HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 5:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I recommend this thread gets archived once we're done with it, so that we can come back to it in 5,10yrs and laugh at it all over again.
Or better yet, 5-10 years from now, lets see which downtown is more electric during GreyCup week when the Riders and Bombers host their first GreyCups in their new stadiums. My money is on the city with the stadium not located on the University grounds.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 6:02 AM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
The stakeholders get blasted for saying its just a stadium, and now some are blasting them for trying to make a great project even greater. What is that saying, "there is no cure for hopelessness."

Fact of the matter is this, lowincome housing is very much needed in this province, and what better place to build an inner city project for lowincome earners than a residential location (Mosaic Stadium) that is dire need of revitilizing to begin with. The target hasn't changed as we've been saying that this is the goal since this whole debate began, some people just choose not to listen.
No one disputes the need for affordable housing. However, strongly connecting it to the stadium project after the fact is rather two-faced, even for the Mayor and the guy from Silverspring. I doubt it will impact support at the polls.

The stress our elected officials bring upon themselves is incredible. Chev appeared defeated in December. Public life can be cruel.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 6:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
No one disputes the need for affordable housing. However, strongly connecting it to the stadium project after the fact is rather two-faced, even for the Mayor and the guy from Silverspring. I doubt it will impact support at the polls.

The stress our elected officials bring upon themselves is incredible. Chev appeared defeated in December. Public life can be cruel.
Now you are just making things up, the message has never changed as the stakeholders have stated several times that this project is much bigger than just a stadium. I guess if you don't listen, you don't hear. And I am not sure what you are talking about in regards to Chevy, he is one of the most popular members of cabinet and won the last election by a very large margin in his Stoon riding.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 6:06 AM

Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=352263

Interesting poll, I thought it would be alot more one-sided with those strongly opposed with the highest percentage (says its only 24%). Its not too often you can get 41% in favour of a govt spending initiative, I am looking at this as a very good sign.
Uh. OK.

And what about this little tidbit from the article?:

"Yet even though their provinces potentially stand to benefit, the poll suggests opposition to federal cash for pro sports facilities is highest -- at 62 per cent -- in Alberta and Manitoba-Saskatchewan."

Oh, that's right, I forgot, it's not a pro sports facility. (Smoke. Mirrors.) It's a multi-purpose entertainment facility. It's about affordable housing. (New Spin. Backtrack.) I'd say the communications plan in "selling" this project to the public needs a re-think. It's turned out to be a bit of a gong show.

(Crickets.)

But wait. The stadium project would NEVER be considered if the RIDERS weren't based in Regina. Hmmm. Whoa! It IS a pro sports facility!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 6:07 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
You still haven't told me what the difference is between putting two large museums into a revitilization plan (the forks in Wpg) and an indoor multi-purpose entertainment facility (Regina)? And I am not sure why you continuously try to persuade us that you are right and the most powerful people in Saskatchewan are wrong. You do understand that this facility has the potential to bring almost half a million people annually (that otherwise wouldn't be there) into the downtown corp. How can you actually try and spin that into being anything but a great thing for the downtown and warehouse district? And like I said already (but you conveniently avoided), there are alot of similiar aspects between the forks in Winnipeg and the new development in Regina. (ie retail, condos, hotels, restaurants, public squares, playgrounds, etc). Take away your two museums and replace it with a multipurpose entertainment centre and you have bascially the same type of development.
migs....its a stadium.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 6:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
migs....its a stadium.
trueviking...its a museum.

And no, its not just a stadium. It is a year round facility that can be configured to host arena events, so in essence its a faciltiy that can host a much larger array of events than the MTS Centre in Winnipeg, you know, the one you guys built downtown.

And after reading your comments earlier I decided to take a little google trip through the forks for a little perspective. First of all, what is with those large parking lots on waterfront Drive, I assume its for the train station? Thankfully you won't see any large parking lots like that in our new development. Secondly I see alot of greenery, lots of pedestrian friendly areas, a hotel, some residential, a couple museums, some retail, overall a very nice urban setting. Like I said already, take away your two museums and replace them with the indoor arena/stadium and you get basically the same type of development.

ps..... at the conclusion of my very enjoyable google trip I decided to take a turn to the north part of the forks along Waterfront drive, and what did I see, a baseball stadium with parking lots galore. So I guess your 'Forks' analogy only pertains to football stadiums, not baseball stadiums lol

....you can't write this stuff.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 6:34 AM
working stiff

Quote:
Now you are just making things up, the message has never changed as the stakeholders have stated several times that this project is much bigger than just a stadium. I guess if you don't listen, you don't hear. And I am not sure what you are talking about in regards to Chevy, he is one of the most popular members of cabinet and won the last election by a very large margin in his Stoon riding.
Oh but it has changed. Emphasis on the housing component was non-existent before. Now the rah rah rah is about affordable housing. Re-focusing is clearly demonstrated in the most recent articles.

Only in anywhere, Saskatchewan.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 7:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
Oh but it has changed. Emphasis on the housing component was non-existent before. Now the rah rah rah is about affordable housing. Re-focusing is clearly demonstrated in the most recent articles.

Only in anywhere, Saskatchewan.
There have been many articles with the stakeholders mentioning the housing component, they are just emphasizing it now for the final push, that is how this type of process works. Just because you didn't hear it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 7:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Proposed stadium project should include plan for housing: Fiacco

Ken Gousseau, CTV Regina

Date: Thursday Feb. 3, 2011 4:36 PM CST

Regina Mayor Pat Fiacco says a proposed stadium project in the city should include a major inner-city housing development.

In his State of the City address Thursday, Fiacco said the 46 acres of land currently occupied by Mosaic Stadium and the Canadian Pacific container yard is an ideal site to build "desperately" needed housing, along with what he called an "all-year entertainment facility."

"People have got to quit thinking about a football stadium and start thinking about an inner-city redevelopment," Fiacco told reporters.

"I'm more concerned about the opportunity for homes for families."

The Saskatchewan government has applied for $100 million in federal funding to build the proposed $430-million domed stadium.

However, Fiacco says the city will move ahead with its plans even if Ottawa isn't on board.

"We need to look at a number of options that would include federal funding and that would not include federal funding," Fiacco said.

"We're just not going to lay low on this one. We have to continue to work toward this."

Ken Cheveldayoff, the provincial cabinet minister leading the charge for a new stadium, says the government supports the mayor's plan to include a housing development in the project.

"To be fair, it's always been part of what we've envisioned, but we haven't talked about it enough," Cheveldayoff said.

"We're going to be working together more than ever on this whole project, not just on the entertainment facility."
http://regina.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca...03/?hub=Regina

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 10:41 AM

This facility (stadium) is being built well and truely for the Riders. Anything else, the arena events (?) concerts, tradeshows, conventions, badminton, tiddly winks, etc are all by products.

This is a football stadium first and foremost for the PRO team, the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Enough said.....

All the bs being slung by both sides just gets to be so monotonous....

Any actual news for or against this stadium would be appreciated. Why can't this thread report that and keep the rest to the expresso thread. I have been guilty in the past, yep. Guilty.....

But there are a FEW others on this thread who should take a long look in the mirror.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 12:48 PM

one wat or another something is going to be built its amazing about all the jealousy going on here unbelievable if this were in saskatoon we would not here a peep its to funny

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 1:49 PM

Nobody knows if this project is going to revitalize downtown Regina or not. It is all going to depend on the number of big events this stadium brings downtown. After a Riders games, sure the Warehouse District bars and restaurants will be packed, but what do they do the other 28 days of the month and all winter long? The area Nationwide Arena in Columbus is successful because not only are there way more NHL games than CFL games, the arena is also packed with concerts and other events.

If Regina's new stadium is also packed with concerts and other events, it will be successful at revitalizing downtown. If it is only booking a couple of events each month in addition to Rider games, it will be a colossal failure. Arenas have been shown to revitalize downtowns, baseball stadiums have worked, football stadiums have not, multi-purpose football stadiums with retractable roofs are less clear. They clearly don't have the number of events that arenas have, but they do have more events than just regular football stadiums.

Here is the list of upcoming events scheduled for Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. Keep in mind that Indianapolis is about 7 times bigger than Regina. This downtown, multi-purpose entertainment football stadium is only being used 3 times in Feb, 4 times in March, 1 time in April (for a high school prom), 2 times in May (one for a wedding rehearsal), 2 times in June, 2 times in July, 1 time in August, 0 times in September (thank god for NFL football to start filling the seats) and so on. Where are the mega concerts? If this is all the activity going on in this stadium, no wonder it is losing millions upon millions every year. Will a stadium in downtown Regina host more events than a stadium in downtown Indianapolis? I guess that is the half a billion dollar question we are all trying to decide.

Tue Feb 8 2011 BASF
Thu Feb 17 2011 Ideation Workshop
Fri Feb 25 - Mar 1 2011 NFL Scouting Combine
Fri Mar 4 - Mar 6 2011 Indianapolis Home & Flower Show
Mon Mar 7 - Mar 8 2011 Mitsubishi Fuso Expo and Ride & Drive
Sat Mar 12 2011 Supercross
Thu Mar 24 - Mar 26 2011 Fire Department Instructors Conference (FDIC-LOS)
Sat Apr 30 2011 Plainfield High School Prom
Fri May 13 - May 15 2011 NexStar National Talent Competition
Fri May 20 2011 Franson/Laviolette Rehearsal Dinner
Tue Jun 7 - Jun 9 2011 Indiana Funeral Directors Convention
Sat Jun 11 2011 Aspen Farley/Ryan Selch Wedding & Reception
Sun Jul 17 2011 The CSG Midwestern Legislative Conference
Sat Jul 23 2011 Herff Jones Conference Opening Evening
Thu Aug 11 - Aug 13 2011 DCI World Championships
Thu Oct 20 - Oct 22 2011 National FFA Convention 2011 (LOS)
Sat Oct 29 2011 ISSMA Marching Band Finals
Sat Nov 5 2011 BOA Regional Competition
Wed Nov 9 - Nov 12 2011 BOA Grand Nationals

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welkin View Post
Nobody knows if this project is going to revitalize downtown Regina or not. It is all going to depend on the number of big events this stadium brings downtown. After a Riders games, sure the Warehouse District bars and restaurants will be packed, but what do they do the other 28 days of the month and all winter long? The area Nationwide Arena in Columbus is successful because not only are there way more NHL games than CFL games, the arena is also packed with concerts and other events.

If Regina's new stadium is also packed with concerts and other events, it will be successful at revitalizing downtown. If it is only booking a couple of events each month in addition to Rider games, it will be a colossal failure. Arenas have been shown to revitalize downtowns, baseball stadiums have worked, football stadiums have not, multi-purpose football stadiums with retractable roofs are less clear. They clearly don't have the number of events that arenas have, but they do have more events than just regular football stadiums.

Here is the list of upcoming events scheduled for Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. Keep in mind that Indianapolis is about 7 times bigger than Regina. This downtown, multi-purpose entertainment football stadium is only being used 3 times in Feb, 4 times in March, 1 time in April (for a high school prom), 2 times in May (one for a wedding rehearsal), 2 times in June, 2 times in July, 1 time in August, 0 times in September (thank god for NFL football to start filling the seats) and so on. Where are the mega concerts? If this is all the activity going on in this stadium, no wonder it is losing millions upon millions every year. Will a stadium in downtown Regina host more events than a stadium in downtown Indianapolis? I guess that is the half a billion dollar question we are all trying to decide.

Tue Feb 8 2011 BASF
give us 10 good reasons why you are against this

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 3:05 PM

Quote:

Tue Feb 8 2011 BASF
Indianapolis also has several large arenas to host concerts and events. In Regina, anything that might draw more than the Brandt Centre's 7000 seat capacity could be held at the new facility.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
give us 10 good reasons why you are against this
You are totally wrong. I am not against this project at all. I personally think it is a fantastic project. My problem is that I come from the operations side and I would imagine that many people on this thread come from either the political or the design and planning side. Their main concerns seem to be how will the project fit with our urban planning, or how do we sell the public on agreeing to finance the project (I love the new low income housing rider that has recently been attached. classic politics) or how do we work the political system to get more funding and what will be the political advantages of getting this project built.

I am from the operation side. I look at how do we make this stadium work once it is built and is this a financially viable project. For example, I think the Burg Dubai (now Burg Khalifa) was a fabulous project. Unfortunately, it is only 10% full and is a complete economic disaster. Many people drive by that building and think "Wow what an amazing building". I look at it and think sure it is a beautiful building, but the idiots lost their ass on this one". I look at Regina's multipurpose entertainment football stadium and I think the same thing. It is a great project that is going to look cool downtown, but it will be a financial disaster that will need bailed out year after year. I don't know, maybe everyone is fine with that.

Most public buildings never make any money, that is why they are built with public funds. Just don't pee down my leg and tell me that it is raining. Don't keep on trying to sell me on this stadium becoming a financial juggernaut that is going make millions in profit and at the same time save downtown and revitalize the Warehouse District. Even the politicians seem to understand this, that is why they are throwing everything but the kitchen sink at this project hoping that something sticks. If this project could stand on its own financially, they wouldn't have to keep adding things like low income housing in order to make it more palatable.

Again, I think it is a great project, as long as we understand up front what it is and what it will never be. If the majority of people are fine with that, then it is cool.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Indianapolis also has several large arenas to host concerts and events. In Regina, anything that might draw more than the Brandt Centre's 7000 seat capacity could be held at the new facility.
Okay, this is simple. Start making a list of what currently comes to Regina that needs somewhere 7,000 and 35,000 seats and is right now maxed out at Brandt. For example, we have had a couple of sold-out concerts that might fit the bill. Make the list a real list and not some imaginary mega concerts that don't exist. Keep in mind that if Brandt can currently accommodate the event, (a concert that does not sell-out) then it is probably not a candidate for the new stadium. Then check other arena websites and see what major events are by passing Regina maybe because of the lack of adequate facilities.

If you take the Calgary Saddledome (besides Flames and Hitmen hockey) they have Alan Jackson in March, the Globetrotters in April (just like Brandt), Sears Stars on Ice in May, nothing in June and in July they have NKOTBSP, Surgarland and Kenny Chesney. So you have what, maybe Alan Jackson and maybe Kenny Chesney switching over to the new Multi-purpose Entertainment and Football Stadium (surely Brandt could handle Sears Stars on Ice and whatever NKOTBSP is). Just two events over the next six months. Keep in mind that if this facility is being expected to revitalize downtown, fill brand new hotels and pack the new bars and restaurants in the Warehouse District, it is going to need a lot more than two extra concerts in six months. Would you not agree?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 5:01 PM

The new facility could probably host a few regular season NHL games. I'm sure they would be well attended.

BTW, NKOTBSP is New Kids on The Block and Backstreet Boys.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 5:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Tue Feb 8 2011 BASF
Apples and oranges. You have to remember that Indianapolis has the large Canseco Fieldhouse that hosts all big arena concerts and shows. Our facility can be configured to host these arena-type types of events so in essence we are killing two birds with one stone.

In addition to that they have the Hoosier Memorial Stadium (cap 50K+) and Assembly Hall (cap 17K+) just outside the city for their university athletics (remember cis athletics will be a big part of our facility.) Also don't forget that Indy also has the massive half-million square foot Indianapolis Convention Centre right next door to LucasOil Stadium, there are big plans for hosting conventions and tradeshows in our new facility as well.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 5:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
This facility (stadium) is being built well and truely for the Riders. Anything else, the arena events (?) concerts, tradeshows, conventions, badminton, tiddly winks, etc are all by products.

This is a football stadium first and foremost for the PRO team, the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Enough said.....

All the bs being slung by both sides just gets to be so monotonous....

Any actual news for or against this stadium would be appreciated. Why can't this thread report that and keep the rest to the expresso thread. I have been guilty in the past, yep. Guilty.....

But there are a FEW others on this thread who should take a long look in the mirror.
I just provided the readers with about 4-5 newstories from yesterday with significant comments from the Premier, the mayor, and the minister in charge of this project. I guess if the news that comes out of articles isn't to your liking, a river in north Africa comes to mind.

And you can look at this project however you want, if a new stadium gets built and lowincome housing becomes a significant byproduct b/c of land theat becomes available in a residential setting, isn't that a good thing?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 5:24 PM

I was thinking the NHL games would be well attended using the 35000 football configuration. Provided they are regular season games.

Last edited by Saskatchewanication; Feb 4, 2011 at 5:46 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan