HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 10:02 PM

Looking for a very wide, wooden dock and a road that follows water to the edge

I'm looking for these places anywhere in the midwest, but preferably as close to Chicago as possible.

COASTAL ROAD
I'm looking for a coastal road, something with water nearly touching the road. So, preferably very little land, with no obstructions, between the road and the water. This is my best find so far, "The Great River Road" which follows the Mississippi, and sometimes other rivers, through the midwest. The picture below is near St Louis. If there's a location like this, closer to Chicago, that would would be better.

HUGE, WIDE, WOODEN, DOCK

We may be able to convince them to nix looking for wood, and simply add it in. I've suggested Navy Pier and The Columbian Yacht club in Chicago. The man in the image can give you an idea of the width they're looking at. FYI, it has to support a lot of weight.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 12:19 AM
Honored Member

The closest thing you'll find on Michigan's West Coast is Beach Road in Muskegon, MI. It's not very long, and there's a fair amount of Beach between the road and the lake. Besides that there's Michigan 116 in Ludington State Park that runs along the lake with a bit of beach in between.

A cool river example is Huron River Drive near Ann Arbor. It's literally about 2 feet between the edge of the road and the river with no guard rail, but there is a fair amount of vegetation in that space. Granted the road is only about 2/3 of a mile along the river like that.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 6:11 PM

Can you use the concrete bulkheads along the lake to pretend they are a road? They have easy vehicular access and can be easily closed off for filming. The landscape is dramatically different all along the Chicago shoreline. From natural areas, to towers, to more midrise stuff. But there's always that wide strip of concrete that varies anywhere to 25' - 100'. You'd still have to add a wood deck in post production.

There is a road just north of downtown Kenosha that I rode my bike on. It's right up against the lake and just has a rock breakwall. But from the road it looks like there's not much there between the edge of the shoulder and the lake. It runs through a park.

There is a wider than normal wooden pier in Bay City, Michigan on the Saginaw river. Actually, I think it's concrete slab with wood deck over top. It used to be a rail causeway but was converted to recreation uses. There's a newer building on the end of the pier which may complicate the background. Google earth shows the pier as 20' wide.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 5:30 PM

Thanks for the input. Huron River Drive looks nice, although it might be too far away. I'm defiantly looking at western michigan as an option, although, there seems to be a lot of promising locations that have trees in the way . Damn michigan and it's excessive amount if trees!!

Ian , you're thinking like me. I considered the lakefront trail for sure, but I would be concerned about using it. Part of our job is to not piss off the city , and Im thinking closing down the lakefront trail might piss off a lot of wealthy Chicagoans , enough that they will call their alderman to complain . It's not a movie or tv show , so people will def. complain about doing it for a petty commercial project . I presented the location as a dock option though , only because I think we can do that piece without shutting it down .

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 5:40 PM

If Grand Haven/Grand Rapids aren't too far, you could look into locations their. Grand Haven has a nice boardwalk that runs from the middle of the town along the Grand River to the outer lighthouse in Lake Michigan. Depending on how wide of a 'road' you need, you could possibly use the Fred Meijer Millennium Trail in Millennium Park, Grand Rapids.

Last edited by JonathanGRR; Apr 13, 2014 at 8:16 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 6:59 PM

Areas around montrose harbor might work though. Residents may object to closure of the lake front continuity, but I doubt anyone would object near montrose harbor. It's quiet beyond the natural area, except for a half dozen joggers.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 10:47 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
Thanks for the input. Huron River Drive looks nice, although it might be too far away. I'm defiantly looking at western michigan as an option, although, there seems to be a lot of promising locations that have trees in the way . Damn michigan and it's excessive amount if trees!!

Ian , you're thinking like me. I considered the lakefront trail for sure, but I would be concerned about using it. Part of our job is to not piss off the city , and Im thinking closing down the lakefront trail might piss off a lot of wealthy Chicagoans , enough that they will call their alderman to complain . It's not a movie or tv show , so people will def. complain about doing it for a petty commercial project . I presented the location as a dock option though , only because I think we can do that piece without shutting it down .
i've never been, but there are there's that harbor on alton pool on the missouri side.

grafton is photogenic, can't remember what the entire dock sitch is.

elsa, il on the river there looks like more of a new england village than i've ever seen in new england, if you ever need that, haha.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest