HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 1:47 AM
National Capital Region

Popular vote so far... LIB 35.9% PC 35.6%
FPTP FTL

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 1:58 AM
It's Hammer Time

Wow Liberals could end up with 54 seats, just barely enough for a majority.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 2:15 AM

Come to think of it I shouldn't care if the despot gets elected. I think it will be a positive that McGuinty will drive this province down a one way street towards bankruptcy just in time for the coming depression. Maybe it will wake these sheeple up from their torstar media trance. The only way that might happen is if they loose their unsustainable public pensions. I wouldn't loose sleep if they did

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 2:23 AM

Whether its a Liberal majority or a slight minority, its still a Liberal win. Toronto really came through... The province is saved.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Voted! Andrea Horwath personally called me if I was going to vote.
You voted Liberal, right?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 2:33 AM

To all the Hudak Conservative kids in here, I hope you all look back at this day and admire the fact that Ontario isn't falling back into a Mike Harris hole (which Hudak would have even been worse on given his public stances) that you guys probably can't remember since you were too young to see Ontario crumble under that PC government and fill in subway tunnels on Eglinton and close tons of hospitals.... There is a reason why many of us aren't fond of the Ontario PC. Its recent history is less progressive and more conservative, much like it's federal counterpart. There is no room for progressives in today's PC.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 2:36 AM
It's Hammer Time

All the close races are Liberal and NDP battles.

I think we can say the PC blew it during this election. Go back two months ago and the PC should have had a majority.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon716 View Post
Whether its a Liberal majority or a slight minority, its still a Liberal win. Toronto really came through... The province is saved.
Saved from curbing its debt problem! All thanks to the sheeple libtards! But as I said this will inevitably worsen the effects of the impending depression and hopefully destroy the leech that is the public pension system. Luckily, my business can weather it.
Kudos to everyone who voted green!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 2:45 AM

Yes.. Libtard and Lieberal. So sophisticated indeed. We've heard the childish remarks many times before. The VAT styled HST was the most business friendly tax reform Ontario has had in recent history, if you are a business owner it should be helping you...

I think you have blinders on, Ontario is doing very well given the fact that McGuinty was handed a massive worldwide recession to deal with in the middle of his government. Do you realize Ontario has been creating jobs this past year? No, you're into this Hudak ideology that ignores the worldwide economy just to throw some mud. Conservatives really did lose this election, and thankfully many Ontarians woke up before it was too late.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 3:04 AM

No my business is online. Anyways, as I mentioned I am no fan of the federal conservatives. In fact, I'd go as far to say that Martin was a better PM than Harper. Harper's drunken military spending is despicable. Why does Canada even need armed forces? It borders on libtardation Not to mention the big corporate subsidies and other wasteful spending that could instead be focused on cutting income taxes for everyone.

I love how you instantly write off Hudak as another Harris. Straight from TorStar media.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 3:11 AM
sick transit, gloria

I pretty much discount the argument of anyone (and I mean ANYONE) who would use the word "sheeple" as a talking point.

As an aside the oh so left-wing Globe and Mail endorsed McGuinty. You know, the same paper that endorsed the federal conservatives in the past 3 elections. Torstar media indeed...

Given the situation I really couldn't be happier with the way the election turned out. There are too many valuable programs that would be under threat had the PCs been elected - which of course would end up costing the public in the long run.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post

As an aside the oh so left-wing Globe and Mail endorsed McGuinty. You know, the same paper that endorsed the federal conservatives in the past 3 elections. Torstar media indeed...
Oh, so you think just because I'm right wing I'd be dumb enough to side with a asshole like Harper?

The federal conservatives are a bunch of authoritarian despots They almost struck a deal with the criminal Bell Canada lobbyists to pass a bill that would restrict all ISPs to impose a metered billing system. And of course, they're wasting money on pointless wars abroad and updates to a pointless military force. The list goes on.
Meanwhile, McGuinty is going to increase spending while the province is already running a record deficit. People seem to think this is gung ho but karma will get them or their pensions in the long run.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 3:22 AM

And we see a very noticeable urban/rural divide. The urban vote going Liberal or NDP and the rural vote going PC. There is a further divide with Northern Ontario going almost exclusively Liberal or NDP.

The PCs attempted to use the federal Conservative wedge politics that I loath, and they got what they deserve. Of course, the PCs didn't try to develop a consensus amongst the electorate and the divides that I mentioned are the result.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 3:25 AM
National Capital Region

11:24 PM - 93.8% counted
Seats: LIB 53 (49.5%) PC 37 (34.6%) NDP 17 (15.9%) GRN/OTH 0 (0%)
Votes: LIB 37.5% PC 35% NDP 23.2% GRN 3% OTH 1.3%

Popular vote is close considering Liberals are so close to a majority

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 3:25 AM

Quote:
McGuinty is going to increase spending while the province is already running a record deficit.
Now, how did this come about? Wasn't this because there was an agreement with the federal Conservatives to spend this money for the infrastructure program that does not end until the end of this month?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 3:35 AM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
Oh, so you think just because I'm right wing I'd be dumb enough to side with a asshole like Harper?
I wasn't implying that at all. Just pointing out that a well respected newspaper which is known for being right-leaning (at least in the fiscal sense) endorsed McGuinty, albeit with some reservations. They articulated their reasons quite well, it's worth a read.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 3:43 AM
National Capital Region

CBC - Liberal minority. Going to be interesting.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I wasn't implying that at all. Just pointing out that a well respected newspaper which is known for being right-leaning (at least in the fiscal sense) endorsed McGuinty, albeit with some reservations. They articulated their reasons quite well, it's worth a read.
I generally enjoy Globe and Mail journalism (compared to it's dry and bland National Post counterpart) but I've been swamped with school for the past month so I haven't had the time to keep up with politics.

Nothing against you by the way. Hudak couldn't have run a worse campaign so his loss. Yes, I felt he would have been preferable to McGuinty but ultimately I'm not a strategic voter so I went Green.

I'm just irritated that fiscal conservatism seems to be dead. When you account for provincial debt Canada's debt (almost half of which is McGuinty) to GDP ratio is almost equivalent to that of the United States. It's a bit disturbing how many Canadians are unaware of this one fact.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post

The federal conservatives are a bunch of authoritarian despots They almost struck a deal with the criminal Bell Canada lobbyists to pass a bill that would restrict all ISPs to impose a metered billing system. And of course, they're wasting money on pointless wars abroad and updates to a pointless military force. The list goes on.
Meanwhile, McGuinty is going to increase spending while the province is already running a record deficit. People seem to think this is gung ho but karma will get them or their pensions in the long run.
It is more disturbing that you think any kind of government spending is bad, bad, BAD! Evil dirty government spending... Ontario is making important investments into green energy, health care, education, transit, and other priorities. These aren't bad priorities, even if mistakes do occur.

Just being spiteful at government employees or hating government spending won't create jobs, nor does it provide leadership. That's Hudak's problem. You're just repeating Hudak mudslinging that has no purpose. Its just campaign rhetoric. Making public pensioners out to be the boogeyman is just a caricature.

And my opinions are my own, I have no link with TorStar media or the most popular newspaper in Canada. I've read maybe 5 Star articles in the past two months, FWIW.

BTW, if you're in an online business, what is the profession? Professional scam artist and tax evader? LOL

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 4:39 AM

Looking at the map, it's kind of surprising how it's so divided between urban vs rural. Expected some of that but not for it to be so overwhelming.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario