HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 2:52 PM

Wow, a lot of confidence floating around here about sweeping the Riders over the next two games.

Since there's so much talk about the Bombers winning streak this season, how about the Bombers losing streak over the past decade. From 2005–2015 11 straight losses at Mosaic in the LDC. Last year ended the streak, yes, but the Riders were garbage last year. This is not last year.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
Last year ended the streak, yes, but the Riders were garbage last year. This is not last year.

Riders are in last place in the west. How are they any better lol?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 3:08 PM

^ "This is not last year" but all you want to talk about is the years prior to that?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 3:20 PM

Troll time.

Anyways, confidence hasn't been this high in some time for Bomberland. Don't get butt hurt because the Riders aren't doing so hot.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
Riders are in last place in the west. How are they any better lol?
Well, going into the 2016 LDC, the Riders were 1-8 and riding a 5 game losing streak that would be stretched to 7 games before they earned another victory. This year the Riders are 4-4, with their last 2 games being dominant wins over BC and Edmonton.

Yup, I'd say they are better than last year.

That being said, the Bombers are looking very strong right now as well. Should be a couple of good games upcoming.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Troll time.

Anyways, confidence hasn't been this high in some time for Bomberland. Don't get butt hurt because the Riders aren't doing so hot.
While the score hasn't always reflected in the Bombers, outside of this week's game v Montreal, have been fairly dominate in terms of time of possession and actually moving the ball somewhat effectively on offense.

That said, the Riders put up a pretty convincing game v Edmonton this week.

The question is will Winnipeg manage to continue to work well as a whole unit like they have been lately or will the Riders find ways to exploit mistakes made by the Bombers. Will be an interesting game come Sunday as I don't feel either team is walking into the game with a definitive advantage.

Also interesting to watch will be the back to back Battle of Alberta games. Has Edmonton just had two weeks of bad lucks or were they truly pretenders to being a beast in the west. Calgary will likely get to the bottom of that and the Power Rankings will no doubt start to reflect Edmonton's true position in the league this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
As somewhat of an aside, although the crossover is a definite possibility for the Bombers this year... I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on consolidating to 1 division.
Re Bombers - they are currently in a race to host a playoff game this year. If they sink to fourth in the west and claim the crossover that would truly be depressing.

Re eliminating divisions in the CFL, the complications go beyond just the playoff picture. Currently western teams play 3x two teams, 2x two teams and 2x everyone in the east. If you don't have east v west anymore and you don't add a team you effectively need to cut the season for every team by two games so you only play every team 2x. I am not a fan of the current structure so it wouldn't be a loss in my eyes.

--

In terms of the Men's World Cup, if there is one city/venue in Canada that is a lock it is BC Place. The renovations were done specifically to host events like that and soccer was given first class consideration in those renos. When up against venues with much larger capacity there is no change that Mosaic makes it through unless they are hosting what amount to throw away qualifier round games. It is actually somewhat smart that IGF walked away from hosting those games at a crazy high cost.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Re Bombers - they are currently in a race to host a playoff game this year. If they sink to fourth in the west and claim the crossover that would truly be depressing.
But if the Bombers don't host a game, then it would actually be better to cross over... I mean, who would you rather have your divisional playoff games against, Calgary and Edmonton or Toronto and Ottawa? Just make it to the Grey Cup and then anything can happen as Ottawa demonstrated once again last year.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 6:30 PM

For World Cup, I didn't realize only a couple venues will host games. Might as well just run with the big dog and save everyone else the headache.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 8:52 PM

I have a feeling world cup will just be Vancouver and Toronto. I can't imagine Olympic Stadium is anywhere near able to host an event like that without major renovations - and it's already a fairly useless white elephant, so I don't think public reaction would be in favour of pouring a hell of a lot more money into it.

Where as you mentioned, BC Place is pretty much ready to go, and Rogers Centre in Toronto has had a lot of concourse upgrades over the last couple years, and any additional renos needed would likely be well used.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 9:01 PM

^ What is the Big O missing? Maybe a few million bucks worth of technical upgrades to accommodate modern-day broadcasting equipment and other back of the house stuff, etc. I don't think it would be a huge challenge for Olympic Stadium to host a few matches.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
But if the Bombers don't host a game, then it would actually be better to cross over... I mean, who would you rather have your divisional playoff games against, Calgary and Edmonton or Toronto and Ottawa? Just make it to the Grey Cup and then anything can happen as Ottawa demonstrated once again last year.
The challenge is in the history of the cross-over format in the CFL, the cross over team has never gone on to appear in the Grey Cup.

Also meant to include in earlier, Calgary has never been worse than second place this season. The only time they get listed in third is when teams have played that week moving them head before Calgary places. A good example would have been if you looked at the CFL site after the Bombers win on Thursday but before Calgary played on Saturday night.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The challenge is in the history of the cross-over format in the CFL, the cross over team has never gone on to appear in the Grey Cup.
There's a first time for everything... there is a huge imbalance between the east and west this season. I think there's a strong chance that the 4th place western team could make it to the Grey Cup. Obviously it's tough given that you have to win 2 road games to get to the Cup including one against the 1st place eastern team, but this year I think it's a pretty realistic scenario. Certainly it's no worse than being the 3rd place finisher in the west IMO in terms of your chances of making it.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 9:11 PM
BANNED

I think the CFL should just give automatic playoff births to the Division winners if the second place team in the East has a far worse record than the 5th place West Division team. However, I doubt the CFL would ever go for a format like that.

The inter-division record is 19-3-1. It would have been worse if BC had completed the comeback in Ottawa.

Standings:

WEST:

Calgary 7-1-1
Winnipeg 7-2-0
Edmonton 7-2-0
BC 5-5-0

Saskatchewan 4-4-0

EAST:

Toronto 4-6-0
Ottawa 3-6-1

Montreal 3-6-0
Hamilton 0-8-0

Crossover game if season ended today: BC at Ottawa.

Last edited by Jets4Life; Aug 29, 2017 at 12:13 AM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 9:15 PM

Olympic Stadium still has to get a permit for use every time it's opened, due to the issues with the roof. If severe rain or 3cm+ of snow are in the forecast 24 hours in advance of an event, they cancel it. I know that was the case in 2015, and I don't think they've done anything to address the situation. I can't imagine FIFA taking that risk on their signature event.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 11:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Olympic Stadium still has to get a permit for use every time it's opened, due to the issues with the roof. If severe rain or 3cm+ of snow are in the forecast 24 hours in advance of an event, they cancel it. I know that was the case in 2015, and I don't think they've done anything to address the situation. I can't imagine FIFA taking that risk on their signature event.
With all due respect, what does this have to do with the Bombers?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I think the CFL should just give automatic playoff births to the Division winners if the second place team in the East has a far worse record than the 5th place West Division team. However, I doubt the CFL would ever go for a format like that.

The inter-division record is 19-3-1. It would have been worse if BC had completed the comeback in Ottawa.

Standings:

WEST:

Calgary 7-1-1
Winnipeg 7-2-0
Edmonton 7-2-0
BC 5-5-0

Saskatchewan 4-4-0

EAST:

Toronto 4-6-0
Ottawa 3-6-1

Montreal 3-6-0
Hamilton 0-8-0

Crossover game if season ended today: BC at Ottawa.
Umm that is the format. Division winners get first round bye into the playoffs. Been that way for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
With all due respect, what does this have to do with the Bombers?
Because there was a long discussion about venues for the World Cup.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 9:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Umm that is the format. Division winners get first round bye into the playoffs. Been that way for decades.
When did I say otherwise? I said first place teams should have automatic playoff births. I was referring to the second place team not being given a playoff spot if their record is inferior to the 5th place team in the opposing division. The Division winners get the bye. Depending on how the other teams fare, as of the current playoff format, either it will be the top 3 teams in each Division competing in the playoffs, or if the #4 team in one division has a superior record to the #3 team in the other division, then there will be a crossover game, with the 4th places team making the playoffs.

Quote:
Because there was a long discussion about venues for the World Cup.
Well I was trying to be polite, but it is off-topic. You keep bringing up venues for the World Cup, which is a subject that belongs in the Investors Group Stadium thread. This is a conversation about the Bombers. You may want to post it here. It would be more appropriate:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...23544&page=245

Last edited by Jets4Life; Aug 29, 2017 at 9:24 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 9:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Troll time.

I actually don't mind Rider Fans coming into the thread and trash talking. It just adds to the historical rivalry between the two teams. Besides, by Monday morning, someone who have egg on their faces.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 3:28 PM

No trolling intended. I'm just here to point out that both teams should be going into this game nervously. Someone's hot streak is going to be ending and neither team or fan base should be saying "This will be a cake walk" or "We're going to sweep this series". It's going to be hard fought and it's going to be nail biting the whole way. It's going to be a great couple of week of football!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 3:43 PM

While I think the LDC and Banjo Bowl will be hard fought and close games score wise the Bombers have been doing exceptionally well controlling the clock and pulling out wins late in the game. While I think the Riders will be respectable I think the Bombers leave Mosaic on Sunday with a 2-0 record at the new stadium.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan