HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 1:53 AM

How about a nice pedestrian bridge above the lake and a tunnel for cars going under (the lake).

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 2:12 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith_atx View Post
How about a nice pedestrian bridge above the lake and a tunnel for cars going under (the lake).
That would be expensive but in an ideal world, that would be fine, along with a full subway system..

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 3:22 AM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
This is what I'm referring to. With the proposed south shore development and all of this Rainey activity, there HAS to be a connection somewhere. This would give access points from Congress, Barton Springs, and Riverside.

I love this! The exact positioning may need work but the added connectivity is amazing! Perhaps two transit dedicated lanes (one each way), a protected bike path and sidewalk(s)!? Of course there's no room for inefficient single occupant vehicles. Let's do it!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 6:52 AM

There was opposition to this project at the Design Commission meeting from folks living in Rainey area. But anyway, the Commission voted in favor of the needed FAR increase.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 7:04 AM
Meh

I've always thought that if you're going to through the effort of building another bridge that you should include as many modes of transportation as possible. That means road, rail, pedestrian and bike lanes. There aren't many major cities with a major river running past its downtown with only three bridges connecting it. I wouldn't really include I-35 since it mostly handles through traffic.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
There was opposition to this project at the Design Commission meeting from folks living in Rainey area. But anyway, the Commission voted in favor of the needed FAR increase.
My building has a small but militant group of owners that were here in 2006 (and generally speaking are empty-nest retirees), and have been consistently trying to turn Rainey St. back into a small neighborhood.... they would certainly be against this....

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 7:04 PM

Again, the solution for N-S connectivity for Rainey are the I-35 improvements which eliminate the double intersection at River St and the frontage and provide auto access to the 35 mainlines without stopping at either the Cesar light going NB or Riverside exit going SB.

This is the most likely bridge to be built for transit (Riverside/Airport Line and Circulator Routes) and pedestrians:

It would be nice if there was a better East-West connection to Rainey but Waller Place is going to eat up all that land and Willow St.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 4:24 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Again, the solution for N-S connectivity for Rainey are the I-35 improvements which eliminate the double intersection at River St and the frontage and provide auto access to the 35 mainlines without stopping at either the Cesar light going NB or Riverside exit going SB.

This is the most likely bridge to be built for transit (Riverside/Airport Line and Circulator Routes) and pedestrians:

It would be nice if there was a better East-West connection to Rainey but Waller Place is going to eat up all that land and Willow St.

I agree with this. It seems that any crossing into Rainey would be difficult to get approved anyway. And, since the Statesman building will likely go away at some point, the angle wouldn't necessarily need to be so sharp there and could provide a backbone for a grid for future development on that site (and hopefully the neighboring state-owned sites, etc.).

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 2:26 PM

The best BEST outcome would be to expand Red River past the Kimpton, around the back side of the Mexican American Cultural Center, and across the lake to connect with East Riverside Dr.

It would extend an important north south arterial across the lake, though there would be a chokepoint at Davis and/or Driskill.

EDIT: and generally speaking, I should note that though I consider myself an urbanist, I'm also a pragmatist. So while I think there's a good chance that the combustion engine goes away sooner rather than later, cars -- or rather, individual transportation modes that continue to require infrastructure -- aren't going anywhere in my lifetime. It'll be generations before we're so luxuriously bathed in transit options that we'll be able to get rid of our cars completely -- if ever. (Y'all have seen as well as I have how hard it was to get the mobility plan together -- and that's just to get us to a C- level of transit).

But either way, cars are here to stay until the end, so it behooves us to plan for them as well.

Last edited by We vs us; Mar 27, 2019 at 2:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
The best BEST outcome would be to expand Red River past the Kimpton, around the back side of the Mexican American Cultural Center, and across the lake to connect with East Riverside Dr.

It would extend an important north south arterial across the lake, though there would be a chokepoint at Davis and/or Driskill.

EDIT: and generally speaking, I should note that though I consider myself an urbanist, I'm also a pragmatist. So while I think there's a good chance that the combustion engine goes away sooner rather than later, cars -- or rather, individual transportation modes that continue to require infrastructure -- aren't going anywhere in my lifetime. It'll be generations before we're so luxuriously bathed in transit options that we'll be able to get rid of our cars completely -- if ever. (Y'all have seen as well as I have how hard it was to get the mobility plan together -- and that's just to get us to a C- level of transit).

But either way, cars are here to stay until the end, so it behooves us to plan for them as well.
That strategy would require a good amount of eminent domain, considering that the driveway alongside the Van Zandt and Shore Condos is private property. Would be nice though...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
That strategy would require a good amount of eminent domain, considering that the driveway alongside the Van Zandt and Shore Condos is private property. Would be nice though...
You're definitely right. I don't ever think it will happen, it just makes sense from a traffic flow standpoint, IMO.

I walk over to Rainey on my lunch hour pretty ofern, and it's going to get really knotty as these buildings go up. Won't take much to jam it up.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 3:31 PM

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 3:45 PM

I like this one of the parking base.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 2:16 AM

Their June news letter came out yesterday, and they added a few more renderings.

This is called a "Cenote Pool".

https://www.44eastaveaustin.com/44-e...ter-june-2019/

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 2:27 AM
クラブトクヨ

The pool looks great!!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 11:27 PM

The site plan may be close to approval because a permit for the construction of the tower was filed today:

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=805989

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 6:40 PM

The tower has changed in the current rendering that Page features on it's website. The podium, greenery and east elevation are different. It looks better IMO.

https://pagethink.com/v/project-deta...ast-Avenue/ep/

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 7:20 PM

Only somewhat related . . . looking at the smidgen of the Towers of Town Lake property in the lower right hand portion of that shot . . .

. . . if a developer was able to buy those folks out, they'd take control of enough open acreage to easily fit four (or five, or six?) towers. That's an amazing amount of not-particularly dense land in a very in-demand section of the city.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 1:51 PM

Here's a larger version of the new rendering.

https://www.44eastaveaustin.com/

Last edited by The ATX; Jun 27, 2019 at 12:39 AM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 3:02 PM
クラブトクヨ

I like it! That square cutout near the top is interesting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin