HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 4:09 PM
surely you're not serious

Proposed "Crepe Myrtle" bike/jogging trail

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 8:54 PM

Has anyone noticed the "For Sale" signs are down from the Gayfers Building downtown?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 3:35 PM

That's good news. I saw a recent bid for work on that building last month. We lost the bid, but that is a typical sign that something will happen to it.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elb401 View Post
That's good news. I saw a recent bid for work on that building last month. We lost the bid, but that is a typical sign that something will happen to it.
What was the bid for? Interior demolition?

Also, I spy a potential new brewery downtown:
http://urban.cityofmobile.org/urban_...rrent_key=1077

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 6:14 PM

The firm that I work for does a lot of market studies in the southeast for different types of properties from senior housing, apartments, to large offices. It could have been anything.

About the brewery that would be the Roussos Restaurant in Fort Conde Village. I hope it goes through!!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 10:21 PM

A quick Downtown rundown:

- van Antwerp renovation (ongoing)
- Dauphin/Royal parking garage - including ground level retail (ongoing)
- retail space renovations in Trustmark Building - ground level - possible Chick Fil A and another unnamed new tenant (ongoing)
- 360 Dauphin apartment conversions (ongoing)
- 7 story Hilton Garden Inn hotel on Bienville Square (announced, November start?)
- old P-R building conversions into apartments (announced, no movement yet)
- Gayfers Building renovations - unknown use (unannounced)
- refurbishment/expansion? of Admiral Semmes hotel (semi-unannounced)
- unnamed brewery - Ft Conde Village (unannounced)
- Ft Conde Village loft/retail conversions/new construction (announced, not yet started)
- refurbishment and expansion of Federal Courthouse (announced, not yet started)
- 951 Government St. - conversion into apartments (announced, underway)
- 558 Dauphin - historical renovations - conversion into retail/apartments (announced, underway)
- 459 Conti - small, 6-7 unit apartment conversion (semi-announced, not yet started)
- renovations on building connected to Moes on Dauphin - use unknown - (ongoing)
- Jimmy John's space in Hampton Garden Inn on Royal - (ongoing)
- 222 Dauphin - building refurbishment - (ongoing)
- Terezza Optical on Dauphin (paused?)
- unnamed restaurant on Conception/Conti corner - (ongoing)
- 220 St. Michael refurbishment - unknown use? - (ongoing)
- 250 St. Francis condos - (still no word)
- 551 Dauphin - conversion (paused?)
- I-10 ramp realignment - thereby expanding Ft Conde Village - (pushed to 2015)
- GulfQuest Museum - (opening soon?)

I probably missed something... anybody have anything to add?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 10:06 PM

Hillcrest Plaza

Has any one seen a rendering for the renovation going on at the Hillcrest Plaza? I have noticed they are doing a major face lift to the shopping center. Also I got word via Facebook (Cummings and Associations, Inc) there will be a new anchor tenant to be announced soon!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 10:36 PM

Gayfer's Building

It would be nice if this is still going on at the old Gayfer's building. I love this rendering. Commercial/Residential

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by future_mobile View Post
It would be nice if this is still going on at the old Gayfer's building. I love this rendering. Commercial/Residential

That would be an awesome project. There's already a conversion project ongoing next door on St. Emanuel, which I forgot to include above...

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 12:52 AM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

There are a few restaurant openings downtown.

Cotton State BBQ

The Noble South

A new winery but I forgot the name. It`s down the street from the Proposed St. Francis Condos.

Councilman Manzi mentioned about a new state of the art Museum in Mobile`s Africa town and a possible Coltilda slave ship replica that will be apart of the new museum( M fingers are crossed!!).

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port_of_Bama View Post
There are a few restaurant openings downtown.

Cotton State BBQ

The Noble South

A new winery but I forgot the name. It`s down the street from the Proposed St. Francis Condos.

Councilman Manzi mentioned about a new state of the art Museum in Mobile`s Africa town and a possible Coltilda slave ship replica that will be apart of the new museum( M fingers are crossed!!).

Firehouse Wine Bar.. Located in an old fire station building. Nice place

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 11:44 PM

Virginia's again?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 7:44 PM

Future Serda's Brewery passes Zoning Hurdle.

From AL.com

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index....n_old_rou.html

Quote:
Plan to put brewery in old Roussos building clears zoning hurdle

By Lawrence Specker | lspecker@al.com

A plan to bring a new brewery to downtown Mobile cleared what might have been a major hurdle on Monday, as a zoning conflict simply evaporated.

As Mobile's Board of Zoning Adjustment met on Monday, one of the matters before it was a request for a variance in the zoning of the former Roussos restaurant building, a large one-story brick structure at 166 S. Royal St. within Fort Conde Village. It is the proposed future site of the Serda Brewing Co., a venture whose partners include downtown businessman John Serda, owner of Serda's Coffee Co.

Prior to the meeting, the city's Land Use Administration staff had raised several objections to the proposal, and had recommended that the zoning not be changed to accommodate a brewery. But when the Board of Zoning Adjustment got around to that item on the agenda, it no longer was an item on the agenda.

Board Chairman William L. Guess was informed that as the brewery's backers had clarified their plans, the Land Use Administration staff had come to see the venture differently: Essentially it would be a café, with an auxiliary brewing operation, and this was in fact permissible under the current zoning.

Since no zoning variance was required, the request for one was withdrawn. Since the request was withdrawn, the board had nothing to consider, and the brewery backers were free to move forward toward the day when they would serve their first made-in-Mobile beers.

Kurt Vonnegut

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 7:45 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Spanish Fort paving way for medium-rise office buildings as demand rises on Eastern S

Spanish Fort paving way for medium-rise office buildings as demand rises on Eastern Shore

Quote:
Demand for premium office space on the Eastern Shore continues to heat up and officials are working on ways to foster the lucrative white-collar development market.

In Spanish Fort, the city is moving toward adding a new C-1 zoning district to allow for medium-rise commercial office buildings, up to 120 feet.

"There has been a developer that has requested this change for perhaps a future office building," Mayor Mike McMillan said.

The proposed location for the building, according to the mayor, is the Bass Pro Shops-anchored Spanish Fort Town Center near Interstate 10 and overlooking Mobile Bay.

The city's planning board has given the council a positive recommendation on the zoning ordinance amendment and a public hearing is slated for Monday, Aug. 4.

If the plan comes to fruition, it would fill a void for premier Class A office space on the Eastern Shore.

"The problem that we have is that there really isn't any true, what we would consider Class A, office space along that 1-10 corridor and in that Daphne and Spanish Fort area," said Lee Lawson, executive director of the Baldwin County Economic Development Alliance. "There's several places where there's some smaller office space that's really B or C class. Our organization has seen some great opportunities come our way that we just haven't been able to compete for because we don't have the space available for these folks."

In order to tap that potential, Lawson said Spanish Fort and Daphne are moving in the right direction.

In Daphne's ring is Councilman Joe Davis III who constantly beats the drum of being proactive in attracting white-collar companies via his seat on the city's Industrial Development Board.

When Mobile landed the $600 million Airbus assembly plant that is expected to come online in 2015, it also put the Mobile Bay area on the map. And Davis has noted on more than one occasion during council meetings that the city is "growing whether we want to or not and it's our job to be a part of the big plan."

The city has seen success, too. Mobile-based BBB Industries, an automotive parts manufacturer and distributor, is constructing a new 15,395-square-foot, two-story office building at the corner of U.S. 90 and Renaissance Boulevard, behind Lowe's.

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index....l#incart_river

Would it be a good idea to have an office park in Spanish Fort ?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 1:49 PM

Admiral Semmes reno

From the Downtown Mobile Alliance newsletter:

We recently reported the sale of the Admiral Semmes Hotel to out of state investors, who just unveiled a multi-million dollar renovation plan. The hotel will sport a chic, modern color scheme with updated finishes and all new furnishings. The owners intend to operate as a boutique hotel, with all the amenities the "boutique" traveler has come to expect.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 8:15 PM

Pretty cool if this is still the plan.

http://blog.al.com/press-register-bu...s_hotel_s.html

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 3:16 PM

Hey. I know a lot of ya'll have seen these, but I thought they were neat.

http://www.mobileriverbridge.com/vie...enderings.html

http://www.mobileriverbridge.com/bridge-renderings.html

https://www.facebook.com/BuildTheI10Bridge

Check out the video on the facebook page.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 9:26 PM

As an out of towner with lots of family in the area, I would LOVE to see this bridge happen. All that I-10/Govt. Blvd/Old Tunnel traffic is insane at rush hour. And if there's an accident on the I-10 bridge, forget it! Definitely needed....hey the bridge up a little north made a difference there.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 5:52 PM

What is that tower crane in downtown mobile constructing?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 8:01 PM

There is a crane outside the Van Antwerp building. RSA is renovating the property into Class A office. It is almost leased up after years of being nearly vacant.

RSA is also building a parking garage next to the RSA tower.......but I don't know if there is a crane up there yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast