HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 2:12 AM

Newmarket, NH - Small Town New England

Newmarket, NH is a town of about 9,000 located between Durham and Exeter on the New Hampshire Seacoast, about 10-15 miles from Portsmouth.

First settled in the 1600's and incorporated in 1727, it became a thriving mill town in the 1800's. Later the mills were used for various other industries, including the original home of Timberland Shoes. Today the mills are experiencing a renaissance as offices, apartments, restaurants and shops.

I took these on a walk around the downtown area in August.

These old buildings are being converted into apartments and offices

Public Library

The current Town Hall is the old Catholic School. The previous town hall burned down in the 1980's

Stone walls are everywhere in New Hampshire

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 5:22 AM

Nice pictures! I've never heard of Newmarket, but I have relatives in that area. We don't see much New Hampshire on here, and to see an unknown place like Newmarket is even better.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 6:04 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures! I've never heard of Newmarket, but I have relatives in that area. We don't see much New Hampshire on here, and to see an unknown place like Newmarket is even better.
I thought the same thing--have had family in Dover and briefly in Durham (Derm!) since the 1970s and yet I cannot ever recall visiting Newmarket.

Anyway, cool photos--love those stone mills especially. Also, the house in the second-to-last photo could be anywhere in the Granite State: old, plain, clean and strong. And you just know that front door never gets used!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 8:15 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

What a lovely and quaint town! Very nice pics, thanks for sharing. The mills are beautiful. I like a lot those stone buildings.

I would like to live in a town like Newmarket. Granite State is wonderful, like the whole New England.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos