HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 5:20 AM

so.. friggin... perfect...
new york's skyline is already perfect... although with every new tower it becomes more perfect...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdrummer82 View Post
Pictures do NOT do this justice. This building is so impressive in person.

Agreed...it's really something that needs to be seen in person to truly appreciate. I remember thinking that this was going to be another boring midtown box notable solely for its height, but it's actually quite stunning in its simplicity. I once imagined it would be something akin to the twin towers on a diet, but wow, was I ever wrong.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 2:47 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 8:01 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Is the glass going up on the Park Avenue retail portion frosted, or is that just a protective film?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 12:20 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Probably not permanent.

lucasncm

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 4:01 AM
Astorian

December 26th, 2014

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLuver View Post
December 26th, 2014

where is this shot taken, maybe like 30th st at um maybe west side hwy? I cant fully wrap my head around it i see BOA and NYT Tower , thanks

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 6:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
where is this shot taken, maybe like 30th st at um maybe west side hwy? I cant fully wrap my head around it i see BOA and NYT Tower , thanks
It's from the Hudson Yards site I assume. You can see the vent building for the 7 train extension on the lower right of the picture. I'm not sure the exact street address, but you could Google it pretty easily.

EDIT: Off the high line portion north of 30th street a fair ways back from 10 Hudson Yards which should be just off the frame to the right.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 6:33 PM

^ Looks like 38th and 10th.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 9:28 PM
Astorian

It was around 31st street and on the new part of the Highline Park. The portion that swoops around the train yards. See below: (Didn't include this photo originally because I wasn't happy with the way it came out, a bit blurry. )

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 12:13 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 2:09 AM

So simple, so tall, so awesome!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 6:26 AM

Eh I don't like it. No grace.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 10:28 AM

thanks guys

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 11:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Dec 28, 2014 at 11:28 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Can someone please tell me what that building is thats being under construction right next to the Silver Towers? I've been searching for a while now in the diagrams, but I can't find it

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boinator200 View Post
Can someone please tell me what that building is thats being under construction right next to the Silver Towers? I've been searching for a while now in the diagrams, but I can't find it
While you're at it, what's that lighted blue building to the left of 432? I was in NYC last winter and was really surprised by it, only because I hadn't heard of it before. I think it's a hotel, can't remember.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 5:49 PM

^^ Atelier II (605 w 42nd) and 1717 Broadway.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
^^ Atelier II (605 w 42nd) and 1717 Broadway.
The relative size of the cranes in this pic between Atelier II and 432 Park gives some sense of just how freaking tall 432 Park is. Either that or 432 Park is using a really tiny crane.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 6:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boinator200 View Post
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=150054

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevininPhx View Post
While you're at it, what's that lighted blue building to the left of 432? I was in NYC last winter and was really surprised by it, only because I hadn't heard of it before. I think it's a hotel, can't remember.
http://skyscrapercenter.com/new-york...tral-park/9786

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=184220

They're rehashing this, a topic that was discussed years ago, but hasn't and likely won't change...

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...ity-navigation

The Real Reason You Get Lost in New York City

By Patrick Clark
December 29, 2014

Quote:
A soon-to-be completed Manhattan high-rise, 432 Park Avenue, is already known for its height (at 1,396 feet, it's the island's tallest building) and its outlandish prices (the cheapest available unit on the building's website is a two-bedroom for $16.95 million). Once the building is done, it may have another distinguishing feature: an address that confuses cabdrivers, postal workers, delivery people, and anyone else navigating the city streets.

That's because 432 Park Avenue isn't really on Park Avenue. The building's southern face, where residents are likely to enter, is on 56th Street, about 150 feet from the corner of the famed boulevard. The tower also borders 57th Street, where a chic shirt maker and an auction house lie between 432 Park (the building) and Park Avenue (the actual avenue). So what exactly determines a luxury skyscraper's name?

Addresses are "essential to navigating any city," and should "make finding specific buildings and entrances as easy as possible," states a New York City document describing the process of assigning street numbers. But an address can also function as a brand name. "People want to tell their friends and family they're buying on Park Avenue," says Andy Gerringer, managing director at Marketing Directors, a New York-based real estate consultancy. "It goes along with the glitz and glamor of the building." (Neither the developer, Macklowe Properties, nor Michael Tavani, the press contact for 432 Park Avenue, responded to queries for this story.)

In a nod to developers, the city allows building owners who provide cogent rationale and an $11,000 processing fee to obtain a vanity address. Apartment buyers will pay a premium for the privilege. A dwelling with a Park Avenue address is often worth 5 percent to 10 percent more than a comparable apartment on a nearby side street, says Jonathan Miller, president of appraiser Miller Samuel. That makes the city's processing fee an outright bargain. "Name another thing you can get on a development project that you can get for $11,000," Miller says.

To balance the needs of developers and, say, cabbies, the borough president's office asks applicants seeking vanity addresses to explain why they want to break from the status quo. Buildings with frontage on multiple streets are often granted an address that doesn't correspond to its entrance. (That criterion likely applies to 432 Park, whose lot borders Park Avenue at the corner of 56th Street.) Structures that border notable areas—Lincoln Center or Penn Station, for example—can also apply. Vanity addresses "must avoid creating confusion as to a building's location," according to the city document describing the process.

Anecdotal evidence suggests office buildings are as likely to request vanity addresses as residential developments. Notable examples include One Bryant Park, where Bank of America bases its New York operations, and 200 West St., which Goldman Sachs calls home. Then there's the rat's nest of addresses that use Times Square in lieu of a street name. Those buildings, which house commercial tenants, are particularly tough to find because their numbers give little clue to their respective locations, says Anthony Borelli, vice president of planning and development at Edison Properties.

Borelli should know: From 2006 to 2011, he was responsible for approving vanity addresses as the director of land use and urban planning for the Manhattan Borough President's office. "I remember when I first took the job, I said I can't believe we have to do this stuff," he says. Not that vetting vanities is particularly taxing. The historical record is spotty, but a spokesman for the borough president's office says that Manhattan granted five requests this year and six in 2013.

Still, a city official will occasionally rail against the vanity system. In 1988, the general counsel for the Manhattan borough president told the New York Times that his boss, the future mayor David Dinkins, had decided "that changing addresses was not a gift that we should bestow indiscriminately" to developers. Current borough president Gail Brewer says her office is working on a more effective system. "It's both a public safety issue and an issue of sheer logic that addresses on New York's streetscapes make sense," she adds.

Those comments are tame compared with the situation in Chicago, where local officials have been railing against—and occasionally banning—vanity addresses at least as far back as 1987. That year, an office worker died in a fire at 1 Illinois Center, a vanity address on East Wacker Drive, after emergency responders failed to find the burning building.

In New York, Brewer's desire to improve the system is a timely one. Record land prices are leading developers to squeeze value out of new projects anywhere they can, Miller says. And the importance of foreign buyers to the high-end residential market may increase developers' desire for addresses with some global recognition. Gerringer, the marketing consultant, says some developers have even been trying to get the lucky number eight into addresses to appeal to Chinese buyers.

Nancy Lerner, president of Chicago-based branding firm Otherwise, says she encourages real estate clients to be creative when naming buildings, and think beyond famed streets or landmarks. "It's about believing you have a piece of architecture that's going to have a lasting effect on the urban landscape," she says. Still, she concedes that developers who want to get a building sold fast will likely resort to that old real estate cliché. "The notion is that address is tied to location," she says, "and location is paramount to importance."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive