HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 4:21 AM
mAd cRaZy CoDeR

How distinctive is the original SkyTrain "sound"?

Question, having lived in Vancouver and riding the SkyTrain a lot I have come to recognize that distinctive "starting to go" sound in TV. Do other systems in other cities have the same sound signature. ( I know they vary a lot ).

Reason I ask, I just watched Blacklist from last monday and the train had that SkyTrain sound signature. I know Blacklist is filmed in NY but they could have used the SkyTrain sound file or other trains have the same signature.

Thoughts?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitc View Post
Question, having lived in Vancouver and riding the SkyTrain a lot I have come to recognize that distinctive "starting to go" sound in TV. Do other systems in other cities have the same sound signature. ( I know they vary a lot ).

Reason I ask, I just watched Blacklist from last monday and the train had that SkyTrain sound signature. I know Blacklist is filmed in NY but they could have used the SkyTrain sound file or other trains have the same signature.

Thoughts?
I think the sound might be mechanical so any third rail system would probably make a relatively similar sound.

Could be wrong though.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 4:20 PM

The NYC subway definitely doesn't sound like the skytrain, so it's possible they used a Bombardier LRT sound profile.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K. View Post
The NYC subway definitely doesn't sound like the skytrain, so it's possible they used a Bombardier LRT sound profile.
The one exception is the Air Train (small stretch that connects the terminals at JFK airport together and then continues on to connect the metro and regional rail network). That use the same technology as Skytrain.

The product the Expo, Millennium and Evergreen line is based on is called the "Bombardier Innovia Metro" and it is used in several parts of the world. I think the weird sound comes from the induction drive technology.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
The one exception is the Air Train (small stretch that connects the terminals at JFK airport together and then continues on to connect the metro and regional rail network). That use the same technology as Skytrain.
When I took the Air Train from JFK airport a few years ago, it definitely had a very similar sound to Skytrain. Not exact, but eerily similar.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 9:09 PM
(daka_x)

I was on the AirTrain this december; it sounds exactly like our first gen Mk IIs. Somewhat quieter though. However, at full speed (full speed on the AirTrain is either 90 or 100km/h, a bit faster than our SkyTrain system) it's almost noiseless.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
I was on the AirTrain this december; it sounds exactly like our first gen Mk IIs. Somewhat quieter though. However, at full speed (full speed on the AirTrain is either 90 or 100km/h, a bit faster than our SkyTrain system) it's almost noiseless.
There is a blub on the technology on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_Innovia_Metro

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 7:26 PM
loafing in lotusland

The Nagahori Tsurumi-Ryokuchi line in Osaka was Japan's first subway with Linear Induction motors (I know they're not Bombardier). Built in 1990 (wow, it's much cleaner than any EXPO line station built post 1990!). Since the entire line is underground, the 4th rail electrical pickups are above.

Here's one of the better videos of the sound profile:
Video Link

The wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagahor...-ryokuchi_Line

A good image of both the linear plate and the overhead rail:

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 2:37 AM
mAd cRaZy CoDeR

Thanks...interesting. Closed my eyes while playing video and it is close - but not quite the same. But my memory might be affecting things.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia