New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 6:44 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.bisnow.com/new-york/news...h-street-65882

A DECADE IN THE MAKING: THE HISTORY BEHIND 80 SOUTH STREET

Sep 30, 2016
Benjamin Mazzara

Quote:
There are more than 100 supertall towers (taller than 984 feet) in the world, several of which are in NYC. With any project that innovates, the whole picture needs to be seen, so the right lessons can be taken away. That’s why we’re taking a look at NYC’s supertalls and megadevelopments. Last week we started with Macklowe Properties and CIM Group’s 1,396-foot 432 Park Ave, and now we’re looking south to China Oceanwide Holdings’ 1,436-foot 80 South Street.

.....Designed by SHoP Architects, 80 South St is expected to rise to 1,436 feet, making its roof 50 feet taller than Silverstein Properties’ One World Trade Center, the tallest building by roof height in Lower Manhattan, the second tallest tower in NYC and the third tallest building in the US. SHoP’s 820k SF, 113-story tower is slated to have 441k SF of residential space and 377k SF space for hotel, office or retail use. It’s unknown how many units it would hold.

The exact materials of the building are also unspecified, but it’s expected to be torqued, thin and taper slightly as it rises. No completion date has been announced, and China Oceanwide Holdings hasn’t confirmed if it will continue with SHoP’s design. Although the tower will be near Howard Hughes’ South Street Seaport, it’s not technically a part of the Seaport Historic District. The tower has inspired some ire from Downtown residents, however, as the tower could only further strain the neighborhood’s school system.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 12:27 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I suspect this will rise once they get financing as the banks nowadays are being extra careful due to risk. More than in the past. EB-5 would be a start. Take advantage of that Chinese capital that moving out of the mainland, and into U.S. cities. Maybe a nice surprise will come after the elections. A 2017 Q1 loan close would be sweet.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 11:54 PM

I already love this tower !!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 1:13 AM
Mr. Technology

I doubt the election will affect the financing for this development.
We are talking NYC here.

I personally see no reason for the residents to complain.
If they don't like skyscrapers, then they can move across the Hudson.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 5:48 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.wsj.com/articles/luxury-c...tan-1480501810

Luxury-Condo Market Is Starting to Rebound In Downtown Manhattan
Brokers say the surge points to the growing popularity of lower Manhattan as a place to live

By JOSH BARBANEL
Nov. 30, 2016

Quote:
On the upper floors of a cast limestone tower known as at 30 Park Place, in the heart of downtown, signs point to a resurgence in Manhattan’s sluggish luxury-condominium market.

During November, Silverstein Properties Inc., the developer of the tower near City Hall, signed contracts for five new condos costing between about $20 million and $26 million. Sales for the month totaled $110 million.

In all of 2016, only 11 other condos closed for more than $20 million below 34th Street in Manhattan, according to city deed filings. Other downtown developers are also reporting a rebound in sales and showings.....

Let's hope this is a good showibg for 80 South Street.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 10:00 PM
Mr. Technology

I'll believe that when I see it.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 8:59 PM

To think I was only 15 when they released the first version with those 12(?) cubes

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 1:39 AM

Looking forward to a skyscraper here. Still, lower Manhattan isnt a place I'd want to live.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo View Post
Looking forward to a skyscraper here. Still, lower Manhattan isnt a place I'd want to live.
As a non-New Yorker, that's why I love to visit New York, not live there. Great for a long weekend or a bus trip, but I wouldn't want to live there with that kind of density.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 7:50 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
As a non-New Yorker, that's why I love to visit New York, not live there. Great for a long weekend or a bus trip, but I wouldn't want to live there with that kind of density.
i'm down there all the time and outside of the wtc sites tourists and C21 i never find it that crowded anywhere. after work hours its pretty dead, outside of stone st at happy hour and the dead rabbit bar that recently won some award. fulton st always kind of sucks during the day because of various construction nonsense, but thats about it.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i'm down there all the time and outside of the wtc sites tourists and C21 i never find it that crowded anywhere. after work hours its pretty dead, outside of stone st at happy hour and the dead rabbit bar that recently won some award. fulton st always kind of sucks during the day because of various construction nonsense, but thats about it.
completely agree

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 1:36 PM
New Yorker for life

I was reading that article the other day, and was think how honestly, lower Manhattan is one of the least crowded spaces in Manhattan. Anyone who would move to Manhattan's skyscraper canyons can't be too adverse to crowds. But I was looking at the NYSE Christmas tree the other night, with hardly anyone else around. Went back uptown to Rockefeller Center, and it was bedlam.

That being said, this tower will be on the waterfront, but a stone's throw away from the Seaport, one of Downtown's major attractions. You wouldn't move to the area without that expectation (even if you're a thousand feet up looking down).

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 2:36 PM

Outside of the Stone Street entertainment corridor and the area around Pace University, I still find downtown to be pretty quiet at night.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 3:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Outside of the Stone Street entertainment corridor and the area around Pace University, I still find downtown to be pretty quiet at night.
Especially compared to the rest of Manhattan. If people wanted to live in the suburbs with less crowds, that's where they should be. But if you like and live in Manhattan, you have to expect as much.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 12:36 AM
New Yorker for life

DECEMBER 27, 2016

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 4:56 PM

What is the building under construction? It is being built on the site of the tiny parking lot in the pic below, bottom left.

From the diagram, it looks like the brick building (80 South Street) will have to be demolished for the new tower to rise.

Last edited by McSky; Jan 2, 2017 at 5:19 PM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 5:21 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

One Seaport (161 Maiden Lane)

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 7:49 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Yeah, the people at 1 Seaport (I think they have to change the name) will move in just in time to watch their views being blocked to the north by 80 South Street...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 12:25 AM

When will start the construction ?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 12:29 AM
DENNAB

Considering the Chinese are behind this, I hope Trump does't ruin it the way things are going. This would be a true gem.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals