HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 5:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick989 View Post
people have as much right to complain about the building as they do to compliment it, it's a free forum to do so.
That's true. Not everyone has to agree to be 100 % in awe of the building. We don't stop people from stating how nice it looks, there is no need to stop the opposite. Personally, I'm never offended if someone differs from my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadiomals View Post
Okay, we have really, really exhausted this spire/antenna issue by now. It has basically been discussed continuously for months, with different people essentially repeating the same things.
As long as its still visible, it's worth commenting on. Otherwise, why have a thread for a building to begin with? Just to throw praise? Is there a limit to how much you can compliment a building?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
So the beacon just lights up but doesn't rotate like the Eiffel tower for example?Damn, we're so boring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze23 View Post
It actually was rotating. I was close by and I could clearly see it but it just didn't look powerful enough to be seen from a distance. I too hope it's still a test cause that'll be some let down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
The toothpick looks even more out of place at night with the top of the tower dark and the rings left unlit. I'm not sure why they would choose to highlight it's least attractive feature.

I'm still thinking that all of that will change a bit. This isn't the finished product, and it was only brought to attention on that day because the CTBUH was focusing on it. They wanted the public to focus as well, and to show how much it "adds" to the building. You can see a little bit of the shine in this cam shot (hardly worth the effort)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
I said before that I hope the CTBUH uses the same criteria they use on existing buildings here to. Well I just read an article online where Daniel Safarik, an architect and spokesman for the CTBUH said the committee could consider amending its height criteria - A move with broader implications that could force a reshuffle in the rankings of the tallest buildings in the world!

That was posted in an earlier article. I believe they would only do that to a) strip spires from height criteria or b) include antenna masts in height.

As it is today, the top 3 in the US would look like this:

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/1...hemisphere.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDecoRevival View Post
Please tell me you're joking.
Tell me you're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
If all the city's broadcast needs were already taken care of would the 1776' number be a non issue and they would have stopped at the parapet.
Well, now we get to the larger issue, which no one is talking about, and the media has yet to catch on to. The 1,776 figure is really the only thing about this tower left over from the original site plan concept. Not only did it have to reach that height, but it had to be reached by and upraised, asymmetrical spire that would symbolize Liberty's upraised torch. The redesign caused the spire to be centered, but David Childs kept the 1,776 ft height. Or so it was thought, until it was revealed that the building elevation giving that height didn't include the extra 5 or 6 ft drop from south to north.

The north entrance is basically the same as the south - except there are a small flight of steps leading to the level lobby floor.

This is why the tower will not be 1,776 ft, or even 1,368 ft (which is measured from the south). You can add 5 or 6 ft to those numbers (depending on the exact difference).

In my opinion, instead of focusing on the Sears Tower in Chicago, the media should be asking questions of this.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...d-zero-tower/2

Quote:
Addressing the issue of the lower secondary entrance, a spokeswoman said SOM's hope is that the design will be grandfathered in because it was unveiled in 2005 — four years before the council made its rule change.

"The 'front door' of (One World Trade Center) — symbolically and practically — is the south entrance," SOM said in its email. "This is the entrance that faces the 9/11 memorial and is, therefore, the most significant entrance to the building from every standpoint."
Anybody hungry? Because they're throwing a lot of baloney our way.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 11, 2013 at 5:31 AM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 5:20 AM

Honestly I don't mind if this building is 1,368 feet tall. You guys might kill me for it but that is my opinion. That reason is I am pretty happy to know that at least the height of One World Trade Center is the same height as the old North Tower of the former World Trade Center. For me that symbol means it has been fully rebuilt regardless of what you guys think. I just like it the way it is. Just don't kill me guys. I know that you are unhappy to know this, but taller towers will come. 225 West 57th Street, 432 Park Avenue, and etc will help us defeat Chicago so don't panic if this isn't the one...

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 5:27 AM

When again does the verdict get announced. Tuesday?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 5:43 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Honestly I don't mind if this building is 1,368 feet tall. You guys might kill me for it but that is my opinion. That reason is I am pretty happy to know that at least the height of One World Trade Center
is the same height as the old North Tower of the former World Trade Center. For me that symbol means it has been fully rebuilt regardless of what you guys think. I just like it the way it is. Just don't
kill me guys. I know that you are unhappy to know this, but taller towers will come. 225 West 57th Street, 432 Park Avenue, and etc will help us defeat Chicago so don't panic if this isn't the one...
Well first off, nobody is "defeating" Chicago. And the building won't match the height of the twins exactly in either form. Did we rebuild a tower of similar height? Yes. Is the skyline restored? Pretty much.

I don't care if the mast is included in the height either. Just don't tell me that mast as is was designed as an architectural addition to the tower, which otherwise looks fine by itself.

whatisintheblackbox

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
No, you idiot, I didn't read your reply. I tend to skip over the 1 WTC fanboys who defend this tower at any cost since you guys really add nothing to the conversation other than blind support. The spire is fucking hideous. I see this building from my window and always look up at that rusty stick (erm, "spire") and laugh out loud. I am really hoping the skyscraper council slaps this building down to earth..down to 1373 ft..where it belongs. Get the fuck over it.
I don't "blindly" support the tower, I am just as disappointed by the spire as everyone else. I mean, after a beautiful sheathing was planned, who wouldn't be? So stop building strawmen.

And guess what, if CTBUH doesn't count the antenna as part of the height, will it disappear? Will they get rid of it? Cause that's where your mind seems to be. I think YOU need to get over it, because the antenna is here to stay no matter how much whining on the Internet you do, and no one is affected but you when you allow yourself to be disgusted by it.

Like I said before, when are you organizing your public protest? Where is the petition you created that I can sign? Oh, you're not doing any of that?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 8:49 AM

Quote:
That's true. Not everyone has to agree to be 100 % in awe of the building. We don't stop people from stating how nice it looks, there is no need to stop the opposite. Personally, I'm never offended if someone differs from my opinion.
My perspective on this controversy is not stopping people from voicing their opinion, it's "how are these constant complaints going to effect change, if at all?"

If people are so pissed about how this antenna turned out, they can gather enough people or create a petition to actually bring this to Durst or others involved. The thing is, as far as I know no one here has voiced plans to do that. It reminds me of Kony 2012, this huge viral campaign where all 98% of people did was tweet #Kony2012 and then go back to their own lives. It's pathetic. That's how I view it and that's my individual opinion. People on this forum complain about the "corruption, greed, and cheapness" involved in this debacle, but that's all they do, and it has no effect on the situation except adding an atmosphere of negativity to this thread.

I am not a blind supporter of this tower and I don't praise it. Frankly, the design is bland and of course the antenna is even worse. But I know that I'm not going to take time out of my life to make picket signs and march around the developer's offices because I'm just really not that passionate about the issue. Even if I was, I know my efforts would be in vain unless I managed to gather thousands of people. So I limit my worthless complaints which add nothing constructive and in turn, I don't make myself look like a hypocrite.

I just can't wait till 2 and 3 WTC start rising so we have something to distract us from the disappointment at 1 WTC, both here and in the skyline.

Last edited by cadiomals; Nov 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 10:33 AM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Both are phallic statements by insecure cultures? lol

And the other hidden message: humans like tiny walkways that go around tall pillars.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 2:00 PM
Fake News

Quote:
I don't want to sound too scornful here, but when will you be making picket signs and arranging a crowd of at least 100 to protest outside Durst offices or 1WTC? When will you be gathering signatures for a petition? I'd love to know when and where your planned protest is set to be.

Your time for actually getting up and protesting and petitioning with regards to the radome and the design of the new WTC in general has long passed, and as far as I know you never had any intention of doing such a thing. Now people here are just venting their feelings on an online forum which will make ZERO difference (slacktivism), and although you all have the right to express your opinions it's frankly getting quite annoying. People have been saying the same things over and over about the spire for months, and has Durst changed its mind yet? Nope.

You all can go ahead and continue complaining, but as long it's on here your words will fall on no one's ears. You can say all you want how America has become "complacent" but as long as you're not out there actually educating the public and "demanding the best", you are just as complacent as the rest of us, while also being a hypocrite.
My commentary is from the outside looking in as I am Canadian. Just an observation from your friendly neighbour to the north. Take it for what it's worth.

Edit: and btw there was a petition going around a year or so back that I did sign.

Last edited by O-tacular; Nov 11, 2013 at 2:11 PM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 2:36 PM
Fake News

Quote:
My perspective on this controversy is not stopping people from voicing their opinion, it's "how are these constant complaints going to effect change, if at all?"

If people are so pissed about how this antenna turned out, they can gather enough people or create a petition to actually bring this to Durst or others involved. The thing is, as far as I know no one here has voiced plans to do that. It reminds me of Kony 2012, this huge viral campaign where all 98% of people did was tweet #Kony2012 and then go back to their own lives. It's pathetic. That's how I view it and that's my individual opinion. People on this forum complain about the "corruption, greed, and cheapness" involved in this debacle, but that's all they do, and it has no effect on the situation except adding an atmosphere of negativity to this thread.

I am not a blind supporter of this tower and I don't praise it. Frankly, the design is bland and of course the antenna is even worse. But I know that I'm not going to take time out of my life to make picket signs and march around the developer's offices because I'm just really not that passionate about the issue. Even if I was, I know my efforts would be in vain unless I managed to gather thousands of people. So I limit my worthless complaints which add nothing constructive and in turn, I don't make myself look like a hypocrite.

I just can't wait till 2 and 3 WTC start rising so we have something to distract us from the disappointment at 1 WTC, both here and in the skyline.
Well you conveniently gave yourself an out. I guess no one should ever voice concerns or criticisms unless they have a mob of several thousand at their disposal.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
No, you idiot, I didn't read your reply. I tend to skip over the 1 WTC fanboys who defend this tower at any cost since you guys really add nothing to the conversation other than blind support. The spire is fucking hideous. I see this building from my window and always look up at that rusty stick (erm, "spire") and laugh out loud. I am really hoping the skyscraper council slaps this building down to earth..down to 1373 ft..where it belongs. Get the fuck over it.
Well that was unnecessary. Can't we just all agree to disagree?

Personally, I'd maintain that it's tallest by pinnacle, and the Willis/Sears is taller by roof. To me, it's that simple.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 4:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Excuse me, but when did that become a part of the criteria for voicing opinion? Because believe me, if it were, there would be a whole lot of changes in the world. And nothing would be constant because everyone has an opinion on something. No, I think the problem is more likely that you just don't want to see or hear about it anymore, and that frankly is your problem.

Meanwhile, a decision from the CTBUH comes tomorrow...

Video Link

Video Link

Diana Love

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 11, 2013 at 5:10 PM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 5:03 PM
don't *meddle*...

http://www.ctbuh.org/News/GlobalTall...S/Default.aspx

CTBUH Press Conference:
Ruling on Height of One World Trade Center

November 11, 2013

The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH) will hold a press conference to announce the determination of its Height Committee with respect to the architectural height of One World Trade Center, New York.

Quote:
WHEN:

Two conferences will take place simultaneously on Tuesday, Nov. 12 at 10:00 a.m. (Central) in Chicago and 11:00 a.m. (Eastern) and New York.

WHERE:

Chicago:

Illinois Institute of Technology Tower
10 W. 35th St.
19th Floor
Chicago, IL, 60616

New York:

NBBJ Inc.
2 Rector Street, 25th Floor
New York, NY, 10006

WHO:

Representatives will be available for interviews and to answer questions following the announcement.

Chicago:

Antony Wood, CTBUH Executive Director
Peter Weismantle, Chair, CTBUH Height Committee; Director of Supertall Building Technology, Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture

New York:

Timothy Johnson, CTBUH Chairman; Design Partner, NBBJ

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 5:31 PM

How many people are still pissed about rulings on past buildings the CTBUH has made. Has the same thing ever happened before, or are we on uncharted territory here?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 6:39 PM
Jeez Louise.

So what was their decision? It's 11:40AM Mountain time where I am. So that conference took place a while ago. Can't find any articles online talking about what they decided though.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 6:55 PM

Anyone know the timeline for the removal of the East elevator?

I believe it was dependent on Conde Nast's interior build out? Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 6:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
http://www.ctbuh.org/News/GlobalTall...S/Default.aspx

CTBUH Press Conference:
Ruling on Height of One World Trade Center

November 11, 2013

The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH) will hold a press conference to announce the determination of its Height Committee with respect to the architectural height of One World Trade Center, New York.
There should be a spoof of this.

Anway, relive the spire animations from the past here...
http://www.lowermanhattan.info/const...wer_26204.aspx
under "Nighttime Flyby" and "Timeline". Not sure we will get anything like that now.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 7:13 PM

I figured when I saw the antenna lit, it would help the disappointment I've had when it comes to this building. Now that I've seen it lit, it simply highlights the architectural flaw of this building.

It is WAY too long and skinny. It doesn't blend with the tower at all. The antenna being lit at night makes it look even more out of place than it does in the daytime. Terrible.....

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 7:22 PM

I don't mean to pile up on the criticism of this tower, but I've watched plenty of videos of the beacon and it reinforces what i saw on friday, it's not that visible! At least not as it was portrayed to be and definitely not even close to that of the Eiffel tower. Maybe it wasn't fully powered. And you're totally right UTEPman, they need to light up that ring to bring a semblance of coherence on top.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
So what was their decision? It's 11:40AM Mountain time where I am. So that conference took place a while ago. Can't find any articles online talking about what they decided though.
TODAY IS MONDAY.. do you have a calendar? SMH

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEPman View Post
I figured when I saw the antenna lit, it would help the disappointment I've had when it comes to this building. Now that I've seen it lit, it simply highlights the architectural flaw of this building.

It is WAY too long and skinny. It doesn't blend with the tower at all. The antenna being lit at night makes it look even more out of place than it does in the daytime. Terrible.....
they haven't completed the lighting on the upper floors yet or the communications ring.. just have patience, I for one, think it looks gorgeous. I have learned to move on from the Radome removal issue. This tower makes me proud to be American everytime I look at it!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive