HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 4:16 AM

Regent Street Demolition Update--03/12/14

I took a few quick pictures tonight. Sorry they aren't the best quality. The have started assembling a temporary crane next to the Prudential Building. I assume it is to assist with demolition.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 7:10 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I noticed yesterday evening that the Seagull sculpture has been removed from the building.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 7:14 PM

^^^

It's in the atrium of my house.

In Kearns.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 8:08 PM

LOL, Seriously though I wonder where they plan on putting it? Probably the new 111 Tower or the PAC would be a good location as it is a beautiful piece.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
LOL, Seriously though I wonder where they plan on putting it? Probably the new 111 Tower or the PAC would be a good location as it is a beautiful piece.
Church Office Building II?
Temple Rectangle?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 10:15 PM
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Church Office Building II?
Temple Rectangle?

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 10:45 PM

What's the Temple rectangle?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
What's the Temple rectangle?
It's the name I just invented for the blocks of the LDS Church campus downtown. Technically it's a sprawling mishmash of right angles, but I usually just consider the administrative block, Temple Square, and the block-to-the-west-of-Temple-Square-that-I-really-want-them-to-develop-please.

BTW, "Temple Rectangle" is not meant to be disparaging or derogatory in any way. I just thought they could use more seagull statuary and whatnot.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 2:53 AM

Quote:
It's the name I just invented for the blocks of the LDS Church campus downtown. Technically it's a sprawling mishmash of right angles, but I usually just consider the administrative block, Temple Square, and the block-to-the-west-of-Temple-Square-that-I-really-want-them-to-develop-please.

BTW, "Temple Rectangle" is not meant to be disparaging or derogatory in any way. I just thought they could use more seagull statuary and whatnot.
Don't forget the Triad Center, they own the whole block as well. Church won't develop the parking lot until enrollment goes way up at LDS Business College. Up to the point were they can kick everyone out of Triad 5 (KSL building) and Triad 1 (BYU Extension)

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 3:27 AM

Quote:

Ah. That should have been obvious to me. I don't know why it wasn't. I guess I thought it was something only Mormons had access to.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
They took the seagulls weeks ago, and they're supposed to incorporate them into the PAC somewhere, though I'm doubtful that will actually happen. They were supposed to incorporate much of the ornate, barrel-vaulted ceiling of the bank building, too, and they only removed a few moldings before demolishing the rest of it.

Lazy.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 6:05 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionide View Post
They took the seagulls weeks ago, and they're supposed to incorporate them into the PAC somewhere, though I'm doubtful that will actually happen. They were supposed to incorporate much of the ornate, barrel-vaulted ceiling of the bank building, too, and they only removed a few moldings before demolishing the rest of it.

Lazy.
From the meetings I attended, it was always stated that they were going to attempt to find to salvage, and it that was possible, incorporate the barrel vault and the sculpture into the design. Yes it could have been that they were lazy, or it could have been that they really couldn't figure out a way to incorporate it, or maybe it wasn't really salvageable.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
From the meetings I attended, it was always stated that they were going to attempt to find to salvage, and it that was possible, incorporate the barrel vault and the sculpture into the design. Yes it could have been that they were lazy, or it could have been that they really couldn't figure out a way to incorporate it, or maybe it wasn't really salvageable.
They always say "attempt" and "if possible" just to provide themselves some wiggle room in case it becomes more expensive or more work than they'd like. (Which pretty much means any work.)

Believe me, they didn't try that hard.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 6:02 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:

Believe me, they didn't try that hard.
You know this how exactly?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 9:37 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

I'm having fun watching demolition today.. I think they are getting ready to start putting a wrecking ball through the metro... They have a crane set up and there's a bunch of construction guys pointing at the building talking about how they want to do it.

They are poring crap loads of concrete.. In the basement of the desert news... Looks like there's underground tunnels that connect all these buildings around here

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
You know this how exactly?
I work for one of the entities whose logo is on the "coming soon" sign for the PAC. Let's just leave it at that, at least on this public forum; PM me if you'd like clarification.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 8:02 AM

It's not too surprising. As beautiful as the old ceiling was, it didn't fit with the new PAC. The styles were completely different and it would have looked out of place.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 3:13 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
I work for one of the entities whose logo is on the "coming soon" sign for the PAC. Let's just leave it at that, at least on this public forum; PM me if you'd like clarification.
That answered my question. I just wanted to know if it was speculation or if you had actual information. Sounds like the later.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Looks like there's underground tunnels that connect all these buildings around here
Correct. The basement of the Tribune Building, at least, had old coal delivery tunnels that ran from the building to (I believe) under Main Street. The building just south of the Tribune Building had them as well; I only imagine that if the foundations of the buildings north of there were original (possibly the Bennion Jewelers Building) would have them too.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 4:56 AM

Photo Update from this evening.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West