HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 2:56 PM

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 1:22 AM
America's Mars Rocket

At Providence a new 4 floor Hampton Inn will soon be under construction adjacent to the Springhill Suites at 7 Town Center Dr.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
At Providence a new 4 floor Hampton Inn will soon be under construction adjacent to the Springhill Suites at 7 Town Center Dr.
They are also starting another phase at Providence Place Apartments.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 8:24 PM
America's Mars Rocket

we shall see

During a news conference on Friday morning, Madison County officials said the approval is secured for the Madison County interchange at Zierdt Road/I-565 for access to Town Madison. Construction will begin in 2016 and will be complete in 2017.

The interchange will improve the interstate access for Madison and allow for the new developments at the proposed Madison shopping plaza, Town Madison, and Intergraph Campus sites. City officials said it will also provide an additional interstate access route for Redstone Arsenal commuters using Gate 7 on Zierdt Road and help with backups at Gate 9 on Research Park
WAFF TV

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Here is a link to the article in al.com:

http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf...y_other_i.html

There is a very small lot between the Spring Hill Suites and Town Center Drive and this is where the new Hampton Inn will be built. The building will face the green lawn area where they have the Christmas Trees and the car shows. This lawn area will definitely remain as a public green space for the Village.

Apparently, the Spring Hill Suites and the Homewood Suites have high occupancy numbers or they wouldn't be building a third hotel there. The restaurants should do even more business when the Hampton Inn opens - there is a great synergy there between the hotel guests, office workers and residents which keeps the restaurants and retail businesses going strong.

I had thought that the three acre lot across the street (on the west side of Providence Main) where there is a parking lot would be the location for a hotel. Now, this begs the question of what will be built on it. There has been a for sale sign on it.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 10:56 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Coming downtown
from al.com

Richard Moss, Sherry Wallace and Phil Wendling announced today they will open Pints and Pixels on the third floor of the former Crossroads Music Hall building on 115 Clinton Ave. The 7,500-square-foot arcade bar will operate in the same facility with U.G. White Mercantile, an Athens-based general store that is opening a second location there.
Pints and Pixels will have more than 35 arcade games from the 80s and 90s, 15 pinball machines and televisions time warped to 80s music videos, movies and shows. Local and regional craft brews, bottled beer, mixed drinks and wine will be available.

The business also will serve as a second home to Huntsville's Anaheim Chili, which plans to offer a lunch and dinner menu of chili, hamburgers, hot dogs, wings, sandwiches, salads and desserts.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Coming downtown
from al.com

Richard Moss, Sherry Wallace and Phil Wendling announced today they will open Pints and Pixels on the third floor of the former Crossroads Music Hall building on 115 Clinton Ave. The 7,500-square-foot arcade bar will operate in the same facility with U.G. White Mercantile, an Athens-based general store that is opening a second location there.
Pints and Pixels will have more than 35 arcade games from the 80s and 90s, 15 pinball machines and televisions time warped to 80s music videos, movies and shows. Local and regional craft brews, bottled beer, mixed drinks and wine will be available.

The business also will serve as a second home to Huntsville's Anaheim Chili, which plans to offer a lunch and dinner menu of chili, hamburgers, hot dogs, wings, sandwiches, salads and desserts.

I love this news! I was hoping something would take place at the old Masons bar. I will definitely check this place out. It would be nice for something to go in to those empty spaces across the street from Jefferson St. bar. Has anyone heard if there is a plan for any business to open there? They are prime spots for business, but I can imagine the rent is extremely high.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 8:44 PM

Baumhowers

I heard that Baumhowers is thinking about opening a new HSV location near twickenham square. Does anybody have any info on that?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 1:13 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
I heard that Baumhowers is thinking about opening a new HSV location near twickenham square. Does anybody have any info on that?
Maybe The Avenue which is currently under construction

"Developer Charlie Sealy declined to name the restaurants but did say one is a local concept and the other is from out of town. He said he is in negotiations with a third restaurant.

The Avenue will have 21,000 square feet of ground-floor commercial space, mostly along Jefferson Street, with 197 loft apartments above. There will also be an attached five-story parking garage for Avenue residents, employees and customers.

Sealy said the two committed restaurants and possible third eatery would consume about half of the project's commercial space.

"One of them could be a pretty sizable restaurant," he told AL.com.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 10:27 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Taco Mama will have its second Huntsville location on the ground floor of this hotel

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 4:04 PM

Anyone know what is being built by the Visitor Center on Redstone Gateway? The ground is being prepped for something designated in the "Retail" zone of the gateway. I know a Marriott is under construction down the road. I'm hoping for something food related.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 5:51 PM

Developer sent me this: http://jwamalls.com/wp-content/uploa...-Plan-2015.pdf

First of the 10 or so Retail buildings for the Gateway. Working at the Gateway, most of us are hoping for some sort of coffee shop.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 11:40 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Cabela's opened today to huge crowds.
Asian Rim downtown closed from what some say was due to bad service and management which leads to few customers. Its a shame it was a beautiful restaurant in the Twickenham Square development

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 4:20 PM

I'm sure this question has been asked before and I'll ask it again. I think I've made it known in a previous post of Huntsville's lack of a true high rise building or two. I have found it strange that a city the size of Huntsville not only has a relatively low rise skyline, the downtown area in general is rather small in terms of land use. Could someone explain to me that even though the height restriction in downtown has been removed that there seems to be no effort to at least to think big. I realize that there are projects underway in downtown, one in which to build a ballpark in that area. Every time I drive back from work coming from 72, I look at the downtown and think how small and unurban it is. Am I the only one here that feels this way? I mean the tallest building in the city is barely just under 200 feet in height.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 4:17 AM

I think the two biggest factors are the time period of Huntsville's rapid growth and the type/specialization of its work force. Huntsville really became a good sized city during the height of suburban sprawl. It's just the type of development that was most in demand. The. You have Redstone arsenal and research park as the main employment centers. Most true high rises in mid sized cities are office buildings and that demand isn't there in Huntsville.
My dads company wouldn't let him relocated downtown because they felt his branch should be in research park among the other defense contractors.

I really don't get the want for a skyscraper though. I'd much rather have the type of infill projects we are getting to make the area feel like a more urban walkable city. One 25 story office building in downtown would either struggle for occupants or completely dominate the market and empty out other buildings or the need for any new construction.

That being said I would love in 10 to 20 years have a strong enough demand for some buildings over 10 stories. Along with a design review board so we don't get these pretty awful and bland buildings like twickenham square

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 8:16 PM

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 3:24 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVresident View Post
I'm sure this question has been asked before and I'll ask it again. I think I've made it known in a previous post of Huntsville's lack of a true high rise building or two. I have found it strange that a city the size of Huntsville not only has a relatively low rise skyline, the downtown area in general is rather small in terms of land use. Could someone explain to me that even though the height restriction in downtown has been removed that there seems to be no effort to at least to think big. I realize that there are projects underway in downtown, one in which to build a ballpark in that area. Every time I drive back from work coming from 72, I look at the downtown and think how small and unurban it is. Am I the only one here that feels this way? I mean the tallest building in the city is barely just under 200 feet in height.
Sort of echoing the answers given above, but I absolutely think it has to do with NASA/Redstone Arsenal and Research Park being the largest employers... and those types of buildings are suburban in nature. Huntsville is old, but obviously didn't truly start growing until the '40s/'50s. Birmingham, for instance, is much younger, but its rapid growth occurred in the early 1900s, and many of our oldest and tallest buildings are still from that era.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 1:37 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennhioland View Post
very nice but one of these building needs to be 12 -15 floors to break up the monotonous one level effect.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 9:44 PM

Major Economic Announcement Tommorrow

Any guesses on what this will be? I'm going with new Hyundai plant on Greenbrier.

http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf...art_river_home

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 11:28 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp7123 View Post
Any guesses on what this will be? I'm going with new Hyundai plant on Greenbrier.

http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf...art_river_home
If was truly an announcement that size the governor and everybody else would be here in person don't you think? Instead of live streaming. A project that size would be hard to keep secret..how about Aston Martin?
I'm guessing some contract award or expansion that will result in several hundred jobs over a year or so. But then again it could be a biggie.

on another topic Whole Foods opens November 14 and plans for Madison Square will supposedly be revealed next month as well under the new name..MidCity Huntsville

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast