HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 4:57 AM

Phoenix Mayoral Election 2011

I know that this is a bit off topic, but who is the board consensus candidate for the mayoral election?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 4:59 AM
BANNED

I don't even know who is running. Its funny I try to stay shielded from politics but I'm always hearing about representatives, but nothing on the mayoral race.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 5:44 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Stanton is the overwhelming favorite especially given his pro-neighborhood and pro-downtown stances.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 6:30 AM

Is the Mayorship open in Tempe this year? If so, we should include Tempe in the discussion.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 7:08 AM
Skyriser

I moved this to its own thread and forgot to followup. Anyways, Stanton is my clear favorite. He's already shown that he's an accessible, friendly guy that keeps the interests of the citizens and the city first.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 1:58 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Stanton is the only choice, its not really even close or debatable if you're an urbanist.

E: Also here's an AzCentral article about an upcoming Mayoral debate:
http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...es-debate.html

Last edited by HooverDam; Apr 4, 2011 at 4:40 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 4:30 PM

Yea it seems that way. I just briefly read a couple things online and Stanton seems like the only one that even mentioned anything urban related, like historic preservation.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 3:11 PM

Thanks guys. I spend so much time away from home, its been difficult for me to keep up.

I'm generally a pretty conservative guy but I'm also an urbanist so its good to see that Hoover is behind Santon as well.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 4:26 PM

I agree on Stanton too. Is there anything we can do to help spread the word ????

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
I agree on Stanton too. Is there anything we can do to help spread the word ????
His website has a place where you can volunteer. Whether thats making calls, helping them sound out mail, etc. I "Liked" the Stanton for Mayor page on Facebook so hopefully people will see that.

A big thing I plan on doing is because everyone I know realizes that I have this crazy love and knowledge about Phoenix they'll likely take my word for it on a Mayoral selection. So as we get nearer to the election I'm certainly planning on urging friends and family to vote for Stanton. It being a non partisan election and with people generally not paying too close of attention I think the fact that he's a Democrat won't work as much against him as it otherwise would of in our GOP state (though PHX, especially Central is bluer than the rest of the state).

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 7:33 PM

Good point and well said Hoover!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 9:57 PM
Skyriser

I should probably keep my mouth shut, but I'm going to be interning with the Stanton campaign. I'm hoping it's a fun career change. =)

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 10:28 PM

I plan to vote early and often. LOL

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I should probably keep my mouth shut, but I'm going to be interning with the Stanton campaign. I'm hoping it's a fun career change. =)
why keep your mouth shut? Im sure youll have some interesting insights. Tell the Stanton people to put more on the website about where he stands issue by issue if you get the chance

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 11:42 PM

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/val...phoenix_co.php

Might be an indication of things to come.

Quote:
Mayor Hopeful Greg Stanton, Former Phoenix Councilman, Wins Arrogant Butcher's Straw Poll
By Monica Alonzo, Wed., Apr. 6 2011 @ 1:07PM
Categories: Election 2011

Greg Stanton won over voters at the Arrogant Butcher.
​It's official -- Greg Stanton is the winner of an Arrogant Butcher straw poll gauging who might be the next Phoenix mayor.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 11:52 PM

Arrogant Butcher is the new downtown lawyer watering hole. Stanton is a lawyer. So is his wife (who happens to work across the street). I like what Arrogant Butcher is doing, but its clientele likely skews these numbers heavily. I'd bet that over 70% of their customers dislike Sheriff Joe and SB1070 too, which is obviously not in line with the general consensus.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 12:25 AM

and the "General consensus" folk are wrong, as we know!!!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 2:44 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
why keep your mouth shut? Im sure youll have some interesting insights. Tell the Stanton people to put more on the website about where he stands issue by issue if you get the chance
I meant like go blabbing about it on here aa it's not 100% official. I was offered it over the phone after a brief discussion and haven't entirely met with them yet.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 3:20 AM

After reading about the candidates and meeting Stanton in person at the E-P Home Tour he is my favorite.

He even joked when I was talking to him that "the developers don't like him."

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 7:16 AM
Skyriser

The auditorium at Phoenix College was filled with about 500 people at a mayoral forum tonight sponsored by several diversity groups. Stanton handily won with a perhaps a bit too energetic performance that engaged the audience.

Stanton made no gaffes either: The crowds disliked how Mattox corrected a student who asked a question regarding a study about its frequency and Gullett's summation of City Council service as "years of doing favors for other people" was also met poorly. I found that comment vastly more disrespectful to Mattox than Stanton, despite my loaded support for the latter.

Eickenhauer actually went on a rambling defense of the banks when prompted about a question about the foreclosure crisis--I was too busy being flabbergasted to judge audience reaction. But Greg's rebuttal demonstrates that he knows it's about a lot more than just a contract between two people when he talked about outreach, neighborhood stability and his work in the AG's office stopping illegal predatory loan modification companies.

I can say that judging by their performance tonight alone, a Mattox or Gullett administration would be a lot better than I originally thought.

Haven't seen any media coverage of the event yet. I saw Fox 10 at the forum but nothing on their website. Channel 3 will televise a forum soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest