HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post
I would guess its the oldest location in the Charlottetown area and needed a refresh and expansion. Eventually all Sobeys will be "Extra".
I was under the impression that it was like their high end stores. Roughly the same amount of stores and markets as Target.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I was under the impression that it was like their high end stores. Roughly the same amount of stores and markets as Target.

I was talking to someone at Sobeys, and if what he said is true you would be right in your thinking that Sobeys Extra's are in fact there higher end stores.

There are apparently a few factors when they choose what stores will be expanded into Sobeys Extras

1. Is there enough space for the expansion
2. Is there enough business at this location to warrant an expansion to an
"EXTRA" format.

there are other requirements but he could not tell me all because it's apparently different people do different things before a final assessment on whether a certain store gets that "Extra" branding.

See what I did there... Bad jokes

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I was talking to someone at Sobeys, and if what he said is true you would be right in your thinking that Sobeys Extra's are in fact there higher end stores.

There are apparently a few factors when they choose what stores will be expanded into Sobeys Extras

1. Is there enough space for the expansion
2. Is there enough business at this location to warrant an expansion to an
"EXTRA" format.

there are other requirements but he could not tell me all because it's apparently different people do different things before a final assessment on whether a certain store gets that "Extra" branding.

See what I did there... Bad jokes
I was mostly concerned with the 2nd point you brought up, and that there is/could be enough space at the west royalty location which would be much busier.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I was mostly concerned with the 2nd point you brought up, and that there is/could be enough space at the west royalty location which would be much busier.
I think it might be the 1st point that was the reason for Sobeys not expanding the west royalty location. From what I've seen. Unless they would be taking over other units, and perhaps that was not in the cards for them for any reason. But I do agree with you I've seen both locations, and it seems to me like it would have been the better choice.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 9:50 AM

Lots of room for expansion for Sobeys west royalty they built it with expansion in mind

http://plaza.ca/wp-content/uploads/b...016pdf_351.pdf

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
Lots of room for expansion for Sobeys west royalty they built it with expansion in mind

http://plaza.ca/wp-content/uploads/b...016pdf_351.pdf
When you compare it to google maps tho, it looks like that about 5000 sq/ft of the expansion was built from the get go.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 1:35 PM

I guess we knew this!!

Popular P.E.I. sports bar soon closing

Dave Stewart dstewart@theguardian.pe.ca
Published on December 8, 2016

East Side Mario'€™s general manager Nicole Vessey is shown inside the Charlottetown restaurant, which has been serving Islanders for the past 15 years. New Year’s Eve 2016 will be the final day of business for the restaurant.

CHARLOTTETOWN, P.E.I. - A Charlottetown restaurant that offered cuisine inspired by Little Italy in the heart of New York is closing its doors for good.

Ben Murphy, chief operating officer of the Murphy Group of Restaurants, confirmed Thursday the clock is winding down on East Side Mario’s and Ise’s Sports Bar at University Plaza on University Avenue.

“We’re closing and New Year’s Eve will be the last night,’’ Murphy said.

The closure will throw about 40 people out of work although some will find other positions within the Murphy Group of Restaurants.

Murphy said the businesses will not be relocating.

“We looked at some other options and couldn’t find the right location; the right fit for us.’’

The Murphy Group of Restaurants has been in that location on University Avenue since opening Lonestar in 1997. It was converted into an East Side Mario’s about 15 years ago.

“Every business runs its course. It’s too bad to see it go. We had a good run at it. Big thanks to everyone that came out and supported is over the years.’’

Murphy actually got his start in the family business working on the floor at Lonestar.

“A few people in the company got their start there. It is too bad but, you know, when one door closes another one opens.’’

Murphy wouldn’t elaborate on what, if anything, he means by that other than to say “we’re always looking at new things’’.

The location won’t stay vacant for long.

Giant Tiger, the Canadian discount store chain, is taking over the space with an eye to opening on July 15.

Alison Scarlett, public relations with Giant Tiger, told The Guardian in September that some work needs to be done to the location first.

“There will be a bit of construction. They are going to be building an addition on to the existing structure to give the additional square footage that we will require,’’ Scarlett said.

Giant Tiger will occupy about 25,000 square feet, space that will include clothing, groceries, fashion, housewares and seasonal products. The store will also need 30 full-time employees.

It’s a highly anticipated opening. According to the developer, Plaza Retail Reit, Giant Tiger has been a huge success in Summerside.

dave.stewart@tc.tc

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 1:56 PM

Costco, Why not?

I checked to see just who was getting Costco stores this year, and I found that Orillia, Ontario is receiving a Costco.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/news/lo...r-4659827.html

There always has been the perception the Island has too small of a population to support a Costco. Just recently I was in Moncton and by looking at all the Island license plates, they have nothing to worry about.

I looked up the population of Orillia:
Population in 2011: 30,586

With Charlottetown it's: 64,857 (agg).

Since Orillia is far removed from Toronto, what am I missing here? Obviously, it's not a population issue, at least a weak argument.

What do you think?

Last edited by braymondg; Dec 9, 2016 at 2:13 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 2:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

What is the market area of Orillia?

The market area for Charlottetown is essentially PEI (150,000).

I've been to Orillia before, and although the city is small, the market area would include large swaths of the mid Ontario hinterland, extending halfway up to North Bay and over to Georgian Bay too. There are more people living in this region of Ontario than you might think. The market area might be 250,000 or so.

I agree though that Charlottetown is probably getting closer and closer all the time to finally getting it's own Costco.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 2:39 PM

Yup, The Orillia Costco would also likely draw many customers from Gravenhurst, Bracebridge, and Huntsville. Plus it acts as the last Costco on the way to cottage country for muskoka bound Toronto residents, which is an absolutely massive market in its own right. That section of Ontario has its population surge in the summer time.. Look at Huntsville, the town has the amount of retail you would expect to serve a town twice its size.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 2:51 PM

Just from google-mapping, there is a Costco in Barrie about 30 minutes south of Orillia. So an Orillian Costco would serve the regions north of the city; but south would probably be handled by the Barrie Costco.

That all said, given the demographics and returns Costco is getting up here (they effectively have a monopoly on Membership Warehouse shopping), PEI will probably be on their radar within the decade.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 10:03 PM

Thanks for the input.
No doubt it will come sometime. Tim Banks of APM said it will be a matter of time. I guess we'll have to settle with a new Giant Tiger for now.

On another note, Montana's is nearing completion. A new Maurices just opened beside Marks. More new stores filling in where Target was in the Mall.
H&M is now open and Urban Planet is on its way.
Charlottetown is getting there. Best shopping on PEI by far.

Nice to see the "new to us" buses the city purchased from Calgary. They are well used and add a city look to this busy little city.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by braymondg; Mar 6, 2017 at 12:14 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 2:58 PM

I see Giant Tiger has started expanding to the back parking lot behind East Side Marios. Construction crews have started removing pavement and making the outline for the foundation.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 1:38 AM

Population:

Charlottetown: 69,325 (CA) +5.8%

Summerside: 16,587 (CA) +0.6

Nice to see these population increases, especially for Charlottetown which increased by ~4,000. Stratford was a big 13.2% to 9,800. Cornwall was 5,800 at 3.6%.
I just realized something, Stratford and Cornwall have the same population combined as Summerside does. Actually they do as they are not CA populations.
The Summerside proper population is 13,814 and dropped -0.4. Seems to me S'side maybe suffering from the old age folks syndrome. All the younger folks are moving to larger centres. First Charlottetown, then beyond. I guess it's fair to say the whole island is doing that.

Last edited by braymondg; Feb 16, 2017 at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymondg View Post
Population:

Charlottetown: 69,325 (CA) +5.8%

Summerside: 16,587 (CA) +0.6

Nice to see these population increases, especially for Charlottetown which increased by ~4,000. Stratford was a big 13.2% to 9,800. Cornwall was 5,800 at 3.6%.
I just realized something, Stratford and Cornwall have the same population combined as Summerside does. Actually they do as they are not CA populations.
The Summerside proper population is 13,814 and dropped -0.4. Seems to me S'side maybe suffering from the old age folks syndrome. All the younger folks are moving to larger centres. First Charlottetown, then beyond. I guess it's fair to say the whole island is doing that.
I'm from Summerside, and that's exactly what's happened. There wasn't anything for me there, and most people my age felt the same way. My brother lives in Red Deer and I lived in Moncton for 2 years but took a job in Sussex in December.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 3:05 PM

Quote:
IKEA Canada Announces Five Collection Points in Atlantic Canada
02-03-2017

Launches in St. John’s, Charlottetown, Fredericton, New Glasgow and Sydney will make shopping at IKEA more accessible, convenient and affordable for local residents
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/about_ikea...s_Announcement

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 3:16 PM

Probably made possible by the Halifax store and its distribution network. Now it's making sense how the Halifax store made sense financially, it's going to serve as the centre of a distribution network serving the entire maritimes.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Probably made possible by the Halifax store and its distribution network. Now it's making sense how the Halifax store made sense financially, it's going to serve as the centre of a distribution network serving the entire maritimes.
Doubtful. IKEA orders ship from warehouses, not their stores.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 12:05 AM

DP Murphy Hotels and Resorts to erect a six-storey Hampton Inn & Suites.

DP Murphy Hotels and Resorts wants to erect a six-storey Hampton Inn & Suites hotel on 4.5 acres between the Maypoint roundabout and North River Road.

The hotel is one of four separate issues that council will hear public comments on.

The applicant is perfectly within its rights to construct a four-storey hotel but is asking the city for a site-specific amendment to the highway commercial zone to add another two storeys.

The overall parcel of land is about seven acres, bounded to the north by Capital Drive, Maypoint Road to the west, C-2 zoned land to the east, R-3 zoned multi-unit dwellings and R-1 zoning to the south.

Last edited by braymondg; Mar 6, 2017 at 12:34 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces