HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 3:35 AM

Need Road Conditions Advice in BC

Driving from Edmonton to Quesnel via the 16 to PG and the 97 south. Anticipate arriving in Quesnel on Sunday. From there I'm heading to Vancouver (Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal) with a loaded horse trailer. And then back to Alberta again a week later via the 5 and 16.

What is highway 16 and highway 97 like this time of year? Would it be most advisable to take highway 99 via Lytton, Pemberton, and Whistler; highway 1 via Cache Creek, Spence's Bridge, and Lilloet; or highway 5 via Cache Creek, Kamploops, and Merrit down to the coast?

The only highway I haven't driven this time of year is 99. That said, neither the Coquahalla nor the Fraser Canyon are roads I want to take with a horse trailer. Is the 99 okay to take this time of year, or will there be a significant amount of snow (over 8 inches will be a concern)?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 4:31 AM

99 between Lillooet and Pemberton is quite steep and has a summit of 1250 meters. I haven't driven it in winter, but it could be pretty sketchy to drive with your setup. I would take Fraser Canyon, which is fairly flat route.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 4:57 PM

Thank's Klazu!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 12:13 AM

I have hauled a fully loaded 40 boat trailer with 1 ton dully over the coq and Frazier in the winter and summer months. And i have driven Whistler to Lillooet. i would take the coq over any route. Frazier is to twisty for a load that does not have good pulling power, and 99 is just sketchy at the best of times. Also use Drive BC for road conditions.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 5:20 PM
HVAC guru

BC highway traffic cams. I use them religiously when travelling in BC when the roads are questionable

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia