HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 7:54 PM

Access to the Rockies

I went to Jasper last weekend and realized a couple of things. First, it's among the most beautiful places in the world that I have seen. I grew up in Edmonton and have been to Jasper many times and I have certainly taken it for granted. But this time, I really explored all it had to offer during the winter. The second thing I realized is that it is just far enough away that makes difficult to visit more frequently.
In the fall I drove to Victoria and instead of going through Jasper or Banff, I went through Rocky Mountain House and Nordegg then met up with Hwy 93 which took about the same amount of time to reach the mountains as it does to drive to Jasper. If to draw a straight line from downtown Edmonton to the closest point of the Rockies is 219 km. There is also a valley from Saskatchewan River Crossing to Golden BC - so a highway could cut off about 2 hours of driving time to the coast and about an hour to an hour and a half to the mountains. So instead of a 3.5 hour drive, it could be two hours. Possibly, an hour's drive outside of Edmonton, it would be possible to see the mountains. It costs about 4 million/km to construct a 4 lane divided highway. 220 km is $880 million. Lets say a $1.4 Billion given the low CDN dollar. Make it a toll road - it would pay for itself over 20 - 25 years.
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 8:21 PM

Howse Pass between Saskatchewan Crossing and Golden was considered for the CPR before opting for the Kicking Horse Pass. It would be an easy pass for a highway, but likely won't happen.

As for access to the Rockies, an improved Yellowhead Hwy would do wonders. Twin all the way to the BC border, pass-thru lane at Jasper National Park gate, bypasses around Hinton and Edson, reduce the number of access roads.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 6:59 PM
HVAC guru

I'd settle for a bypass and twinning through the park... I'd love to be able to get to the Cariboo faster, would make our cottage a lot more accessible. Once you're at Tete Jaune it's a pretty clear run to Kamloops

It's about 8 hours to Kamloops in moderate traffic via 16/5, it takes about 9 hours via the TCH. If you could get through from Sak. crossing to Golden (I think you'd end up coming out about 20k west of there, at Blaeberry) you could probably lob 2 hours of the drive, so really you're only gaining an hour.

I've done a lot of back road travel on FSR's and Hydro roads.. Have tried to find a route over the Rockies.. Somehow.. To access 23 on the east side of Kinbasket. None of my maps show anything.. Getting through there could be challenging

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper and one o nin View Post
I went through Rocky Mountain House and Nordegg then met up with Hwy 93...
This is one of my favorite highways to take. Amazing scenery, and light traffic (motorhomes and big trailers are conspicuously absent even during the busy summer "road trip" season).

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 4:20 AM

Some folks in Central Alberta keep pushing a new highway from Saskatchewan Crossing to Golden via Howse Pass. Because it will single-handedly save the central Albertan economy, dammit!

http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news/...162162185.html

http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news/...162303386.html

YouTube video
Video Link

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 7:07 AM

Not happening for the foreseeable future unless it's private sector 100% funded design build maintain TOLL with share of revenues to Parks Canada, BC and Alberta. Christy Crunch and Eco friends not likely to support it anyway.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 3:54 PM
Community Guy

If you want to take that route, just get a helicopter.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 4:33 PM

Never gonna happen.

The ruckus raised over the Icefields skywalk would pale compared to a highway through Howse Pass.

And the skywalk ruckus was pretty durn ruckusy!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 5:31 PM

High speed rail line from YEG to Jasper... how many billions would that be?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 6:06 PM

I am back in Jasper again tomorrow for the day.

Do the drive to Jasper quite a bit and agree that bypasses at Hinton and Edson should be considered. As well a gate bypass for pass holders is a must. This would only shave 15-25 minutes off the drive.

Twinning through the park has been discussed quite a few times. However the PAWS group would fight it.

You could do the drive from YEG to Jasper townsite in 3 hours if all the slowdowns are removed. Most days I can do the drive in just over 3.5 hours. Not a tough drive but the tourist parking in the middle of the highway to watch wildlife is the only real issue. I will clock the total drive time tomorrow with stops and get back to you. I may even hook up the Garmin Camera.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 8:34 PM
HVAC guru

I'd love bypasses around Hinton & Edson, but I'd take a thru lane at both east and west gates, that's where I seem to get held up the most

I clock almost exactly 3 hours from my house to the east gate (with the cruise set to just over 120 and the usual slowdowns at Edson, Hinton and the east gate) and 50 minutes past that to the west gate, although that time fluctuates wildly depending on what day I'm travelling. I'd prefer a twinned highway through the park but we all know that's never going to happen

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 9:44 PM

Banff-Calgary passenger rail coming back?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...gary-1.3445936

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 10:36 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
It's been forever since I've driven to Jasper and even longer since I've seen the west side of the park, but what a fail if there are not through lanes at each gate. I'm actually stunned there are not, that needs to get fixed ASAP.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Banff-Calgary passenger rail coming back?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...gary-1.3445936
You'd think if there was a business case to be made, the existing Rocky Mountaineer run (which begins in Calgary) would jump all over it.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 8:48 PM

So the drive today. Pulled onto the Henday at St Albert trail @6:30 am. Pulled up at the front doors at JPL at 9:51. 12 min stop in Edson for a fill up and a drop. Traffic was normal and no wild life. Drive through the park wax at 94 kph.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 2:39 PM
DRINK

I've been to Jasper maybe twice in the last 10 years and Canmore/Banff probably 30-40 times.

I'd much rather spend my money supporting Jasper, it should be Edmonton's mountain town. It's not having to slow down through Edson or Hinton, or the lack of a divided highway that prevents me from going. It's the superiority of skiing and golfing options in Canmore that keep me going back. Jasper needs a Canmore, something on the boundary of the park where development can occur.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
I've been to Jasper maybe twice in the last 10 years and Canmore/Banff probably 30-40 times.

I'd much rather spend my money supporting Jasper, it should be Edmonton's mountain town. It's not having to slow down through Edson or Hinton, or the lack of a divided highway that prevents me from going. It's the superiority of skiing and golfing options in Canmore that keep me going back. Jasper needs a Canmore, something on the boundary of the park where development can occur.
Hinton is Jaspers Cannore. It's just not quaint and charming and the logging ops does not help. And Canmore benefited by the Prv Goverment building Kananaskis and Hinton and Edmonton got bugger all. The planning of ski resorts in the Eastern Rockies with Hinton as a base and upgrading the airport is a billion dollar spend - maybe a P3 would be feasible.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 3:42 PM
HVAC guru

Canmore/ Kananaskis also benefits from having Nakiska and hopefully one day again Fortress close by. Not sure if there's an opportunity to develop a ski hill on the Hinton side of the park

Also a plus for Canmore, the Calgary airport an hour away. We've got friends with places in Canmore, they fly into YYC and take the shuttle out. That gets a lot less convenient up here

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 4:14 PM

Weren't there plans for a northern version of Kananaskis until the 80s bust killed it?

Hinton could be Jasper's Canmore, it can be both a tourist trap and an industry town as per many BC towns. Switzer Provincial Park is north of Hinton, which could be a site for some world-class recreational facilities. Question is, are there any mountains east of the national park boundary near Hwys 16 or 40 suitable for skiing?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 10:00 PM
Urban Advocate

I just don't think there is the population draw to make another hill near Jasper viable. Banff/Kaninaskis has Calgary/Edmonton/Tourists, where as Jasper has Edmonton.

As for Fortress, I think I'll pass on 70km/hr winds and sheets of ice to ski on thanks.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton