HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 12:03 AM

This is a really good first step. I like a lot of what I see in these plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
More detail plans for Sandy City.
http://sandy.utah.gov/fileadmin/down...nsPressKit.pdf
Notice the images on page 4. Like what I'm seeing for that area. Big improvement. However I don't believe I've ever seen a 4-way sky walkway before.

Also It looks like ground breaking is set for next month ( February 2015 ) for those 26-story housing towers. Not sure why all the news outlets said that ground was already broken for this development last month.

Another PDF
http://sandy.utah.gov/fileadmin/down...ment-small.pdf

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 11:08 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Time for some development news......

Agreement reached for $18M fairpark stadium
By Faith Heaton Jolley KSL.com

Real Salt Lake owner Dell Loy Hansen formed the minor league, elite lower-division Monarchs to bridge the gap between the Real Salt Lake major league soccer team and the club’s academy at the Grande Sports complex in Arizona, according to a Real Salt Lake news release.

During the inaugural 2015 Monarchs season, the team will play a 28-game regular season in the 12-team Western Conference with additional participation in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.

The new $18 million, 8,000-seat stadium will mainly be used for Monarchs games, but it will also host a variety of other events and teams including a concert series, a professional women’s soccer franchise, a men’s lacrosse and rugby franchise, and other community adult soccer games, the news release said. The Utah State Fair will also use the stadium for a three-week period during the annual fair.

More:
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=33246365&nid...&s_cid=queue-3
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 10:18 PM

The part I like most about this deal is that it hinges on the Fair receiving a 40-year continuation of its lease on the fairgrounds. I didn't want them to sell off the land to developers.

FYI: the Fairpark is in SLC proper, so this should be posted there.

Quote:
Time for some development news......

Agreement reached for $18M fairpark stadium
By Faith Heaton Jolley KSL.com

Real Salt Lake owner Dell Loy Hansen formed the minor league, elite lower-division Monarchs to bridge the gap between the Real Salt Lake major league soccer team and the club’s academy at the Grande Sports complex in Arizona, according to a Real Salt Lake news release.

During the inaugural 2015 Monarchs season, the team will play a 28-game regular season in the 12-team Western Conference with additional participation in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.

The new $18 million, 8,000-seat stadium will mainly be used for Monarchs games, but it will also host a variety of other events and teams including a concert series, a professional women’s soccer franchise, a men’s lacrosse and rugby franchise, and other community adult soccer games, the news release said. The Utah State Fair will also use the stadium for a three-week period during the annual fair.

More:
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=33246365&nid...&s_cid=queue-3

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 9:39 PM
Bring out the cranes...

South Jordan's plan for a mix-used development along the Jordan River.

http://www.southjordancity.org/pdf/S...tewayStudy.pdf
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
South Jordan's plan for a mix-used development along the Jordan River.

http://www.southjordancity.org/pdf/S...tewayStudy.pdf
I think these are old plans. A large number of people protested building so close to the Jordan River. So, plans have been scrapped. Now, they're trying to set up a commission with members of the public included to decide how to develop the land or whether to develop it.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 1:01 PM

I don't think we've talked about this yet. I thought it was interesting, both for it's location and that it will be decidedly an upscale Marriott Renaissance offering. Looks to be planned for a commanding perch above the east side of I-15 at the 14600 So./South Mountain Interchange.

Marriott Renaissance - 231 So. Highland Drive Draper

http://www.utahprojects.info

We are in the process of developing two new hotels in the Draper/Lehi Area. They are to be located on the bench off of Highland Drive. Currently planned are a 250 Marriott Renaissance full service hotel and a 96 room upscale extended stay project.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 18, 2015 at 8:37 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 3:23 PM
West bench livin'

Improvements at the Valley Fair Mall continue: They've installed a permanent carousel in the Food Court's atrium. I took pics but they turned out crappy. I really need to invest in a decent camera... or upgrade my phone to a Galaxy 5.

The carousel is a pretty standard carousel but it will probably be very popular with the kiddies judging by the crowds of lookie-lou kids watching the construction.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 10:38 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Iv heard that classic bowling on State street is going to be demolished. Does anyone know anything about this?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 12:46 AM
They all float down here

That's too bad. A lot of good memories there. I hope they keep the bowling pin sign!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 1:15 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
That's too bad. A lot of good memories there. I hope they keep the bowling pin sign!
Agree on everything... I still remember when the west side of the building was a skating rink 😞

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Iv heard that classic bowling on State street is going to be demolished. Does anyone know anything about this?
Terrible.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I remember hearing something similar to Fairbourne Station is going there, but the bowling pin sign will stay

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 5:26 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
I remember hearing something similar to Fairbourne Station is going there, but the bowling pin sign will stay
Ritz Classic does not have nearly enough property to do somthing like that. They could put one or two apartment buildings there with out much else. I'm surprised there is no official word on this.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 1:12 AM

UPDATE on the Old Dome Church replica and Riverton Park pavilion.

Untitled
by stenar, on Flickr

The main pavilion and entrance sign

Untitled
by stenar, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 4:47 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Does anybody have any photos of the classic bowling sign from when It used to say "skating" where it now says "classic". It also had less lanes at the time.

It would also be cool to see some photos of the old skating rink, waterslides, and miniature golf.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 3:47 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

looks like apartments it sounds like the city has incentives for them to leave the sign but I don't know if they will.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2146204-1...ing-alley-cant

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 6:14 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
UPDATE on the Old Dome Church replica and Riverton Park pavilion.

Untitled
by stenar, on Flickr
Thanks for the photo update!

You know, I've gotta give mad props to Riverton for building this. At least they are making a token effort to revive some history and give the city a little bit of sense of place.

As much as I love the auto-centric nature of generic suburbs, I've got to admit I drive around South Jordan, Herriman, Orem, etc. and never feel like I've arrived. As I age, I'm coming to appreciate places like Provo Center Street or SLC Main Street which feel like actual destinations.

I hope other cities will follow suit. WVC is trying, but there's nothing notable about Fairborne that brings me there. They need some kind of landmark. I'd love to see downtown A.F. build a "downtown" around the old tabernacle. I'd love to see Midvale do something. I'm excited to see Murray continue to build something that has a "sense of place."

And this, at least to a small degree, is helping Riverton do the same.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 9:24 PM

Very much agree with you I-215, especially about American Fork. American Fork has so much potential around that Tabernacle/Albertsons parking lot. That whole east end of town needs a serious rethink.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Thanks for the photo update!

You know, I've gotta give mad props to Riverton for building this. At least they are making a token effort to revive some history and give the city a little bit of sense of place.

As much as I love the auto-centric nature of generic suburbs, I've got to admit I drive around South Jordan, Herriman, Orem, etc. and never feel like I've arrived. As I age, I'm coming to appreciate places like Provo Center Street or SLC Main Street which feel like actual destinations.

I hope other cities will follow suit. WVC is trying, but there's nothing notable about Fairborne that brings me there. They need some kind of landmark. I'd love to see downtown A.F. build a "downtown" around the old tabernacle. I'd love to see Midvale do something. I'm excited to see Murray continue to build something that has a "sense of place."

And this, at least to a small degree, is helping Riverton do the same.
My joy is full!!!!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 3:38 PM

I heard a rumor that people are at least looking at the option of relocating the prison to Fremont Island. This is coming from a connection I have at one of the utility companies who said someone called them wanting to know approximate costs of running lines out there. I have to say it's an interesting idea. They would build a causeway like they have for Antelope Island. This would allow the prison to be relatively close to a support population while not really putting it in anyone's back yard. I'm sure the Sierra Club would have a thing or two to say about developing the island though. But just think of it, our very own Alcatraz

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West