HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
The local soccer promoters should convince the county to convert Kino Stadium to a permanent soccer facility, as well as the adjacent practice diamonds.
Step one: https://www.facebook.com/events/202663529849350/

Quote:
Via Greg Foster.
"We think we will be on the Pima County Board of Supervisors agenda Tuesday, April 17 (although no formal announcement has been made). We are proposing a partnership between FC Tucson, Pima County and Kino Sports Complex to convert 5 training fields at the North Complex at Kino Sports Complex from baseball to soccer. The remaining 7 training fields south of Ajo and the Kino Veteran's Memorial Stadium would remain baseball fields. We will wrap the lighted field at the North Complex with bleachers seating 2000 fans. This will serve as FC Tucson's home field.

This would support 10 MLS teams for preseason in 2013. We will also expand MLS preseason here to include the Desert Diamond Cup and Desert Diamond Friendlies (which will have low ticket prices and probably be played at the FC Tucson home field).

We will also host youth games and FC Tucson branded camps and clinics.

Without the fields, we may struggle to host MLS preseason here in the future. We would love to have your support at the Board meeting April 17! "
FC Tucson is requesting as much public support as possible at the meeting. I'm working that day, otherwise I'd go myself.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
I doubt that Cunningham's arena proposal will find any traction right now--the city is in no mood to add on more debt (i.e., bonds) to pay for it, and there is no anchor tenant to make it economically viable. As Steve Kozachik said in a recent news interview, a new arena will cost at least $200M (and that's for a smaller version without a second tier that seats a maximum of 15,000).

The Rio Nuevo board needs to get focused on expanding and updating the TCC (which is their primary responsibility as mandated by the state). If that happens, we'll probably see several new hotel proposals move forward, including one for the Thrifty block, which should then spur further interest in development around the convention center. (And let's not even think about cutting a deal with Bert Lopez to rehab his junky Hotel Arizona.) At that point, a private entity might step up to build a new arena, although they would undoubtedly want lots of concessions and help from the city to make it work (just like Garfield-Traub did with the failed Sheraton proposal).

As far as professional sports, I agree that Tucson's best hope is probably with an MLS team. The local soccer promoters should convince the county to convert Kino Stadium to a permanent soccer facility, as well as the adjacent practice diamonds. Any potential Japanese or MLB spring training games could be played at Hi Corbett and negotiated through the UofA, who is now the main tenant.
I agree, the new arena is a long-shot, but I thought it was worth noting. I also saw Kozachik's interview on TV, and he is far from thrilled about building a new arena. I also agree with you about Lopez. The whole thing with him is just shady. I disagree with you, though, about Kino Stadium being retrofitted for an MLS team, for a few reasons. (1) I've heard grumblings, and I want to say these were only rumors and speculations, that the Phoenix market, as far as MLB Spring Training is over-extended right now. Most teams, especially those in the far out suburbs (and those not named the AZ Diamondbacks and the Chicago Scrubs - sorry, I'm a St. Louis Cardinals fan) are not drawing as well as the teams would like (and I was at a Cubs/D-Backs game in Mesa in March and I was surprised it wasn't sold out, though there was a nice crowd). I hear there are a couple of teams whose leases run out with their cities or ball-parks in a couple of years, and I've heard some of them might be interested in at least exploring the option of moving down here where there is no (or little, if a couple teams come) competition. In that case, if 2 come down, or especially if 3 do, they would need 2 stadiums (Kino as well as Hi-Corbitt). (2) I've been to both stadiums and Kino is much nicer, and Hi-Corbitt is out-dated. I remember Marana was interested in building a sports complex that could be used to house MLB Spring-Training, but that was a couple years ago, and I haven't heard anything about that in a while. (3) The main reason that Kino has had such a problem drawing people is that they didn't build it downtown. They built it out on the south side of the city, right off I-10 (with an exit leading to a degrading 2-lane road - they could have at least built the 1-mile or so road from I-10 to the stadium into a 4-lane road). If the stadium had been built downtown, or at least somewhere more centralized, we might never have lost the D-Backs AAA team, or our Spring-Training. (4) Kino Stadium has a team right now, the Tucson Padres (though, partly for the reason stated directly above, they are not drawing that well - though part of the reason may also be that no one knows if the team will be a permanent fixture here, since they were originally supposed to be here for 2 years, through this year, before moving to the San Diego area, though the ballpark they were supposed to build for them has been abandoned - rumors are the team is for sale, and no one from Tucson has shown any interest in buying the team to keep them here).

Now, I know that it seems silly that I'm saying Kino Stadium was built in the wrong place for it to be a success, and I'm also saying we should keep it for baseball so that we can lure teams here (or keep the Padres), but I think that if we were to get an MLS team we should build a stadium downtown (if we could find the room). It would help bring people to downtown, be located right by I-10, close to the U of A (the other major sports draw in town), and close to the streetcar. Kino Stadium, despite its drawbacks of location, is a nice stadium. I think baseball can still be, at least somewhat, successful there (and I think that in the future, as the city builds more east, south, and south-east - remember the city has some 50 + square miles of annexed land that's all but vacant, most of it southeast of I-10 - Kino will actually become somewhat more desirable a location and easier to access for more people), but if we are going to invest in an MLS team, with a true desire of keeping this team, I think we'd need a stadium build downtown.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Step one: https://www.facebook.com/events/202663529849350/

FC Tucson is requesting as much public support as possible at the meeting. I'm working that day, otherwise I'd go myself.
I'm a little more in line with this way of thinking. I could get behind this proposal of converting some of the practice fields to soccer.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
(1) I've heard grumblings, and I want to say these were only rumors and speculations, that the Phoenix market, as far as MLB Spring Training is over-extended right now. Most teams, especially those in the far out suburbs (and those not named the AZ Diamondbacks and the Chicago Scrubs - sorry, I'm a St. Louis Cardinals fan) are not drawing as well as the teams would like...
What you wrote is untrue as this year was ANOTHER record-breaking year for attendance and revenue for the Cactus League. Not sure where you are hearing these rumors, but they are inaccurate. Also, an MLS team has been talked about in Phoenix for a while now. Exactly when this club, named Phoenix Rising, would be established is still unknown and the effort to bring a team to Phoenix is rather weak as of now.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...y-tourism.html

2011 was a record-breaking year and 2012 broke those attendance records. Of course teams would like to sell-out every game but it is very unlikely that every single team will ever sellout every single game.

EDIT: note that in the article, it explains that tourism in Arizona is helped by an increase in Cactus League attendance. I'm sure Tucson and N. Arizona (Grand Canyon, Flag, Sedona, etc.) also benefit from those traveling to Phoenix to see their teams.

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Apr 15, 2012 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
Also, an MLS team has been talked about in Phoenix for a while now. Exactly when this club, named Phoenix Rising, would be established is still unknown and the effort to bring a team to Phoenix is rather weak as of now.
MLS in Phoenix hasn't seriously been discussed in three or four years. For better or worse, the interest doesn't seem to be there right now.

Soccer is a hot topic in tucson right now due to the success of DDC but it's a long shot MLS would ever consider Tucson, or Phoenix at this point, as a viable market for a team.

First, the buy-in for a team right now is $50 million plus (potentially $100 million if the league extends the price of the next NY team to future expansion as well).

Second, every future team is expected to have a sustainable stadium situation in place. Unless the Bidwills decided to squeeze some more money out of their tight @sses in the near future to subsidize rental costs for a team, no current facility in Arizona would fit this criteria.

This means a team would be looking at $50 to $100 million in sunk costs plus stadium construction/renovation costs. I just don't see any investment groups willing to put up that kind of money in Arizona right now.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
What you wrote is untrue as this year was ANOTHER record-breaking year for attendance and revenue for the Cactus League. Not sure where you are hearing these rumors, but they are inaccurate. Also, an MLS team has been talked about in Phoenix for a while now. Exactly when this club, named Phoenix Rising, would be established is still unknown and the effort to bring a team to Phoenix is rather weak as of now.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...y-tourism.html

2011 was a record-breaking year and 2012 broke those attendance records. Of course teams would like to sell-out every game but it is very unlikely that every single team will ever sellout every single game.

EDIT: note that in the article, it explains that tourism in Arizona is helped by an increase in Cactus League attendance. I'm sure Tucson and N. Arizona (Grand Canyon, Flag, Sedona, etc.) also benefit from those traveling to Phoenix to see their teams.
You are right, as the article points out, the Cactus League did hit a new attendance record of 1.68 million fans (+ 5.6% from the 2011 record-breaking year), with one game left to play as of the writing of the article on 4/3/12. But, when you delve a little deeper into the statistics the article provided (teams average attendance and the increase - or decrease) from last year's attendance, you see that, as I said in my post, some teams are doing well, others, not so much. I've crunched some numbers, and shown the average % of capacity for teams, the average over/under of attendance for teams from the average Cactus League (CL) game, and the percentage under average attendance for those who did not draw as much as the average CL game (8 of the 15 teams did not average as much as the CL game average).

Some notes: The Angles increased average attendance from last year by 47%, no doubt bumped by the addition of Albert Pujols - The Brewers average 78.23% capacity, but in a stadium that seats only 94.34% of the average CL game attendance - The Reds were worst in capacity average (37.50%) and in average attendance compared to average CL game attendance (-47.88%) - The Indians, despite drawing 25% more fans than last year (2nd highest jump), were 3rd worst in capacity average (47.44%) and 2nd worst in average attendance compared to average CL game attendance (-36.97%) - according to the article: "The six East Valley teams -- the Diamondbacks, Angels, Cubs, Rockies, San Francisco Giants, and Athletics -- accounted for about 52 percent of 15-team league attendance." - meaning that 40% (6/15) of the teams accounted for 52% of the average attendance, and all 5 of the top drawing teams (and 5 of the 7 teams to draw over 70% capacity) were in the West Valley.

Also of note: according to the article - "League average was 7,420, in 227 games up 8.3 percent from a year ago." (even though the article also reported that attendance increased 5.6%, yet average game attendance increased 8.3%)

- D'Backs - 11,677 (+ 4.6%) - Salt River Fields (Talking Stick, Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community, Scottsdale) - Capacity 11,000 - Over 100% capacity - 4,257 over average CL game attendance
- Giants - 10,520 (+4.8%) - Scottsdale Stadium (Scottsdale) - Capacity 12,000 - 87.67% capacity - 3,100 over average CL game attendance
- Rockies - 10,468 (-1.23%) - Salt River Fields (Talking Stick, Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community, Scottsdale) - Capacity 11,000 - 95.16% capacity - 3,048 over average CL game attendance
- Cubs - 9,580 (+1.45%) - HoHoKam Stadium (Mesa) - Capacity 12,623 - 75.89% capacity - 2,160 over average CL game attendance
- Angles - 8,675 (+47%) - Temp Diablo Stadium (Tempe) - Capacity 9,558 - 90.76% capacity - 1,255 over average CL game attendance
- Dodgers - 8,118 (+10.2%) - Camelback Ranch (Glendale) - Capacity 10,000 - 81.18% capacity - 698 over average CL game attendance
- Rangers - 7,460 (+8.1%) - Surprise Stadium (Surprise) - Capacity 10,714 - 69.63% capacity - 40 over average CL game attendance
- Mariners - 7,334 (+4.5%) - Peoria Sports Complex (Peoria) - Capacity 12,882 - 56.93% capacity - 86 under average CL game attendance (-1.16%)
- White Sox - 6,137 (+0.33%) - Camelback Ranch (Glendale) - Capacity 10,000 - 61.37% capacity - 1,283 under average CL game attendance (-17.29%)
- A's - 5,798 (+ 15.7%) - Phoenix Municipal Stadium (Phoenix) - Capacity 8,775 - 66.07% capacity - 1,622 under average CL game attendance (-21.86%)
- Padres - 5,486 (+8.4%) - Peoria Sports Complex (Peoria) - Capacity 12,882 - 42.59% capacity - 1,934 under average CL game attendance (-26.06%)
- Brewers - 5,476 (+17.8%) - Maryvale Baseball Park (Phoenix) - Capacity 7,000 - 78.23% capacity (94.34% stadium capacity of average CL game attendance) - 1,944 under average CL game attendance (-26.20%)
- Royals - 5,083 (+4.6%) - Surprise Stadium (Surprise) - Capacity 10,714 - 47.44% capacity - 2,337 under average CL game attendance (-31.50%)
- Indians - 4,677 (+25%) - Goodyear Ballpark (Goodyear) - Capacity 10,311 - 45.36% capacity - 2,743 under average CL game attendance (-36.97%)
- Reds - 3,867 (+2%) - Goodyear Ballpark (Goodyear) - Capacity 10,311 - 37.50% capacity - 3,553 under average CL game attendance (-47.88%)

As for my statement I made about the speculation, I'm not sure where I heard it, or when (I know it was over a year ago though), and as I said, I don't know if anything will come of it for Tucson, but, as healthy as the overall attendance was for the Cactus League, these statistics show that it was not as healthy for all teams, which was my original contention.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:59 PM

/\ Care to do the same analysis for the Grapefruit League?

The problem with teams like the Brewers is their crappy stadium in Maryvale that a casual fan wouldn't want to go to. Also, the far west valley teams are in a semi-poor location to draw in casual fans.

The Cactus League failed in Tucson for several reasons, you could say part of it was the stadium was in a poor location, and if they built a brand-spanking new stadium in a good location in Tucson, they might pull in more fans. However, and this is HUGE, unless you bring 4-8 teams down there, Tucson isn't a viable location for spring training anymore. The constant travel daily between Phoenix and Tucson for the Rockies and D'backs in Tucson was a huge strain and a big reason they came back up to Phoenix. Putting 1 or 2 teams in a new stadium down there might sound like a good idea and they could possibly draw decent attendance numbers... but I don't think any team will be willing to be separated from the action up in Phoenix and constantly have to travel each day for 2 hours up the I-10 to get to their games.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
/\ Care to do the same analysis for the Grapefruit League?

The problem with teams like the Brewers is their crappy stadium in Maryvale that a casual fan wouldn't want to go to. Also, the far west valley teams are in a semi-poor location to draw in casual fans.

The Cactus League failed in Tucson for several reasons, you could say part of it was the stadium was in a poor location, and if they built a brand-spanking new stadium in a good location in Tucson, they might pull in more fans. However, and this is HUGE, unless you bring 4-8 teams down there, Tucson isn't a viable location for spring training anymore. The constant travel daily between Phoenix and Tucson for the Rockies and D'backs in Tucson was a huge strain and a big reason they came back up to Phoenix. Putting 1 or 2 teams in a new stadium down there might sound like a good idea and they could possibly draw decent attendance numbers... but I don't think any team will be willing to be separated from the action up in Phoenix and constantly have to travel each day for 2 hours up the I-10 to get to their games.
You're partly making the point I was making. Older, 'crappy' stadiums, and one's built out in the far-west suburbs (ex-burbs really) of Phoenix, are bringing down the average attendance of some of these clubs (as is, possibly, the over-saturation of the market. That's really the point I was trying to make. Obviously, it is a drive to get down here, and it doesn't help that they're always seeming to be doing work on I-10, but hopefully it will get to at least 3 lanes the whole way before we all die. If we hadn't been hit by the housing crisis and Pinal County had continued to grow at the rate it was, I would think that putting a team or two there, and 2-3 down here would be a good idea. But, I think Tucson could support 2-3 teams down here. Teams would be able to play a couple games amongst themselves, and teams from Phoenix would be able to come down for a couple games/days at a time, just as our teams could head up there for a couple days at a time.

As for the Grapefruit League, I don't have their statistics (the only reason I had the stats for the Cactus League is because of the link to the article that provided them in phxSUNSfan's post). But, you have to remember with the Grapefruit League, not all the teams are in one metro area (say Miami, Orlando, or Tampa/St. Pete). They are spread out over a relatively wide area (I say relatively wide because Florida itself is a pretty narrow state, though there are teams in the middle (the Orlando area) and up and down the Atlantic and Gulf coasts.

And again, let me stress, I haven't heard that this is going to happen. I simply heard (or read - I can't even remember where I heard or read this), that there were teams unhappy with their arrangements up in Phoenix, because of a combination of any of these: their locations, their stadiums and their lack of drawing power. These weren't even rumors put out by teams, it was more of people thinking out loud (or in print), suggesting that there might be an opportunity for Tucson to get spring-training back in a couple of years.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 9:11 PM

Teams will never be happy until they have a brand new stadium, so they'll all likely be bitching and moaning.

Where/whoever you read/heard about Tucson being viable (or a possible opportunity)... I can almost guarantee you it isn't unless 4 or more teams relocate there. Two teams (Rockies and Diamondbacks - which should be one of the top draws in the Cactus League no matter where they are) already tried and failed for the reasons we've talked about, you'll need at least 4.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
MLS in Phoenix hasn't seriously been discussed in three or four years. For better or worse, the interest doesn't seem to be there right now.

Soccer is a hot topic in tucson right now due to the success of DDC but it's a long shot MLS would ever consider Tucson, or Phoenix at this point, as a viable market for a team.

First, the buy-in for a team right now is $50 million plus (potentially $100 million if the league extends the price of the next NY team to future expansion as well).

Second, every future team is expected to have a sustainable stadium situation in place. Unless the Bidwills decided to squeeze some more money out of their tight @sses in the near future to subsidize rental costs for a team, no current facility in Arizona would fit this criteria.

This means a team would be looking at $50 to $100 million in sunk costs plus stadium construction/renovation costs. I just don't see any investment groups willing to put up that kind of money in Arizona right now.
This goes hand in hand with the money, but what is needed most of all is corporate sponsorship, which Tucson has none. See how the San Francisco Giants became fiercely territorial and eventually scuttled the Oakland A's proposed stadium that would place the A's closer to Silicon Valley.

If I'm not mistaken; Tucson, with the exception of Green Bay, WI, would have the smallest metropolitan population of any pro sports city. The current micro-market cities are home to big business (like New Orleans or Memphis) and they've still got about an additional quarter million residents more than Tucson.

Still a good goal to work toward. It would be a better option than Phoenix because the MLS won't play indoors. At least in Tucson the temp drops when the sun goes down.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty View Post
This goes hand in hand with the money, but what is needed most of all is corporate sponsorship, which Tucson has none. See how the San Francisco Giants became fiercely territorial and eventually scuttled the Oakland A's proposed stadium that would place the A's closer to Silicon Valley.

If I'm not mistaken; Tucson, with the exception of Green Bay, WI, would have the smallest metropolitan population of any pro sports city. The current micro-market cities are home to big business (like New Orleans or Memphis) and they've still got about an additional quarter million residents more than Tucson.

Still a good goal to work toward. It would be a better option than Phoenix because the MLS won't play indoors. At least in Tucson the temp drops when the sun goes down.
I don't think the MLS is opposed to indoor play. Phoenix hosts a few MLS games every year at Chase Field (like the Reto Del Sol). Of course the surface is natural grass and the roof opens so that may have something to do with it. They've also played at the UofP Stadium before but again, that is like playing outdoors.

The MLS season is long (March-Dec) with each team playing 34 games. Only a few home games would be played in July and August; therefore, if Tucson or Phoenix were to get a team, heat wouldn't be an issue. They play outdoors in Houston and the humidity and heat get nasty.

With the Cactus League, some teams are "under-performing" yet they are all (except Colorado) continually increasing attendance. So it isn't an issue with stadium location or market saturation. Stadium locations in Phoenix aren't the problem so much as the economy in my opinion. Especially when it concerns teams with lower attendance, like the Reds since the Ohio economy is amongst the weakest. If the Cactus League expands, I could see Tucson getting back into the mix if a stadium is upgraded and if Tuscon/Pima County sponsor more teams...a long shot no less.

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Apr 18, 2012 at 2:12 AM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 8:44 AM

Sunlink celebration video

Here is a video of the streetcar celebration that took place on April 12, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jhw7...feature=relmfu

@.32 the guy on the far left shoveled his sand outside the sandbox lol! I thought that was funny...

Here's another 3D animation of the extended version of the streetcar. It shows it going through UMC, under speedway, and through 2nd street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TDDD...eature=related

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 8:52 AM

I also was thinking if a new stadium was going to be built for MLS, it should be near downtown particularly west of the 1-10 where there is some vacant land.

I think the stadium would have looked great in that vacant land but the mission gardens and old folk's home being built, it probably wouldn't work...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 1:32 PM
Emperor Disco I

City OKs business district offering property-tax breaks

A new central business district, allowing some businesses to have their property taxes abated as soon as next year, was approved unanimously by the City Council on Tuesday.

The council's action, which creates both a redevelopment area and a central business district, covers much of downtown and the west side. The district includes several fingers that extend from downtown along roads such as North Stone Avenue, North Oracle Road, the Interstate 10 frontage road both north and south of downtown and the west side of Aviation Parkway south to East 22nd Street.

Many residential areas near downtown were removed from the central business district, as was the site for Tucson Origins Heritage Park on the west side.

The council approved the district with almost no discussion.

Properties within the district that fit specific criteria could see their property taxes waived for up to eight years. Not every property will be able to sign up, however.

Only properties that would be designated as a significant redevelopment project would be considered. The property-tax abatements could not occur for one year from Tuesday's vote.

To qualify, the city would have to take ownership of the property and then lease it back to the owner, who would make improvements on it.
An independent third-party analysis must show, except in the case of residential rental housing, that the state, county and city will get more out of it than the developer will. The improvement has to result in a 100 percent increase in the property value.

One of the first projects likely to be considered is the Hotel Arizona on Broadway, owned by Humberto Lopez, who is negotiating a deal with the city to have the site-specific taxes given to him to pay off renovation debt for improving the hotel.

Any historic buildings would have to be improved in a way that maintains the historic status. In addition, eminent domain is "not anticipated as a primary objective" and is not expected to be used as part of the redevelopment area, city officials said. To use eminent domain, the city would have to prove that every individual property is blighted in order to take the property.

Contact reporter Rob O'Dell at rodell@azstarnet.com or 807-8465.

Copyright 2012 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

original article here

Repost some links provided by posters here :
World Architecture News
Urbika
Populous
Nussli - better put up that temporary Women's Beach Volleyball stadium while waiting to build a permanent one ... just to keep the ball rolling

Hugh Hefner, how about building a 20(+) storey Playboy mixed used complex right by Miracle Mile ... with a strip club on the top floor and a casino at the bottom. I'd move ... in a heart beat till my dying day.

Skyscraperites, we have won half the battle!!!

... the other half? Crosstown Freeway

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 6:39 PM

The county's decision to convert the five baseball diamonds north of Ajo Way at the Kino Sports Complex to soccer fields signals Tucson's commitment to the growth of MLS spring training and the Desert Diamond Cup event, as well as providing a permanent home for the FC Tucson team:

Conversion of Field 5 to a permanent soccer facility is already underway.
(photo: FC Tucson)

Soccer fields taking shape at Kino
Pima County Board of Supervisors OK switch from baseball

by Becky Pallack
Arizona Daily Star
April 18, 2012

Game on. The Pima County Board of Supervisors gave the go-ahead Tuesday for permanent and semi-permanent soccer fields at the Kino Sports Complex. A one-year agreement between the county and the FC Tucson soccer team is being finalized. The agreement will help FC Tucson bring big events, including Major League Soccer spring training, to Tucson. "This is an important step in bringing some professional sports back into our community," said supervisor Richard Elías, who wore his scarf from the FC Tucson supporters group, the Cactus Pricks.

Work to convert the fields has already begun. Here's what needs to be done:

• A backhoe is digging six inches deep to remove the clay infield on Field 5, which will become the home field for the semi-pro team.

• Next, the first base foul-line fence will be moved back about 10 feet to allow for a rectangle-shaped field instead of a diamond, said Chris Bartos, director of the Pima County Stadium District.

• In about three weeks, giant rolls of sod will be laid out over a sand base.

• Later, bleacher seating for up to 2,000 fans and concession stands will be installed close to the west edge of the field. "You're going to be a lot closer to the action," Bartos said.

• After that, when time and money allow, will come the scoreboard, press box, an autograph area, and other features, Bartos said.

• Later this year, four more fields north of Ajo Way will be converted to soccer fields. They'll stay that way as long as soccer is growing and successful, said Pima County administrator Chuck Huckelberry.

New fields boost chances for big events
Officials hope having five high-quality fields and a soccer stadium will help Tucson land big events.

• Major League Soccer: FC Tucson plans to draw 10 teams for spring training next year and plans to bid on hosting the MLS Combine.

• Semi-pro soccer: FC Tucson's home field will be Field 5 at Kino, and other Premier Development League teams will play here.

• Youth events: "We constantly hear from folks in Phoenix and elsewhere: 'We don't want to go to Tucson and play on dirt and rocks,'" said Ted Schmidt, president of the Tucson Soccer Academy.

• Soccer tourism: Businessman Bruce Washburn said events like the Desert Diamond Cup and regional youth tournaments mean sales for hotels and restaurants.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt...ce96bd4c3.html

http://fctucson.com/team/

Last edited by kaneui; Apr 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty View Post

Tucson may be one of the smallest but we have about 1,000,000 people alone and 2 hours away we have 4.5 million in Phoenix and within four hours south we have Hermosillo and Nogales (Mexico) totaling to about 1,000,000 so I think we have the audience. Tucson area will get about half a million people in 2020 so I think we are a better option than New Orleans and Memphis audience wise. Honestly i think that Tucson and Phoenix will all be one city soon. We need a major league team.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
I also was thinking if a new stadium was going to be built for MLS, it should be near downtown particularly west of the 1-10 where there is some vacant land.

I think the stadium would have looked great in that vacant land but the mission gardens and old folk's home being built, it probably wouldn't work...
I don't think we need the mission gardens. I wouldn't mind there being a mls arena there. It would be really nice if the arena can come with the rainbow bridge......

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 12:27 AM
Ascension

Enough with the Rainbow Bridge already. Downtown Tucson needs more than a bridge to nowhere. Wouldn't you rather see a more developed Tucson or a bridge that will most likely be comparable to the Rattlesnake Bridge on Broadway.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Enough with the Rainbow Bridge already. Downtown Tucson needs more than a bridge to nowhere. Wouldn't you rather see a more developed Tucson or a bridge that will most likely be comparable to the Rattlesnake Bridge on Broadway.
This bridge will be compared to the Space Needle, Gateway arch and other landmarks.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 5:14 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
This bridge will be compared to the Space Needle, Gateway arch and other landmarks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest