HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 11:35 PM

There were a few games this year where the Bombers gave up a good lead only to lose or win by a small margin

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Blue Bombers head Mike O’Shea stopped shy saying he wants to return to the Winnipeg next year during his season-ending news conference on Wednesday.

“I like what we’ve started,” O’Shea said, “but I’m not prepared to discuss my contract or future with anybody but (general manager) Kyle (Walters).”
Quote:
O’Shea added a vote of confidence during his news conference to free-agent to-be Nichols, saying he had “no doubt” Nichols is the quarterback is he could win a Grey Cup with.
http://www.tsn.ca/o-shea-on-bombers-...arted-1.609498

Now I'm going to have nightmares about O'Shea getting snagged by the Argos and convincing Nichols to tag along... O'Shea wouldn't do that, would he?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 8:47 PM

I'm still not completely sold on O'Shea as a good coach. Or Nichols yet as a QB that will take them all the way. More convinced about Nichols to give him more time though.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 10:22 PM

Personally would like to see the Bombers bring back all four QBs (Nicholas, Davis, Glenn and Bennett) for next season. Davis and Bennett showed promise in the limited game time they got pre-season and Glenn is a nice insurance policy to have around.

It is somewhat interesting though that O'Shea and the Bombers org have not said anything publicly about a contract extension. They had lots of luck go their way this season but there is still room for improvement. It is also concerning how the team started the season. Fans were at the edge of the cliff ready to push O'Shea off around week six.

If you assert that O'Shea goes, who are the Bombers bringing in to replace him? Not sure that is necessarily a better path.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 3:29 PM

There are lots of good assistant coaches around the league who would be excellent head coaches. Replacing O'Shea would not be a big deal. Like I said, I think most of the success of the Bombers this season was more in spite of O'Shea than because of him. Anyway, it's probably moot, I think they are bringing him back.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 3:35 PM

It would seem the Bombers are priming up to move Lapo to Head Coach role again.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 3:40 PM

I have to say he did a pretty good job this year.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 4:29 PM

I am a LaPo fan and was disappointed to see him go, especially with the train wreck that followed. That said, the Bombers offense was horrible this season. Too many games were decided by the defense and kicking game with little in the way of offensive touch downs. Sure the offense was a huge improvement over the last couple of season but the hole was so deep it was just about impossible to get any worse. If the Bombers made LaPo the head coach I wouldn't be disappointed but something really needs to be done to sharpen the offense next year.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:05 PM

So who is going to be your starting QB? Durant, Nichols or someone else? What is happening on the Nichols signing?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:12 PM

^ Well, Durant is in Montreal now so I guess we're both spared that fate. There has been very little discussion about negotiations with Nichols... the general tone conveyed in the media (my interpretation, obviously others might feel differently) is that Nichols would more than likely be re-signing and there wasn't much to worry about.

Although that said, this DD trade has got me a little nervous about whether there is more news to come out of Regina today

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:23 PM

I've heard Nichols wants $400k/year. Is he worth it? I don't know. How much do the other starting QB's make?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Well, Durant is in Montreal now so I guess we're both spared that fate. There has been very little discussion about negotiations with Nichols... the general tone conveyed in the media (my interpretation, obviously others might feel differently) is that Nichols would more than likely be re-signing and there wasn't much to worry about.

Although that said, this DD trade has got me a little nervous about whether there is more news to come out of Regina today
Durant is a free agent in a month, so I would not be surprised to see him in Winnipeg. I am sure he would prefer playing with his buddy Dressler over Montreal.

Rider's cannot talk to Nichols or even mention him until he is a FA in a month.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Well, this is Chris Jones we're talking about, so I guess that means the press release has to wait a month

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:44 PM

^^ I have seen it said that the Bomber org would not have given Glenn an early release if they did not know with a high level of certainty that Nichols (or better) was going to be here. Separately there are rumors going around that Glenn is signing with the Riders.

Quote:
Durant is a free agent in a month, so I would not be surprised to see him in Winnipeg.
The general agreement in years past for the CFL is when a pending free agent is traded after the season the team they are going to effectively has a contract in place for them.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ I have seen it said that the Bomber org would not have given Glenn an early release if they did not know with a high level of certainty that Nichols (or better) was going to be here. Separately there are rumors going around that Glenn is signing with the Riders.

The general agreement in years past for the CFL is when a pending free agent is traded after the season the team they are going to effectively has a contract in place for them.

Agreed on both points. The Glenn thing was a big indicator that talks were on track with Nichols. Certainly none of the local sports columnists, who have never seen a hot coal they didn't try to fan into a raging fire, have suggested that anything is amiss.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 4:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Durant is a free agent in a month, so I would not be surprised to see him in Winnipeg. I am sure he would prefer playing with his buddy Dressler over Montreal.

Too late, Durant is a Montreal Alouette!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 4:58 PM

Durant isn't a Montreal Alouette until they actually sign him. In theory, he could turn down the Als, wait for free agency and sign with a different team.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 6:40 PM

^ As of right now, Durant is an Alouette. Just like Nichols is a Bomber. They're both under contract. When whatever the date free agency hits, then they are no longer on any team.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 3:28 PM

Nichols resigned with the Bombers for another three years. If Durrant comes here hope he is prepared to take third string money, run short yardage plays and otherwise spend most of the season holding a clipboard...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 3:47 PM

3 years!

News that good calls for 3 dancing bananas!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan