HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 7:18 PM
xzmattzx's Avatar
xzmattzx xzmattzx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 5,678
Longmont, CO: Downtown

Longmont is a city and home rule municipality in Boulder County, about 30 miles north of Denver, and is part of the urban Front Range Corridor. The population is around 100,000.

Longmont was developed by the Chicago-Colorado Company in 1871, which envisioned an agricultural utopia where colonists would farm the land and share the benefits of their work. The community was a center for sugar beets and peas. By the 1960s, agriculture was replaced by the technology industry, beginning with IBM arriving in 1965. Longmont also functions as a gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park.

In the 1980s, Longmont began investing in Downtown. Today, Downtown is a healthy neighborhood with many restaurants, coffee shops, brewpubs, and boutique stores.


A brewery at Main Street & 6th Avenue. The brewery is housed in the William Lugg Building, built in 1918, and was a car dealership for decades.



The old Post Office, at Main Street & 3rd Avenue. The structure was built in 1905.



The Longmont Civic Center, on Kimbark Street. The strucutre was built in 1975.



The Longmont Development Services Center, on Kimbark Street. The structure was built in 1927 as a service shop.



A building on 4th Avenue.



The Central Presbyterian Church, on Kimbark Street. The church was built in 1905.



Longmont Safety & Justice Center, at the foot of Kimbark Street. The structure was built in 1993.



A building at 3rd Avenue & Main Street.



Buildings on Main Street. On the left is the Neeley Block, built in 1918.



A building on Main Street, built in 1907.



The old Trojan Theater, on Main Street. The theater was built in 1939, and is now a performing arts center.



Buildings on Main Street.



St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, on Main Street. The church was built in 1881, and closed in 1972.



A building at 5th Avenue & Main Street.



The Hansen Building, on Main Street at 6th Avenue. The structure was built in 1904, and was originally the Longmont Telephone Exchange building.



A building on Main Street, built in 1916.



The Dickens Opera House, on Main Street. The structure was built in 1881.



The Burlington Depot, on Main Street at 2nd Avenue. The train station was built in 1900, and is now a liquor store.



The old Imperial Hotel, at Main Street & 3rd Avenue. The structure was built in 1880.



The Percy Hamm House, on 3rd Avenue. The house was built in 1906.



The Dr. John Andrew House, on 3rd Avenue. The house was built in 1907.



First Evangelical Lutheran Church, on 3rd Avenue. The church was built in 1938.



The Thomas Callahan House, on Terry Street. The house was built in 1892.



A house on 3rd Avenue.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 3:13 AM
kcexpress69's Avatar
kcexpress69 kcexpress69 is offline
Beer Stampede
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Metro KCMO
Posts: 2,251
Very nice. I visited there about 20 years ago on my way to the mountains.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 4:31 AM
xzmattzx's Avatar
xzmattzx xzmattzx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 5,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcexpress69 View Post
Very nice. I visited there about 20 years ago on my way to the mountains.
Same here. This was my home base while I explored Rocky Mountain N.P. and Estes Park.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 5:56 PM
IWant2BeInSTL IWant2BeInSTL is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: STL ---> NY ---> STL ---> VA ---> CO ---> STL
Posts: 1,135
while living in Boulder for a couple of years I got the impression that Longmont had become the more affordable alternative to Boulder. lots of Boulder <---> Longmont commuters. not sure if that's the case anymore.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 7:49 PM
mr1138 mr1138 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
while living in Boulder for a couple of years I got the impression that Longmont had become the more affordable alternative to Boulder. lots of Boulder <---> Longmont commuters. not sure if that's the case anymore.
This is exactly right. It's a (slightly) more affordable place to live for those who work or go to school in Boulder. I lived in Longmont for about 5 years while going to CU. The highway to Boulder becomes a virtual parking lot each morning and evening rush-hour as around 30,000 people commute to and from Boulder, turning what is normally a 10-20 minute drive into a 30-60 min commute.

The only thing I'd add is that it isn't much of an "alternative" to Boulder so much as it is a very nice mid-sized American city with access to Boulder's job market. The vibe in Longmont is VERY different - it feels more like a nice town you might find in the midwest, but lacks Boulder's one-of-a-kind mix of access to hiking and youthful college-culture. This is the natural outgrowth of Boulder's strong job market and housing supply shortage - some people may choose Longmont for its more laid-back, conservative vibe, but for others it is a purely economic necessity.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 12:29 AM
IWant2BeInSTL IWant2BeInSTL is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: STL ---> NY ---> STL ---> VA ---> CO ---> STL
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
The only thing I'd add is that it isn't much of an "alternative" to Boulder so much as it is a very nice mid-sized American city with access to Boulder's job market.
yeah, not saying Boulder is better. just meant a more affordable alternative real-estate-wise. at this point, though, i doubt real estate is much cheaper in Longmont.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 3:54 AM
xzmattzx's Avatar
xzmattzx xzmattzx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 5,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
This is exactly right. It's a (slightly) more affordable place to live for those who work or go to school in Boulder. I lived in Longmont for about 5 years while going to CU. The highway to Boulder becomes a virtual parking lot each morning and evening rush-hour as around 30,000 people commute to and from Boulder, turning what is normally a 10-20 minute drive into a 30-60 min commute.

The only thing I'd add is that it isn't much of an "alternative" to Boulder so much as it is a very nice mid-sized American city with access to Boulder's job market. The vibe in Longmont is VERY different - it feels more like a nice town you might find in the midwest, but lacks Boulder's one-of-a-kind mix of access to hiking and youthful college-culture. This is the natural outgrowth of Boulder's strong job market and housing supply shortage - some people may choose Longmont for its more laid-back, conservative vibe, but for others it is a purely economic necessity.
Are there any plans to widen the road between Longmont and Boulder?

I kind of got the feel that Longmont a little Midwestern feel. If you couldn't see those mountains just west of town, you could probably convince someone that the town was in Nebraska or Kansas.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 12:00 AM
mr1138 mr1138 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
yeah, not saying Boulder is better. just meant a more affordable alternative real-estate-wise. at this point, though, i doubt real estate is much cheaper in Longmont.
Well - as somebody who grew up in Boulder, I WOULD say that Boulder is better. Boulder is just extremely one-of-a-kind - though admittedly may not be everyone's taste given its extremely liberal culture, NIMBYist tendencies, and rapidly increasing cost of living. Longmont feels more down-to-earth, and like xzmattzx says, feels like it could be in Nebraska were it not for the mountain view in the distance.

Zillow says that Longmont's typical home value is currently around $428,000 and Boulder's is around $781,000 - so while not cheap, it is still a big difference. Many renters would find Boulder to be completely cost prohibitive without sharing with many roommates or moving into a co-op or something. Of course Longmont isn't the only bedroom community nearby - the northwest Denver suburbs also serve that purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Are there any plans to widen the road between Longmont and Boulder?

I kind of got the feel that Longmont a little Midwestern feel. If you couldn't see those mountains just west of town, you could probably convince someone that the town was in Nebraska or Kansas.
I just checked on the status of the Highway 119 BRT study. It looks like they are currently talking about adding "managed lanes." Presumably these would look like every other highway in Colorado with regional bus routes allowed along with HOV3+ and vehicles willing to pay a demand-based toll. The City of Boulder has some pretty firm modal-shift goals in the Transportation Master Plan that preclude it from endorsing any new general-purpose automobile lanes being added anywhere in town.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 12:25 AM
geomorph's Avatar
geomorph geomorph is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Newport Beach
Posts: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post

The old Trojan Theater, on Main Street. The theater was built in 1939, and is now a performing arts center.


Every city needs one of these streamline moderne theaters! This one looks well-kept.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:39 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.