HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 6:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
The bigger question is how you can get children/parents in vulnerable area's to understand a quality education is a way out. I teach in North Philly and have had these conversations daily with students. Not everyone is going to be a professional athlete, Rapper, streamer or influencer. Those are the exceptions not the rule. But this is the you tube generation and its all they see.
Where I live in a medium-sized city in a Quebec is a world away from North Philly, though we are fairly mixed socio-economically and somewhat diverse.

But even here the de-valuing of education is a real thing. A few years ago I remember seeing a headline about parents in my city being dissatisfied with our schools. My first thought was that schools weren't demanding enough and not committed to pursuing excellence.

But nope... the parents' complaints were about the schools being too demanding, and assigning too much homework! All of which took away from time for kids' extra-curricular activities: hockey, dancing, gymnastics, soccer, etc. And cut into families' weekend getaways or week-long trips to all-inclusive trips down south.

As the parent of teenagers with a fairly wide entourage, I find that a lot of people talk a good game or pay lip service to the importance of education, but most people see it as simply a piece of paper that gets you stuff.

Fewer and fewer believe in the higher purpose behind it all. Which explains a lot of the reluctance when it comes to taking it seriously and putting in the extra effort.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
The bigger question is how you can get children/parents in vulnerable area's to understand a quality education is a way out. I teach in North Philly and have had these conversations daily with students. Not everyone is going to be a professional athlete, Rapper, streamer or influencer. Those are the exceptions not the rule. But this is the you tube generation and its all they see.
Ontario, in Canada, has among the highest post-secondary attainment globally; (81% of HS graduates) and a decent HS graduation rate of about 87%.

I would argue that this is a result of several things.

One is simply a quality education from the beginning.

Once students fall far behind their peers or start to find material unmanageable they fail to believe there is value in trying.

Why try hard just to fail?

Early intervention in a variety of ways is called for, from full-day junior kindergarten (I believe this is called pre-K in much of the U.S.) ; to smaller class sizes in early grades, intervention with students w/learning disabilities etc.

I think the second key is ensuring the students not only believe graduation is attainable but that post-secondary is attainable.

That means a realistic belief they can qualify to go; but also that they can afford to go.

I wouldn't be prescriptive here on what mix of lower tuition/student aid is desirable, except to say, where tuition is high, students and their families can see the barrier; where they may not see a way to overcome it.

Of course, its also critical to normalize success; whether its trying to create healthy mixed-income communities or whether its seeing teachers and other professionals that 'look like you'.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
I don’t think is taboo talking about single moms. Ann Coulter and other conservative pundits have been talking about this for age.

However, I find very troubling (and sexist) to single out “single moms” as if they were the problem. For every single mom raising a child alone, there is an absent father that don’t even show up. So instead of focusing on “single moms”, absent dads that should be targeted as part of the problem.
Moralizing/finger-wagging is almost never an effective strategy against anything.

It really is not more complicated now than a thousand years ago.

Make it easy to do the 'right' thing; make it more difficult to make a bad choice.

When people do make bad choices but seek to make the best of it; help them.

End.

That works.

Sex education and free contraception prevents most teen pregnancies.

Explaining to young men and women, why its not 'wrong' to be a single parent, but it is much more challenging generally.

Equally emphasizing the importance of helping raise the next generation; not as an exercise in morality, but because these are the people you will depend on in your old age; best to raise and education them well out of self-interest!

But then help those who do end up this position by providing affordable day care, the chance to go back and finish High School; etc etc.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 7:26 PM

Back to the core of things.

Toronto off to a good start, no homicides in week #1 of 2021.

Fingers crossed that the positive trendline will stay with us!

On last year's count, the numbers for Toronto have been discussed.

But what just came out is the homicide clearance rate.

77% (and indications from police that will rise shortly).

While 100% would be better..........that's not bad.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 7:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
Ontario, in Canada, has among the highest post-secondary attainment globally; (81% of HS graduates) and a decent HS graduation rate of about 87%.

I would argue that this is a result of several things.

One is simply a quality education from the beginning.

Once students fall far behind their peers or start to find material unmanageable they fail to believe there is value in trying.

Why try hard just to fail?

Early intervention in a variety of ways is called for, from full-day junior kindergarten (I believe this is called pre-K in much of the U.S.) ; to smaller class sizes in early grades, intervention with students w/learning disabilities etc.

I think the second key is ensuring the students not only believe graduation is attainable but that post-secondary is attainable.

That means a realistic belief they can qualify to go; but also that they can afford to go.

I wouldn't be prescriptive here on what mix of lower tuition/student aid is desirable, except to say, where tuition is high, students and their families can see the barrier; where they may not see a way to overcome it.

Of course, its also critical to normalize success; whether its trying to create healthy mixed-income communities or whether its seeing teachers and other professionals that 'look like you'.
Consistent, equal funding across a large jurisdiction (ie the state or province) as opposed to highly variable funding from district to district based on localized levels of affluence and tax base, also appears to be a key factor of success.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Consistent, equal funding across a large jurisdiction (ie the state or province) as opposed to highly variable funding from district to district based on localized levels of affluence and tax base, also appears to be a key factor of success.
Agreed.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
Moralizing/finger-wagging is almost never an effective strategy against anything.

It really is not more complicated now than a thousand years ago.

Make it easy to do the 'right' thing; make it more difficult to make a bad choice.

When people do make bad choices but seek to make the best of it; help them.

End.

That works.

Sex education and free contraception prevents most teen pregnancies.

Explaining to young men and women, why its not 'wrong' to be a single parent, but it is much more challenging generally.

Equally emphasizing the importance of helping raise the next generation; not as an exercise in morality, but because these are the people you will depend on in your old age; best to raise and education them well out of self-interest!

But then help those who do end up this position by providing affordable day care, the chance to go back and finish High School; etc etc.
Exactly. What bashing black single moms, accusing them to be responsible for all crime in the US, hope to accomplish?

Only the ideological satisfaction to point fingers on people you don’t like.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Inner city public schools in Cities like Washington DC are well funded, yet crime is high and students perform poorly

I don’t really see how education can help the situation.

If anything we need to support and offer opportunities so those that lack education . Perhaps at a cost of a smaller return on our Stock portfolios
The notion that it is acceptable not to ensure an entire group of people be it based on economics, or skin-colour or anything else are reasonably be likely to receive a good education is utterly bizarre.

It is certainly reasonable to note, that irrespective of education, some individual people will always end up in entry-level jobs and/or those not dependent on an academic education.

Certainly, such people ought to have a chance to earn a living wage; whether that is done by managing labour supply; raising minimum wage, or some, selective trade measures.....is a debate I'm open to.

I expect some combination of these would be best.......

But, overall, we're headed to a more automated world.

One in which fewer people will push brooms, or do a repetitive task on an assembly line, or even drive a bus.

And as those jobs become largely automated; people will require an education in order to obtain meaningful employment.

Better to find ways to make that work now.........once its a necessity, its a bit late.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 6:40 AM

NYPD released 2020's index crimes statistics. Overall crime continues a downward trend minus a mere 0.7% from last year, but thats a macro look of things.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/news/...ecord-low-2020

Murder +44.8% from 2019. The more concerning trend is shootings, which nearly doubled from 2019 at a whopping +97%

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 6:44 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Nasty rampage today spanning the length of Chicago which has resulted in at least 3 deaths, apparently including a UChicago student (identity still not made public) as a victim:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...~1~3~art%20yes

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 5:25 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

we had a miracle in ny the other day,

zero shootings across all five boros:

https://nypost.com/2021/01/09/nyc-re...hootings-nypd/

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 8:33 AM
Meh

2021 Austin Metro Murders

| Austin 3 | Travis Co. 3 | Bastrop Co. 0 | Caldwell Co. 0 | Hays Co. 1 | Williamson Co. 1 | Metro 5 |

Causes metrowide
Shooting - 5
Stabbing - 0
Strangled - 0
Suffocation - 0
Throwing (of child) - 0
Beating - 0
Vehicular homicide - 0
Blunt force trauma - 0
Sharp force trauma - 0
Unlisted cause - 0
Domestic terrorism - 0

Austin totals
Downtown - 0
Central Austin - 0
East Austin - 0
North Austin - 0
Northeast Austin - 1
Northwest Austin - 0
South Austin - 1
Southeast Austin - 1
Southwest Austin - 0
West Austin - 0

Victims
Male - 5
Female - 0
Unlisted - 0

| Jan 5 | Feb 0 | Mar 0 | Apr 0 | May 0 | Jun 0 | Jul 0 | Aug 0 | Sep 0 | Oct 0 | Nov 0 | Dec 0 |

-

| Mon 2 | Tue 0 | Wed 0 | Thur 1 | Fri 0 | Sat 2 | Sun 0 |

-

Murder cases
Code:
1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/suspect-charged-with-capital-murder-after-man-was-found-dead-in-round-rock/?utm_campaign=alert_bar&utm_source=side_bullets - Round Rock shooting - 1/9

1 dead - https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/one-person-dead-after-shooting-in-northeast-austin - Austin shooting - 1/11

1 dead - http://www.austintexas.gov/news/homicide-5000-brighton-road - Austin shooting - 1/18

1 dead - https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2021/01/22/hays-county-sheriffs-office-investigating-apparent-shooting/6681601002/ - Buda shooting - 1/21

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/man-killed-after-shootout-between-two-groups-at-north-austin-complex-police-say/ - Austin shooting - 1/23
-

Pending cases

Code:
2 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/austin-police-swat-responding-to-possible-barricaded-person-in-central-austin/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=socialflow&fbclid=IwAR1lwEgblSNoUcmAVUVlcPBXgfy9CoCP45sivOBagq-h2rdihUvqOBmne8I - 1/26
Austin area population

City: 964,254 (July 1, 2018 estimate) - source: US Census Bureau
Travis County: 1,273,954 (July 1, 2019 estimate) - source: US Census Bureau
Metro: 2,227,083 (July 1, 2019 estimate) - source: US Census Bureau

Area - City: 297 square miles (2010) - US Census Bureau
Area - Metro: 4,285 square miles - Wikipedia
Area - Travis County: 1,023 square miles - Wikipedia

-

Previous years

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Jan 27, 2021 at 6:47 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 6:10 PM

New Orleans finished 2020 with 195 murders. A substantial increase over the 120 murders recorded in 2019.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 7:10 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Inner city public schools in Cities like Washington DC are well funded, yet crime is high and students perform poorly
I've always wondered where the money actually goes. Do public schools in Washington DC actually commit more resources to individual pupils?

I just think we need to rule out things like spending on stuff like pensions, or an aging and/or excessive physical plant before we have this conversation. I just know that in places like Chicago, the teacher's union is extraordinarily powerful while at the same time they have lots of old, ornate campuses with a shrinking number of pupils but nobody will allow them to close these facilities and replace them with cheaper modern ones that are more consolidated.

My thinking on this topic is also that you can't really fix education without dealing with poverty, or at-home dysfunction. But I don't think the government can or should be trying to collectively punish parents of a particular culture because they don't "value education" whatever that means.

Also charter schools just seem to be a method of separating out the difficult kids from the ones who will be easy to teach and make the school's reputation go up. None of the inner city school systems that went with them on a large scale ever saw a big improvement in outcomes on average.

Everyone has an opinion on how to fix beleaugered public education systems but I've never once read anything that gave a satisfying answer.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 2:09 PM

The number of homicides so far in the last 16 days in Columbus is almost too horrible to even mention-14!!-just revised downward from 16(one a day!)by CPD-two bodies found in the Hilltop were dead long before this year started.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 5:55 PM

Yup agreed. We have one of those assholes as LA county DA now and he is trying to ram nonsense, woke bs down our throats. He's getting a shit load of push back from judges, other prosecutors and DAs and there is a recall campaign set to start as soon as possible (90 days after the election).. You may of heard of this douche... George gascon

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Yup agreed. We have one of those assholes as LA county DA now and he is trying to ram nonsense, woke bs down our throats. He's getting a shit load of push back from judges, other prosecutors and DAs and there is a recall campaign set to start as soon as possible (90 days after the election).. You may of heard of this douche... George gascon
He is another George Soros backed asshat. We deal with Larry Krasner here in Philly who has absolutely destroyed the great progress Philadelphia made.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 6:43 PM

Philadelphia: As of 1/20/2021 32 Homicides. Up 10% from last year at this time.

https://www.phillypolice.com/crime-maps-stats/

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 6:49 PM

LA as of 1/16

2021 - 26
2020 - 12
2019 - 11

Big jump obviously. Mostly all taking place in south LA... Gee, i wonder if this had anything to do with releasing all these criminals early over the last year...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 6:50 PM

Really bad news considering it's the middle of winter, historically the least murderous period of the year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions