HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
The biggest difference is that Orlando get far more foreign visitors than we do. Foreign tourists, particularly Chinese tourists love to spend money on luxury goods when they travel.
Sure... but with Center City and the region definitely having more high-wage earners, and still millions of visitors a year visiting Independence Mall two blocks away, I don't think this would be a hard sell at all to retailers - especially for an Outlet store.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 5:42 PM

This is actually an interesting article on point , while it doesn't give any numbers for East Asia it is worth noting that 1.53 million people visited Orlando from Brazil and the UK alone.

I'm not trying to be a negadelphian, just pointing out that our markets for luxury goods are very different. While it may not look as good to a tourist, I'm in the crowd that would rather have something normal Philadelphians can use.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 6:05 PM

Quote:
The biggest difference is that Orlando get far more foreign visitors than we do. Foreign tourists, particularly Chinese tourists love to spend money on luxury goods when they travel.
I agree that Orlando gets more international visitors than we do...but I have to laugh that Newark NJ is in this list along with Ft. Lauderdale and Lake Buena Vista FL. It looks like this was ranked off of hotel bookings, and I'm sure the hotels surrounding Newark International clean house on a regular basis.

They should compile a list of metro areas and take into account some additional factors.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 6:30 PM

Quote:
This is actually an interesting article on point , while it doesn't give any numbers for East Asia it is worth noting that 1.53 million people visited Orlando from Brazil and the UK alone.

I'm not trying to be a negadelphian, just pointing out that our markets for luxury goods are very different. While it may not look as good to a tourist, I'm in the crowd that would rather have something normal Philadelphians can use.
My wife is from the Orlando area. As an urban experience, it pales next to Philadelphia, but I agree that it is able to offer things that might not succeed here, based on an extremely robust tourist economy.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 6:54 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
My wife is from the Orlando area. As an urban experience, it pales next to Philadelphia, but I agree that it is able to offer things that might not succeed here, based on an extremely robust tourist economy.
True...the State gets over 100 million visitors annually. Numbers that Philly and/or PA can only dream of.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 9:44 PM

I decided to walk through North Philly after class at Temple today. Anyone familiar with this development on North Broad? It's between Boston Street and Cumberland Avenue.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 11:09 PM

^^Your image isn't showing but it's this:

5-story low income apartment building with ground floor retail

https://projecthome.org/2415

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 11:12 PM

Apartments to be built at Vietnam Palace site in Chinatown

Quote:
The owner of Chinatown's Vietnam Palace plans to close the restaurant for the construction of a seven-story apartment building at the site and to reopen about a year later on the new structure's ground floor. A closing date has not yet been set.

Demolition of the restaurant building on the west side of 11th Street, between Race and Vine Streets, will likely begin in about a year, Simon Lau said Tuesday.

Lau agreed to set aside two of the building's 18 apartments for lower-income renters in exchange for permission to include more units in the project than otherwise would be allowed under the area's zoning, according to Sarah Yeung, planning director for Philadelphia Chinatown Development Corp.
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...Chinatown.html

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Apartments to be built at Vietnam Palace site in Chinatown

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...Chinatown.html
There are so many sites in Chinatown that have been under construction for years. I never see anyone actually working on the projects. Occasionally there'll be a couple of guys onsite, but they don't seem to be in a hurry that's for sure.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 4:12 PM

CDR Submissions

PHA Headquarters - approved by default since this was the 2nd review

Aramark Headquarters - needs 2nd review

2501 Washington - approved

4440 Ridge - needs 2nd review

http://philly.curbed.com/2016/10/5/1...-october-recap

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 8:29 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
They've been digging/drilling/pounding in that lot for 2 months and there is absolutely no sign of progress. Maybe they're building it underground?
2 months isn't that long to be working, especially if they're installing caissons (which if they're doing a lot of drilling, they probably are).
Quote:
Would the solution be to expand our aggressive domestic tourism marketing campaign ("With Love, Philadelphia") to an international audience?

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post

Would the solution be to expand our aggressive domestic tourism marketing campaign ("With Love, Philadelphia") to an international audience?
I see absolutely no reason why we WOULDN'T do this. Pitch should be to visit the birthplace of America. But Miami has certain advantages that attract an international audience that Philly can't really match. 1. It's the closest U.S. city to South America (I believe) and cheap to get to from South America (definitely true). 2. It's warm most or all of the year. 3. Beaches. There are others...Philly has its own unique attributes we can play up, though.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 1:21 AM

Anyone know what they are building beside the granary?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 1:27 AM

^^They're demolishing the old school that is on-site and replacing it with a 6 floor residential building with ground floor retail. Developer is Oren Brothers:

http://www.wulffarchitects.com/1823-callowhill

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 1:38 AM

[QUOTE=summersm343;7584383]CDR Submissions

PHA Headquarters - approved by default since this was the 2nd review

Aramark Headquarters - needs 2nd review

2501 Washington - approved

4440 Ridge - needs 2nd review

This is really an honest question-----now that its been around awhile and has a track record, has the CDR review process actually helped any project get substantially better? It seems like its just another hoop to jump through, and one that doesn't have any strength to fight in its own weight group. What is the CDR suppose to get done?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 1:58 AM

Quote:
^^They're demolishing the old school that is on-site and replacing it with a 6 floor residential building with ground floor retail. Developer is Oren Brothers:

http://www.wulffarchitects.com/1823-callowhill
Thanks!!! design s'alright, little bit ugly.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Those are high-end brands. Sure Kate Space, Cole Haan, Coach, Lululemon, etc. may be more middle-ranged retailer, but most people are not able to afford a lot these brands unless they are at least on an upper-middle class income. Burberry isn't high end? With their $190 ties, $300 dress shirts, $1500-$2000 suits? Trust me, unless you're making $150K+ a year, you're not affording this. Even then, this is not really affordable... and I mean actually affordable, not splurging.

We're not saying runway, or Chanel, Gucci, Hermes outlets... but yeah, some mid-ranged like Ted Baker, Kate Space, and high-end retailers like Prada, Tory Burch, Burberry, etc. are surely possible for outlets at the Philadelphia Fashion Outlets. I don't see why that's out of the question. If they can make it happen in Orlando, they can surely make it happen in Center City Philadelphia.
Kate spade, Kate spade, Kate spade....I'm done, please continue this amazing discussion.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Thanks!!! design s'alright, little bit ugly.
I agree, the design is unsightly; however, I'm surprised that (part of) lot is actually being developed. I was under the impression that it was contaminated and needed environmental remediation before anything could go there. If there are site contamination issues, then I would expect this to be higher than 6 floors to justify the expense of remediation.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I agree, the design is unsightly; however, I'm surprised that (part of) lot is actually being developed. I was under the impression that it was contaminated and needed environmental remediation before anything could go there. If there are site contamination issues, then I would expect this to be higher than 6 floors to justify the expense of remediation.
The open lot is what’s contaminated (at least that’s my understanding). There was that weird looking school building with the blue arches that is attached to the beer distributor is what is being replaced – nothing is being built on the brown field site.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 12:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Anyone know what they are building beside the granary?

I hadn't been over there in a while, I'm glad this is advancing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development