HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
let's hope we don't fully retreat to John Buck doing one spec as-of-right building a year and that's it for center city
This cycle is toast. Strap in boys and enjoy the jobs already approved.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post

Not hundreds, but Sterling Bay was sold the city parcel North of the North Ave Home Depot at a discount to Omni group's higher bid. The fact is SB is being given preferential treatment here as the "home team champ" which is exactly the kind of clouted bullshit that needs to stop. If Omni is willing to pay more for the facility management garage than Sterling Bay, then it should be sold to Omni. I don't care if SB is trying to do something big and fancy here, the city needs every dime it can get.

Same goes for this TIF bullshit, no go F yourselves SB. In what world does a swath of riverfront land smack dab between the two premier neighborhoods of Chicago's north side need a TIF? If you want a TIF you can have one but it's going to be for a train line from the Brown Line to the Blue Line so your clusterfuck of a plan can't totally trash traffic circulation on the entire near North Side.

As I've said several times already: GO GET 'EM LORI!
A sale is not all about the final figure.

The Onni number was higher, yes. However, Onni's offer required HIGHER density zoning changes than SB's offer. Onni's offer also had a deferred close whereas SB's offer had a more immediate close. Time value of money reduces millions of dollars on Onni's offer by many millions of dollars in PV. Finally, Onni's offer also required the City to pay to demolish the existing building whereas SB's offer had SB doing demo. That lower's the net value of Onni's offer even further. I don't know what assumed return the City uses in the analysis, but given its assumptions in pension returns say it's 7.5%. At an 18-month delay, Onni's offer is therefore worth about $11.8 million less than face value. What is the cost of higher density? Who knows. Demo on that warehouse is probably $750k or more. Just those two items put SB's PV bid above Onni's. If I can come to that conclusion in 5 minutes with publicly-available information then a responsible reporter can do the same rather than spreading nonsense.

Regarding TIF, if you think a development can exist without help in infrastructure and you want to put down a hard line there, then congrats, you've earned the coming lull in development across the City. The only hope for this cycle to continue in a strong manner was to get LY and/or 78 fully approved by the City prior to the new administration taking over.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 7:16 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose Island Guru View Post
Regarding TIF, if you think a development can exist without help in infrastructure and you want to put down a hard line there, then congrats, you've earned the coming lull in development across the City.
Except nobody, especially Lightfoot, is saying this is all or nothing. That's a strawman argument.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
Except nobody, especially Lightfoot, is saying this is all or nothing. That's a strawman argument.
The guy I quoted literally said "In what world does [LY] need a TIF?"

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 10:35 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoar View Post
All of the arguments against Sterling Bay and Lincoln Yards development sound good, but reality is, this is where we are. In business development timing is everything, we can all commentate , and that's good , but in the end those with power and money will somehow find a way. Rahm played a smart hand in his statement, by saying I will not call for a vote, he did not say WE will not call for a vote. Very shrewd.
Yes, I think Emanuel, Reifman, and Sterling Bay prepared for this possibility and I sense they are prepared to make more concessions to secure the TIF deal this week. Not so sure about Related since they have not faced the same levels of opposition, but probably.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoar View Post
Oh yes, there are just hundreds of developers lined up to develop environmentally challenged areas like Lincoln Yards. I have no problem giving some subsidies to projects like LY, because they have a potential to leverage the T.I.F, by providing employment and a great improvement over what exist there now. Besides we give umm..handouts to a lot less potential entities than Lincoln Yards.

If you're too eager to take any deal then the only deal you'll get is a bad one. Learning to walk away in negotiations is a skill that some should learn. In this case, Lincoln Yards is no more "challenged" than other areas of the city that transitioned from industrial to other uses. Underutilized relatively inexpensive land in the midst of comparatively heavily developed and utilized expensive land will attract development. After all, it already did so once when it went from pasture to industrial uses (you'll note it isn't currently grassland). It would or could redevelop over time in the hands of several developers versus redeveloping slowly over time in the hands of one developer (as all other projects of this magnitude have) whom we've paid handsomely for the privilege.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 11:26 PM

Someone explain to my why Lincoln Park needs $1.3 billion in public dollars? Wouldn't that money be better spent encouraging development in other parts of the city.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
If you're too eager to take any deal then the only deal you'll get is a bad one. Learning to walk away in negotiations is a skill that some should learn. In this case, Lincoln Yards is no more "challenged" than other areas of the city that transitioned from industrial to other uses. Underutilized relatively inexpensive land in the midst of comparatively heavily developed and utilized expensive land will attract development. After all, it already did so once when it went from pasture to industrial uses (you'll note it isn't currently grassland). It would or could redevelop over time in the hands of several developers versus redeveloping slowly over time in the hands of one developer (as other projects of this magnitude have) whom we've paid handsomely for the privilege.
I do not see LY as just any deal. Its unique, how many deals of this magnitude is happening across this country at this time. Did you notice all the cities that were willing to pay even greater incentives than is being offered Sterling Bay for the Amazon HQ2. Its not about being too eager, its about taking advantage of an opportunity that with an economic downturn being on the horizon may never pass this way again. Sure there is a point of a deal where you may have to walk away, but there is also a point where you close. Wed may be that time, we will see.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAgain View Post
Someone explain to my why Lincoln Park needs $1.3 billion in public dollars? Wouldn't that money be better spent encouraging development in other parts of the city.
Because the return on investment is higher in this area. Build all the bridges, roads and transitways you want in depressed areas of the city, and nothing will happen. Thousands of young professionals and F500 HQs are not going to set up shop there that easily.

The TIF encourages a larger private investment from Sterling Bay and will have a larger long-term payoff for the rest of the city. If we force the cost of these public goods onto a private developer, they will reduce their private investment and avoid as much investment in infrastructure as possible.

The irony is that it's possible that if the TIF is shot down congestion could end up worse, depending on how SB re-designs their plans and the zoning allowances we make. When from their perspective every dollar spent making congestion less bad for Lincoln Park or Bucktown is a wasted dollar, and when they will need to build more densely to make up for those wasted expenditures, what exactly is the outcome we expect?

Public goods require public funds. It's that simple.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAgain View Post
someone is late to the P-A-R-T-A-Y

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 1:43 PM

Looks like the TIFs will be approved today after all.

Quote:
Mayor-elect Lori Lightfoot backed off her push to delay a City Council vote on the fate of two of the most ambitious real estate projects in the city's history, clearing the way for the developers behind the proposals to win up to $2.4 billion in public subsidies to help them... Lightfoot issued a statement late last night acknowledging that the votes are likely there to approve the TIF districts and that she would seek no further delay.

The statement said she met with both developers yesterday and both committed to increases in minority-owned and women-owned business enterprises that will be part of the redevelopment agreements governing each project. The total participation would increase by $80 million to a combined $400 million, according to the statement.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...-yards-78-tifs

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 2:26 PM

TIFs for LY and the 78 approved.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 2:30 PM

I will venture to guess that once the TIFs are formally approved, Sterling Bay can start to announce the tenants that they have already attracted to Lincoln Yards and have agreements with. I'd bet it's farther along than we thought...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 2:34 PM

what a joke

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
what a joke
You almost sound shocked and appalled...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 2:59 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantlyMidway View Post
I will venture to guess that once the TIFs are formally approved, Sterling Bay can start to announce the tenants that they have already attracted to Lincoln Yards and have agreements with. I'd bet it's farther along than we thought...
It's possible that as soon as the City Council approves the TIF, SB will be out with an announcement.

I'd love to see a major HQ. Ideally a company that's from outside the Chicagoland area.

But that's wishful thinking, I know...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
You almost sound shocked and appalled...
that would entail being born yesterday

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
It's possible that as soon as the City Council approves the TIF, SB will be out with an announcement.

I'd love to see a major HQ. Ideally a company that's from outside the Chicagoland area.

But that's wishful thinking, I know...
I doubt they have much major lined up. This is a land banking deal that will take decades to fill in.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I doubt they have much major lined up. This is a land banking deal that will take decades to fill in.
I would be surprised if they didn't have at least 10% of the FAR space already accounted for with major tenants.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 3:51 PM
Urbane observer

Oh yeah, all the major corporate headquarters who've been waiting for decades for someone to offer a location that's inaccessible by transit. "Tell the broker we're looking for a place where we can pay Cook County commercial property taxes without getting any of the advantages of being in the city."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development