HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Penn Center for Advanced Cellular Therapeutics in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 1:35 AM

Got even more lost in the building this morning via the staff entrance. I thought I would be clever and go to a farther service elevator hoping that it may come up into the main Atrium. Nope not at all, I couldn't get anywhere on the 1st floor, 4th floor, or 3rd floor. Ended up having to back down and back over the elevators near the station again LOL. OMFG what a lousy design inside. All the walls are this off-white stained-looking crap in the back "service" AKA employee back hallways. Already banged up, etc. - depressing considering how young the building is.

Ok seriously though, this expansion needs to finish so Penn Tower can come down. I was up on 21 again, early for a meeting so I sat at this little table near the glass outcropping that overlooks the helicopter pad and much of the new construction (Lancaster, 3601 Market, new Penn quad, etc.) and it was too cold to take my jacket off. Then a woman volunteered that it was 57 degrees. So I asked if she meant over by the windows where I was? and she looked at something on her desk and said "No, over in my cube. It's 57 degrees."...

Then I went into a conference room where the thermostat was off the scale, on the low end. Then someone comes into the meeting saying that he has exciting news, they fixed the Air Conditioning in his office. It's no longer blowing ice air so his office that was 53 degrees is now 54 degrees. It was pretty crazy considering the positions of some of the staff that are on that floor. No wonder they are moving more of them out in 2 weeks.

Cheers,
G.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarCastle View Post
Got even more lost in the building this morning via the staff entrance. I thought I would be clever and go to a farther service elevator hoping that it may come up into the main Atrium. Nope not at all, I couldn't get anywhere on the 1st floor, 4th floor, or 3rd floor. Ended up having to back down and back over the elevators near the station again LOL. OMFG what a lousy design inside. All the walls are this off-white stained-looking crap in the back "service" AKA employee back hallways. Already banged up, etc. - depressing considering how young the building is.

Ok seriously though, this expansion needs to finish so Penn Tower can come down. I was up on 21 again, early for a meeting so I sat at this little table near the glass outcropping that overlooks the helicopter pad and much of the new construction (Lancaster, 3601 Market, new Penn quad, etc.) and it was too cold to take my jacket off. Then a woman volunteered that it was 57 degrees. So I asked if she meant over by the windows where I was? and she looked at something on her desk and said "No, over in my cube. It's 57 degrees."...

Then I went into a conference room where the thermostat was off the scale, on the low end. Then someone comes into the meeting saying that he has exciting news, they fixed the Air Conditioning in his office. It's no longer blowing ice air so his office that was 53 degrees is now 54 degrees. It was pretty crazy considering the positions of some of the staff that are on that floor. No wonder they are moving more of them out in 2 weeks.

Cheers,
G.
You really have to visit when its raining out If you get a chance and can sneak out where the service elevators are, head to the staircase to the roof. Some of the best views.

By the way, i don't know if you saw but Demolition seems to have been push back to Feb. 2016. and Floor 14 is leaving the same time 21 is.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 1:02 PM

11/22/14

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 6:24 PM

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 1:51 AM

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 4:30 PM

This thread still doesn't show up in the Philadelphia section. Request to move/tag it please.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 10:11 PM

JMEC 5th Fl Interior

Some interior shots (sorry for the quality, it was snowing outside which reduced the ambient light). 5th/6th floor of JMEC. These floors are the main floors being used by the Perelman School of Medicine.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 4:22 PM

Thanks for the shots. Looks institutional-y!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:29 PM

Nice interior photos! Is the building confusing on the inside?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Nice interior photos! Is the building confusing on the inside?
Surprisingly it's not. The open layout (which you can't appreciate fully from the photos) doesn't just make the place bright. It also means there are only a handful of corridors and the rooms are organized in a thoughtful way.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 5:22 AM

View of the construction from the new 3737 Chestnut apartment tower

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 9:15 PM

2/9/2015

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 6:52 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Changed the name of this project based on this press release:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Not much (anything?) on this forum on Penn's Center for Advanced Cellular Therapeutics

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_.../2014/09/cact/

I pass this most everyday to get on 76, and construction seems to be taking forever. I'll be glad to see it finished.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Changed the name of this project based on this press release:
Well that's not really the name at all, I don't think the whole tower actually has a single name. The bottom third is the South Pavillon Expansion or SPE. The middle third is the Jordan Medical Education Center (or however it's said) but also includes physician offices - it's mixed? Then the top part includes the floor with the therapeutics but other floors as well. I'm not even sure I'm getting all that straight LOL.

Cheers,
G.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Well that's not really the name at all, I don't think the whole tower actually has a single name. The bottom third is the South Pavillon Expansion or SPE. The middle third is the Jordan Medical Education Center (or however it's said) but also includes physician offices - it's mixed? Then the top part includes the floor with the therapeutics but other floors as well. I'm not even sure I'm getting all that straight LOL.

Cheers,
G.
It's usage is as confusing and arcane as it's design. Ironic.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
It's usage is as confusing and arcane as it's design. Ironic.
Yeah, I can't defend their design decisions, it's just baffling. Despite some of the "campus" buildings getting nice designs, the health system always seems to be a bit more institutional. At least the Presby trauma center has some interest to it.

I just hope leadership doesn't decide to dole out another whopping 2% raise (sometimes delayed by months) while spending hundreds of millions a year on buildings.

Cheers,
G.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I can't defend their design decisions, it's just baffling. Despite some of the "campus" buildings getting nice designs, the health system always seems to be a bit more institutional. At least the Presby trauma center has some interest to it.

I just hope leadership doesn't decide to dole out another whopping 2% raise (sometimes delayed by months) while spending hundreds of millions a year on buildings.

Cheers,
G.
Hopefully all that will be changing with Norman Foster in the picture and the 1.5 billion he has to work with.

I would leave the name at Perelman Center for Advance Medicine or PCAM, as its really just an addition and not a separate building.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 10:09 PM

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 12:54 AM

And 13 days until the Penn Tower garage is closed! Hopefully construction (and de-construction) crews can keep on working around the horseshoe of Perelman.

Cheers,
G.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 6:47 PM

3/3/2015

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive