HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 1:54 AM

Wonder if Copper Blues might turn it on? Arrogant Butcher? Be fun to hit a Cityscape place to see....

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 4:16 PM
METRO: Encanto

http://roguecolumnist.typepad.com/ro...-day.html#more

Quote:
NOVEMBER 07, 2011

Election Day

John Talton

I've been predicting that Russell Pearce will survive his recall election, but what will it really mean if he's defeated by Jerry Lewis? The district still ends up with a know-nothing lightweight. Yes, it will be a nice screw you to Pearce, the father of SB 1070. But it won't change either the pathology in the Legislature or in the East Valley. It was telling that Mesa Mayor Scott Smith, a conservative and Mormon but not a nut, chose not to run (he may have bigger ambitions, but could no better opposition to Pearce be found?). Whatever the outcome, the house (and Senate) that Pearce built will remain. The NRA will remain as powerful as ever. Ditto the Real Estate Industrial Complex and the private prison con. Jan Brewer will still be governor. Tell me what I'm missing. One observer predicted Pearce would run for sheriff when Joe finally retires.

The Phoenix mayoral election, on the other hand, is of major importance. Greg Stanton's internal polls, I am told, show him comfortably ahead of Wes Gullett. The danger here is that potential Stanton voters will stay home, so I am hesitant to even report this. That Gullett ever got this far is a sign that anyone with common sense had better get to the polls.

This contest has been narrowed down to the national meme of "public-sector workers bad." That's most unfortunate. There is indeed an ole-boys system in Phoenix government, but it involves the highly placed, most notoriously the double-dipping of former Police Chief Jack Harris. What's really wrong inside City Hall may be outside the ability of any mayor to fix because it's rooted in the council-manager form of government. Whoever is city manager, the Titanic keeps sailing along. One small example: Spending large sums for consultants to generate reports that could have been done better and cheaper by the city staff. That might have been different had David Krietor or Ed Zuercher (or Sheryl Sculley) been selected city manager. That they weren't tells you everything you need to know. The many interests that feed off the City Hall status quo want things to continue as before.

The Republic had an anecdotal story, not even worth linking to, about voters allegedly saying the mayoral hopefuls needed to "get past downtown." No. The challenges, dysfunction and opportunities in downtown and the central corridor are key to all of Phoenix's problems. Among them: The lack of private investment, land banking, transportation options, employment, etc. etc. No successful metropolitan area or major city works without a strong, vibrant downtown. The answers aren't all to be found at City Hall, but many of the problems originated there. And the mayor can be a strong and articulate advocate for such leap-frog opportunities as the biosciences campus, ASU downtown and creating a real economic-development entity.
I don't really give a rat's ass if the garbage gets collected in All-White-Tukee or the billboards are too high in far north Phoenix or whatever-the-hell in Desert Ridge. Five-hundred square miles of city is Phoenix's burden. It's just a mess of sprawl. LA is a mess of sprawl, too, but its 500 square miles are also filled with world-class economic assets. Big difference. The entire "urban village" concept is bankrupt. Instead of 15 distinct districts, the city has ended up with 15 arbitrarily drawn messes, many dying linear slums, but each one demanding the same treatment as downtown. Even without the suburbs stealing Phoenix's diminishing economic jewels, the city cannibalizes itself. The Biltmore district does relatively well simply because it's adjacent to Scottsdale and Paradise Valley. This is success?

With Gullett hijacking the debate, the important things have been kept safely locked away. How will Phoenix compete for talent and capital in the world economy, in the new hard times, with its many self-inflicted wounds and the hostility of a statehouse owned by the hard right? What will it take to build out the biosciences campus and leverage ASU downtown and the UofA med school in order to create many high-paid jobs? What about the heat island, air pollution, water and the desperate need for more shade, especially as climate change makes the Valley less tenable? How do you elevate the economy and social condition of a city built on the cheap, with extremely expensive sprawl, especially since the old growth machine is not (feel me, Grady?), not coming back? And if it did (it's not), it won't play to Phoenix's advantage. What about transportation options, walkable neighborhoods, quality density? Hello-o-o! Oh, for the debates that never happened.

The old merchant class is long dead, as are the stewards, the major headquarters and any private entities that might act as a pluralistic force for good, or even different ideas. Instead, far-right politics, the sprawl builders and institutions feeding on tax dollars make up what might be called leadership in Arizona, even in Phoenix. That said, Stanton is the only choice for Phoenix to have a chance.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 4:44 PM
BANNED

What's making me nervous is the amount of gullett signage I'm
Seeing around town in comparison to Stanton. It's obvious that gullet has deeper campaign pockets, and people are largely dumb enough to just vote for whomevers name
They see the most.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 5:11 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Anyone know of a nice (central PHX) bar to watch the election results come in while in the presence of Stanton voters? I see the "Election Night Celebration" will be at Levine Machine on Grant St. I've never been there before - is anyone here going? What kind of place is it?

http://gregstantonformayor.com/events/

http://www.levinemachine.com/
It's a restored building in the warehouse district used for special events. I'd like to go but will probably focus instead of getting my kids to bed and, I hope, cheering Greg Stanton's victory from home.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 1:17 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Wow thats a nice piece by Talton, his articles usually annoy me. While I generally agree with him I dislike his trying to attract Bee's with Vinegar approach.

To me this biggest disappointment in this entire race has been Gullets complete success in setting the table for the topics at hand. City Hall Pensions? The Food Tax? Really? Those are the "big issues" according to the morons at the Republic. Get a fucking clue, our City has gigantic issues its got to face going forward and those two things are such tiny drops in the bucket they're barely worth mentioning.

If Stanton wins in spite of not really being able to get his message of actually having a vision for the City, it'll be very encouraging.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 3:10 AM

With 22.45% of th votes in, Greg Stanton leads with 56.32% of the votes. Looking good so far.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
With 22.45% of th votes in, Greg Stanton leads with 56.32% of the votes. Looking good so far.
I assume thats just something you heard on TV/the radio? I can't seem to find anything online with numbers yet. AzCentral has a site, but so far no City of PHX mayoral election numbers...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
I assume thats just something you heard on TV/the radio? I can't seem to find anything online with numbers yet. AzCentral has a site, but so far no City of PHX mayoral election numbers...
Here you go:

http://phoenix.gov/ELECTION/results.html

This is good news considering that a record number of voters turned out (early and otherwise) for this election. Over 26% of registered voters is a record; so with 22.45% reported, it looks like a Stanton victory...

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Nov 9, 2011 at 3:44 AM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 4:35 AM

Looks like both Stanton and Lewis are the winners! Good stuff.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Awesome

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 4:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I couldn't care less about Lewis winning, rather I'm just glad to see the KKK mother fucker Russell Pearce ousted.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
I couldn't care less about Lewis winning, rather I'm just glad to see the KKK mother fucker Russell Pearce ousted.
Yea, same here...don't know shit about Lewis but I know he's not Pearce and he wasn't endorsed by Arpaio.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 4:37 PM
E pluribus unum

There's hope for Arizona yet.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 4:43 PM
BANNED

Now if we can get Jan "Death Mask" Brewer from coming back to AZ from her book tour, THAT would be quite the trifecta!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 4:56 PM

Can we recall her?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest