HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 12:00 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Domino's Pizza is apparently moving into McLaughlin Place.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 11:59 AM

Well then!
I was there yesterday enjoying some Subway and noted a lot of activity on the far-west end of the unit that Guacamole is in.
Pretty stiff competition for pizza in that area. I suspect they will compete on price, as they always seem to do. (If you sign up for their emails, you'll get half-off offers, and/or other offers, in your email from Monday to (usually) Thursday.)

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 11:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I see from the City of Moncton news release from today (regarding building permit activity), that a new permit has been issued for a $11.5M cold storage warehouse on Frenette Avenue in the Caledonia Industrial Park.

I presume this is what is being built on that cleared lot next to the entrance into the Kent Building Supplies distribution centre.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Oct 23, 2017 at 6:32 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 6:34 PM

Further to the news release mentioned by MonctonRad in the previous post, I believe that the new apartment building valued at $5 million that is to be built on Leopold F. Belliveau Dr. has already begun. I haven't seen any mention of it yet, but there is a very large piece of land cleared out on the right side. The last time I walked by, land prep looked to be almost complete and plumbing and footings had already started to be installed.

The city's municipal plan calls for a mixed use component for each residential "village" planned for the Vision Lands. I wonder if this construction will be a residential/commercial development opposed to just apartments, which begs the question...what type of business would venture being the first to set up shop here? Here's what the municipal plan states:

"Convenience stores, local convenience centres, cafes, and small personal service shops shall be permitted to locate within the residential urban village environment..."

I've also noticed a new road being developed off the Crowley Farm Rd. that runs just east of the Halls Creek North Branch. It seems to me that this is the road from the plan that connects Crowley Farm with the end of Leopold Belliveau. Interesting developments indeed!

Here is the link to the plan. Vision Lands start on page 312.
http://www.moncton.ca/Assets/Governm...dation+ENG.pdf

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 1:33 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Regarding the Elmwood Centre development on the NW corner of the Elmwood Drive/TCH interchange (future home of an expanded Elmwood Home Hardware amongst other things).

The roadway serving this development will be called Granite Drive. There is a proposal before Moncton PAC to extend Granite Drive all the way to McLaughlin Road from Elmwood Drive.

This expansion will allow for considerable new highway commercial development on the north side of the TCH beyond the new Home Hardware store.

The southward curve of Granite Drive as it nears McLaughlin would appear to be due to the presence of an adjacent stream (you can't interfere with watercourses anymore).

This places the proposed Granite Drive/McLaughlin intersection so close to the TCH that it is hard to imagine how a westbound exit ramp from the TCH onto McLaughlin could be accommodated (if there was ever a plan to install one - which I think would be a good idea).

This could be an issue given the current rumours that Costco might be interested in land in the Elmwood Place development. Looking at the placement of the roadway however, the size of the potential lots, and the presence of the stream, it's hard to imagine how a full size Costco and gas bar would be able to fit in here........

Last edited by MonctonRad; Oct 21, 2017 at 3:19 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 1:12 PM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Looking at the placement of the roadway however, the size of the potential lots, and the presence of the stream, it's hard to imagine how a full size Costco and gas bar would be able to fit in here........
An Edmonton Costco fits nicely, if I got the 50m scale right..

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 1:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting. You're probably right on the scale, but this still doesn't address the issue of a lack of a McLaughlin Road/TCH interchange.

One of the biggest beefs with the current Costco is the poorly designed access with long lines of cars waiting to get into the store parking lot. If Costco were placed at this end of Granite Drive, it would be a long way removed from TCH access via Elmwood Drive. I would think this would mean a lot of unintended traffic congestion along the entire length of Granite Drive (as few vehicles would use the alternative of the McLaughlin Road exit).

I suppose they could try and replicate the design of the existing Elmwood/TCH interchange for a hypothetical McLaughlin/TCH interchange, thus giving a second access point to the hypothetical Costco.

I would think the turning radius for the westbound exit off the TCH at McLaughlin would be awfully tight though. This of course could be alleviated if the exit ramps were allowed to cross the stream via culverts (which of course the province has the power to do). They could have a larger turning radius under this scenario.........

Last edited by MonctonRad; Oct 21, 2017 at 1:58 PM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 5:50 PM

I don't get why they like those kiss you own ass off ramps here in NB especially places where there's room for a regular one.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 9:40 PM

From what I understand the McLaughlin exit is more of an emergency exit, by law they needed one in case the main entrance was unusable that's why they put the road all the way through to McLaughlin.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 9:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSoloCup View Post
From what I understand the McLaughlin exit is more of an emergency exit, by law they needed one in case the main entrance was unusable that's why they put the road all the way through to McLaughlin.
Understandable, but If Costco moves to the Elmwood Centre and if it is stuck at the wrong end of Granite Drive then it would make sense to upgrade the McLaughlin/Granite intersection and add an interchange onto the TCH.

To do otherwise will only invite traffic chaos.

If I were the Costco management team looking after this, I would demand an interchange onto the TCH.........

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
An Edmonton Costco fits nicely, if I got the 50m scale right..

Not sure if this design meets highway building setbacks. And if it does, I am assuming by looking at the topography of the site relative to the highway, they would need to build one massive retaining wall. The gas bar and store would be in essentially a hole, looking down on the roof top from the highway. The reason Costco does cheap gas is to increase their membership, as that is how they make money. This gas bar being of poor access may not accomplish their goals. In driving by Costco Saturday afternoon, I see no way how one entrance on Elmwood is going to work. Traffic will be backed up from the Elmwood Granite entrance to the Trans-Canada and pose a very serious traffic safety issue. And Costco will continue to lose out on maximizing business, the reason why they are moving, because people will continue to avoid traffic and go to Sobeys instead. They will also miss out in millions in sales do to spontaneous sales, namely when customers go to Trinity shopping retail node for other products, they often make a spontaneous unplanned trip to Costco. They would be better served staying where they are now and taking their time finding a much better site if the goal is to maximize sales over the next couple decades.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 12:50 PM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifyoubuildit View Post
They would be better served staying where they are now and taking their time finding a much better site if the goal is to maximize sales over the next couple decades.
Yeah, they should wait until the Vision Lands exit is built. Then they could be connected to Granite, Mapleton, and the extension through Wheeler to Vaughn Harvey to downtown.

Not sure how long they are going to have to wait though.

Last edited by riverviewer; Oct 22, 2017 at 1:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 2:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

To be fair though, it should be mentioned that the "vision lands exit" is purely speculative and an act of whimsy as occasionally happens here on SSP. There are no plans for this and it'll likely never happen, just as a possible McLaughlin/TCH interchange also is fanciful (although somewhat more likely, especially if Costco does open up in the Elmwood Centre).

I think it is inevitable though that at some point in the next 15-20 years that there will be direct road connections north of the TCH all the way from Magnetic Hill to the Caledonia Industrial Park. At that point, the TCH will be less of a bypass and more of a throughway........

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 6:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The name of the company building the new new refrigerated warehouse on Frenette is KelCold Cold Storage & Logistics Inc. It is indeed being build next to the entrance into the Kent Distribution Centre. It has an opening date of May 2018.

Photo from Mayor Dawn Arnold's FB page.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 7:20 PM

there doesn't seem to be much development planned on harrisville blvd around the new kents and the mariott.

i noticed a few signs that show for sale and a few for lease. i was hearing a few years back that this spot would develop big time but there hasn't been much except the widening of the bridge that's going on right now

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny2727 View Post
there doesn't seem to be much development planned on harrisville blvd around the new kents and the mariott.

i noticed a few signs that show for sale and a few for lease. i was hearing a few years back that this spot would develop big time but there hasn't been much except the widening of the bridge that's going on right now
not sure if it was approved, or not. But there where several planned neighborhoods/expansions in this area. none have seem to pan out, and everything planned seems to have gone abandonned. A lot of this happen around the realestate bubble burrsting so that might be why nothing is being done in the area.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 8:21 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
not sure if it was approved, or not. But there where several planned neighborhoods/expansions in this area. none have seem to pan out, and everything planned seems to have gone abandonned. A lot of this happen around the realestate bubble burrsting so that might be why nothing is being done in the area.
Most of the plans you’re talking about are master neighbourhood plans that were developed with the understanding they will take 10+ years to build out. Take a drive down Erinvale and see if it’s “abandoned”.....

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
Most of the plans you’re talking about are master neighbourhood plans that were developed with the understanding they will take 10+ years to build out. Take a drive down Erinvale and see if it’s “abandoned”.....
The Erinvale Area no. Its slowed to a crawl but still active but look NE of the Shediac Road/Harisville area East Street was suposed to be doubled in size, and the MacIntosh Blvd. Area has been stalled out right it seems. The rezoning of the Motor Inn land, or just construction there in General, and can forget on the SW side of Shediac/Harisville there was supose to be some residential expansion back in 05-06 Behind the Coreycraig group project. most of the projects where indeed 5 year, or even 10 year plans but have stalled in place altough 10 years havent passed I don't see any of the projects I've pointed getting started up at least not by the original planners maybe if new blood is brought in.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 12:46 PM

This image from Colliers shows the proposed alignement for a future Mclaughlin interchange. The eastbound overpass is already wide enough to accommodate 3 lanes so this has probably been the plan for a long time. Also interesting is the depiction of a large building closest to route 2; possibly Costco's location?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 2:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good pick-up NBNYer

Although a McLaughlin exit from the TCH has been a frequent point of discussion on the forum, this is actually the first documentary evidence that such an exit is actually planned.

I had actually mused about that sort of configuration for the westbound offramp from the TCH, but I am a little surprised at the proposed configuration for the eastbound on/off ramps to the TCH from McLaughlin. I think such a configuration may actually surround a couple of houses (if I am not mistaken). I can't imagine that being popular........

If Costco gets built in the Elmwood Centre (as seems increasingly obvious), then I am certain that construction of a new McLaughlin/TCH interchange will be expedited, and will happen synchronously with the extension of Granite Drive.........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces