HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 10:37 PM

Lots of buildings being constructed in the industrial parks. There looks to be about 5-6 acres cleared in the new portion of the West Royalty park. Also new buildings in the Sherwood industrial park, Stratford park and Cornwall park. Anybody know any info on them?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post
Lots of buildings being constructed in the industrial parks. There looks to be about 5-6 acres cleared in the new portion of the West Royalty park. Also new buildings in the Sherwood industrial park, Stratford park and Cornwall park. Anybody know any info on them?
The marijuana growing facility is expanding and will eventually use all the land around its current facility. Very large building.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 2:21 AM

Lightbulb Should Charlottetown and Stratford combine?

Do you think that Charlottetown and Stratford (and I guess Cornwalal) should amalgmate into one City of Charlottetown? No one seems to talk about the possiblity but it just seems obvious to me. Like Halifax and Dartmouth, right next to each other. Might help to get Stratford better planned, as well as other benifits.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 2:57 AM
The good old days are now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
Do you think that Charlottetown and Stratford (and I guess Cornwalal) should amalgmate into one City of Charlottetown? No one seems to talk about the possiblity but it just seems obvious to me. Like Halifax and Dartmouth, right next to each other. Might help to get Stratford better planned, as well as other benifits.
I think the rivers make a good natural barrier. Stratford and Cornwall are semi-rural in nature, whereas Dartmouth is more urban. Lots of Charlottetown residents have summer cottages in Stratford and Cornwall as well. Just doesn't seem like a good fit.

On the other hand, I could see a "Greater Charlottetown" governing body being useful to coordinate things at a more regional level. The Charlottetown area could probably use a green-belt and intensification of already built up areas.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
I think the rivers make a good natural barrier. Stratford and Cornwall are semi-rural in nature, whereas Dartmouth is more urban. Lots of Charlottetown residents have summer cottages in Stratford and Cornwall as well. Just doesn't seem like a good fit.

On the other hand, I could see a "Greater Charlottetown" governing body being useful to coordinate things at a more regional level. The Charlottetown area could probably use a green-belt and intensification of already built up areas.
I think there's supposed to be a greenbelt but it's poorly enforced. Additionally, Stratford is urbanizing at an alarming rate these days.

Last edited by Sasha; Jul 3, 2018 at 3:18 AM. Reason: On Starbucks: Okay I can't read.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 3:37 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

There's nothing inherently wrong with having multiple municipalities within an urban area, as long as there is a good deal of cooperation between the different municipalities.

Sometimes the division is geographic (like MTLskyline pointed out). Sometimes the division is ethnic or cultural.

With Moncton, the division is partly geographic (Petitcodiac River dividing Riverview from the rest of the conurbation, and the Hall's Creek Marsh serving as a bit of a barrier between Moncton and Dieppe), but the divide is mostly cultural. Moncton is steadfastly bilingual. Dieppe is about 80% francophone and Riverview is 95% anglophone. By being separate municipalities, this allows each community to have it's own linguistic character.

The metro Moncton communities cooperate on many things however, including a regional police force, regional transit, regional solid waste management, regional sewage management and a regional water supply. This allows savings in the provision of municipal services.

One could argue that by having one big city, this could give the community more political clout. This is only partly true though. The province already knows where most people (voters) live, and what issues are important to them. Most investors also don't pay too much attention to municipal populations when it comes time to choose where to set up a new restaurant, retail establishment of business. Investors tend to look at CA or CMA population statistics instead. This gives them a much better idea of regional population density and population characteristics.

So, short answer is "no", I don't think it's essential unless this is the only way you can coax the communities in question into cooperating to save on taxes.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

........ So, short answer is "no", I don't think it's essential unless this is the only way you can coax the communities in question into cooperating to save on taxes.
Or forced to amalgamate by government. Not like that hasn't happened before.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 1:01 PM

IRAC rules in developer’s favour

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/news/ir...favour-226084/

Last edited by braymondg; Jul 14, 2018 at 1:12 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 3:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Nice looking little building.

I read the newspaper article. This quote by Tim Banks was interesting:

Quote:
“It really is a great day today . . . as we won our right at IRAC to build affordable housing at 55 Richmond Street,’’ Banks said on Twitter. “It took us 19 months to get started . . . hard to believe why people want to stop worthy projects that meet requirements.’’
It's not hard to believe at all - it's NIMBYism pure and simple!!!!

That's not to say that projects shouldn't be properly vetted for appropriateness, but most objections to new developments are pretty frivolous.

Tim Banks seems to be the principle developer in Charlottetown these days. He does good work..........

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Nice looking little building.

I read the newspaper article. This quote by Tim Banks was interesting:

It's not hard to believe at all - it's NIMBYism pure and simple!!!!

That's not to say that projects shouldn't be properly vetted for appropriateness, but most objections to new developments are pretty frivolous.

Tim Banks seems to be the principle developer in Charlottetown these days. He does good work..........

He is the principle developer... only problem is he calls it affordable housing, but charges $1000-1200 per unit.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 10:26 PM

Cornwall development(s)

I was through Cornwall today and I was surprised by the amount of new subdivisions being built. Along with that, the town is moving up with a new building being built where the old trailer park was, along with new subdivided lots. Lots going on here in this town.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 11:33 PM

RioCan REIT has put Charlottetown Mall up for sale - http://www.jllproperty.ca/en-ca/toro...wn-mall/610163

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 11:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Not a surprise. RioCAN has previously announced that it planned to sell all it's properties in secondary markets, and concentrate on developments in the big 6-8 Canadian metro areas.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 11:45 AM

double post

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymondg View Post
Here are some more ongoing projects in Charlottetown.

The old North River rink is no more. It was torn down last fall and the new land will be used for improved access for the North River Fire Dept. I believe they will also be improving the access of York Point Rd to Capital Drive.
There also has been some development across the road in the form of the three floor apartment building. It was recently completed and soon to have a finished parking lot when the asphalt is being made again.

The second apartment building is now up to the right of the first apartment. They have also removed 2 buildings further to the right. There will be at least 3 apartments here (if not 4).

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post
The second apartment building is now up to the right of the first apartment. They have also removed 2 buildings further to the right. There will be at least 3 apartments here (if not 4).
Yes, I did see that last Sunday. I was unable to take a picture at that time but as you say, there is alot changing in that area.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 2:17 PM

Centennial Nissan has cleared land for their new dealership next to the old dealership.

Also "Pizza Pizza" is opening a new spot in the old Dunkin Donuts location on University Ave. Not sure if they still have a spot at the UPEI cafeteria??

Last edited by billy1; Jul 19, 2018 at 5:39 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 6:09 PM

Another new small apartment building by the old "Blockbuster" building on University Ave.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...ince-1.4737463

Last edited by billy1; Jul 20, 2018 at 10:05 PM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 1:51 PM

Hampton Inn Update

The first three floors are nearly completed, three more to go.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 1:13 AM

This was reported in an earlier post but this is the first time it appeared in the newspaper.

Tim Banks plans apartment building for Charlottetown

The Guardian:

CHARLOTTETOWN, P.E.I. – P.E.I. developer Tim Banks is proposing to build an eight-storey, 100-unit apartment building behind the Sacred Heart Home on Haviland Street in Charlottetown.

The building features two levels of enclosed parking and floor-to-ceiling glass. Coun. Greg Rivard, chairman of the city’s planning committee, said Banks doesn’t require any variances and the project wouldn’t need council’s approval. The only thing he would have to go through is the design review process.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces