment violations or anything... There would be a little cost associated with running the election itself, but that's it.

BTW, if anyone in district 6 wants to get in on that, this would be where to start:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Recal...84137574943980
Recall would be nice, but you need 10% of the eligible voters in district 6 to sign the petition for a recall election. Not likely to happen unless folks get highly motivated and organized. If a recall election did happen, the focus would be on First Amendment issues as opposed to his nasty little diatribe comparing gays to pedophiles. I think a council member should introduce a resolution of censure in a council meeting. It just might get enough support to pass, and it would certainly haunt Zimmerman going forward over the next year and a half. Thankfully, he drew one of the two year slots for this new council, so his time is probably limited. He loves attention and will probably get a lot of it during his tenure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #607  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 6:47 PM
AusTxDevelopment AusTxDevelopment is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 737
Austin Monitor
Judge hits Laura Pressley and attorney with $100,000 sanctions in election lawsuit
http://www.austinmonitor.com/stories...ction-lawsuit/

Quote:
Laura Pressley tells the Austin Monitor that she is disappointed but not discouraged by $100,000 in sanctions imposed on she and her attorney. The unsuccessful city council candidate added that the ruling awarding nearly $100,000 in damages to her former District 4 Council opponent–and current Council Member–Greg Casar will not end her drive to challenge the results of the election she lost to Casar in December.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #608  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 7:00 PM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: My side of your fence
Posts: 8,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
Austin Monitor
Judge hits Laura Pressley and attorney with $100,000 sanctions in election lawsuit
http://www.austinmonitor.com/stories...ction-lawsuit/
I like the fact that her attorney was told to pay even more than her. But the money they are supposed to pay for Casar's legal defense still leaves him with a huge bill. The system is seriously broken if someone wins a local election fair and square for a low paying job gets stuck with ridiculous legal bills.
__________________
Everyone I know goes away in the end.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #609  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 10:31 PM
wwmiv wwmiv is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago
Posts: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I like the fact that her attorney was told to pay even more than her. But the money they are supposed to pay for Casar's legal defense still leaves him with a huge bill. The system is seriously broken if someone wins a local election fair and square for a low paying job gets stuck with ridiculous legal bills.
He's not liable personally. His campaign committee is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #610  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 12:13 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: My side of your fence
Posts: 8,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
He's not liable personally. His campaign committee is.
That doesn't make me feel much better. His re-election, and any further political ambitions he may have are still hurt by it.
__________________
Everyone I know goes away in the end.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #611  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 12:25 AM
Tech House Tech House is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 749
I agree that it's horrible that his campaign committee would take a hit even after a judge finds in his favor, but this whole fiasco is making Casar look very good. He has risen above it and done his job without letting Pressley drag him into her sandbox, and that's a public relations coup that money can't buy. Thanks, Laura.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #612  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 1:09 AM
hookem hookem is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
Austin Monitor
Judge hits Laura Pressley and attorney with $100,000 sanctions in election lawsuit
http://www.austinmonitor.com/stories...ction-lawsuit/
Quote:
“There’s still a long way to go to end this,” Casar told the Monitor. “Some of my attorneys have said I might not get the money until into my second term.”
Haha.. Nice!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #613  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 5:05 AM
wwmiv wwmiv is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago
Posts: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
I agree that it's horrible that his campaign committee would take a hit even after a judge finds in his favor, but this whole fiasco is making Casar look very good. He has risen above it and done his job without letting Pressley drag him into her sandbox, and that's a public relations coup that money can't buy. Thanks, Laura.
His campaign committee isn't really gonna take the hit, because he'll be reimbursed in full by both Pressley and her attorney.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #614  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 1:55 PM
drummer drummer is offline
德克萨斯人 y'all
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asia by way of Texas
Posts: 2,719
And the likelihood of her ever getting elected in anything ever again went from "ain't gonna happen" to "ah hell no."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #615  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 3:56 PM
pscajunguy pscajunguy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
And the likelihood of her ever getting elected in anything ever again went from "ain't gonna happen" to "ah hell no."
The only reason I can imagine why this evil conspiracy sorceress has put everybody through all this crap is that she must have thought that she could get some kind of monetary benefit out of it by all the notoriety it would bring to her. I have asked friends from New York City, Philly and San Francisco who are the kind of people who would keep up with such kinds of things if they have heard of Laura Pressley, and they all have said no. Serves the evil old witch right! Now she gets to live amidst all the devastation she has created and everybody else has been freed from all the influence she thought she had over them.
Or maybe I'm just giving her too much credit and she is simply just mentally ill.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #616  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 7:34 PM
Tech House Tech House is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscajunguy View Post
Or maybe I'm just giving her too much credit and she is simply just mentally ill.
Bingo. It might not be the sort of "mental illness" that lands one at Austin State Hospital but it's the kind of self-reinforcing delusional mindset that makes people deny empirical evidence and cling to conspiracy theories and outright denial of reality. Maybe we're all susceptible to this in varying degrees. In Laura, it's obviously pathological and pernicious. Contrary evidence is inevitably regarded as evidence of the conspiracy. If you believe anything that is generally accepted by the mainstream then you're one of Them, and you can't be trusted. It makes no sense, it's utterly maddening, and it will forever be a part of human nature.

Last edited by Tech House; Jul 30, 2015 at 7:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #617  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 9:06 PM
ILUVSAT's Avatar
ILUVSAT ILUVSAT is offline
May the Schwartz be w/ U!
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: S.A. | Nashville
Posts: 887
Not sure if these have been posted or discussed, but, man, I really feel for you guys. How in the hell did Zimmerman get elected?

Candidate lost custody over abuse

Ethics complaint filed against austin councilman Don Zimmerman

Resident files second ethics complaint against-Don Zimmerman

Councilman Zimmerman's Facebook posts stir controversy

Council member Don Zimmerman sues austin

Texas lawyer argues that minorities were too stupid to understand ballot initiative they just passed



AND NOW...he is wants to severely cut or completely remove economic development funding!?!

For the sake of Austin, I hope, somehow, he is not able to complete his term in office. Under 10-1 rules, how can you "impeach" or remove a representative of a specific district?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #618  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 12:48 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: the upside down
Posts: 50,365
Well, while his district is in Austin, it's also still in Texas. It used to be that people looked to places like California, New York and Illinois for corrupt politicians, but Texas has had a rash of that lately, too. Dan Patrick, Ken Paxton, Tom Delay, and Rick Perry. Did I forget anyone?
__________________
take your protein pills and put your helmet on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #619  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 1:02 AM
drummer drummer is offline
德克萨斯人 y'all
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asia by way of Texas
Posts: 2,719
I'm sure more will surface eventually...what a mess.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #620  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 1:22 AM
hookem hookem is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,499
At least he's up for election next year. Hopefully there is a strong candidate to run against him, and one that will really hit hard on some of Zimmerman's past extremist/abusive behavior. I know his district might lean a little more conservative than most of Austin, but it includes tons of tech workers and new transplants, and I just can't believe the majority of district 6's residents would agree with his views.

If you look at his page on the city website, his bio reads like a campaign ad:
http://austintexas.gov/department/district-6

The other council members, even the 2 conservatives (Gallo and Troxclair), have what is far more appropriate for a taxpayer-paid site: A standard bio.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:08 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.