HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 1:25 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Can we all agree that the worst outcome would be some Classical bantha fodder put out by Antunovich?
Well, here's what Lucas wanted at the Presidio location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Virtually nothing further can be built east of LSD without a massive fight
Huh? The "massive fight" consists of the mayor's office putting the thing on the Plan Commission agenda. They then rubber stamp it.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 1:31 AM
The City

Wow, this is jaw dropping news. I am thrilled to hear that Chicago is getting this.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 1:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
In what way did I lose you. Virtually nothing further can be built east of LSD without a massive fight, and for good reason. Why is everyone suddenly fine with this going through?

...?

A Billion reasons $$$

No cost to tax payers, increase in tourism, and an endowment that will last forever to run the place.

Now lets land the 2017 America's Cup

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...-michigan.html

for 2/3rds of a trifecta...

Last edited by bnk; Jun 25, 2014 at 2:18 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post

http://www.eastviewmall.com/Data/Ima...riorforweb.jpg

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Now I'm fantasizing about the choice of architect... he could go the way of the Empire and choose SOM (too bad Mies isn't around) or the way of the upstart Rebels and choose JGMA!
I just hope it is a firm that has a history of producing finely crafted spaces, not parametric nonsense. More Chipperfield, Williams and Chen, Phifer, Meier... less Gehry, Mayne, Hadid.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 2:38 AM

Quote:
According to a source, Lucas heavily weighed two factors in Chicago’s favor. One was that the city draws more tourists than San Francisco.
Chicago set a record in 2012 with 46.37 million visitors while the city of San Francisco attracted 16.51 million visitors that year, according to the San Francisco Travel Association.

In addition, the site Emanuel offered to Lucas is located near the Museum Campus, home to the Shedd Aquarium, The Field Museum and the Adler Planetarium. Lucas hopes to collaborate with neighboring museums, the source said.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,6741871.story

----

Very exciting and somewhat unexpected news!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 2:49 AM

Heard the news on espn of all places, on the waddle and silvy show. Much more exciting than the idea of melo coming to the bulls!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Good time for the city to be spending money on Roosevelt Road on the way to Museum Campus. I'd really love to see that turn into a tourism and cultural corridor.
Ok, but what specifically do you have in mind?

I was going to say this would be a good time to get a cheap public rail or busway shuttle to the museums/music pavilion, Soldier Field, and McCormick. Gray Line or whatever, now there's gotta be critical mass to run something frequent from Lower Randolph at Millennium Park. Maggie Daley adds to the numbers as well.
Quote:
Well played. But Lucas was no doubt aiming for a contextual aesthetic, to some extent. He'd probably the be the first to jettison that design now that the location is Chicago.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Now lets land the 2017 America's Cup
This would be ultra huge. Most Americans, most people in the world, have no clue how big Lake Michigan is.

In fact it is the world's largest lake that belongs to a single country, but bizarrely I've never heard anyone ever say that. Superior, Huron, Victoria have bigger surface area but they're divided among multiple nations.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Well played. But Lucas was no doubt aiming for a contextual aesthetic, to some extent. He'd probably the be the first to jettison that design now that the location is Chicago.
Im curious what makes you think that? If hes a guy who cares about contextualism in the first place, Soldier Field (whats left anyway), the Field, and the aquarium are all Greek/neo-classical. And if hes trying to align himself with the rest of the campus...

I mean I hope youre right.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:24 AM

I'm stunned. This is huge news for Chicago and an even bigger snub to San Francisco. Frankly, I thought Chicago was simply being used as a bargaining chip. Even LA made more sense to me—on paper, anyway.

Well, Lucas will be getting a super prominent location. It's going to look beautiful in marketing material, nestled along the lakeshore among a crop of prestigious institutions in the most scenic museum campus in the county if not the world. So... I imagine that must have been a huge factor for him, especially the City's willingness to override any kind of democratic process or possible pushback in the decision making process. (Which, hey, I'm a pragmatist: sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. In this case it works.) Really, I'm still in disbelief and waiting for someone to jump out and yell: "Gotcha!"

So many benefits to be reaped here. Probably low on most people's lists but high on mine: C2E2 is going to be INSANE. Is there any other franchise with such a devoted fanbase? Maybe Star Trek but that's it. Chicago is going to be overrun by geeks. It's going to be a new capital of Geekdom. I hope this spills over into other areas of geekery more relevant to my interests.

I'm also excited about the way in which a museum like this will evolve over the years. I doubt (hope?) it doesn't turn into a time capsule; it has the potential to be so much more.

But yeah. Stunned. Well done, Rahm.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:24 AM

^ Now arriving, visions of cosplay hordes mingling with bevys of Bears tailgaters...
Quote:
Im curious what makes you think that? If hes a guy who cares about contextualism in the first place, Soldier Field (whats left anyway), the Field, and the aquarium are all Greek/neo-classical. And if hes trying to align himself with the rest of the campus...

I believe much of the Presidio has that kind of Spanish revival (not sure of the correct term) aesthetic, and, frankly, so much of California uses that aesthetic that it's probably not only the default choice for designs there, it was also probably the least disruptive thing they could have chosen in the interest of finally persuading the Presidio board to accept their proposal.

As for the neoclassical aesthetic at the museum campus, I think that, first, the Soldier Field spaceship has broken that mold already; second, Lakeside Center is close enough to offer a neutral or modernist context; and third, Mr Lucas knows the best way to make a distinctive impact, and excite both locals and distant admirers alike, would be to go bold and contemporary with his new design. (And Rahm and Mellody could be good backup conduits to ensure this happens...)

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:29 AM

Quote:

The previous design was primarily driven by the strict guidelines set forth by the National Park Service for constructing anything within the Presidio.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Is that surprising? It sounds like the Presidio takes a much more conservative approach to any new development, including its design. No doubt that preview was meant to appease them.

Please please please hire a tasteful, contemporary and progressive architect, Mr. Lucas. I'll cry if you choose RAMSA or someone similar.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:41 AM

Quote:
^ Now arriving, visions of cosplay hordes mingling with bevys of Bears tailgaters...

I believe much of the Presidio has that kind of Spanish revival (not sure of the correct term) aesthetic, and, frankly, so much of California uses that aesthetic that it's probably not only the default choice for designs there, it was also probably the least disruptive thing they could have chosen in the interest of finally persuading the Presidio board to accept their proposal.

As for the neoclassical aesthetic at the museum campus, I think that, first, the Soldier Field spaceship has broken that mold already; second, Lakeside Center is close enough to offer a neutral or modernist context; and third, Mr Lucas knows the best way to make a distinctive impact, and excite both locals and distant admirers alike, would be to go bold and contemporary with his new design. (And Rahm and Mellody could be good backup conduits to ensure this happens...)
Yeah. That was a bizarre comment, Via. There's nothing "classical" about the Adler Planetarium. Soldier Field is a mash-up of old and new now. (I mean, duh.) And Lakeside Center couldn't be more Modern if it tried. So it's not like the design would be setting a precedent for the Museum Campus. In fact, just the opposite: a historicist design would stand in stark contrast to the architectural progress there.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:45 AM

I was reading some comments on SF based news sites - I can't believe how fucking clueless some people there are for being self purported super intelligent people (I have nothing against SF - it's one of my favorite cities, I have friends there, and my Grandmother grew up in Oakland). They seriously still think that Chicago is overrun by Al Capone style gangsters, the stockyards still exist, etc. Talk about living a few decades in the past. And while Chicago's homicide stuff is not good, they seriously think Chicago has the worst homicide rate in the US of any city (it's not even in the top 10 - even in the high year of 2012 it wasn't in the top 10).

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I was reading some comments on SF based news sites - I can't believe how fucking clueless some people there are for being self purported super intelligent people (I have nothing against SF - it's one of my favorite cities, I have friends there, and my Grandmother grew up in Oakland). They seriously still think that Chicago is overrun by Al Capone style gangsters, the stockyards still exist, etc. Talk about living a few decades in the past.
Everyone who comments on local news sites is crazy. It's one of the rules. Like Rule 34. Still, many people from other regions have antiquated views of the city. "Progressive" enclaves like SF and NY can be, in certain ways, just as provincial as any other city.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Everyone who comments on local news sites is crazy. It's one of the rules. Like Rule 34. Still, many people from other regions have antiquated views of the city. "Progressive" enclaves like SF and NY can be, in certain ways, just as provincial as any other city.
Yep, totally. Even the guy who was defending Chicago was saying something like "It's a hip city - meat and potatoes kind of hip" or something. While there's some truth to that, again - antiquated. I was on another forum not long ago and this guy from SF was *SHOCKED* that I, as a straight male, was friends with many gay males and that it's not uncommon here for straight and gay to be friends. He literally thought the only places that happened were in SF and NYC.

I always get a kick out of reading comments on news sites though. Crazy people come out of the woodwork and do nothing but bitch about their city not receiving whatever. I think it sucks for SF because he has so many ties to there, but even sane SF people would agree that Chicago site is better. When I showed a friend of mine in SF a map of where it would be located, he said it was a "perfect location" and better than what SF offered. Also, you know I guess it does help with the fact that Chicago had almost 3X the tourists as SF did last year. Which is shocking - SF gets more international tourists, but in the grand scheme of things, charging like a $20 admission isn't going to be out of reach to 99% of tourists who visit Chicago no matter where they're from.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I was reading some comments on SF based news sites - I can't believe how fucking clueless some people there are for being self purported super intelligent people (I have nothing against SF - it's one of my favorite cities, I have friends there, and my Grandmother grew up in Oakland). They seriously still think that Chicago is overrun by Al Capone style gangsters, the stockyards still exist, etc. Talk about living a few decades in the past. And while Chicago's homicide stuff is not good, they seriously think Chicago has the worst homicide rate in the US of any city (it's not even in the top 10 - even in the high year of 2012 it wasn't in the top 10).

I was reading some of the comets too and thought they were hilariously ignorant. Those leaving the ignorant and nasty comments about Chicago are just butt hurt because Chicago swooped in and stole their museum though so I forgive them, lol. Stuff like this doesn't surprise me though because when cities compete for certain things the loser city's ppl typically take cheap shots at the winning city. You should have seen the comments by Houstonians (or whatever they're called) when United chose Chicago for its HQ.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 6:58 AM

Quote:
What do you mean - there are only so many ways to design a building in the shape of the Millennium Falcon.
So you're saying they're getting Tigerman for this one? lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development