HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 7:49 PM

3downnation reporting Collaros extension is for 1.8 million so 600k a season

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 9:13 PM

IIRC he's making 500k per year now. He's highest paid in the league, and for good reason.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 9:18 PM

I admit I didn't think too much of it when Collaros was signed in 2019, I figured he'd tide us over until Nichols was healthy again. But I don't think anyone in their wildest dreams would have expected what came next.

If Collaros manages to lead the Bombers to a third straight Grey Cup then he will be right alongside Kenny Ploen in the pantheon of all-time great Bomber QBs.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 2:48 PM

It definitely feels odd that the Bombers has journeyman QBs Khari Jones and Kevin Glenn spend multiple seasons with the team and have another quickly move from player to head coach (Dinwiddie) yet the greatest two QBs in the last thirty years are going to be Collaros and Strev.

Also seen lots of chatter from fans that O'Shea is on the verge of Bud Grant legendary status in terms of wins as a head coach. I think they may be actively soliciting artist proposals for his statue.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 2:58 PM

^ Why wait until he's old, give him the statue now

But yes, to your point about QBs, I am of the generation where the great Bomber QBs I've seen in my lifetime are Dunigan, Jones and Glenn. I'm a little too young to remember Clements, and I'm not sure that McManus and Salisbury qualify. So it is a bit of a mind-bender to think that even if he never threw another pass, Collaros easily surpasses them all in terms of accomplishments as a Bomber. It is not exaggerating to call him a Bomber living legend at this point!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 3:19 PM

When all is set and done I would rank Collaros similar to Tom Clements in the 80s. Clements was here 5 years one grey cup victory and one mop. Collaros will surpass the mop count this year.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 3:25 PM

The two consecutive Grey Cups and win/loss record just puts Collaros above everyone else except Ken Ploen. And by extension I don't think the Bombers have had a better team/era since the Bud Grant years 60 years ago.

Sometimes I sit in the stands and think back on watching Justin Goltz or whoever struggle through lost revolving door seasons at CanadInns. It's like trying to imagine winter in the middle of July... you can't really, but it does make you appreciate what you've got right now.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 3:38 PM

Right?! The ongoing Bomber COVID dynasty is the best in my lifetime. I was too young to appreciate the late 80's and slogged through the 25 years of mostly garbage teams between '90 and now.

Enjoy the good times!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 7:52 PM

^^ I think the Jones/Stegal era seemed to have lots of true potential but most of the time the Bombers were in the east and Montreal was also a very strong team so it was a lot more challenging to make it to the championship game.

What I find interesting is while the current team has good players it is more an even talent level across a wider breadth of players than having a smaller handful of break out stars and a bunch of lower skilled supporting players.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 11:56 PM

Stegall definetly the bright spot.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 2:31 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Stegall definetly the bright spot.
It's too bad we couldn't win a championship for him.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
It's too bad we couldn't win a championship for him.
Kevin Glenn getting injured in 2007 east final still pisses me off as he would have destroyed the riders in the 2007 grey cup.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 3:28 PM

So disappointing. It was like a balloon deflating, making a farting noise lol

I remember sitting in my friends basement watching the game when Glenn broke his arm. We had tickets for the Grey Cup in Toronto, which was a great time by the way.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 3:57 PM

Quote:

I remember sitting in my friends basement watching the game when Glenn broke his arm. We had tickets for the Grey Cup in Toronto, which was a great time by the way.
Haha, it was the same scenario for me, sitting in a friend's basement, we were excited as all hell, and then... it happened.

[IMG]https://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1...cape_960/image.[/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 3:58 PM

Quote:

Haha, it was the same scenario for me, sitting in a friend's basement, we were excited as all hell, and then... it happened.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 7:53 PM

Booo. Hisss.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 7:54 PM

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 7:55 PM

So this ended up being a lot like the 2007 Cup in some ways. Injured quarterback leads to Grey Cup loss. Not the whole story but damn. Collaros was not right yesterday.

Legghio needs to go. Not all his fault. But terrible punting and the missed points of kicks cost them the game.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 11:11 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
So this ended up being a lot like the 2007 Cup in some ways. Injured quarterback leads to Grey Cup loss. Not the whole story but damn. Collaros was not right yesterday.

Legghio needs to go. Not all his fault. But terrible punting and the missed points of kicks cost them the game.
I think the problems were up and down the roster yesterday. Collaros played his worst game of the season, the defence couldn't come up with a stop when it mattered, and they had plenty of chances, Legghio got the laces and looked to be kicking a unbelievably bad kick when we had a chance to regain the lead. Didn't capitalize on the turnover in the first half. I could go on, and yet the bombers somehow still were within a field goal of winning. What got me was the call to try a pass right before the field goal on second down and 5. Should have went back to the ground for a bunch of reasons. As for some of those gadget plays, hindsight they look bad, but if we pull them off, Buck Pierce looks like a genius.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 11:20 PM

Quote:

The Bomber fans behind me at the game said before the FG attempt that there was no way he would make a 47 yarder. I assume he drilled it too low to try to get the distance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan