HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 5:14 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Yeah, Cleveland has a very sizable Jewish community and almost all concentrated in a cluster of eastern suburbs.

Cleveland Heights and University City seem like sister cities to me.
university heights. its all about the heights around cleveland. in those cases the former is bigger and the latter is more jewish (although its home to a very good catholic college, john carroll, go figure).

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 5:18 PM

Quote:
How about Scarsdale? I'm guessing the 40-50% range.
I'm not confident any Westchester community is majority Jewish, because Westchester doesn't have a ton of Orthodox, with their residential requirements. That said, Scarsdale, Armonk and Rye Brook would probably be the best candidates. I would guess, yeah around 40-50%.

Pretty much every mid-Westchester community has some Jewish population, though. I'm not sure if any community is less than, say, 15% Jewish.

And there's an Orthodox enclave in New Rochelle, which is majority Jewish, but New Rochelle overall isn't super-heavy Jewish.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 5:28 PM

This is Wykagel, in New Rochelle, which is, I believe, the only Orthodox community in Westchester. Just eyeballing the businesses, it's nothing like a Five Towns in terms of Jewish concentration and observance.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9468...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 5:31 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Yeah, Cleveland has a very sizable Jewish community and almost all concentrated in a cluster of eastern suburbs.

Cleveland Heights and University City seem like sister cities to me.
hah. yeah, i think you're right. funny, they seem remarkably similar. that cleveland eruv is laid over a similar set of neighborhoods, essentially. the looming presence of downtown clayton in the middle of the st. louis eruv probably tweaks things a bit but overall there's something similar going on.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 5:43 PM

hah, there's even a deweys pizza that looks the same! i live right by the one in university city...

cleveland heights
https://goo.gl/maps/qENU9PcxGrR2

university city
https://goo.gl/maps/5pH432TAc5r

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 5:45 PM

gets even wierder that there's a place called momo's across the street from both...the university city one is across the intersection, and that there's a similar boiled crawfish place in both suburbs. let me guess, it's run by a vietnamese family....

it's like bizarro suburbs. i'm afraid a rip in space-time will open if i keep looking at cleveland heights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
university heights. its all about the heights around cleveland. in those cases the former is bigger and the latter is more jewish (although its home to a very good catholic college, john carroll, go figure).
the poster was comparing cleveland heights to university city (st. louis), which apparently is apt. university city has washington university, hence the university part, but it's a matter of core city boundaries (case western reserve is right there) because otherwise it's a remarkably similar geography.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 5:51 PM
sick transit, gloria

Well that is just weird. Maybe the Silicon Valley techbros are right about living in a simulation!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
And there's an Orthodox enclave in New Rochelle, which is majority Jewish, but New Rochelle overall isn't super-heavy Jewish.
Though New Rochelle was the "Jewish suburb" in Westchester after WWII.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 12:34 AM

Has anybody mentioned my home town of Silver Spring, MD (a DC suburb) or the Park Heights neighborhood of Baltimore? The latter even has a movie about it:

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Has anybody mentioned my home town of Silver Spring, MD (a DC suburb) or the Park Heights neighborhood of Baltimore?
I have.

The little Orthodox enclave of Kemp Mill, Silver Spring is the most visibly Jewish area in the DC area.

Montgomery County as a whole though has a very sizable Jewish population. I think the population has shifted from being centered in Silver Spring to Bethesda/Chevy Chase in the last few decades.

Last edited by Docere; Feb 1, 2018 at 1:30 AM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 2:00 AM
Crisp and Squishy

Shanghai's Tilanqiao area is the site of the former Jewish ghetto during the war (the city's lax to non-existent visa policies appealed to Jews fleeing Europe). Despite the Jewish residents being long gone, the buildings still stand and are preserved as an historical site:

https://ssl.c.photoshelter.com/img-g...hanghai003.jpg

http://www.youngchinabiz.com/wp-cont...useum-2015.jpg

http://www.milwaukeeindependent.com/...gkew_Getto.jpg

https://ssl.c.photoshelter.com/img-g...hanghai007.jpg

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 2:09 AM

Quote:
I have.

The little Orthodox enclave of Kemp Mill, Silver Spring is the most visibly Jewish area in the DC area.

Montgomery County as a whole though has a very sizable Jewish population. I think the population has shifted from being centered in Silver Spring to Bethesda/Chevy Chase in the last few decades.
Kemp Mill was right up the road from my high school but it wasn't Orthodox then. Bethesda always had plenty of Jews too.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 2:18 AM
An Optimistic Realist

That Shanghai Jewish neighborhood looks straight out of Europe.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 5:24 AM

Wasn't there a really old Jewish community in China back in the day (if there still is)?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 5:34 AM

I wonder if there's a significant population of Ethiopian Jews (Beta Israel) anywhere in the US. I know Washington DC had an Ethiopian community, but I haven't really heard of if they live there too.

There are also Indian Jews like the Bene Israel and it'd be interesting to know if they too have immigrated to North America, and if so, if they'd live among other Jewish communities, or among South Asians.

If I'm not mistaken, there are some groups like these that are very small and historically pretty far removed from the other Jewish communities, but still considered Jewish, but not within the Ashkenazi, Sephardic, and Mizrahi divisions.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 5:54 AM
An Optimistic Realist

^^^ I heard of a small community of Ethiopian Jews in NYC. Most of the diaspora reside in Israel. Ethiopians in general are mostly in the West Coast and DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Wasn't there a really old Jewish community in China back in the day (if there still is)?
Yes. Read this Wiki article

Turns out to be a deep tradition, similar to the other Abrahamic religions in China.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 8:05 AM
Crisp and Squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
That Shanghai Jewish neighborhood looks straight out of Europe.
A lot of Shanghai neighborhoods look straight out of Europe (and for good reason: we have European conquest of China to thank for that), although increasingly fewer are left standing as they make way for high-rises and mega-complexes.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Zombie View Post
A lot of Shanghai neighborhoods look straight out of Europe (and for good reason: we have European conquest of China to thank for that), although increasingly fewer are left standing as they make way for high-rises and mega-complexes.
straight out of europe perhaps, but with strange flora and wires all around them, haha.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 11:39 PM

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 11:44 PM

The Chinese are known to be rather philo-Semitic:

http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/05/23/...-are-so-smart/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions