HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 9:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierAtlanta View Post
Funny you mention Richmond. I was in Bethany Beach this weekend (one of the benefits of living in the DC area) and a new acquaintance asked me have I visited Richmond. My first thought was "wwwwwhy". I was given a very positive run down on why Richmond Rocks.

Clearly I need to make a trip to Richmond and soon. From the music scene to dining to history, apparently I will be pleased.
OMG...Richmond has every bit the sophistication of DC and the residential areas are some of the best in the country. The music, food and culture are in the big leagues too.

Take a look at some of the row houses in the Fan. I wish Atlanta had neighborhoods like this.
https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...yped&term_meta[]=The%20Fan%20Richmond%7Ctyped

This is a better link

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...w=1698&bih=937

Last edited by Atlanta3000; Apr 23, 2018 at 9:21 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 9:51 PM

I guess economically my family is working class & feel that we are shafted by the state and federal governments. Every middle class or working class I speak with (other than government feeders)(and we make up 75% of the population) is of the same opinion. When I infrequently visit DC I get depressed with the blandness, the government waste, the lobbyist fixers, lawyers, bureaucrats, politicians. It's my observation that 80% of the area is directly or indirectly funded from government, and those are by the way the wealthiest counties in America by far. Not even the bay area can match that average income level and all at the expense to the rest of us. If you think that's likable and sustainable then more power to you.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 10:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
I guess economically my family is working class & feel that we are shafted by the state and federal governments. Every middle class or working class I speak with (other than government feeders)(and we make up 75% of the population) is of the same opinion. When I infrequently visit DC I get depressed with the blandness, the government waste, the lobbyist fixers, lawyers, bureaucrats, politicians. It's my observation that 80% of the area is directly or indirectly funded from government, and those are by the way the wealthiest counties in America by far. Not even the bay area can match that average income level and all at the expense to the rest of us. If you think that's likable and sustainable then more power to you.
I guess my problem when I hear people insinuate big government is bad is because they are quick to blame the lower class and/or minorities. The fact is, the rich, corporations and lobbyist are destroying this country...one tax cut at a time, one environment and financial deregulation at a time and each time we fund more massive defense spending programs. Did you see that shit bag Sean Hannity, the lover of less government used the Federal HUD Loan Program to amass some 800 homes. He even got Ben Carson to approve a recent $5 Million loan to buy more after he on his show last month. Fair and Balanced my Aunt Fanny!

I do agree that 80% of the DC region is unquestionably a function of the government, directly or indirectly.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 12:44 AM

The ultimate blame does rest with the power people (Bourbon class) because they're the ones who could effect change, but of course they're vested. Big government IS a problem because it's the rich living off the democratic middle class. They pretend to care for the poor but it's just talk and what little they pretend to do is actually counterproductive. It's not a partisan issue, please don't try to make it so. Both sides are equally eating off the middle class. This cannot stand.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 12:51 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
If you think that's likable and sustainable then more power to you.
As long as the US dollar remains the world's reserve currency, it's absolutely sustainable.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 12:59 AM

How long can it continue with exporting trillions in paper money? There will be a tipping point. Of course the poor will be first to feel it.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 7:49 AM

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 9:17 PM
BANNED

So MD's Governor is now saying Amazon is promising 50K - 80K jobs with HQ2. Or at least that is what the Governor's lips are saying. However, it appears MD is grabbing their ankles to try and land the deal by offering Amazon $8.5 Billion in incentives and they are now offering to share the job creation with DC and/or VA. This sounds like the acts of a desperado throwing a Hail Mary pass.

This article (link below) cements my belief Amazon sees the challenges of bringing HQ2 to the DC region. Just think.....if Amazon was to bring HQ2 to Atlanta it would require a monumental effort on the behalf of the CoA, the State of GA, as well as, all of the counties in the metro Atlanta that are going to be impacted with respect to transportation, education (more students), housing (additional supply and price increase), taxes and incentives. However, if Amazon were to select any city in the DC region it would require the same efforts as if they came to GA (((Multiplied by Three))).

Another topic not discussed is what will be the impact to the Federal Government and to Federal Contractors if Amazon needs 50K - 80K high-tech workers? How much will they have to increase pay on average to retain and attract their high-tech workers? I believe Amazon will receive more blowback from this than any other aspect of the HQ2 debacle. This expense will impact every tax payer, not just the people living in MD, DC and VA.

Atlanta was the clear choice in the beginning of this shit show and I believe it will be in the END!

Md. governor open to sharing the Amazon HQ2 wealth with D.C., Virginia

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...nt=firefox-b-1

Quote:
The PRIME Act requires Amazon to fill at least 40,000 qualified positions in its selected Maryland as a condition of its incentives package, leaving little room for job creation in neighboring D.C. or Virginia based on Amazon's projections of up to 50,000 jobs for HQ2 over time. Hogan said Amazon has since floated the prospect that its job creation figures will exceed 50,000 and that those additional jobs could flow to D.C. or Virginia.

"The good news is they’re now talking about direct jobs of between 50[,000] and 80,000 and our economist at the department of commerce says there's at least a 1-to-1 ratio, so 50,000 jobs means over 100[,000], 60[,000] or 80[,000] means even more so, and we’re hoping to get them all in Maryland, but we'd love to have, 40,000 jobs is nothing to sneeze at."

Last edited by Atlanta3000; Apr 26, 2018 at 10:30 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 4:33 PM

It's official: Amazon will bring 2,000 new jobs to Seapor

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...to-boston.html
Quote:
The announcement confirms Boston Business Journal reporting from February and is independent from the Seattle company's ongoing search for a location for its second headquarters.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 8:26 PM
BANNED

Prediction:

Between now and May 11th Amazon will announce the city awarded HQ2. 99% sure Atlanta is the city.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 10:09 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Coolio this saga can finally end next Friday!

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 11:30 PM
Voice of the Modern World

ATL3K I just saw you post the same thing on twitter 5/10 or 5/11.

Is this just a hunch or has AMZN quietly inked its first sublease behind the scenes and getting ready to announce?

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 11:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
ATL3K I just saw you post the same thing on twitter 5/10 or 5/11.

Is this just a hunch or has AMZN quietly inked its first sublease behind the scenes and getting ready to announce?
I have a source that said Amazon is in talks to lease 1 Million sqft in the AT&T building in Midtown. The reason I think it will be next week is the city of Seattle is voting to impose a $75 Million a year tax on Amazon to fund their homeless programs. I think Amazon will want to send them a message before the vote on May 11th.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Prediction:

Between now and May 11th Amazon will announce the city awarded HQ2. 99% sure Atlanta is the city.
Your track record is great so I'm REALLY excited atm.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 1:41 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Prediction:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
Your track record is great so I'm REALLY excited atm.
Agreed!

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 2:41 AM

We'll see lol.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 1:16 PM

Quote:
I have a source that said Amazon is in talks to lease 1 Million sqft in the AT&T building in Midtown. The reason I think it will be next week is the city of Seattle is voting to impose a $75 Million a year tax on Amazon to fund their homeless programs. I think Amazon will want to send them a message before the vote on May 11th.
I agree with AT&T, but disagree that Amazon wants to send messages to Seattle by announcing Atlanta as HQ2, not sure executives operate like that or that it really sends any type of "message"

I still expect to hear something in late June/July as an official announcement, I don't expect the list to be shortened any further.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 2:35 PM

If its Atlanta, it will be even more exciting than the It's Atlanta for the Olympics announcement. I been sensing something great is on the horizon. Amazon's computer algorithms and data research has known who the winner was from day one.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 3:17 PM

Just to add, I assume Selig and Cousins are highly aware (if not involved) in these discussions with Amazon. 1125 seems to have been suddenly fast-tracked especially with the way they normally stagger their developments (1105 WP hasn't broken ground yet). It appears Cousins will also be developing the 3rd & Ponce parcel (in addition to their recently proposed 500' tower on WP) based on the inferences made in the Bisnow article. Nobody wants to go on record in the REIT industry, but lots of wink-wink, nudge-nudge happens. Where there is smoke...

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptychtwo View Post
Just to add, I assume Selig and Cousins are highly aware (if not involved) in these discussions with Amazon. 1125 seems to have been suddenly fast-tracked especially with the way they normally stagger their developments (1105 WP hasn't broken ground yet). It appears Cousins will also be developing the 3rd & Ponce parcel (in addition to their recently proposed 500' tower on WP) based on the inferences made in the Bisnow article. Nobody wants to go on record in the REIT industry, but lots of wink-wink, nudge-nudge happens. Where there is smoke...
All these new annoucement are within the vicinity of the AT&T tower? Seattle Times comments section have people wondering if city council games will turn HQ2 will now turn into HQ1.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta