Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 3:07 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

UPDATED 6:52 PM
No End In Sight To School Bus Strike
By: Lindsey Christ

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...ool-bus-strike

Quote:
Thousands of drivers and bus matrons hit the pickets lines while tens of thousands of students and their parents had to find new ways to get to school. NY1's Lindsey Christ filed the following report.

After the first day of the citywide school bus shutdown, Mayor Michael Bloomberg suggested life will go on even if the yellow buses do not.

"People are very creative and inventive and New Yorkers rise to whatever the challenge is," Bloomberg said. "It's not going to be easy for them but each day you should find more and more able to find some way to cope."

As nearly 9,000 bus drivers, chaperones and mechanics worked picket lines, demanding city contracts protect their seniority rights, City Hall used statistics to try to downplay the impact of their strike on the 152,000 students who lost bus service.

But when it comes to the students with disabilities, most of whom rely on yellow buses, attendance was actually down more than 40 percent. Fewer than half of them made it to school.

Students shouldn't expect their rides to return anytime soon. City Hall's message after day one of the strike was that there is no end in sight.

"I hope this does not last a long time but it's not going to last more than June because that's the end of the school year," Bloomberg said.

The mayor said that because the bus drivers work for private contractors, the city can't interfere in their negotiations. But the union says only Bloomberg can get the buses going again.

"Mayor Bloomberg, Chancellor Walcott please come negotiate with us. Put the EPP's back in the bid," said Michael Cordiello, president of the striking union, Amalgamated Transportation Union Local 1181. "Protect the workers that have the experience. Protect the children of New York, you can do it. Please come forward and end the strike, it's in your hands."

But the mayor washed his hands of responsibility, saying public employees and taxpayers are his concern. He said, if need be, students will get new bus drivers and chaperones -- and they'll learn to live with it.

Union Members Rally Outside Brooklyn Bus Depot
Drivers, matrons and mechanics have been rallying at a bus depot in East New York since 6 a.m. Wednesday -- a new shift of protesters was set to arrive around 12 hours after the first group showed up.

The Amalgamated Transportation Union Local 1181 members and their supporters, many of whom have been on the job for a decade or more, say they will stick it out until their demands for job security are met.

"You got thousands of drivers right now that are worried they're going to lose their mortgages, they're going to lose everything," bus driver Henry Jean-Louis said. "The mayor's got something coming to him. We are going to get what we want and what we need -- what we have to have."

Many protesters say they have mixed feelings about the protest. They feel bad for the children they serve, but they also feel that a strike is the only way to have their demands met.

Parents Find New Ways To Get Kids To School
Meantime, parents will be forced to use public transportation, taxis, their own cars or carpools to get their kids to class.

All students affected by the strike were given MetroCards that expire on June 26, the last day of the school year.

And parents of young children can get MetroCards from the school, but those may only work on the subway today as buses have not yet been programmed to accept them.

That should be done by tomorrow.

Parents will also be reimbursed 55 cents for every mile put on their cars if they drive their kids, or for the cost of livery cabs or taxis by submitting receipts.

For more information about which buses are running - or reimbursement procedures - go to the city's website, nyc.gov.

© 1999-2012 NY1 News and Time Warner Cable Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 6:39 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

ugh!

South Ferry subway repairs could take 3 years, cost $600M

Last Updated: 7:57 AM, January 18, 2013

Fixing all the damage inflicted on the South Street subway station by Superstorm Sandy may take up to three years.

Last month, the MTA said the repairs would take at least a year.

But on Thursday, the agency said it estimates that fully restoring the station would take much longer and cost $600 million.

That includes $350 million for physical repairs; $200 million for signal replacement; $30 million for third-rail equipment and $20 million for line equipment.

The South Ferry subway station, at Manhattan's southern tip, was inundated with water up to its ceiling during the storm.

The No. 1 train station underwent a $545 million renovation and expansion in 2009.

The station is a major conduit to the Staten Island and Liberty Island ferries.

http://m.nypost.com/p/news/local/man...slB4kNxOlkhRKL

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 7:02 PM
World Machine

That's a real shame! What can you do though . . .

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 7:54 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

1:37 PM
Delta Plans Soaring Views At New JFK Terminal
By: NY1 News

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...w-jfk-terminal

Quote:
John F. Kennedy International Airport will soon offer some unique views for some of its travelers.

Delta Airlines plans to open an outdoor terrace with sweeping runway views at its new Terminal 4, now under construction.

The Sky Deck will be open to the airline's Sky Club Members.

The new terminal is expected to open in May.

© 1999-2013 NY1 News and Time Warner Cable Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 8:03 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

These were first installed during the Ed Koch era

9:57 AM
City's No Honking Signs Make Quiet Exit

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...ake-quiet-exit

Quote:
The city may be giving up the fight against horn honking.

Department of Transportation crews have been removing signs that warn drivers against unnecessary honking.

The $350 fine is still on the books but the law is so rarely enforced the city has decided to remove the signs in an effort to reduce clutter.

A spokesman for the DOT says 311 complaints about unnecessary honking have decreased by 63 percent over the last five years.

Last edited by NYC4Life; Jan 29, 2013 at 8:04 PM. Reason: These were first installed during the Ed Koch era

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
That's a real shame! What can you do though . . .
Yeah, I really liked the connected Whitehall/South Ferry station complex being able to transfer from the R to the 1 and vice-versa.

I hope they do bring it back but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 2:58 PM

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 8:23 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

10:44 AM
City Celebrates 100 Years Of Grand Central Terminal

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...ntral-terminal

Quote:
It will be a grand celebration today as the iconic Grand Central Terminal celebrates its 100th birthday in style.

Today marks 100 years to the day when the keys to Grand Central were first given to the station master in 1913.

A full day of events will mark the centennial with a brass band, dancing and historic displays inside the landmarked Beaux Arts building.

Some of the businesses inside the terminal are rolling back their prices today.

You can get a 10 cent shoeshine and a 19 cent slice of cheesecake at the Oyster Bar.

Caroline Kennedy is among those expected to speak today.

It was Kennedy's mother, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, who spearheaded efforts to save Grand Central from the wrecking ball in the 1970s.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 8:50 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

12:52 PM
Manhattan Water Main Break Disrupts N, Q, R Service

http://www.ny1.com/content/transit/1...--q--r-service

Quote:
Crews in Manhattan are working to repair a water main break that has disrupted subway service since this morning.

It happened at Broadway and East 23rd Street.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority says N and Q trains are not running in both directions between the DeKalb Avenue and 57th Street-7th Avenue Stations.

There is also no R train service in both directions between Queens Plaza Station and Whitehall Street Station.

MTA officials expect service to resume sometime this afternoon.

The cause of the water main break was not immediately known.

For the latest transit updates, visit mta.info.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 11:24 PM
Show me the blueprints

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 4:16 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

did i just read yet another proposal to expand the 7 train to nj somewhere? cant find it. railway age maybe??

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 6:59 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
did i just read yet another proposal to expand the 7 train to nj somewhere? cant find it. railway age maybe??
I think thats dead for now and for the decade , the big push is for the Gateway which is badly needed....

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 1:35 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

found it -- the 7 train extension to nj is being promoted by realtors:

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/...ew-jersey.html

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
found it -- the 7 train extension to nj is being promoted by realtors:

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/...ew-jersey.html
Typical stupid , blood/money thirsty realtors.... Build the Gateway Project and shut up about NYC , NJ needs to focus on improving neglected Urban Jersey not giving Suburban commuters an easier ride to the city.....or pandering to the NJ Gold Coast....

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Typical stupid , blood/money thirsty realtors.... Build the Gateway Project and shut up about NYC , NJ needs to focus on improving neglected Urban Jersey not giving Suburban commuters an easier ride to the city.....or pandering to the NJ Gold Coast....
The NJ vs NY mentality is increasingly pointless as the metro expands. Availability of transit is going to be a huge deciding factor as to where the growth will happen in the coming decades and NJ has long been falling behind. Between the Port Authority's handling of PATH and NJT's near total incompetence areas served by the MTA are already more attractive. Multiply this by a factor of ten when the ESA opens and MNRR starts running into Penn.

The fact is that NJ has failed to truly invest in keeping itself connected to the largest employment center in the country. The uncaring attitude from NJT following Sandy is making things even worse. This will not bring success for urban NJ.

Gateway would solve may of these issues but it isn't designed or funded so you're talking about 10-15 years to get it operating at this point if the money can even be gotten from the Feds. If the only real near term option on the table is an MTA 7 extension NJ should push for it to go all the way to downtown Newark to get the most benefit.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
The NJ vs NY mentality is increasingly pointless as the metro expands. Availability of transit is going to be a huge deciding factor as to where the growth will happen in the coming decades and NJ has long been falling behind. Between the Port Authority's handling of PATH and NJT's near total incompetence areas served by the MTA are already more attractive. Multiply this by a factor of ten when the ESA opens and MNRR starts running into Penn.

The fact is that NJ has failed to truly invest in keeping itself connected to the largest employment center in the country. The uncaring attitude from NJT following Sandy is making things even worse. This will not bring success for urban NJ.

Gateway would solve may of these issues but it isn't designed or funded so you're talking about 10-15 years to get it operating at this point if the money can even be gotten from the Feds. If the only real near term option on the table is an MTA 7 extension NJ should push for it to go all the way to downtown Newark to get the most benefit.
Secaucus is a wetland for the most part , a dying town....most bussineses are moving to Newark. Its not a NY & NJ Mentality , it doesn't make sense other then to service the Real Estate people and to Newark would be a stretch as most of the route is protected wetlands. The Gateway would solve all the issues as it would allow for NJT to expand the Regional and Inner Urban Rail Network..... The 7 would not allow the Regional Rail to be expanded.... NJT may have had an uncaring attitude , but the MTA is no angel when it comes to big storms Irene was a huge mess and left numerous trains damaged and the Blizzard of 2010 brought the system to its knees. The PATH learned its lesson , and its rolling stock wasn't damaged , it like South Ferry and the Subway system were flooded the different being the PATH is smaller and access points are tricky...but its fully up and running. PATH and NJT have gotten themselves under control in the last 2 years while the MTA is a runaway financial train , hikes every year....bad maintenance to trains and stations.....things NJT and PATH do very well.

Getting back to the Gateway Project its not just tunnels , its replacing Bridges an Interchange and the Newark Approaches....so its not just a small tunnel replacement but a larger regional project that has gained some steam engineering wise due to Sandy...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Secaucus is a wetland for the most part , a dying town....most bussineses are moving to Newark. Its not a NY & NJ Mentality , it doesn't make sense other then to service the Real Estate people and to Newark would be a stretch as most of the route is protected wetlands. The Gateway would solve all the issues as it would allow for NJT to expand the Regional and Inner Urban Rail Network..... The 7 would not allow the Regional Rail to be expanded.... NJT may have had an uncaring attitude , but the MTA is no angel when it comes to big storms Irene was a huge mess and left numerous trains damaged and the Blizzard of 2010 brought the system to its knees. The PATH learned its lesson , and its rolling stock wasn't damaged , it like South Ferry and the Subway system were flooded the different being the PATH is smaller and access points are tricky...but its fully up and running. PATH and NJT have gotten themselves under control in the last 2 years while the MTA is a runaway financial train , hikes every year....bad maintenance to trains and stations.....things NJT and PATH do very well.

Getting back to the Gateway Project its not just tunnels , its replacing Bridges an Interchange and the Newark Approaches....so its not just a small tunnel replacement but a larger regional project that has gained some steam engineering wise due to Sandy...
Not withstanding the other things in your post I don't agree with...Gateway isn't going to be completed anytime soon. There is no design, there is no money, and in the current political climate not enough will. I fully understand the benefits of the proposal but that alone doesn't improve it's chances of seeing service. I would like to see it done but I'm not holding my breath and if NY wants to do a project with NJ to bring in the 7 I don't see why people should stand in the way.

On second thought...never mind. If this happened I'd actually have to consider moving our business to Newark instead of Long Island City/Sunnyside.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Not withstanding the other things in your post I don't agree with...Gateway isn't going to be completed anytime soon. There is no design, there is no money, and in the current political climate not enough will. I fully understand the benefits of the proposal but that alone doesn't improve it's chances of seeing service. I would like to see it done but I'm not holding my breath and if NY wants to do a project with NJ to bring in the 7 I don't see why people should stand in the way.

On second thought...never mind. If this happened I'd actually have to consider moving our business to Newark instead of Long Island City/Sunnyside.
Your right....its silly to argue or something that has a small chance of happening... Its Interesting you would chose Newark instead of Long Island City , is that due to the flooding.... Newark , Downtown Brooklyn and Midtown are the only flood proof CBDs in the region....

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 6:26 AM

Secaucus isn't wetlands. The part near the station is an expressway, a TOD that's inexplicably on the wrong side of the expressway, a railyard, truck docks, and light industry. Of the four quarters around Secaucus bounded by the NEC and the Erie line, only the southwestern one is wetlands.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alon View Post
Secaucus isn't wetlands. The part near the station is an expressway, a TOD that's inexplicably on the wrong side of the expressway, a railyard, truck docks, and light industry. Of the four quarters around Secaucus bounded by the NEC and the Erie line, only the southwestern one is wetlands.
You still shouldn't be encouraging to build things there , Sandy flooded that area by 5 feet of water..... That area aside from the weird TOD is dying all the Industrial and what remains of the corporate jobs are moving to Newark same with Metropark.... The area to South is being turned into a wetland/Protected park.... Sandy was a huge scare to most , who are now looking to move , and it did give the Gateway Project is boost due to the Damaged Kearny JCT substation and highlighting the Portal Bridge Age and vulnerability...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation