HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 6:46 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Can someone post a link to backup the claim about Earl's switching beef suppliers? I will for sure voice my concern directly to them but need to know this is legit. Thx

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 7:59 PM

https://earls.ca/

Between Earls and A&W, this is a disturbing trend for Canadian ranchers. Pleased with the intent but not so much (pardon the pun) with the execution.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 8:15 PM

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...ed-humane-beef

I've already voiced my (negative) opinion to them about the switch

www.earls.ca/feedback

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 8:46 PM
Urban Advocate

It's a cost issue, plain and simple. The article says their current provider could offer the humane product, but not in the quantities desired. The reality is they are looking for a sole source at a cheaper price.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_business View Post
It's a cost issue, plain and simple. The article says their current provider could offer the humane product, but not in the quantities desired. The reality is they are looking for a sole source at a cheaper price.
...and found it in Kansas. Fuck Earle's...and all of the Fuller operations. I won't be spending a dime there. As an aside I looked at the humane website they are involved with...and they do show an Alberta distributor of beef- an American owned one peddling US beef here. I am no farm boy - just a Edmonton boy that has always supported our Alberta farmers and its going to stay that way.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 3:16 AM

More reactions
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/alber...397/story.html

I haven't been to an Earls in ages so I don't really have a chicken in this fight, but I have to ask why is the Canadian cattle industry behind on the Certified Humane thing?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 1:39 PM
Community Guy

Beef Vindaloo at Devaney's was actually quite delicious.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 5:47 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
More reactions
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/alber...397/story.html

I haven't been to an Earls in ages so I don't really have a chicken in this fight, but I have to ask why is the Canadian cattle industry behind on the Certified Humane thing?
That'd be my question as well.

We're quick to criticize other industries (taxi) for not innovating and have little sympathy when they fall behind the curve, I don't see anything different here.

No one is saying that the AB industry is not ethical as it can be, but there are obviously producers who have taken the extra step and made the investments in the certification process to be able to go to market with their certified "ethical" product

I haven't been to an Earl's in years.. Probably three summers ago while in Vernon and they were the only place that us and my parents could get into without a reservation. I give the chain a solid C. I think it used to be a lot better

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 5:54 PM
HVAC guru

We rarely go out for a steak dinner anymore anyways. I get my beef from a top quality local producer and I can prepare it on my grill at home in my back yard better than any steak house in the city, at a fraction of the cost.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 7:27 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Well so much for Earl's as an eating option for me now.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 11:49 PM

I went to Khazana Indian restaurant on 107 street today. What a surprise! I've walked past the place many times and it looks boarded up...no menu on the front, impossible to see inside, wasn't sure it was even open for business. Then I walk inside and it's this beautiful restaurant with wooden ceilings, fireplaces, etc. They could do a better job on their street front, that's for sure. This isn't the first time I've had this experience in Edmonton: of walking down a deserted street, opening the door of a by-all-appearances derelict building, and then finding a lively restaurant filled with people inside. Sofra comes to mind here too. Wish there was a way for these restaurants to open up to the street a little more!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanroo View Post
I went to Khazana Indian restaurant on 107 street today. What a surprise! I've walked past the place many times and it looks boarded up...no menu on the front, impossible to see inside, wasn't sure it was even open for business. Then I walk inside and it's this beautiful restaurant with wooden ceilings, fireplaces, etc. They could do a better job on their street front, that's for sure. This isn't the first time I've had this experience in Edmonton: of walking down a deserted street, opening the door of a by-all-appearances derelict building, and then finding a lively restaurant filled with people inside. Sofra comes to mind here too. Wish there was a way for these restaurants to open up to the street a little more!
They need an architect or ID to approach them with an offer of reimagination.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
We rarely go out for a steak dinner anymore anyways. I get my beef from a top quality local producer and I can prepare it on my grill at home in my back yard better than any steak house in the city, at a fraction of the cost.

Exactly....we do the same.

We are doing steaks and King crab legs Sat. This will beat any steak in town...in my humble opinion

Especially Earls.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 5:45 AM

Khazana has really nice upscale decor, unfortunately I don't think the food deserves such splendid surroundings, especially not at their prices. There's better Indian places to go to.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 5:01 PM
Urban Advocate

Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 9:33 PM

I don't see why the outrage on Earls. I find their food it overpriced and bland for the most part and not something I would go eat. In fact I have not gone there in years. But saying all that we must remember this fact

I believe Earls is moving in this direction probably due to the demands of their consumers. If their customers are demanding this (think A & W has gone this way as well with all their meat products, and McDonalds is going for cage free eggs etc) then they will serve their customer base and they are meeting the demands of the consumer in the cheapest way possible. We in Alberta cannot meet their demands so they are going to where they can.

What we really should be concerned about is that this movement by consumers to more hormone free, anti biotic free etc cattle/ hogs/ chicken has been happening for a while and why is our beef industry in Alberta falling behind. We should get ahead of the game, if this is the way the market is going we need to be ahead not fall behind. I hate to say it but I am sure that there are lots that are upset with the earls decision in Alberta but I am sure they will have more customers heading there for this reason. In fact I have already run into several people (none born and raised Albertans) say they want to go eat at Earls for this reason.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 10:31 PM

They can buy and serve they want - like you I don't need to go there. And won't be because I like my Alberta beef. Lucky for me 99% of the other places serve it - including MacDonalds who are reminding us on their flashing billboards they serve 110% Canadian beef {Alberta beef}. All is good not to worry big W.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 3:53 AM

Spotted on Whyte tonight but may be old news?

SEORAK Tappan & Bar... about 108th or 107 and Whyte - Northside. Under construction.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 10:55 PM
HVAC guru

Hooray! Fat Franks storefront opened in Capilano today!

I think a jalapeño cheddar Smokie and a beer may be in order for lunch tomorrow

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 5:12 PM

Dovetail Delicatessen closed on 124. Reasons are vague, but my guess is the traffic was slow and/or lifestyle decision:

https://www.facebook.com/dovetaildel...type=3&theater

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton