HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 7:06 AM

I will change the subject (and request that people not continue the talk of Homelessness since its a conversation that goes nowhere - our politicians are too afraid to address it) to one of Downtowns great mid-century structures.

Parker center has an uncertain future.

Parker Center, July 18th 2014 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Curbed article from last year: http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/0..._center_hq.php

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 6:55 PM
:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemycity21 View Post
Your angst is misguided as the people you don't want on the street are not the ones living in the "Free" apts. Regardless of whether you want supportive housing near where you live, the people who live in those supporting housing project must adhere to certain guidelines (i.e sober living, mental health checks) that I would think would be supported by most people living in the area. If you were really concerned about the state of Homelessness in DTLA you would petition your State & Federal legislature on proving more of these types of services around the Los Angeles area. Especially Veterans homelessness which is the most "fixable" solution to your growing ire of living in a place that has had a homeless problem for at least 50 years. Also, I find it Ironic that you would move to a place that was formally skid row and expect it to be completely changed in less than 10 years.
Well said.

Also, this homeless problem is a national problem, not a city problem. Anyone who thinks that arresting everyone is a realistic solution is delusional.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
Well said.

Also, this homeless problem is a national problem, not a city problem. Anyone who thinks that arresting everyone is a realistic solution is delusional.
Seriously - take it to the other thread.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 7:21 PM
Paramoderator

totally off topic, but that photo you took of the parker center is easily my favorite photo of yours. very shulman-esque.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
totally off topic, but that photo you took of the parker center is easily my favorite photo of yours. very shulman-esque.
No this is actually ON topic!

Thank you very much. I take lots of images like this one, they're just usually for clients and I don't post them publicly. This is from a series of shots for the Conservancy.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 8:18 PM
:o

Nevermind. Have fun.

Last edited by Valyrian Steel; Jul 23, 2014 at 6:26 AM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Except for the coloring (black and white can be stunning, can't it?).

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 7:59 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
Except for the coloring (black and white can be stunning, can't it?).
shulman did color too! actually, quite possibly my favorite of his photos is in color:

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 8:46 PM

Quote:
shulman did color too! actually, quite possibly my favorite of his photos is in color:
He was certainly a pivotal man in the LA architectural scene. Most the time I shoot I try and think 'What Would Shulman Do' lol.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 9:32 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post
He was certainly a pivotal man in the LA architectural scene. Most the time I shoot I try and think 'What Would Shulman Do' lol.
If you can find it, Shulman wrote an incredible book called "The Photography of Architecture and Design" which is basically 238 pages of him explaining talking about his techniques for shooting architectural photography. I bought my copy off of Amazon for some ungodly amount, but I'm sure if you look you can find it cheaper.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
If you can find it, Shulman wrote an incredible book called "The Photography of Architecture and Design" which is basically 238 pages of him explaining talking about his techniques for shooting architectural photography. I bought my copy off of Amazon for some ungodly amount, but I'm sure if you look you can find it cheaper.
Nice! I'll check it out.

Here a shot I took of Pico House just a few days ago:

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 5:50 AM

What's the latest rumor on Clifton's Cafeteria reopening? How does it take 3 1/2 years to renovate a cafeteria and why does its reopening have to be such a secret?

I've been wanting to visit DTLA for awhile and have been waiting because I want to visit Clifton's when I do and I keep hearing its only another month or so, so I wait.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar View Post
What's the latest rumor on Clifton's Cafeteria reopening? How does it take 3 1/2 years to renovate a cafeteria and why does its reopening have to be such a secret?

I've been wanting to visit DTLA for awhile and have been waiting because I want to visit Clifton's when I do and I keep hearing its only another month or so, so I wait.
Its one of many projects that have this kind of timeline. Unfortunately with these non-mega-corporate entities (Cliftons is being done by 1 single man), resources get pulled thin and they have to delay and delay... The latest rumor is "OK FOR SURE FOR SURE - THIS FALL!" But who really knows.

Also last I heard they're LEAVING the facade how it is. Going for the grunge / rundown Detroit type look I suppose? This image shows pretty much what it looks like today:

Cliftons by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Down to even leaving the sign out of the project all together (thats the frame to it on the left side of the facade).

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Nice! I'll check it out.

Here a shot I took of Pico House just a few days ago:

Wow. Stunning photo! I have always found this area of Downtown to be so intriguing. Now I see there will soon be apartments built in this neighborhood sitting side by side with the old 19th Century structures. It is also amazing how exterior lights done right can make such a difference (like City Hall all lit up). You captured the Pico House beautifully.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA/OCman View Post
Wow. Stunning photo! I have always found this area of Downtown to be so intriguing. Now I see there will soon be apartments built in this neighborhood sitting side by side with the old 19th Century structures. It is also amazing how exterior lights done right can make such a difference (like City Hall all lit up). You captured the Pico House beautifully.
Thank you!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 2:26 AM

I was goofing off on the internet today and found something rather interesting. The architects who are designing the Herald Examiner project, and the OH project just north of Pershing Square, also have renderings of the project for the 2.5 acre parcel just south of Fig-Central (abutting the Hooters building), which was recently purchased by Jamison and partners. I'm guessing the implication is that they are designing the project. I am not only very disappointed with the Herald Examiner, and the OH designs, I am also very disappointed with this new design. Such prominent (and historic) locations, and yet such mediocre designs. Also something strange, I noticed that the architects Harley Ellis Devereaux's Los Angeles office is in Riverside California. I know the city well since I live about 20 minutes away. It's not a bad town, I kind of like it--it's historic and somewhat suburban. However, its not exactly the big league of design firm locations. Makes you wonder why they located there and not in Los Angeles.

http://www.harleyellisdevereaux.com/...ve/market_rate

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Down to even leaving the sign out of the project all together (thats the frame to it on the left side of the facade).
Since that sign is attached to the neighboring bldg, I was under the impression it has no legal connection to clifton's & therefore has never been used by them in the past. however, I could be wrong, of course. Regardless, for such a rusty old shell to be sitting anywhere around there does ruin the appearance of both cliftons and its neighbors.

I feel bad if Andrew Meieran, by discovering renovation of cliftons is a much tougher task than he originally estimated, is finding his budget stretched to the breaking point. I know he said as much as that several months ago. Not helping matters is that so many business owners, when trying to open a new store or restaurant in dtla, have said that dealing with local govt agencies can take the joy out of anyone's plans.

when you were hinting several days ago that you would soon be posting photos here that would cause a stir in the community....or grab the interest of the local media?....I was wondering if you perhaps had gotten a sneak peek at the inside of cliftons. I guess not, but I'm still always anxious to see another batch of your pics that help give everyone a better idea of what's going on in dtla.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 3:22 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Its one of many projects that have this kind of timeline. Unfortunately with these non-mega-corporate entities (Cliftons is being done by 1 single man), resources get pulled thin and they have to delay and delay... The latest rumor is "OK FOR SURE FOR SURE - THIS FALL!" But who really knows.

Also last I heard they're LEAVING the facade how it is. Going for the grunge / rundown Detroit type look I suppose? This image shows pretty much what it looks like today:

Cliftons by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

The sign isn't a part of Clifton's.

Regarding Parker Center: it should be torn down. Mid century yes but not architecturally significant. It's old, damaged, and outdated.

Neutra's Hall of Record's is one of the best mid century buildings in DTLA. Should be cleaned a bit (though far from filthy).

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 7:37 PM
BANNED

Excellent photos.

Does anyone know why a lot of the retail space is vacant?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
The sign isn't a part of Clifton's.

Regarding Parker Center: it should be torn down. Mid century yes but not architecturally significant. It's old, damaged, and outdated.

Neutra's Hall of Record's is one of the best mid century buildings in DTLA. Should be cleaned a bit (though far from filthy).
But what will replace Parker Center I wonder?

You're right about Cliftons - my mistake about the frame to the left. The Cliftons sign (which was a later addition) was on there right side of the building as seen in this 1936 vs 2012 photo. I firmly believe to do Cliftons right they need to restore the facade 100% & add neon signage though.

Cliftons 1936 & 2012 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
Excellent photos.

Does anyone know why a lot of the retail space is vacant?
Which building are you referring to?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos