HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 6:57 AM
surely you're not serious

It is shallow. But you all should read their reports citing this exact depth issue.

I linked it above.

---

Yes, it won't do much in the grand scheme of things, but it will enhance connectivity.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 10:11 PM
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouveau_Mauvilla View Post
A see a ferry as another opportunity for public transportation, another step to help us become less car-dependent down here.
No doubt. Dont get me wrong, I am all for it and I think it would be pretty cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSky View Post
It is shallow. But you all should read their reports citing this exact depth issue.

I linked it above.
Not sure where to start. Cliffs?

Quote:
Yes, it won't do much in the grand scheme of things, but it will enhance connectivity.
Agreed. A city thrives on things you wouldnt immediately think of -- like a ferry service. Enormous projects are cool, but a lot of these "ferry projects" are what adds to a city.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 10:24 PM
Cat Enthusiast

The thing is, many people on the Eastern Shore don't travel to Mobile because they simply view it as too far. Or they think traffic will be bad. You have to realize how pessimistic people are. If there is even the slightest possibility of a hang up on the way, they'll STRONGLY reconsider.

Having these ferries would give people more options. And we all know that more options usually leads to less stress, when speaking about transit. The less stress people see involved with a commute, the more likely they are to travel.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 12:55 AM
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabadrock View Post
The thing is, many people on the Eastern Shore don't travel to Mobile because they simply view it as too far. Or they think traffic will be bad. You have to realize how pessimistic people are. If there is even the slightest possibility of a hang up on the way, they'll STRONGLY reconsider.

Having these ferries would give people more options. And we all know that more options usually leads to less stress, when speaking about transit. The less stress people see involved with a commute, the more likely they are to travel.
Most of the time the actual trip across the water is probably the easiest part of the drive, especially if you go on the Causeway. It's the US 98's and 90's, and their 20 million traffic lights that slow things down. Aint no ferry out yet that's gonna change that.

The ferry will, however, be a of great use for weekend warriors, vacationers, and random sightseers.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 4:54 AM
Cat Enthusiast

More recommendations

Time for more of my epic recommendations!

Tuscaloosa

Keep doing what you're doing. Though, I would definitely try to promote the riverboat cruises more. I've been on one, and though I was in a pep band and didn't get to do much, I enjoyed it. Also, seek investors for tasteful construction along the river and create a boardwalk. The city needs to create another connection to the University other than University Blvd. The downtown renewal is going good and will probably lead to some good construction once the economy picks up.

Also, get the University to get more involved with the high schools in town. If there's one thing that Auburn University woops U of A at, it's the involvement in public education in the city schools.

Hoover

Y'all gotta do something to curb sprawl. Traffic is terrible. You reallllllllly need to embrace some kinda smart growth plan. Other than that, the city does a good job. If they aren't doing a good job, I don't know about it, cause I don't know much about Hoover.

Dothan

Shut up with your griping about wanting the interstate to go downtown instead of going through Slocomb, it's really annoying. Both Panama City, and the rest of the Wiregrass are waiting on you. Also, we need to see some more action in downtown. Get people involved, I don't think I ever read about any cool projects except for that massive Country thing south of town.

Auburn

Getting rid of AU would be nice, but since that isn't possible... You also need to embrace a smart growth plan. The city is growing at a rapid pace, so something needs to be done to regulate how that growth occurs. Other than that, the city does a great job. The University works well with the high school and other schools, which is very attractive for people moving to the state.

Decatur

Get the downtown streetscape projects finished, and also get the Calhoun/Athens State arts college downtown. Embrace the river more. The river is a huge asset to the city, and it doesn't take advantage of it like other cities do. Oh, and work harder on getting 565 extended towards Decatur.

Madison

... no comment?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 5:02 AM
---

Quote:
Time for more of my epic recommendations!

Tuscaloosa

Keep doing what you're doing. Though, I would definitely try to promote the riverboat cruises more. I've been on one, and though I was in a pep band and didn't get to do much, I enjoyed it. Also, seek investors for tasteful construction along the river and create a boardwalk.
Completely agree. I would love it it the city focused on the river. I know it isnt easy to do, but a small collection of restaurants and bars on the river (connected to the riverboat) would be great.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 12:59 PM
WAR EAGLE

1. Increase funding for education....k-12 and universities/colleges. No reason that UAB, Alabama, Auburn and so on should not be ranked higher other than our lack of real support for these schools.
2. Mass transit
3. Do a better job selecting those who represent the state in Washington. This is our big public face......and so far...many of our elected officials reinforce many of the old stereotypes about Alabama. Can we get some new leadership?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 6:40 PM

I sometimes think the level of stress people assume about going across the bay is really overstated. I lived in dowtown Fairhope for a year (2 blocks from the bayfront) and went to visit friends in downtown Mobile all the time. No matter the time of day I usually made it in about 30 minutes which is about right for the distance involved. I'll give that an accident on the Bayway could increase the time, but if you usually just take the Causeway instead it was very rare for you to encounter heavy traffic & the drive is also a bit more scenic... esp. in the early morning.

I like the ferry plans, though. Getting to Gulf Shores is a nightmare no matter where you start your trip. Getting from Robertsdale to Gulf Shores can take longer some days than getting from Point Clear to Mobile. It would be nice if there was another way to get there.

I am a bit curious as to where they would put a terminal in Point Clear as most of the shoreline is taken up by all those beautiful houses or the resort and there's not much point to having a Point Clear terminal if you have one in Fairhope... not much distance and very minimal traffic on scenic 98 between the two. I would hope the ferry would dock at the Fairhope Pier. Love that area. The most amazing sunsets in the world, imo, are in perfect view from it.

Not sure what the links to Fowl River are for... Is there a lot of potential traffic from there to the East Bay? Seems a bit random to me.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 6:59 PM

"The thing is, many people on the Eastern Shore don't travel to Mobile because they simply view it as too far."

Never encountered this... at all... ever. I think it's more a function of those communities already having a facsimile of the things available in Mobile, just like most suburbs. Really why go to Bell Air when you can go to the ESC or to one of the stores in Daphne or Spanish Fort? They still come to Mobile to get the things not available on their side (like decent nightlife) or that are cheaper here.

I agree w/ badrock on the need for another connector to the UA in Tuscaloosa.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 9:24 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I have no doubt that you know what it is actually like to travel between the Eastern Shore and downtown. I even know that it isn't very stressful if you go at the right time of day. What I'm saying is that A LOT of people in Baldwin County are these new growth transplants types, not all of them JUST moved there, but a lot of them still have the same attitude. How I view them is that they view it as a distant location, and thus, don't go.

I have many friends in Spanish Fort, and very rarely do they make it to Mobile, simply because it SEEMS distant.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 11:52 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

^^^ true and it isn`t.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 10:18 PM
amateur urbanite

Quote:
I have no doubt that you know what it is actually like to travel between the Eastern Shore and downtown. I even know that it isn't very stressful if you go at the right time of day. What I'm saying is that A LOT of people in Baldwin County are these new growth transplants types, not all of them JUST moved there, but a lot of them still have the same attitude. How I view them is that they view it as a distant location, and thus, don't go.

I have many friends in Spanish Fort, and very rarely do they make it to Mobile, simply because it SEEMS distant.
I back this 100%. I don't mind going over the bay what-so-ever, but friends of mine almost never venture over unless out of necessity.

Was just thinking about the ferries. Where ever they dock in Gulf Shores needs to focus on becoming a nice, walkable area, its own "downtown" kind of place. Think about going over there without a car- not very pedestrian friendly as a whole. Something to consider.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 7:45 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Ok, I've decided to announce the results of the survey!

I'll list only the top answers.

Here goes:

Q.1 Which of these areas show the most potential for a quick recovery from the recession?

1) Mobile-Bay Area 21 (29.2%)
2) Huntsville-Decatur 21 (29.2%)
3) Birmingham-Central AL 11 (15.3%)
4) Auburn 8 (11.1%)
5) Montgomery 5 (6.9%)

Q.2 Which of these transit methods should be expanded the most?

1) Railways 25 (78.1%)
2) Roadways 4 (12.5%)

Q.3 Which four areas do you expect to experience the most growth between 2010 and 2030?

1) Mobile-Daphne-Fairhope 26 (25.5%)
2) Huntsville-Decatur 23 (22.5%)
3) Auburn-Opelika 16 (15.7%)
4) Birmingham-Hoover 16 (15.7%)

Q.4 Which city do you expect to be the largest (population) by 2030?

1) Birmingham 15 (46.9%)
2) Mobile 8 (25%)
3) Huntsville 7 (21.9%)
4) Montgomery 2 (6.9%)

Q.5 Pick four road projects that you consider the most important.

1) Birmingham-Northern Beltline 16
2) Mobile-Bayway/Mob Riverbridge 14
3) Huntsville-Extend I-565 East 12
4) Birmingham-I-20/59 Big Dig 12

Q.6 Choose 4 areas that would benefit most from advent of a passenger rail corridor.

1) Birmingham-Hoover 29
2) Huntsville-Decatur 28
3) Mobile-Daphne-Fairhope 26
4) Montgomery 22

Q.7 If a passenger rail system were to be constructed, which type of system would be the most successful?

1) 4 Largest Cities Linked Together 13
2) 3 Hubs With Spokes to Regional Urban Areas 9

Q.8 What are Alabama's 4 biggest drawbacks?

1) Education 26
2) Leaders 25
3) Politics 22
4) Transportation 16

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 11:43 AM
Midtown Montgomery

Kinda seems like a popularity contest.

I'm not a believer of Birmingham being the largest city @ 2030. Mobile & Montgomery both have a good chance of catching up.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 3:07 PM

The survey results were interesting. My own guess is that the Huntsville area will lead the growth/recession recovery/largest city population categories.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 4:15 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Well, this isn't a social, monetary, or educational improvement, but it's improvement nonetheless. It's always good to report that fewer people are losing their lives in the state!

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2009/12/...s_fewer_d.html

According to the Birmingham News article, yearly traffic fatalities have dropped by at least 300 since 2006. This is the third year in a row that the state has seen a reduction in the amount of traffic fatalities.

The most notable things that have been done to make the roads safer are the overall quality of the roads, ie: the surfaces have been made much more smooth which allows for greater control over the vehicle and actually as an effect on the efficiency of your car. Also, the "great wall of wire" that I'm sure a lot of us know about in Cullman County has greatly reduced the number of crossover deaths along I-65.

Also, when resurfacing occurs, 2 feet of roadway is added to each lane, something that has been most obvious on the interstates. Can't forget the re striping that the state has also done. Apparently, it helps to actually know where your lane is.

Also, new alliances have been formed between ALDOT, the Department of Public Safety, and the Alabama Trucking Association. Another obvious ones are the blitzes that troopers do on various holidays and during peak travel times.

The Trucking Association has been helping by using truckers to spot drivers who are driving unsafely around 18 wheelers.

The Department of Public Safety also placed 300 troopers on the highways for 24 hours during traffic blitzes.

Also used were cars called "batmobiles" which enable officers to test blood alcohol levels in the field. This has allowed for an increase of 900 DUI arrest this year.

For the past three years in trooper investigated wrecks:

2006: 805
2007: 784
2008: 620
2009: 518

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 2:58 AM

How about an update on the survey. Interesting so far.
Alabama needs to get rid of that ridiculous constitution. Why can't this be done? It seems so simple and yet...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsvillefan View Post
How about an update on the survey. Interesting so far.
Alabama needs to get rid of that ridiculous constitution. Why can't this be done? It seems so simple and yet...
I think most people who understand the situation with the constitution would, and do, support reform. The PARCA held their Annual Meeting this weekend and had a snippet on the constitution.

http://parca.samford.edu/parca2/news...winter2010.pdf
"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans. Aim high in hope and work. Remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die."

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 9:18 PM

I think most people who understand the situation with the constitution would, and do, support reform. The PARCA held their Annual Meeting this weekend and had a snippet on the constitution.

http://parca.samford.edu/parca2/news...winter2010.pdf

36% "no opinion" and 15% "fine the way it is". How can the public be more engaged? This is really important for Alabama and unless the public insists on reform, politicians will continue as usual.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 7:21 PM
Cat Enthusiast

So, today, the Alabama Senate approved the $1 Billion bill for highways, roads, railroads, etc... transit stuff. It's supposed to be taken out of the state's trust fund that gets money from royalties that the state gets from offshore drilling. The bill must still go through the House and then be approved during the general elections in November by the voters.

I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I mean, I'm usually against outrageous spending, but in this case, the money is actually already there and in existence. I think I would be much more supportive of this if we could see a list of things that the legislature wants to do with it. Specifically, I'd like to know how much of the money they want to spend on each thing.

Anyways, what's everyone else think?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast