HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTAisSmarta View Post
Hopefully this group is able to force the hand on the beltline rail lines. We voted for this, and it seems disingenuous at best, outright fraud at worst to not have more work completed on this by now.
The vote that happened just 17 months ago?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
The vote that happened just 17 months ago?
Oops. Guess I merged two thoughts when typing it out. Let me rephrase -

I am upset about the lack of updates, and prioritizing of other projects, seemingly out of nowhere that have taken the foreground regarding transportation projects. The vote was primarily sold on expanding the light rail system in Atlanta, including the projects on the beltline.

It would be disingenuous at best, outright fraud at worst to use the special tax money that we voted for, to fund other projects not shown at the time of the vote. People voted based on the list of projects and provided documents and illustrations. If we end up with a different list of projects being completed, including various BRT lines - either on the beltline or elsewhere, being built in lieu of the network of light rail, then we have a serious problem on our hands.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Oops. Guess I merged two thoughts when typing it out. Let me rephrase -

I am upset about the lack of updates, and prioritizing of other projects, seemingly out of nowhere that have taken the foreground regarding transportation projects. The vote was primarily sold on expanding the light rail system in Atlanta, including the projects on the beltline.

It would be disingenuous at best, outright fraud at worst to use the special tax money that we voted for, to fund other projects not shown at the time of the vote. People voted based on the list of projects and provided documents and illustrations. If we end up with a different list of projects being completed, including various BRT lines - either on the beltline or elsewhere, being built in lieu of the network of light rail, then we have a serious problem on our hands.
A recent article with a MARTA high up said MARTA is scheduling to meet with the public in May and June for additional public comment and feedback. He also stated MARTA is only considering projects that were on the list to be funded by the MARTA tax.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Definitely understand. I'm actually just as frustrated, but I keep being told that there have been meetings in the communities about the upcoming plans that will finally start being revealed this summer.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 1:34 AM

Marta & atlanta area officials we want light rail

I seldom post, but I felt inclined. I am tired of hearing about discussions, meetings, studies, etc. MARTA start BUILDING.

WILL ANYTHING TRANSIT EVER GET BUILT IN ATLANTA PROPER.

Bus Rapid Transit is NOT the answer. Atlanta taxpayers are throwing so much money at the system currently - i ask when will we see the benefit.

On another MARTA note, there were promises to improve the look of the stations (e.g. North Avenue) what happend to those plans.

Atlantans should be outraged. It is time to start construction and establish accoutability.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNice View Post
Atlantans should be outraged. It is time to start construction and establish accoutability.
I love how disconnected from reality people are. They only established the funding mechanism for new transit (‘more marta’) in November 2016, about a year and 5 months ago. They passed the original funding mechanism for MARTA in 1971, but construction didn’t start until 1975, and rail operations didn’t start until 1979. It takes a lot of planning and time to get these projects built, and they don’t have the money right away. (Unless they issue bonds to fund construction and planning). They started collecting the additional sales tax in early 2017, so they only have about a year of revenue from the new tax at this point. These are not shovel ready projects, it will take years for the engineering, planning, and especially the funding to be collected for this to happen. They have announced already the projects they are considering.

I generally agree that the BRT through midtown will be underutilized. Their BRT through east lake was dismantled only a few years after operation due to low ridership, and without a dedicated right of way, it will be almost as frustrating as riding the silver line to the Logan airport in Boston during rush hour. Since they already have federal funding, I can guarantee you they were planning this BRT line long before the November 2016 transit vote.

I think BRT would be a good option for Cobb once the new hot lanes are in operation; transit training wheels for Cobb until they get their act together and get commuter rail or HRT up 75 one day.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 3:51 AM

Montydawg

Correction: I am well-conmected, and I use to be employed by MARTA. It is important to note that the State of Georgia for years required MARTA to dedicate 50 percent of funding specificallly to Capital expenditures. It was not until recently that the State gave the okay to change the 50/50 operational-to-capital expenditure requirement.

That said, there was a list of projects presented to the voters in advance of the vote. It is my expectation that MARTA will move forward with those projects and comply with the wishes of the voters.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:54 AM

Supernice: There was a HUGE list of “wishes” of which the costs far exceeded the amount of taxes which will be collected. I don’t believe any specific item was promised other than higher frequency on the busiest bus routes. Furthermore, the additional sales tax did not start until 4/1/2017; therefore, additional revenue for planning and actually hiring did not enter Marta’s accounts until after May 1, 2017.

I can’t wait to see the actual items proposed and financed as well, but in 11 months MARTA had to hire the people who would then hire the planners and start to schedule community meetings and input from all parties from national down to the neighborhood units which is now beginning to occur. It will be several more years before we see anything new except increased frequency on major arteries which I believe has already started to occur in the system. You’ve got years before you will see a station built or any new tracks laid anywhere whether it be BRT, LRT, HRT or streetcar lines.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
"63% of likely voters support expanding MARTA into Gwinnett" - this is not reality. It's like a headline 6 years ago "63% of likely voters support T-Splost". The business-political Establishment owns the media, never forget.
The "media" isn't fabricating the vastly different demographics of Gwinnett's population. Honestly, it is only a matter of when, not if Gwinnett eventually connects in some form to Marta via rail transit.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 5:54 PM

You're assuming that the new demographic will vote for Marta. You may be surprised. Maybe they will if it fits their own individual, enlightened self interest but not necessarily.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 6:02 PM

Quote:
You're assuming that the new demographic will vote for Marta. You may be surprised. Maybe they will if it fits their own individual, enlightened self interest but not necessarily.
I'm not assuming anything. I actually read their opinions in response to various surveys concerning Marta and transit.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 6:37 PM

You may be reading an example of fake news.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
You may be reading an example of fake news.
And if you believe that your entirely anecdotal evidence represents Gwinnett county's population then you may be (are) out of touch (delusional). The clock is ticking.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 12:58 PM

I merely want the voters to have all the facts.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 1:58 AM
AK

Officials said Thursday afternoon that the county’s comprehensive transit plan — the near-finished version of which will be revealed in a new round of public meetings that begins Saturday — will include the recommendation that rail service be built to connect a new “multimodal hub” on the western end of Gwinnett to the existing Doraville MARTA station. https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...jXnVMzZm84LTP/

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 11:54 AM

Gwinnett County staff proposing "MARTA-style" heavy rail line

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/loc...1beeebf52.html

Quote:
Gwinnett Transportation Director Alan Chapman said a heavy rail line from the Doraville MARTA station to a multimodal hub on Jimmy Carter Boulevard is a long-range proposal the county is looking at in its transit development plan.

It won’t come cheap. The 4- to 5-mile line could cost at least $1 billion at an expected cost of $250 million per mile, according to Chapman.

The project, which would be part of a transit expansion referendum that county officials plan to eventually put to the voters, would be tied to a multimodal hub that Chapman said commuters would use to change between different types of transit, such as bus rapid transit, also known as BRT.

“We think the best way to accomplish that is to bring the heavy rail out of Doraville up into Gwinnett, probably somewhere in the Jimmy Carter Boulevard area,” Chapman said. “That would allow us to establish transfers from local service, possibly from a BRT-type high capacity service and even express service. That’s just not possible at Doraville right now.”

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 1:17 AM

Work has officially begun at the Midtown MARTA Station

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Here’s the artist’s IG:
https://www.instagram.com/cat_farts
Personally, I’m rooting for anything but the naked animal people... but we will see.

Does anyone have tips about the projects MARTA is listing to gain public feedback in this spring/summer’s community engagement meetings??

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Here’s the artist’s IG:
https://www.instagram.com/cat_farts
Personally, I’m rooting for anything but the naked animal people... but we will see.

Does anyone have tips about the projects MARTA is listing to gain public feedback in this spring/summer’s community engagement meetings??
It looks like he loves painting naked animal people.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 1:41 PM

Yeah let’s hope Marta has him tone that down some! I personally don’t wanna be challenged in my masculinity by a man sized green frog ROFLMAO! Will be much better than the drab GREY for sure though!

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta