HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 2:54 PM

Rahm delaying vote on this in deference to Lightfoot

"Rahmbo: I made it very clear to the Mayor-elect that I would not move forward on these projects if she wanted to delay the process. While I firmly believe in the value of these projects to the entire city, out of respect for her wishes and request, I will ... delay the vote"

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 2:55 PM

Rahm delaying 78 and Lincoln Yards for Lori.. I posted in those threads.. this is his statement

"I made it very clear to the Mayor-elect that I would not move forward on these projects if she wanted to delay the process. While I firmly believe in the value of these projects to the entire city, out of respect for her wishes and request, I will ... delay the vote"

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 3:00 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
Rahm delaying 78 and Lincoln Yards for Lori.. I posted in those threads.. this is his statement

"I made it very clear to the Mayor-elect that I would not move forward on these projects if she wanted to delay the process. While I firmly believe in the value of these projects to the entire city, out of respect for her wishes and request, I will ... delay the vote"
Sterling Bay and Related executives must be shitting their pants

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 3:00 PM
The City

Wow, as I stated elsewhere, this must be rocking SB and Related's executive suites.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 3:05 PM

it's the right move in a vacuum politically but yeah. Basically that's getting downscaled and they'll have to do more to pay their own way.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 3:06 PM

I don't know how it's structured, but yeah, a lot less free money in the mix

I have always thought a delay would mean death here

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 3:24 PM

Quote:

Im smelling public housing in the future and surface parking lots.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 3:34 PM
The City

Lets not forget that the zoning is already approved, it's just the TIF vote that got delayed

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 3:38 PM

.. some rumblings about the committee choosing to vote anyway.. let's see

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 3:41 PM

Quote:

As I stated earlier this is what I feared with Lightfoot, she is surrounded by people who are anti-Rahm business development, especially downtown. They will try and push her to squeeze every developer, until many projects become cost prohibitive. Lincoln Yards , and 78 are in trouble. Rahm should have went through with the vote and let the new administration try and make adjustments along the way. I see the next 4 years being a bumpy ride for big projects in Chicago these next four years, unless there be a change in Lightfoots mindset.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 3:43 PM

thankfully OCS is on lock

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Rahm delaying vote on this in deference to Lightfoot

"Rahmbo: I made it very clear to the Mayor-elect that I would not move forward on these projects if she wanted to delay the process. While I firmly believe in the value of these projects to the entire city, out of respect for her wishes and request, I will ... delay the vote"

It sounds like from the news that Emanuel can only ask for the vote to be delayed since it's a matter for the Committee and the Council. Presumably trading on his influence over O'Connor though not sure how great that is considering how the election went. Hopkins though is campaigning to hold the vote today.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 3:46 PM

let's hope we don't fully retreat to John Buck doing one spec as-of-right building a year and that's it for center city

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 3:48 PM

from Tribune reporter John Byrne on twitter @_johnbyrne

Finance Commte Chair Ald Pat O'Connor now says he plans to take testimony on LY and 78 TIFs today, then come back Wednesday morning prior to full council, potentially vote on the controversial funding mechanisms then

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoar View Post
They will try and push her to squeeze every developer, until many projects become cost prohibitive.

There is no way that either of these project areas can't be redeveloped at a profit given their size and location relative to the city. Developers should start practicing what I hear a lot of conservatives on here preaching and learn to live within their means and stop looking for public handouts.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
There is no way that either of these project areas can't be redeveloped at a profit given their size and location relative to the city. Developers should start practicing what I hear a lot of conservatives on here preaching and learn to live within their means and stop looking for public handouts.
Oh yes, there are just hundreds of developers lined up to develop environmentally challenged areas like Lincoln Yards. I have no problem giving some subsidies to projects like LY, because they have a potential to leverage the T.I.F, by providing employment and a great improvement over what exist there now. Besides we give umm..handouts to a lot less potential entities than Lincoln Yards.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 4:34 PM

I guess it all depends on if SB purchased the land at it's current industrial and contaminated value or it's assumed value with lax zoning and govt handouts.

the phrase "you make the money on the buy" is really applicable here.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 4:37 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Oh yes, there are just hundreds of developers lined up to develop environmentally challenged areas like Lincoln Yards. I have no problem giving some subsidies to projects like LY, because they have a potential to leverage the T.I.F, by providing employment and a great improvement over what exist there now. Besides we give umm..handouts to a lot less potential entities than Lincoln Yards.
Sterling Bay paid $140 million for the A. Finkl & Sons land before there was a TIF.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 4:45 PM

Quote:
from Tribune reporter John Byrne on twitter @_johnbyrne

Finance Commte Chair Ald Pat O'Connor now says he plans to take testimony on LY and 78 TIFs today, then come back Wednesday morning prior to full council, potentially vote on the controversial funding mechanisms then
This will be Lightfoot's first real test, the question will be how much do the alderbeasties fear her. One wonders if there will be enough defectors to aldermanic prerogative in this situation to defer to Lightfoot. Though there might also be enough lame ducks in office to throw the vote to SB.

Quote:
Not hundreds, but Sterling Bay was sold the city parcel North of the North Ave Home Depot at a discount to Omni group's higher bid. The fact is SB is being given preferential treatment here as the "home team champ" which is exactly the kind of clouted bullshit that needs to stop. If Omni is willing to pay more for the facility management garage than Sterling Bay, then it should be sold to Omni. I don't care if SB is trying to do something big and fancy here, the city needs every dime it can get.

Same goes for this TIF bullshit, no go F yourselves SB. In what world does a swath of riverfront land smack dab between the two premier neighborhoods of Chicago's north side need a TIF? If you want a TIF you can have one but it's going to be for a train line from the Brown Line to the Blue Line so your clusterfuck of a plan can't totally trash traffic circulation on the entire near North Side.

As I've said several times already: GO GET 'EM LORI!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
This will be Lightfoot's first real test, the question will be how much do the alderbeasties fear her. One wonders if there will be enough defectors to aldermanic prerogative in this situation to defer to Lightfoot. Though there might also be enough lame ducks in office to throw the vote to SB.

Not hundreds, but Sterling Bay was sold the city parcel North of the North Ave Home Depot at a discount to Omni group's higher bid. The fact is SB is being given preferential treatment here as the "home team champ" which is exactly the kind of clouted bullshit that needs to stop. If Omni is willing to pay more for the facility management garage than Sterling Bay, then it should be sold to Omni. I don't care if SB is trying to do something big and fancy here, the city needs every dime it can get.

Same goes for this TIF bullshit, no go F yourselves SB. In what world does a swath of riverfront land smack dab between the two premier neighborhoods of Chicago's north side need a TIF? If you want a TIF you can have one but it's going to be for a train line from the Brown Line to the Blue Line so your clusterfuck of a plan can't totally trash traffic circulation on the entire near North Side.

As I've said several times already: GO GET 'EM LORI!
All of the arguments against Sterling Bay and Lincoln Yards development sound good, but reality is, this is where we are. In business development timing is everything, we can all commentate , and that's good , but in the end those with power and money will somehow find a way. Rahm played a smart hand in his statement, by saying I will not call for a vote, he did not say WE will not call for a vote. Very shrewd.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development