HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 5:36 PM

Smile NEW YORK | Edgemere Commons | 153 FT | 17 BLDGS

Thanks to YIMBY for breaking the news!

Quote:
Massive 2,200-Unit Redevelopment Revealed For Former Peninsula Hospital In Queens Redevelopments with thousands of residential units aren’t particularly common in New York City, however, the past several months have brought proposals for such projects to ULURP from several locations, including the tentative 1,642-unit expansion of Lenox Terrace, in Harlem. Today, YIMBY has the first look at plans for 2,200 new units proposed for the former Peninsula Hospital site, in Edgemere, Queens.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 7:55 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Mods, can we rename thread:

NEW YORK | Former Peninsula Hospital Site (Queens) | 75 to 153 FT | 17 BLDGS (2,200 units)

And also include the " " in the front.

12 of these buildings classify as high rises. The rest, mid-rises.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 5:25 AM
New Yorker for life

More development in an underdeveloped area, and the city needs more affordable units. I just wish it weren't as far out (transportation-wise).

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 12:06 PM

Modern day housing projects with similar surface parking lots just like the mid-century Moses versions. These will be crime-filled and rundown in no time.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Modern day housing projects with similar surface parking lots just like the mid-century Moses versions. These will be crime-filled and rundown in no time.
There are no parking lots in this development, this development is private sector, not NYCHA (NYCHA has absolutely nothing to do with this), and NYCHA has never been particularly crime-filled or rundown.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 2:23 PM
Show me the blueprints

Loving the density. Hope this happens.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 5:21 AM

Quote:
?

Are you looking at the same thing everyone else is. Where do you see the surface parking lots? EDIT- Correction, I count about 48 spaces in the plans NYGuy posted, but those strike me more as temporary/visitor parking, which is not bad when the development of 2,200 units!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 1:54 PM
Show me the blueprints

^Yeah this isn't even on the same planet as midcentury towers-in-park housing dev's... I'm not sure what antinimby is concerned with here, this project is awesome!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^Yeah this isn't even on the same planet as midcentury towers-in-park housing dev's... I'm not sure what antinimby is concerned with here, this project is awesome!
An all affordable project just means this will have all the same elements and problems as the housing projects.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 6:19 AM

This project isn't nycha. The problem with housing projects- in addition to their inherent form which enables crime, is that there isn't a enough of a revenue stream to upkeep buildings/units.

Generally agree though, I think it's good to have a mixture of market rate and affordable units, and for nycha projects they should all be pursuing mixed n market rate housing on their lots to pay for their own upkeep, but this won't be a 'modern housing project'.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
This project isn't nycha. The problem with housing projects- in addition to their inherent form which enables crime, is that there isn't a enough of a revenue stream to upkeep buildings/units.

Generally agree though, I think it's good to have a mixture of market rate and affordable units, and for nycha projects they should all be pursuing mixed n market rate housing on their lots to pay for their own upkeep, but this won't be a 'modern housing project'.
They don’t have to be NYCHA to achieve a similar outcome. Add in the poor and somewhat desolate neighborhood (yes I know there are subways here) this is in and there’s no way these buildings don’t end up with a housing project feel, i.e. rundown and dangerous.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 2:10 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Do you guys really think these will become housing projects akin to the Moses era projects?

Have you seen the affordable projects rising in the city lately or the ones recently built? They are not housing projects with a ghetto vibe as some of you think this will manifest into. Definitely not the Marcy Projects or the Red Hook houses.

There is a housing lottery btw.

The main idea is to build enough supply to cater to various income groups. There are ranges. In theory, you can make a household income of 80-120k and qualify for affordable housing. This will not be a refugee camp for poverty.

The problem with the crappy odds for the lottery stems to not having enough supply.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 4:57 PM

I know people who have bought in private condo buildings who either they themselves live in or rent out. The universal agreement is that renters do not care for the apartments/buildings like owners do. I see it myself all the time. Keep in mind these are market rate (i.e. expensive) NYC apartments.

If that is true for expensive apartments, there is absolutely no doubt in mind that whatever new shiny building the lower income folks move into, it will be treated much, much worse. We are talking about entire buildings in a whole complex in an entire neighborhood that are almost all lower income. When you have nothing but low income people living together, things will only deteriorate.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 1:16 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
An all affordable project just means this will have all the same elements and problems as the housing projects.
Not the same thing at all. "Affordable" housing is just another way of saying it's based on income levels - and that level varies, it doesn't necessarily mean all on the low end, as it would have to be for a housing authority building.

And btw, being at the low end of the income scale doesn't automatically equate to "problems".

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 2:00 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

A development like this is good for millennials. So I agree low income doesn't result in problems.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 3:12 PM

Millennials will not be going here. LOL.

And yes, my point is that mixed income is better.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 4:14 PM
Show me the blueprints

Yes , not a single person born between the years 1981 and 2000 will live in this development. Not one. Sure.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 5:56 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Just some info: Sources numbered below. Also an FAQ. For affordable units, not market-rate units.

= = = = = = =

How does the affordable housing lottery work?

Quote:
Once applications are gathered, those that qualify are put in random order and given a log number. From there, the city Department of Housing Preservation and Development and its partners begin the selection process based on the order of the log numbers.

Although the randomized log number system is set up to assure fairness, there are some application preferences that exist, including persons with disabilities or impairments, residents who currently live in that building’s community board and municipal employees. Sometimes an individual building might have other preferences such as veterans or senior citizens.
What are the qualifications for the lottery?

Quote:
Qualifications vary for each affordable housing lottery. For example, a lottery for apartments at 325 Kent Ave. in Williamsburg required that a single person applicant for a studio earned between $21,772 and $25,400 a year. Meanwhile, a single person applicant for a studio at Five Blue Slip in neighboring Greenpoint had to make between $13,955 and $19,050 a year. Each housing lottery’s qualifications can be found on the NYC Housing Connect website under the Housing List section.
1) FAQ: https://a806-housingconnect.nyc.gov/...ttery.html#faq
2) amny

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Yes , not a single person born between the years 1981 and 2000 will live in this development. Not one. Sure.
Don’t be a wise ass. Everyone knows that the millenials we are talking about are the yuppie types that live in Williamsburg and such. You will not find any going to Edgemere Queens. They generally don’t even go further than Park Slope / Prospect Park or Sunnyside Queens let alone the Rockaways.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 8:30 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
^^^ I would have to disagree

Millennials don't actually identify with places themselves as much as they identify with certain *types* of places... if this development is affordable (relative to other places in the city) and if it can attract some businesses and nightlife into the surrounding neighborhood, then young people will flock to it. The fact that its in Rockaway doesn't matter all that much.

Millennials will live wherever strikes the sweet spot of affordability/density/interesting neighborhood, whether its in Williamsburg, Rockaway, or freaking Boise Idaho. This development has the density.. and the affordability... so its only a matter of what ends up happening in the surroundings that will make or break this for younger people.

If you're judging the area by how it is right now then I might agree with you.. but I'm willing to bet that this development may cause a positive-feedback-loop of development there, because of the sheer scale of this

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction