HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 6:11 AM
Honored Member

Dang, I'm too late to self-censor. I was going to heavily redact that diatribe but it appears that I'm stuck with my vitriolic display of douchebaggery. Such is the life of unrestrained late-night blowhards.

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 6:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
I understand your point well, as I've made the same type of comment in response to someone posting conservative commentary elsewhere, due to the way they were commenting as though we would all naturally be in agreement. But this is the politics thread, so as far as I'm concerned it's "anything goes" in that regard.

My caricature of white libertarians is based on what I see unfolding on a daily basis. "Libertarian" has become the fashionable label that right wingers apply to themselves in order to avoid being called Republicans (for whom they almost exclusively vote.) If you don't fit this mold then maybe you're old school, or maybe you don't understand the implications of your self-identified political philosophy.

Today's libertarians are heavily financed by radical John Birchers like the Koch Brothers, who are (to put it in the kindest, most gentle words possible) lying, cheating, self-centered gluttonous pigs. Their sole purpose in life seems to be to accumulate a steadily accelerating mass of power and wealth at an extraordinary and inexcusable cost to the entire planet.

Case in point: The GOP (Senate) just slashed the Earth Sciences research budgets of the NSF and NASA in order to defund research pertaining to climate change. These (GOP) sociopaths are committing crimes against humanity. This is just the latest example of the libertarian influence on conservatives, which has driven them to the radical-right fringe with respect to economic issues. It's a winner-take-all philosophy of "self' uber alles." It is in complete denial of the fact that we are a social species that made it to where we are today by way of cooperation, not rugged individualism and competition.

In the immortal words of Dennis Miller, "Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong." AKA, YMMV.
Today's liberals are recycled Eisenhower Republicans. Today's Tea Party is recycled Southern Democrats States Rightsers. (that might not be a word, but I made it one.) I'll bet you that it all gets recycled again, just like it always does. Remember, William F. Buckley fought like hell with the John Birchers, once he got to know them, and he also claimed that Saul Alinsky was
an organizational genius. He shocked a lot of Conservatives when he railed against the criminalization of marijuana users in his own National Review when he was 78 years old. He wrote that even Conservatives had to intellectually resist the dogma of laziness..."intelligent deference to tradition and stability can evolve into intellectual sloth and moral fanaticism, as when conservatives simply decline to look up from dogma because the effort to raise their heads and reconsider is too great". Strange things happen in politics. Look at what happened to Barry Goldwater. Before he died, he practically became a gay activist and hastened the return of The Canal to Panama!

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscajunguy View Post
Today's liberals are recycled Eisenhower Republicans. Today's Tea Party is recycled Southern Democrats States Rightsers. (that might not be a word, but I made it one.) I'll bet you that it all gets recycled again, just like it always does. Remember, William F. Buckley fought like hell with the John Birchers, once he got to know them, and he also claimed that Saul Alinsky was
an organizational genius. He shocked a lot of Conservatives when he railed against the criminalization of marijuana users in his own National Review when he was 78 years old. He wrote that even Conservatives had to intellectually resist the dogma of laziness..."intelligent deference to tradition and stability can evolve into intellectual sloth and moral fanaticism, as when conservatives simply decline to look up from dogma because the effort to raise their heads and reconsider is too great". Strange things happen in politics. Look at what happened to Barry Goldwater. Before he died, he practically became a gay activist and hastened the return of The Canal to Panama!
Hey, this this thread is for name calling and hate towards people who do not share your opinion. How dare you make an intelligent, thoughtful post.

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 8:34 PM

Yeah, I'd rather keep the political stuff to a minimum. There is a place for that on the forum, but I don't want to ruin what we have here in the Austin section by possibly running off people who contribute here positively to the development discussion.

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 8:39 PM

One of the Georgetown city council members didn't turn off his microphone when he went to the can during Tuesday's council meeting.

http://austin.blog.statesman.com/201...on-microphone/

Old Posted May 3, 2015, 5:54 PM

brigid shea please go away and never come back on any day.Let the people in SW Austin have the planned roads . The vote for 45 passed BITCH...I knew she and ekhardt were going to be trouble...They are dinosaurs from the 1970's...

Old Posted May 3, 2015, 8:26 PM

The Mopac toll lane expansion is going to be ugly as sin, though. And it's going to be highly visible from parts of Zilker Park. I also wonder how high it'll be when viewed from the Zilker Clubhouse.

Old Posted May 3, 2015, 8:42 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The Mopac toll lane expansion is going to be ugly as sin, though. And it's going to be highly visible from parts of Zilker Park. I also wonder how high it'll be when viewed from the Zilker Clubhouse.
They won't be able to built it too high, given that the Zilker Clubhouse has a protected view of the dome.

Old Posted May 3, 2015, 9:11 PM

That's right, I sort of forgot about that, but I also meant the view of the river. That might also not be a problem, though, because the view of the river is just south of what is the beginning of the existing bridge. The view of the capitol is smack dab in the middle of the bridge, though.

I do worry, though, that even if the new bridge structure itself doesn't block the view, then the street lights on the new structure could. That doesn't sound like much of a problem, but when you're trying to get photos of the skyline at night the light from them could pose a problem with their lights being more into the view. This is just such a great view. There are times of the year at night when the moon rises east of downtown and the moonlight reflects in the middle of the river.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 2:42 AM

Laura Pressley update:

How much has election challenge cost Laura Pressley and Greg Casar?
Austin American-Statesman
June 11, 2015

Quote:
Almost three weeks ago, a judge tossed out Austin City Council candidate Laura Pressley’s contest of the runoff election she lost to Council Member Greg Casar — but it’s not over yet.

Pressley has posted a message on her website asking for donations to fund an appeal of her election contest, which by law takes the form of a lawsuit against Casar. Meanwhile, Casar’s supporters held a fundraiser Wednesday evening to help cover the legal costs he’s racked up.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 1:11 AM
德克萨斯人 y'all

We should start a petition to have her arrested and locked away for a while...just so Casar can do the job he was elected to do.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 1:03 AM

Casar made a joke about it at 57:20 in Item 43(Part 3 of 3) here: http://austintx.swagit.com/play/06112015-651/0/

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 10:31 PM
德克萨斯人 y'all

Awesome - I like how he conveniently didn't say her name yet every single person in the room knew who and what he was talking about.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 4:40 AM

Here's another one to give the boot to. I don't even care what your position is on the US Supreme Court ruling on Friday, discussions about that really have no place in local politics, and it's a waste of Austin taxpayers money to be discussing it when other issues are supposed to be dealt with. Local governments are not a legislating body that can affect change on the issue. I'm still glad I voted against the expanded council district plan.

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local...ersy/29405673/
Quote:
Councilman Zimmerman's Facebook posts stir controversy

Shannon Murray, KVUE 10:31 p.m. CDT June 27, 2015

AUSTIN -- Comments on social media that appear to have been written by Austin Council Member Don Zimmerman are sparking outrage on the Internet.

In the post on Facebook, the District 6 representative appears to compare same-sex marriages to pedophilia. Zimmerman tells another user to replace "gay" with "pedophile" and that "there is no such thing as pedophilia, only intergenerational love." Saturday Zimmerman attended a town hall event and those posts led to some tense moments.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 5:13 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago
Quote:
Here's another one to give the boot to. I don't even care what your position is on the US Supreme Court ruling on Friday, discussions about that really have no place in local politics, and it's a waste of Austin taxpayers money to be discussing it when other issues are supposed to be dealt with. Local governments are not a legislating body that can affect change on the issue. I'm still glad I voted against the expanded council district plan.

So not only does he think gay people are all pedophiles, but he appears to have no issue with pedophilia? Both of those things are abhorrent.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 5:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Kevin, I so totally agree with you. Arguments about whether Texas law. which states sexual intercourse, in your personal privacy with an animal, is legal, as long as you do not "torture" that animal is/is not more appropriate than what the Supreme Court just ruled will never be solved or agreed upon by the people on both sides of the argument. It only escalates the fight. Since this can never be changed, it makes a lot more sense to deal with issues where we can actually come to a compromise which will actually benefit at least some of the people involved. City politicians are not thought police who can solve all our moral issues. They are here to fix potholes and make sure we have clean water to drink. Oh, and I forgot, to support our mission on this forum, LOL.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 7:48 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

It is exactly for this reason that for so long I was against single member districts because I knew that one of the outlying districts especially far north would produce a moronic hate filled council member. He doesn't represent the values of Austin only for those in Williamson County.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 11:50 PM

See...this is why we need young, new world thinking individuals in public office. These anti pot, anti gay bigots should and hopefully soon, just fade away. At last Saturday's town hall meeting, he refused to address his comments to a couple of Austin residents who were pressing him for clarification of his remarks, but did throw a question back at them telling them he'd like to know how his comments affected his district, District 6. One of the residents at the meeting, a Mark Walters, is going to file an ethics complaint against Zimmerman on Monday because he believes Zimmerman has violated the COA's human resource code that basically says as a council member, he has an obligation to represent all residents and citizens of the city regardless of race, creed, sexual origin and such. As an elected official he is tasked with advocating for constituents and protecting them from discrimination.
His comment imo shows his reluctance to do that which to me is enough reason for his removal from his council seat.

source....AAS 6/28 edition.

Last edited by the Genral; Jun 29, 2015 at 12:18 AM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 5:08 AM

File this one under State Politics:

Attorney General Paxton could face first-degree felony case
Tanya Eiserer, WFAA
July 1, 2015

Quote:
Special prosecutor Kent Schaffer told News 8 Wednesday afternoon that the Texas Rangers uncovered new evidence during the investigation that led to the securities fraud allegations against the sitting attorney general.

"The Rangers went out to investigate one thing, and they came back with information on something else," Schaffer told News 8. "It's turned into something different than when they started."

Schaffer, a Houston criminal defense attorney, said the securities fraud allegations involve amounts well in excess of $100,000. He declined to comment specifics of the fraud allegations.

A first-degree felony conviction is punishable by up to life in prison.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
See...this is why we need young, new world thinking individuals in public office. These anti pot, anti gay bigots should and hopefully soon, just fade away. At last Saturday's town hall meeting, he refused to address his comments to a couple of Austin residents who were pressing him for clarification of his remarks, but did throw a question back at them telling them he'd like to know how his comments affected his district, District 6. One of the residents at the meeting, a Mark Walters, is going to file an ethics complaint against Zimmerman on Monday because he believes Zimmerman has violated the COA's human resource code that basically says as a council member, he has an obligation to represent all residents and citizens of the city regardless of race, creed, sexual origin and such. As an elected official he is tasked with advocating for constituents and protecting them from discrimination.
His comment imo shows his reluctance to do that which to me is enough reason for his removal from his council seat.

source....AAS 6/28 edition.
Rather than try to remove Zimmerman from office and involve the city in expensive litigation that would probably focus on Zimmerman's First Amendment rights rather than his actual offensive comments, I would prefer to see him treated like a pariah here in Austin. I doubt that other council members are going to want to associate with him or cooperate with him over the next two years of his term. He has made lasting enemies, and I hope to see him squirm. I am confident that he will not be re-elected. His margin of victory was quite slim and will likely erode going forward. Maybe the council could pass some kind of censure resolution just for good measure. They could probably muster up the votes needed to pass.

Last edited by austlar1; Jul 2, 2015 at 8:53 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin