HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 2:22 PM

Old City is in a wierd place Right now. I think it'll turn quick but still a lot of vacancies. A few of the closings have been replaced by less-than-stellar new businesses - most notably, my fav hangout The Gaslight. Farmacia was replaced by a mexican place that actually looks pretty good. Again, I think it'll turn quickly. I just hope the trend is upgrades vs downgrades.

Homeless are ever-present around here with the assumption that tourists have deeper pockets but it does seem like they're more plentiful and agressive than September 2019. But again, my perspective might be changed by the last 17 months.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 11:00 AM

Deleted.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 4:39 AM

ZONING PERMIT NUMBER: ZP-2021-008477

Quote:
FOR THE COMPLETE DEMOLITION OF ALL EXISTING BUILDINGS AND STRUCTURES, INCLUDING FORMER FUELING CANOPY AND ONE(1) NON-ACCESORY OUTDOOR ADVERTISING SIGN. FOR A LOT ADJUSTMENT TO CREATE ONE (1) LOT (PARCEL A) FROM NINE (9) EXISTING LOTS (4746-48, 4744, 4742, 4734-40, 4732, 4730, 4728, 4726 SPRUCE STREET AND 301 S 48th STREET). SIZE AND LOCATION AS SHOWN IN THE APPLICATION/PLAN.
Type of Work: Lot Line Relocation
Issue Date: Sep 3, 2021
I was unsure of where to put this. But nonetheless seems like a massive project In West Philly. I believe there were a set of rundown retail storefronts along this strip and does anybody have any additional info on this?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Again, where in CC are you talking about? I assume both you and Cardeza are talking about issues around Market/Chestnut East - b/c there doesn't seem to be that much different around Rittenhouse and Market West. Not trying to push, but I have relationships with some city entities so if sh$t is a problem in a particular area it's helpful to be specific so we can call it out if needed.
east of city hall. 11th, 12th, 13th from walnut to Filbert or Arch. Sounds like folks on here dont get to that part of town much. All around the loews is often a mess, people on the corner or sitting next to the building, sometimes passed out, sometimes just chilling while they charge their phone. Ive seen people relieving themselves in the alleys were dumpsters are stored, I commonly see waste near reading terminal and along underutilized or vacant storefronts along 11th and 12th streets. The windows on target are broken almost all the time- I was just there the other day and one window pane was boarded up. The wawa a 12th and market is a mess and I dont even go in there. Chestnut is a ghost town east of Broad- vacancies, blank storefronts and people loitering and askng for money. The main marriott is basically a dead building right now, most storefronts vacant, people are using the bus shelter benches as bedding and temp shelter on the regular along market and chestnut.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
east of city hall. 11th, 12th, 13th from walnut to Filbert or Arch. Sounds like folks on here dont get to that part of town much. All around the loews is often a mess, people on the corner or sitting next to the building, sometimes passed out, sometimes just chilling while they charge their phone. Ive seen people relieving themselves in the alleys were dumpsters are stored, I commonly see waste near reading terminal and along underutilized or vacant storefronts along 11th and 12th streets. The windows on target are broken almost all the time- I was just there the other day and one window pane was boarded up. The wawa a 12th and market is a mess and I dont even go in there. Chestnut is a ghost town east of Broad- vacancies, blank storefronts and people loitering and askng for money. The main marriott is basically a dead building right now, most storefronts vacant, people are using the bus shelter benches as bedding and temp shelter on the regular along market and chestnut.
You're not wrong here, but East Chestnut pre-pandemic was pretty lively, and Walnut has been fine the whole time (particularly the area by Jefferson). I think the new Jefferson tower on Chestnut is going to give the area a shot in the arm.

East Market Street on the other hand is a completely different beast. It's rough from 13th Street pretty much all the way to 8th.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 9:37 PM

I think that East Market is objective proof that architecture can affect human behavior. If the Gallery wasn’t there and was instead just midrises with ground floor retail I’m certain the environment would be different people-wise.

To be clear, I haven’t weighed in on this discussion because I only just moved back, but I’ve been in Center City a lot the past few days and I would actually say that it was nicer than it was a year ago. I’ve been all around and I’d honestly say it has been better than even June of this year.

It’s not perfect, and a lot of the concerns shared here are valid, but I highly doubt that we’re at the point of businesses leaving the city.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 12:01 AM

I can SORT OF see what people are talking about, but I'm confused. I personally think Market East has never looked better. The Fashion District is LEAGUES better than the Gallery. The East Market development is incredibly awesome and I love the new Canopy hotel, the Wayward restaurant, etc. Chestnut Street is certainly still an eyesore from 12th to 13th, but I really think this is going to be on the ups with the new Jefferson building going up, and all the East Market stuff. 13th Street looks great with all of the outdoor dining.

I don't get it. Seems like people are just being negative for the sake of being negative. Market East looks much better than it used to in my opinion. It still has homeless and seedy characters, but honestly, it used to be much worse. I think many people might THINK it seems much worse than before COVID just because all office workers aren't back, and conventioneers aren't back.... but otherwise, I don't see what people are talking about.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 12:03 AM

Dueling Demolitions on Frankford Avenue Will Result in a Pair of New Buildings

Old view of 1538-44 Frankford Ave:

Current progress:

Rendering:

Old view of 1601 Frankford Ave:

Current view:

Rendering:

Read/view more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...-new-buildings

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 12:06 AM

Permits Issued For 15-Unit Building At 2400 Frankford Avenue In East Kensington

Rendering:

Current site:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/09/perm...-fishtown.html

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 12:09 AM

Permits Issued For 30-Unit Building At 2739 North 5th Street In Fairhill, North Philadelphia

Rendering:

Current site:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/09/perm...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 12:10 AM

Permits Issued For 45-Unit Building At 5200 Chester Avenue In Kingsessing

Old view of the site:

Current site:

Quote:
Permits have been issued for the construction of a four-story, 45-unit multi-family building at 5200 Chester Avenue in Kingsessing, West Philadelphia. Upon completion, the building will rise four stories tall and will feature a roof deck equipped with a green roof. The building will hold 57,380 square feet of space and cost an estimated $6.11 million to build. Tester Construction is listed as the project’s contractor, with Rich Villa as the design professional.
Read/view more here:

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Chestnut Street is certainly still an eyesore from 12th to 13th, but I really think this is going to be on the ups with the new Jefferson building going up, and all the East Market stuff. 13th Street looks great with all of the outdoor dining.
So many great buildings on this block have had their street level facades bastardized. Hopefully some of the original masonry remains under the toiler papering.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 5:56 PM
Chris

Quote:
I can SORT OF see what people are talking about, but I'm confused. I personally think Market East has never looked better. The Fashion District is LEAGUES better than the Gallery. The East Market development is incredibly awesome and I love the new Canopy hotel, the Wayward restaurant, etc. Chestnut Street is certainly still an eyesore from 12th to 13th, but I really think this is going to be on the ups with the new Jefferson building going up, and all the East Market stuff. 13th Street looks great with all of the outdoor dining.

I don't get it. Seems like people are just being negative for the sake of being negative. Market East looks much better than it used to in my opinion. It still has homeless and seedy characters, but honestly, it used to be much worse. I think many people might THINK it seems much worse than before COVID just because all office workers aren't back, and conventioneers aren't back.... but otherwise, I don't see what people are talking about.
The Market East development on the South side of Market St is great, and the new Canopy Hotel and Ludlow Street. I would love to see this continue East on Market all the way to 8th. The Fashion District is certainly better than before, but still a missed opportunity (IMO).

Its a shame about 1200-1300 Chestnut, there used to be some nice home stores that closed (before Covid). I am sure it will change for the better in the coming years, inevitable given the nearby construction.

I may have missed some posts, but the recent discussion doesn't come off as "people are just being negative for the sake of being negative". They are all valid and accurate concerns. Overall I was very impressed with Center City and I had a wonderful time, there were just a few noticeable issues, many of which will get better with time. (and the food was as good as always ).

Some of the City Data users are negative for the heck of it, but I don't see much of that on here.

Also, to keep this on topic, the new building at 262 N. 16th St. (next to Monk's Cafe) looks awesome, wrapping up nicely! We need more new construction like this.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 6:31 PM

Renderings Revealed For 57-Unit Building At 401-07 East Walnut Lane In East Germantown

Rendering:

Aerial rendering:

Current site:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/09/rend...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 6:32 PM

Permits Issued For 1650 West Girard Avenue In Francisville

Rendering:

Rendering:

Aerial rendering:

Aerial of current site:

Read/view more here:

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 6:34 PM

Renderings Revealed For 1200 Normandy Place In The Navy Yard

Rendering:

Aerial massing:

Rendering:

Rendering:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/09/rend...navy-yard.html

Old Posted Sep 6, 2021, 11:07 PM

Quote:

you are missing the point completely. I never said anything about the state of development or the appearance of the buildings on Market Street. The developments you mentioned are fine but the overall conditions in the area are not better than they were 2 years ago. Remember, there is zero convention traffic and minimal tourist traffic and office traffic (already somewhat weak east of City hall) is diminished due to work from home so the presence and proportion represented by the homeless and the addicted is much higher than in 2019. Also, the "cleaning up" of certain areas like Jefferson, Suburban and Dilworth has pushed people to corners and in front of various buildings. They didnt actually reduce the number of people on the streets, they just carved out zones where they are no longer allowed to be- so they moved somewhere else.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2021, 11:26 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:

+1 Summers. That new Gallery has changed the whole landscape.

Once they start on the Other side of market it's game over that whole area is changing.

Also I think a lot of people forget that certain strips in Philly are/were minority shopping strips with street vendors selling stuff and usually hanging out. you can't just expect the whole area to change over night.

We say we don't want to push people out or change neighborhoods then shit on East Market.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
+1 Summers. That new Gallery has changed the whole landscape.

Once they start on the Other side of market it's game over that whole area is changing.

Also I think a lot of people forget that certain strips in Philly are/were minority shopping strips with street vendors selling stuff and usually hanging out. you can't just expect the whole area to change over night.

We say we don't want to push people out or change neighborhoods then shit on East Market.
I walked down Market from the East Market development (12th ish Street) all the way to Old City a few weeks back.

The East Market development is far better than the Gallery redo, but tbh, the Gallery redo is worlds better than what it was. All in all, I thought the whole run looked pretty good with the exception of the 700 and 800 blocks. Leagues ahead of where it was even 4 years ago.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 5:06 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I walked down Market from the East Market development (12th ish Street) all the way to Old City a few weeks back.

The East Market development is far better than the Gallery redo, but tbh, the Gallery redo is worlds better than what it was. All in all, I thought the whole run looked pretty good with the exception of the 700 and 800 blocks. Leagues ahead of where it was even 4 years ago.
100% it's lightyears ahead of what it used to be & is improving like you said the 700-800 blocks are the areas that are still a little tricky but as you see a lot of businesses are closing and well soon me redeveloped we can bet on that. East Market from City Hall to Old City will soon be a tourist/shopping heaven but it takes time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development