HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 1:53 AM

At least Renteria and Casar are winning their districts. Council could be interesting with Troxlair, Gallo, and Zimmerman.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 2:02 AM

I watched the debate last night, and I just didn't like what Adler was saying. He was talking a lot without saying anything. It felt like typical political jargon. Martinez actually laid out what he would do in response to each question. Adler even seemed caught off guard sometimes. Anyway, I can't believe anyone actually think this guy is going to be anti-development. He's an eminent domain lawyer. If anything he'll speed up the process, which is good for us skyscraper geeks, but that's not everything when considering a mayor, obviously.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 2:13 AM

I agree. I don't have any negative opinions of Adler and hope he will do well, but his remarks lacked substance. His main point for transportation was staggering work hours. I'm not sure how the city would be able to achieve that other than providing incentives to companies that offer that.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 3:11 AM

Our city council will be a weird mix of NIMBYs and conservatives (with a couple progressives thrown in). Few that actually care about the development of Austin. We need more at-large seats. At least 3.

All of them together. Try not to barf. At least Morrison will be gone, but I believe Leslie Pool will be the worst NIMBY we've ever seen.

Add to that group, an unexpected (likely) victor in Sheri Gallo. Here are some of her greatest hits on her website:
  • I think priorities need to change with our new city government, beginning with a new emphasis on the needs of our neighborhoods, not the needs of downtown or tourists.
  • I believe that there should be less government, not more
  • As a fiscal conservative, Sheri thought the rail bond proposal was too expensive
  • SHERI will work FOR REAL TRAFFIC SOLUTIONS which will ease our traffic nightmare by adding roads
  • SHERI OPPOSES HIGH-DENSITY DEVELOPMENT in our existing neighborhoods which would increase traffic and overburden our already crowded local schools. Sheri will join with her neighbors in Northwest Hills to oppose the Austin Oaks PUD.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 3:21 AM

Agreed about Pool. I voted for Boyt, but this is going to be a tough district for urban development.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 3:58 AM

Zimmerman, and Troxclair will be a thorn in the side of the NIMBY crowd. Gallo will be so so but better than Mandy..Troxclair will help with HWY 45 and Zimmerman, who is eccentric to say the least, should be in tovo's face constantly. I hope their leads hold

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 4:39 AM

According to the latest results, Troxclair and Scruggs are in a dead heat (50-50) with 99% of precincts reporting. I'm honestly hoping Scruggs comes up ahead.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 4:40 AM

Let's go, Scruggs!!!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
Zimmerman, and Troxclair will be a thorn in the side of the NIMBY crowd. Gallo will be so so but better than Mandy..Troxclair will help with HWY 45 and Zimmerman, who is eccentric to say the least, should be in tovo's face constantly. I hope their leads hold
This is a pretty absurd comment. Why do you think Zimmerman and Troxclair would be a thorn in the NIMBYs' side? Gallo will be fucking awful. Way worse than Dealey. I smell a Republican.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
This is a pretty absurd comment. Why do you think Zimmerman and Troxclair would be a thorn in the NIMBYs' side? Gallo will be fucking awful. Way worse than Dealey. I smell a Republican.
You smell right...Troxclair will help complete the HWY 45 loop and spit in the eye of the sos phonies

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 4:52 AM

Quote:
You smell right...Troxclair will help complete the HWY 45 loop and spit in the eye of the sos phonies
Gross.

The 10-1 will have been a disaster if we start letting Republicans back into our government. We need bigger districts and more at-large seats.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Gross.

The 10-1 will have been a disaster if we start letting Republicans back into our government. We need bigger districts and more at-large seats.
The affluent people are taking over..The way a city should be governed

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 5:18 AM

Quote:
.....and crony capitalism will follow.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 5:19 AM

Quote:
That's bigoted. Not to mention, wrong. Most of the city isn't affluent. The city should be governed to serve the majority. Thank goodness for Pio, Casar, and Houston. I don't think the Republicans will last more than 1 term. They'll make a fool of themselves and be booted from office in no time.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 5:21 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
That's bigoted.
I think it was a dumb comment, but I don't see it being any worse than your comment about Republicans.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I think it was a dumb comment, but I don't see it being any worse than your comment about Republicans.
It's wealth discrimination; the idea that people with less money are inherently less competent, which isn't true.

To me, the idea that people with more money ruling is a good thing just flies in the face of common sense. It hasn't worked out well for America. Why would it work out well for Austin? It creates oligarchy, concentration of power, cronyism, barriers to entry. It gums up the pipes of democracy and degrades meritocracy.

Also, earlier I forgot about Delia Garza and Ann Kitchen when I mentioned the progressive bloc. So that makes five, which ain't bad. They should have some power. I'm not sure how Kitchen will vote, but she is at least a Democrat. And Tovo and Pool will, at least, be liberal on some issues. Not sure where Adler falls in the spectrum, politically. He seems like a centrist. So, at minimum, we should have a ruling coalition, to drown out the anti-taxation voices. And, Troxclair is just barely scraping by Scruggs, so she may be on a pretty short leash. She may not be able to get away with too much right-wing rhetoric/activity.

Last edited by Syndic; Dec 17, 2014 at 5:57 AM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
According to the latest results, Troxclair and Scruggs are in a dead heat (50-50) with 99% of precincts reporting. I'm honestly hoping Scruggs comes up ahead.
The American Statesman is showing that Troxclair won...by 57 votes.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 6:24 AM

I think the issue is that no one wants to feel left out and helpless. That's why it's offensive to people to hear someone say that middle income people can't or shouldn't lead, or that Republicans can't or shouldn't have a role in the process. I worry that Austin's future government and politics is going to become unnecessarily politically charged, and that it's going to hurt the city by taking the attention away from the things that matter. It shouldn't be about trying to rock the boat to get it to tip to one side and think that's the solution to the things that bug you. Politics is interesting, I generally like the ins and outs of it, but I also really dislike the tension and backstabbing that comes with it. Whatever happens affects all of us, so there's no point in trying to screw over someone else.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 6:30 AM
Honored Member

Zimmerman could turn out to be the Ted Cruz of Austin City Council, holding council meetings hostage to Cruzian tactics in service of his extremist anti-government and anti-tax beliefs. But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised; he could moderate his tone and perhaps inject a necessary perspective that could help balance the council and possibly help prevent wasteful spending, insider deals, favoritism... I'm hoping for this, that he will use his boundless political fighting energy to combat corruption rather than mindlessly opposing anything that could potentially raise his property taxes.

Last edited by Tech House; Dec 17, 2014 at 6:45 AM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
The American Statesman is showing that Troxclair won...by 57 votes.
Incredible showing for Scruggs considering that this district is largely made up of Circle C and Circle C wannbe neighborhoods. I have a bad feeling about Troxclair, but maybe she is not as right wing as she is made out to be. She is going to push for the 45 Loop because that is what her Hays County connections want to see built. I suspect she got a lot of her campaign financed by that crowd since it is who she was working for when she decided to run for city council. She probably won't be too concerned with downtown development one way or the other. I have no idea what her alleged Tea Party affiliation might mean in terms of her positions on various issues. She won't want to spend money on expensive municipal projects, and that might not be such a bad idea. Austin is starting to carry an awful lot of long term debt that could come back to haunt us in the years ahead.

This election has proven to me something I have long suspected about Austin voters. We are not collectively anywhere near as liberal and progressive as we like to think we are. There is a strong conservative streak that runs deep in the large parts of the community, and it really demonstrated itself in the election of Adler as mayor. I think Martinez lost this election because he is Hispanic. A majority of the voters, especially in the December runoff, were white/anglos living west of IH35 who simply could not bring themselves to vote for a Hispanic mayor in spite of the fact that the man who got elected was a well financed and well spoken political amateur who really had nothing new or different to offer the voters. Martinez is a skillful politician who understands the municipal government well and has proven himself to be willing to represent all kinds of interests in the city. It was not enough to put him over the top. I have nothing against Adler, but I think Martinez is a nice man who would have made a good mayor.

Last edited by austlar1; Dec 17, 2014 at 8:42 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin