HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 5:02 PM

Super Bowl XLII in Phoenix/Glendale Thread

So, with the Super Bowl quickly approaching, I thought it might be good to put up a thread to inform residents here and abroad of the activities. It might be useful for us Phoenicians to know of the events that are going on, as well as the headaches that go along with it.

We hear all about other large happenings and the economic windfall they'll bring to other cities (ie, the DNC in Denver), but there's nothing bigger and better for the local economy than the Super Bowl.

A good start is this article from the AZ Rep mentioning how while the game will be played in Glendale, the hub of the event is Downtown Phoenix.

Phoenix: Super Bowl's hub away from stadium
Jahna Berry
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 13, 2008 12:00 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/supe...oenix0113.html

[Glendale can lay claim to the Big Game on Feb. 3, but downtown Phoenix will be buzzing during Super Bowl week.

Some downtown high-rises will get a Super Bowl-themed makeover, like the Hyatt Regency Phoenix did on Thursday when crews put a huge NFL emblem on the hotel.

A three-day downtown block party is on tap. Nightspots are bracing for crowds, exclusive charity events are in the works and celebrity-sighting possibilities abound.

On top of that, more than 3,000 journalists from around the globe will be working at the Phoenix Convention Center, the official media center for the Super Bowl. NFL officials have taken over the Hyatt.

While it's hard to pin down how many people will come to downtown Phoenix, the Valley expects to see up to 150,000 visitors and $200 million in direct spending, said Stephanie Heckathorne, media relations manager for the Greater Phoenix Convention & Visitors Bureau.

Phoenix, however, will be a key Super Bowl hub, a Super Bowl official said.

"I envision two key central-focal points for Super Bowl XLII for the whole week - downtown Phoenix and the (Glendale) stadium," said Bob Sullivan, president of the Arizona Super Bowl Host Committee.

"Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa - they all have events, but those two are the biggest footprints where it will be visually impossible to not know that the Super Bowl is here."

That's what bar and restaurant owners are hoping.

Bill Smith, who owns a bar and several downtown restaurants, including Stoudemire's, expects thousands of people to Phoenix during game week.

Suns star Amaré Stoudemire will host a Jan. 31 "Welcome to Phoenix" party at the restaurant that bears his name. There may be other celebrity hosts at the restaurant the rest of the weekend, Smith said.

The game will showcase downtown Phoenix to tourists as well as locals who don't come often, he said.

"My hope is that people will come down and see that there is a lot going on," Smith said.

Meanwhile, Majerle's, a sports bar in downtown Phoenix, is hosting a three-day block party on First Street, during game week. The party will have DJs spinning on Jan. 31 and plans to have live music that Feb. 1 and 2, said Cathie Ruiz, Majerle's Sports Grill manager.

Concerts will be another big draw.

Shows are planned throughout the Valley, and Phoenix will have its share of the stars. Latin pop mega star Alejandra Guzman is a headliner for the Jan. 26 "Super Fiesta" concert at the Dodge Theatre in Phoenix.

A gospel concert will bring Patti LaBelle and Donnie McClurkin to Phoenix Symphony Hall on Jan. 31. Rap star Ludacris will be the big draw at a Feb. 2 show at the Celebrity Theatre.

Orange-shirted Ambassadors will have up-to-the minute information about Phoenix events, parking and other information for visitors, said Terry Madeksza, director of operations for the Downtown Phoenix Partnership.

One thing that an Ambassador probably can't do: find a vacant downtown Phoenix hotel room during Super Bowl week.

Downtown hotels are sold out, said Heckathorne, the tourism official.

"If you can find a hotel room," she joked, "let me know."

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 5:26 PM

I'm going to make the assumption that all downtown restaurants will be changing their hours during Super Bowl week, right? Has anyone heard anything related to this?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 5:47 PM
under the influence...

Don't know about individual restaurant hours, but I'll bet everyone is glad closing time is now 2:00am, as opposed to 1:00am back in '96.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 7:18 PM

It is unbelievable how negative the people are that comment on the articles on AZcentral.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 8:09 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX View Post
It is unbelievable how negative the people are that comment on the articles on AZcentral.
Generally speaking, people who comment on sites like AzCentral, IMDB, Youtube, et cetera are cretins of the highest order. There ought to be a button, if you hit 'comment' a gun pops out of your computer and blows your brains out.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 11:36 PM

Was the Sheraton originally planned to be open in time for the Super Bowl? Since it's so near completion (at least that's how it looked to me last month), it's quite a shame that it can't be open in time for the game.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Generally speaking, people who comment on sites like AzCentral, IMDB, Youtube, et cetera are cretins of the highest order. There ought to be a button, if you hit 'comment' a gun pops out of your computer and blows your brains out.
I was going to suggest electrocution through the keyboard, but I will compromise and go for the gun popping computer as long as it has the same result.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 1:35 AM

Go whoever plays the Patriots!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 2:17 AM

It's a shame that the high-rise and loft tour as organized by Will Daly (as reported by Soleri) cannot be held on Super Bowl weekend. With all of the fans and media people, etc., in town, many staying downtown, it would be seem to be pretty beneficial to showcase those property to the out-of-towners... especially if it is New England vs. Green Bay (or NY), with all of those bad-weather people seeing our nice weather, they may be enticed to buy something here for the winters.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 2:39 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upward View Post
Was the Sheraton originally planned to be open in time for the Super Bowl? Since it's so near completion (at least that's how it looked to me last month), it's quite a shame that it can't be open in time for the game.
Nope, just the outside of it is nearly done, its still got a ways to go. The Sheraton is slated to open at the same time as the Convention Center in late '08 (along w/ light rail).

EDIT: Ug, Im now completely disinterested in the game itself. Its most likely going to be Patriots-Packers or Patriots-Giants, both match ups are completely uninteresting to me. I hope San Diego can upset N.E., they're the only remaining team I don't hate

Last edited by HooverDam; Jan 14, 2008 at 4:38 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 4:27 AM
E pluribus unum

I'll probably be the only person trying to get out of Phoenix that weekend (Super Bowl party in California, go figure)

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 6:07 AM
Dbacks baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerbitch View Post
I'll probably be the only person trying to get out of Phoenix that weekend (Super Bowl party in California, go figure)
Go then sir..."buckeye native" ..enjoy

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 5:50 PM

Quote:
I honestly feel like moving after I read comments from that site. Sure sometimes they are funny but most of the time they are just sad!! I just find it hard to believe that there are so many people who think like that. The most memorable being the people who posted on an article about a new highrise condo. One suggested that highrise towers only bring drugs, crime and terrorist attacks. The amount of people that agreed was scary. Ignorance is a sad thing.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 6:34 PM

I can't think of a more pleasent place to have the SB. We know one thing, the weather will be great and it's going to be a shot in the arm for AZ. Think of the positives, money, great shots of your city and FOOTBALL! Good luck and I look forward to seeing the Giants and New England there

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 6:46 PM

Anyone else think about how the FBR open (formerly Phoenix Open) is that weekend too? That event is completely nuts by itself (hundreds of thousands of specators attend that event), but throw in the Super Bowl that weekend as well, and it is a perfect storm for Phoenix. Not only the exposure, but the two will feed off each other. It will give Super Bowl goers an additional event to attend. This Super Bowl won't be anything like South Florida (all the clubs), but I think all visitors will have an enjoyable experience... which is definitely a good thing (unlike when it was cold and miserable in Detroit a couple of years ago and I heard a lot of bad about that Super Bowl).

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 6:49 PM

Aren't they expecting something like 150,000 visitors to Phoenix? That will be great for the area as most people who come and visit Phoenix love it, if even 1% decide to make this their new home or second home, that will help out our housing market and economy greatly.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 7:38 PM
Denver is the M/W Father!

Location: IN THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY WHERE HOPS AND CANNABIS REIGN SUPREME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Go whoever plays the Patriots!
That's what I am talking about Wren!!!

IMHO Tom Brady looks like he has down syndrome? Or might possibly be a missing link? Seriously...

There is no such thing as remaining constant.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 10:31 PM

yeah, that's what I've been thinking, Tom Brady looks like the missing link! And it bugs me because 2 girls I know from Boston are completely infatuated with him. He's such a tool. I hope Eric Weddle intercepts 2 of his passes next week and sacks his ass 3 times (Weddle is a rookie out of Utah, so I cheer for him and for San Diego now). I just hope they lose to somebody, anybody.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 10:52 PM
Stay Thirsty.

Double, and double!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 11:05 PM

WOW, BLM & SLCforme... I've never seen more blatant jealousy in my life! now, back on topic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest