HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 1:26 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

The Titan Arum Blooms: Alberta Election on May 5th

Today's the day.

Alberta Votes 2015: Jim Prentice expected to call election today

Premier to make 'major announcement' at 10:30 a.m

Quote:
Last week, Premier Jim Prentice was asked once again what reporters have been asking for months: When would Albertans go to the polls?

"Well, I think we should all enjoy the Easter weekend," he quipped.

The months of speculation should finally end today, when Prentice is scheduled to appear at 10:30 a.m. MT at the Crestwood Community Hall in Edmonton to make a "major announcement," expected to be the long-awaited election call.

A standard 28-day campaign would send Albertans to the polls as early as May 5.

Last edited by Xelebes; Apr 7, 2015 at 7:00 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 4:05 AM
ARTchitecture

Election's on! How do I register to vote?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 5:17 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Did you do your taxes?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 5:46 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Did you do your taxes?
Even if he did that does not automatically register you to vote, and I think that is at the federal level only anyhow.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Even if he did that does not automatically register you to vote, and I think that is at the federal level only anyhow.
It does, but in a roundabout way that wouldn't be fast enough for this spring's voters list. Unless the federal government is much better at maintaining the voters list than they used to be.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 5:18 AM
ARTchitecture

Still waiting for former employer to send my T4.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 1:55 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Still waiting for former employer to send my T4.
You should have had that over a month ago.

Here's how to register:

https://www.voterlink.ab.ca/
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 2:42 AM
ARTchitecture

Thanks guys! This will be my first time voting!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 5:42 PM

2015 Alberta Election

Just thought that this would be of interest of all of Canada since Alberta is currently in a Provincial election and there appears to be huge cracks in the conservatives armor. If there is a change in the Provincial Government in Alberta, I believe it may have ramifications on the Federal scene as well hence why I thought to start the thread in the Canada section.

308 notes the most recent polls have the NDP and the PC in a dead heat with the WR in front.
http://www.threehundredeight.com

It appears from their polling that 42% of Edmonton decided voters are voting NDP provincially, which would give them most of the seats in the Capital. If they are able to grow this base and there are vote splits on the right they may get more seats in other parts of the province.

The WR looks like it is back to where it was. Looks like the plans for many of the MLA's to leave and join the PC's may look bad.

Interesting times for Canada's longest ever political party in power.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 5:47 PM
Fake News

The most we can hope for is a PC minority. Even that would be an improvement though.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 5:53 PM
BANNED

I was all excited for the Alberta Erection, dyslexia failing me again.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 5:59 PM
Fake News

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 6:09 PM

If Prentice had proposed a provincial sales tax in his budget, I could see a need to go to the voters for a fresh mandate. Failing that, the timing just looks like opportunism. If I were an Alberta voter, I'd be cheesed off about it, but I don't know that it would affect my voting intention at the end of the day.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 8:59 PM

Unless it is a federal election, election threads stay in their respective subforums. The ontario election last summer was in the Ontario section, no reason this one shouldn't be.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Unless it is a federal election, election threads stay in their respective subforums. The ontario election last summer was in the Ontario section, no reason this one shouldn't be.
Well in my estimation due to the election being so close to the Federal Election which will be by October at the latest, it may have a direct impact on the federal scene. Especially when you have the federal and provincial governing party both being conservatives (Alberta is the only large province where this is the case). The results may totally change the federal landscape. If the cons cant hold "Fortress Alberta", then how does this change their platforms or voting intentions on the Federal scene.

Plus in the Ontario election, there did not appear to be a significant shift in voters that may happen. Think about this, the Alberta PC's have the record for the longest a party has governed in Canada, basically its been almost 50 years of Alberta conservatives in power. That is monumental if it goes, and if Wynne lost it would not have been as impactful in that sense. Not to mention the NDP currently in a dead heat with them in Alberta. If someone told you the cons won power in Ontario or the Liberals won, either is not a shock. But if someone said last year to most Canadians, in Alberta the NDP is polling ahead of the Cons, they would say you are insane. So in this manner it is a significant shift for politics in this country and of national impact.

I think the only other recent provincial election that would impact the federal scene in the same manner (assuming current Alberta polling is correct) is the Quebec election due to the PQ separatist talk (well that is much bigger impact nationally) and the implosion of the party after PKP introduction.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big W View Post
Well in my estimation due to the election being so close to the Federal Election which will be by October at the latest, it may have a direct impact on the federal scene. Especially when you have the federal and provincial governing party both being conservatives (Alberta is the only large province where this is the case). The results may totally change the federal landscape. If the cons cant hold "Fortress Alberta", then how does this change their platforms or voting intentions on the Federal scene.

Plus in the Ontario election, there did not appear to be a significant shift in voters that may happen. Think about this, the Alberta PC's have the record for the longest a party has governed in Canada, basically its been almost 50 years of Alberta conservatives in power. That is monumental if it goes, and if Wynne lost it would not have been as impactful in that sense. Not to mention the NDP currently in a dead heat with them in Alberta. If someone told you the cons won power in Ontario or the Liberals won, either is not a shock. But if someone said last year to most Canadians, in Alberta the NDP is polling ahead of the Cons, they would say you are insane. So in this manner it is a significant shift for politics in this country and of national impact.

I think the only other recent provincial election that would impact the federal scene in the same manner (assuming current Alberta polling is correct) is the Quebec election due to the PQ separatist talk (well that is much bigger impact nationally) and the implosion of the party after PKP introduction.
I honestly have trouble seeing the Alberta election as having national impact unless Albertans desert the Conservatives in droves and decide to do so at the federal as well as the provincial level. In that sense, hell freezing over could also have a national impact!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I honestly have trouble seeing the Alberta election as having national impact unless Albertans desert the Conservatives in droves and decide to do so at the federal as well as the provincial level. In that sense, hell freezing over could also have a national impact!
I agree, but current polling is placing the NDP in a dead heat with the PC's and the NDP is polling at 42% in Edmonton. Will this last who knows but I believe that these numbers are indicating a shift is happening and it will impact things. Remember many Albertans on this forum kept saying we are not as conservative as you think, everyone outside Alberta could not accept this very idea and this was very recent. Well if the PC's continue to stumble, and the NDP continue to grow and take a significant amount of seats, then that would be national news that would shock most Canadians if the Conservatives even fall to minority status. (Alberta has never had a minority government). I think a shift is happening that will have a huge impact on the federal scene. Think about this, if Alberta is shifting, what does this do to Harper for the Federal elections later on this year?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I honestly have trouble seeing the Alberta election as having national impact
If the Alberta Separatist Party ends up forming a majority government, the election will have had some national impact. "Unlikely" doesn't begin to describe this, though.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big W View Post

I could make some similar argument on that the Ontario election was indicative of how the ever important 905 ridings may vote in the federal election and whether they are still receptive to the liberal brand.

It doesn't matter, it is a provincial election and thus should be located in the provincial subforum. Most people do not want to be spammed with posts about an election 2,000km away with little likely importance to them whatsoever.

If the election does end up showing some huge shift, the articles detailing that such event when it occurs can be posted in the relevant federal politics thread. Until then, this should be relegated to its respective subforum.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 11:41 PM
Look at me!

Let's talk about Alberta. Just this time. It should be fun. It's Canada's only one-party system, let's see if it can change this time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia