HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Four World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 5:30 PM

the height is great but the design is lacking

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 5:38 PM
Landmark Restored

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
Oh the view from this restaurant, with the sheer glass wall and glass ceiling... it'll be low-elevation competition for the new Windows on the World in the FT.

Are we sure that's even open to the public? Chances are its a cafeteria for office tenants. I will say that I really like the looks of the base, how it showcases the movement of structure and circulation, only if the tower could capture some of the bases creativity and energy, I'd be happy.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 6:56 PM
BANNED

Looks like ALL of the towers will have one or two restaurants in them - private and public.

I especially would like to have lunch in the one that's planned for the Freedom Tower.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 7:54 PM
low-riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
Offer it to them. I'm serious. Write a formal letter to someone up there, and make sure you know how exactly you're gonna do it.
Yea, but its too late in the game. I have the production company and equipment but it would take a solid month just to set up an appropriate proposal. Too much has happened, I would have loved to get it from the beginning

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 9:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by STERNyc View Post
Are we sure that's even open to the public? Chances are its a cafeteria for office tenants. I will say that I really like the looks of the base, how it showcases the movement of structure and circulation, only if the tower could capture some of the bases creativity and energy, I'd be happy.
That's open to the public. They put the office lobby on the Greenwich Street side to keep the retail front away from the memorial...

Here's the office lobby on Greenwich...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 9:47 PM
Ascension

This is turning into my favorite tower in the new WTC. It shows that you don't have to have too much of anything to build a really great building and Tower 4 proves that.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
Yea, but its too late in the game. I have the production company and equipment but it would take a solid month just to set up an appropriate proposal. Too much has happened, I would have loved to get it from the beginning
Go for it anyway. The construction stage is, in many ways, barely beginning, try to jump on that. The worst thing that can happen is they'll reject it - which is what will happen anyway if you don't try at all.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 10:09 PM
Landmark Restored

In my opinion the tower portion is very similar to 535 Madison Avenue, a most unremarkable tower built in midtown in 1982.

http://www.skyscrapers.com/en/wm/bu/...&button=Search

Among other factors, the level of architectural standards and expectations today, the height and size of this building, and the importance of its location, a rehash of an otherwise insignificant tower from 1982 is unacceptable. Arguably Maki's tower will have a nicer fascade.

Last edited by STERNyc; May 3, 2007 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 10:32 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Eh? Maki's tower is hardly a rehash of that tower...if it's even related to anythnig it's closer to that buildingon Wacker by Helmut Jahn in Chicago...which it really isn't. Come on, the only similarity those two buildings have in common are the chink in the corner, which isn't even the same as 535 Madison.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 11:24 PM
Landmark Restored

"In my opinion"

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 12:22 PM
New Yorker for life

I think these two make a nice couple. Opposites attract...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 1:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 12:04 PM
New Yorker for life

A composite of the new WTC...even Freedom is looking great...

http://nucnuc.blog.lemonde.fr/2006/09/

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I think these two make a nice couple. Opposites attract...

damn - look at the top 4 floors of Maki there - reckon there's really gonna be a clear 4 storeys of space at the top there? Or is that likely to end up as mechanical floors?

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 8:26 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Like the other towers, it hides mechanical space.

wtc.com

150 GREENWICH STREET[
MAKI AND ASSOCIATES
ARCHITECTURAL FACT SHEET - SEPTEMBER 2006

SITE INFORMATION
150 Greenwich Street (Tower 4) is located on the site bounded by Greenwich Street to the west, Church Street to the east, Cortlandt Street to the north and Liberty Street to the south. The tower directly faces the Memorial Park to the west.

PROGRAM
150 Greenwich Street, a 61-story tower, will be the fourth tallest skyscraper on the World Trade Center site at 947 ft from street level. With offices beginning at 139 ft above street level, the building will include 53 office floors that total 1.8 million sq ft. Two thirds of the office space will be occupied by the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey and City of New York, and the rest will be retained by Silverstein Properties for commercial tenants.

The podium of the building consists of the ground floor as well as three additional levels above grade and two floors below grade that are dedicated for retail use - a total of 146,000 sq ft (of which 89,000 sq ft is at or above street level). The project provides access to the transportation and retail concourse below grade connected to the central PATH terminal.

The tower portion accommodates office spaces in two distinctly shaped floor plates. The low and mid-rise sections on floors 7 through 44 provide a typical floor plate size of 36,350 sq ft in the shape of a parallelogram echoing the configuration of the site. These are served by three elevator banks with eight cars each. The high-rise section from floors 46 to 60 provides a floor plate size of 28,000 sq ft in the shape of a trapezoid, shaped and fluted to open toward the tip of Manhattan and triangulated from the lower floors to face the Freedom Tower. These are served by two elevator banks with eight and six cars respectively. Both office floor plans contain a central core with a 45-foot lease span on the west side facing the Memorial, 40-foot span on the north and south and a 35-foot span on the east side. The tower will also include five levels of mechanical floors.

DESIGN CONCEPT
The fundamental approach to 150 Greenwich Street, designed by Maki and Associates, is two-fold - a "minimalist" tower that achieves an appropriate presence, quiet with dignity, on a site facing the Memorial and a "podium" that becomes a catalyst in activating and enlivening the immediate urban environment as part of the redevelopment efforts of Downtown New York.

The facades are clad in floor to ceiling windows that sandwich perforated meshed metal material at the spandrel areas and portions immediately below the ceiling to provide shading on the interior and a certain lightness and transparency on the exterior. The tower embraces an abstract quality - minimal, light, cool in color and ephemeral, changing with the light of day. Seen from a distance, the tower presents a unique angular profile at the crown acknowledging the spiral composition formed by the group of four towers, in keeping with the World Trade Center Master Plan.

The two obtuse edges of the tower on the southwest and northeast corners are articulated with dramatic indentations to appear slender and sharp. Inside, a single edge forms two offices with a window from the open office to allow for uninterrupted views at the corner tip of the floor.

The office lobby, with a 47-foot ceiling height, faces Greenwich Street with three entrances - on Cortland, Liberty and Greenwich Streets. The formal composition is symmetrical and the lobby itself offers panoramic views of the Memorial Park. Facing Church Street is an 85-foot atrium offering a new dynamic urban experience by amalgamating the Transit Hall and retail into a single, identifiable whole featuring multiple cascading floors that will enliven the street and become a symbolic feature of a revitalized World Trade Center. The atrium space weaves its way into the base of the tower to provide retail space and perhaps a restaurant that faces the Memorial Park.

The four corners of the building site are all at varying topographical elevations resulting in a 13-foot level difference from the high point on the corner of Church and Cortlandt Streets to the lowest point on the corner of Greenwich and Liberty Streets diagonally across. As a result, the street fronts at ground level on all four sides are on an incline and the interior levels are required to mitigate the level differences to achieve comfortable entry points as well as harmonious spatial relationships with the surrounding pedestrian environment.

The podium of the building from floors 1 to 3 are designed in response to the variety of characters inherent in each of the streets and to further enrich the pedestrian experience. The building is set back from all corners, creating an expanded public area along the sidewalk in the form of a small entry plaza. Each corner is provided with an entrance to either the office lobby or access to retail and the Transit Hall.

BUILDING SYSTEMS
Among many building enhancements, the tower has a reinforced concrete core and columns with steel girders and beams. Safety systems exceed New York City building code and Port Authority requirements. Designed to the highest energy efficiency ratings, 150 Greenwich Street will seek to achieve the gold standard under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) by the US Green Building Council.

PROJECT SCHEDULE
150 Greenwich Street is expected to be completed by 2011 - or four years after the site is made available to Silverstein Properties.

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 8:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cur_sed View Post
damn - look at the top 4 floors of Maki there - reckon there's really gonna be a clear 4 storeys of space at the top there? Or is that likely to end up as mechanical floors?

You get a better idea how it hides mechanical space here:

The same from Tower 3:

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I didn't know the top of Maki's tower was pointy.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 1:54 AM
Frigidus Maximus

That's the pointy profile of 2 WTC behind the shorter profile of 3 WTC. Maki's 4 WTC is in the bottom half of this picture as the light colored structure - emphasizing just how much larger 2 and 3 WTC's are than the quite huge 4 WTC. The New World Trade Center is indeed a big project.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 2:33 AM

Thanks. Now I just feel stupid.

I guess it was just wishful thinking on my part that Maki's tower wouldn't be entirely flat-topped.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 5:32 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Thanks. Now I just feel stupid.
LOL

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive