HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 4:01 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Build it. Build it right now.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 4:33 AM

I appreciate that its broken up fairly distinctly. Though not sure how I feel about the blobby bit in front of the middle portion.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 4:35 AM

This NEEDS to happen. Perfect for the area. My only nitpick is the that midlevel roof of the building on the right. I HOPE that space is not wasted and kept empty. Could easily be turned into a rooftop bar/lounge, would be great for the area.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
This NEEDS to happen. Perfect for the area. My only nitpick is the that midlevel roof of the building on the right. I HOPE that space is not wasted and kept empty. Could easily be turned into a rooftop bar/lounge, would be great for the area.
Agreed!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 6:10 AM

I've uploaded several hundred images over the last few days to my Flickr. If you have any requests let me know here, or DM me on instagram.

Here are some highlights:

Oceanwide Plaza by Hunter, on Flickr

Oceanwide Plaza & LA Live by Hunter, on Flickr

950 E Third by Hunter, on Flickr

La Plaza Cultura by Hunter, on Flickr

8th & Spring by Hunter, on Flickr

888 S Hope by Hunter, on Flickr

Oceanwide Plaza & Circa by Hunter, on Flickr

888 S Hope by Hunter, on Flickr

Lucas Museum of Narrative Art by Hunter, on Flickr

1027 Wilshire Blvd by Hunter, on Flickr

1120 S Grand / Aven by Hunter, on Flickr

6th Street Viaduct by Hunter, on Flickr

4th & Broadway (Perla) by Hunter, on Flickr

Axis on Hill by Hunter, on Flickr

Both these 7-stories are named 'Axis'. Whose bright idea was that?
Axis(s) by Hunter, on Flickr

OK didn't feel like making a new post, but here are a handful of images from today. The rest of them are at https://www.flickr.com/photos/hunterkerhart/

Downtown LA Skyline by Hunter, on Flickr

Park Fifth by Hunter, on Flickr

Metropolis by Hunter, on Flickr

Downtown LA Skyline by Hunter, on Flickr

Oceanwide Plaza by Hunter, on Flickr

Circa by Hunter, on Flickr

Apex 2 by Hunter, on Flickr

Last edited by ConstructDTLA; Apr 25, 2018 at 5:35 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 6:21 AM

Los Angeles saw the largest construction cost increases in the nation at nearly 8 percent between April 1, 2017, and April 1, 2018.

I know that many companies are struggling to recruit enough skilled workers.

The labor shortage in Los Angeles is a real problem even so construction workers in California are among the highest-paid in the nation.

Remember, L.A. must add hundreds of thousands of new residences to adequately house its growing number of citizens.
Our city remains one of the hottest markets in the world and that won't end anytime soon.

@ Hunter

Lovely update, thank you.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
I've uploaded several hundred images over the last few days

your welcome set of pics deserves some video....this person's presentation could be more tightly edited, but its length gets to key quotes around 8:38....

Video Link

dtla is in better, more interesting, shape...in various ways....today than in over 80 yrs....or since the city was created.

Even before dt started to fall apart beginning around the 1950s, or as long ago as the 1920s, it had never been a part of LA that ppl would want to live in....or lived in. Unless they were struggling pensioners or the types who still admittedly make up areas like skid row & wander all over dt. I know you & others in the hood 24/7 have mentioned the problems of such homeless through the yrs. The hood is still a work still in progress.....I hope it never falls apart all over again.

quality housing never existed in dt throughout most of the city's history. There were some old victorian houses on bunker hill, some rooms in bldgs like the biltmore hotel. But that was about it. Most of the houses on bunker hill went to seed during the early 1900s, so dtla actually lost even more of what little it originally had.

Hard to think of LA during all the yrs it was mostly areas like samo, pasadena, malibu, palos verdes, century city, bev hills, the burbs, that were in decent shape. The time when those hoods had to make up for the weaknesses of dtla. Never again, please.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 10:38 PM

Has there been any news on 1349 S. Grand Avenue, 1201 S. Grand St, and 12 and Grand? I forgot they existed till I was browsing the map on the first page today.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 3:55 AM

In light of Banc of California Stadium's grand opening this Sunday, I can't wait what they will do around the stadium in the future as far as housing and retail goes. Will definitely see an increase in pedestrian activity along Fig and Expo. However, have y'all thought about the idea of having a proposed ballpark on the former Farmers Field site? The area around LA Live is growing and would love to distract myself before and after Dodger games.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 11:09 AM

https://la.eater.com/2018/4/24/17276...-photos-inside

eater has photos of the veranda at hotel Fig. And this probably outdoes the lobby I posted a couple months back.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 7:18 PM

Chick-fil-a opened at 7th & Fig today!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 2:52 AM
Paramoderator

Gondola from Union Station to Dodger Stadium.

Great idea. I've always thought this should happen, but from the Chinatown Gold Line station instead. Fine with Union Station though. Dodger Stadium is so inaccessible and there is such horrible traffic up there during a gameday this has been a long time coming and will be immensely useful. Hopefully if this proves successful another can be built in Chinatown - this can only move 5k people per hour and could easily stand to be supplemented. Tbh, it could be great for a network of these across Griffith Park. Imagine a Gondola to the LA Zoo, or even The Observatory. Would be amazing and so useful. And imagine the views!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 3:54 AM

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 4:27 PM

dtla is developing quite a variety of rooftop areas....some urbanists may not care for that since it separates ppl from sidewalks & moves them up to areas several stories high. But since there are ongoing problems with homelessness, which never seem to be solved, ppl in cocoons up in the air may be the only way to keep tourists & day trippers headed to dtla.

same with the parking setup at the old terminal mkt area near the arts dist.....the convenience of curbside parking there will give shops an advantage that stores on streets like broadway still lack. This is LA, after all. dtla still has the disadvantage of a lack of enough convenient, cheap parking that businesses in samo & oldtown pasadena rely upon to keep ppl shopping in those areas.

Quote:
The NoMad’s rooftop bar and café opens to the public on Thursday
By Stephanie B Posted: Tuesday April 17 2018

We’ve had a rough run of rain, below-60 temps and blustery days over the last few weeks, but it finally feels as though L.A. is ready for patio weather, and so is the NoMad Hotel. This Thursday, one of the city’s most anticipated rooftops finally opens to the public, with clear views from 12 stories above DTLA, one of the best bar programs in the country and some killer ice cream sandwiches.

The NoMad’s poolside bar and café launched quietly for guests last month, but this week, those looking for light bites and a range of cocktails—including frozen drinks and tiki classics—can head to the corner of Olive and 7th and take the elevator a few stories up. The elevator doors open to reveal a setting not unlike a Mediterranean villa, adorned with terra cotta, wrought iron and red tile. Potted olive, lemon and orange trees line the perimeter, and feel almost transportive. Gone are L.A.’s palm fronds, the traffic, even the noise: You may be surrounded by Downtown’s high-rises, but get a spritz in your hand and it’s like you’re continents away.

“Because of the building’s history as the Bank of Italy, and given the Los Angeles sunshine, everything is modeled through that Italian and Mediterranean feel,” says Adam George Fournier, NoMad’s assistant bar manager. “It does have that breezy Italian villa vibe to it, and I believe that’s also part of the idea of having Orcus out there, our patron demon of the pool.”

Quote:
Row DTLA Is Aiming To Be DTLA's Retail Destination
April 26, 2018 Joseph Pimentel, Bisnow Los Angeles

Bisnow/Joseph Pimentel

In its early days, the land where the mixed-use Row DTLA sits was a central gathering place. Residents and business owners in the 1920s would flock to the LA Terminal Market to get their hands on the freshest produce.

Nearly a hundred years later, Row DTLA has undergone a significant transformation from an industrial marketplace for produce to a 32-acre central urban office, retail and dining hub.

“It’s becoming a great destination for people to work out, shop, eat and work,” said CBRE First Vice President Chris Penrose, who handles the office leasing component of the property.

As downtown continues its creative office and residential revitalization, especially in the nearby growing Arts District, Row DTLA is seen by some as the missing retail piece for the area to truly create an urban live, work, play and shop destination.

The Arts District has undergone a massive transformation, which will be the focus of Bisnow's Neighborhood Series: The Arts District event June 19. A former railroad and industrial manufacturing site in the early and mid-1900s, then a haven for artists in the 1970s through the 1990s, the Arts District has evolved into a hip urban area with several residential and mixed-use developments in the pipeline.

Storefronts and restaurants line the first level. Creative offices are on the above floors and a 4K SF rooftop deck overlooks downtown Los Angeles.

When fully built-out in the next couple of years, there will be more than 100 ground-level shops, a dozen restaurants, art galleries and hundreds of office workers.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonLA View Post
It's funny how some people are so effusive about Chick-fil-A's opening--a company notorious for its homophobic donations and, at the very least, divisive to this forum--but say nary a word about other restaurant openings. Curious...
I don't understand the fascination with Chick-fil-A either. It's not even a local company, just another national corporate chain/franchise. I don't like that it's homophobic either; I've never eaten at one, and I never will.

I'd have rather preferred a Habit Burger or Massis Kabob opened up in that space or something. Or Zankou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
^ So fucking typical of Los Angeles to make the most unwalkable & inaccessible block in the area our 'retail destination'. Rooting for this entire project to fail.
In all fairness, though, that complex was originally not meant to be a retail center. But I like the concept of adaptive reuse.

I've overheard people talking about the Arts District while in the Arts District, saying things like many areas are not pedestrian friendly, the streets are configured weirdly, Alameda is too wide... but what is now the Arts District was originally not meant to be an area where people would be living in and walking around. I assume these people don't know the history of the area; it started out as an industrial area in the early 20th Century after all, so many of the buildings have/had loading docks for trucks as well as for rail cars. The area is full of streets and blocks that originally had rail spurs that went up to the buildings. And Alameda is as wide as it is because rail lines went down it, for freight as well as passenger trains.

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Apr 27, 2018 at 8:04 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 9:49 PM

You know everyone is having a rough week when people start debating LA Vs. Atlanta and an over priced Chick-FiL-A opening downtown LOL. I'm normally the argumentative one on this thread. Let me keep that title, thanks .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Gondola from Union Station to Dodger Stadium.

This.......interesting.....a bit on the Gimmicky side but still interesting.....The thing that worries me is the distance between Union Station and the stadium. Id like to see what route is picked. if its awkwardly laid out all over china town and etc. I might grab a pitchfork and join the nimbys.

*PS*

Not to mention..... Its being brought to us by Frank McCourt. That alone makes me quiver, seeing how its coming from someone who pretty much held the Dodgers hostage a few years ago. With an ego like his, I'd rather he not be attached.

Last edited by caligrad; Apr 27, 2018 at 10:37 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post

Chick-Fil-A is the kind of place...like Sonic...where it has this following of people that swear by it, but I have tried it, and a basic chicken sandwich has never been so overhyped. Lets not even get started on the religious nonsense from their owners.
It’s like the opening of Dunkin Donuts. A certain segment gets really excited about it, but it’s a segment that I don’t believe have particularly good taste in food, or very limited tastes. It’s a place mostly filled with middle-aged white folks in cargo shorts. That pretty much says it all about the basic bitchness of it’s appeal. And that’s fine. It’s a chicken sandwich after all. Some people really like chicken sandwiches.

But for those who can’t get excited over a chicken sandwich because they’re aware that LA has become arguably the greatest food city in America (not boosterism, just a widely accepted view among food media), there are better places to be excited about soon to open in DTLA:

Bavel
Tartine Manufactory
Daikokuya
Restaurants by Enrique Olvera, Jessica Largey, Mei Lin, Lincoln Carson and a ton more flooding from all over the country.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 2:12 AM
你的媽媽

I've been to the ROW before. It's a nice concept. The area is somewhat reminiscent of what the Dogpatch in SF used to be. It has potential, but what's up with the Disneyland style mega parking structure? Are there no plans for rail expansion in this area?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 4:13 AM
Paramoderator

As of now ROW is nice in and of itself but totally cut off from the rest of downtown. The development would be a lot nicer if they develop the giant dirt moat that surrounds the development, connecting ROW to the rest of downtown.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
You know everyone is having a rough week when people start debating LA Vs. Atlanta and an over priced Chick-FiL-A opening downtown LOL. I'm normally the argumentative one on this thread. Let me keep that title, thanks .

This.......interesting.....a bit on the Gimmicky side but still interesting.....The thing that worries me is the distance between Union Station and the stadium. Id like to see what route is picked. if its awkwardly laid out all over china town and etc. I might grab a pitchfork and join the nimbys.

*PS*

Not to mention..... Its being brought to us by Frank McCourt. That alone makes me quiver, seeing how its coming from someone who pretty much held the Dodgers hostage a few years ago. With an ego like his, I'd rather he not be attached.
I fully expect McCourt & company has more plans than the gondola. In a few years, part of the vast Dodger Stadium parking lot will probably be replaced with a few thousand units of apartments and condos. Possibly a few 20 story towers. Maybe they could use it as an Olympic Village for the '28 games? After converted to condos & apartments. Where else is there this much land to build on with such a view? The Dodgers are in town maybe 75 days a year. Have to have a reason to operate the gondola for the other 3/4 of the year. I fully support putting some housing & retail up there. There is a housing shortage after all. A few 20-30 story towers, even better. Dodger City. To make up for the lost parking, they can put in a parking structure or two. I hope the gondola has a stop in Chinatown which it will fly over.

And continuing on the gondola topic, why not one to the top of Mt. Hollywood, with a stop at the Observatory? The tourists & locals would love it. A gondola to the top of Mt. Wilson might be too much to ask, but the view would be great.

Last edited by CaliNative; Apr 28, 2018 at 9:20 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations