HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
I give the benefit of the doubt to the province and the construction contractors. Construction signs don't necessarily mean that active construction is occurring. They mean that either workers are present or some hazard exists because of construction that will be occurring, is occurring, or did occur in the area. In this case, it's because the area is an active construction site and construction, while paused, exists.

Did that lower speed limit need to exist? I don't know; I'm not a highway safety engineer. Evidently someone thought it ought to exist due to the circumstances there. Remember that hazards like narrower shoulders, missing reflectors, and so on are still hazards even if the lanes are open.

And... six seconds. We are all better safe than sorry.

As for bad drivers? We can only engineer for them to a certain degree. The rest needs to be done by law enforcement and attrition.
I think you're giving them too much credit. I just think it's general laziness that accounts for most of it as it's just easier to leave the signs up then to actually remove them when necessary. I've seen a lot of unbelievable and completely bone-headed choices by the powers that be when it comes to traffic control over the years so perhaps I'm just jaded.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 4:40 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I wonder if this shows that we have too many politicians and too few engineers (in this context) in the power that be.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 7:34 PM

Regina Bypass tweeted during the winter:

Quote:
Due to the traffic barriers along the shoulder, the speed limit when travelling under our #Bypass Bridges on Hwy 1 West and Hwy 11 is 80km
The tweet included a picture of concrete barriers along Highway 1 near Pinkie. Problem was there were notsuch barriers on Highway 11. It is easy for those who use Highway 11 once a month to say this is no big deal, but for commuters it is a big deal. Several have mentioned it to me without prompting form me.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Regina Bypass tweeted during the winter:

The tweet included a picture of concrete barriers along Highway 1 near Pinkie. Problem was there were notsuch barriers on Highway 11. It is easy for those who use Highway 11 once a month to say this is no big deal, but for commuters it is a big deal. Several have mentioned it to me without prompting form me.
I did the math. It's costing the commuters about eight seconds, and I'm being conservative in that estimation. See my earlier post.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I did the math. It's costing the commuters about eight seconds, and I'm being conservative in that estimation. See my earlier post.
The larger issue is that some people will go 110 until the 80 and then will brake to slow down. This braking will cascade backwards, eventually resulting in vehicles 1 or 2 km away slowing to a standstill.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
...and what about the safety issue?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 3:38 PM

It'll be over soon. Relax.

The bypass will give northwest-of-Regina residents much more convenient access to the Trans-Canada westbound (and eastbound, most likely, too; going south and around the city will probably be faster than going to the Ring Road and then to Victoria (or Highway 46). It will definitely be faster for people heading to highways 6 and 33 south, too. Short-term pain for long-term gain.

I understand the frustration, but unless I see a post from a highway engineer who was actually educated in highway safety who says that the lower speed limit is unnecessary, I'm going to side with the professionals who put the signs up.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 3:47 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Well there’s one in the Ontario subforum (sonysnob by name) but he’s only active there and in the Canada forum.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 2:46 PM

I knew it was coming, but I am still disappointed to see that the City has barricaded Ring Road S./TCH at Assiniboine/Wascana Creek down to one lane in both directions just months before the Bypass opens. Traffic was pretty much at a standstill. Dozens of semis barely creeping along.

This just confirms my view that the City places no value on drivers time when scheduling and managing projects.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 7:42 PM

Quote:
I knew it was coming, but I am still disappointed to see that the City has barricaded Ring Road S./TCH at Assiniboine/Wascana Creek down to one lane in both directions just months before the Bypass opens. Traffic was pretty much at a standstill. Dozens of semis barely creeping along.

This just confirms my view that the City places no value on drivers time when scheduling and managing projects.
I really truly believe the city is run by idiots that have no common sense.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
I really truly believe the city is run by idiots that have no common sense.
You just figured this out? 99% of the time municipal govt., managers and decision makers are usually not the sharpest knives in the drawer. But this city has for decades had the worst stable of atom splitters which is why its such a back water. That ring road was engineering joke since it was built.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missinglink View Post
You just figured this out? 99% of the time municipal govt., managers and decision makers are usually not the sharpest knives in the drawer. But this city has for decades had the worst stable of atom splitters which is why its such a back water. That ring road was engineering joke since it was built.
Did I say I "just figured this out"? I don't think a date or time was stated in my post whatsoever.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 1:12 AM

So all you managerial geniuses would have done the construction work in the winter, got it.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
So all you managerial geniuses would have done the construction work in the winter, got it.
It couldn't wait until next spring?

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
It couldn't wait until next spring?
It's a multi-year infrastructure project based on engineering that has been in the works and is based on budgets. There's no reason to delay. Roadworks are a fact of life.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 2:15 PM

Quote:
It's a multi-year infrastructure project based on engineering that has been in the works and is based on budgets. There's no reason to delay. Roadworks are a fact of life.
Clearly there is. You seem to be close to and defensive of this project. Interesting.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 2:33 PM

Quote:
That is a ridiculous justification. To paraphrase: "We did a lot of work on this, so who cares if the timing makes absolutely no sense?"

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 2:58 PM

Quote:
The city has accelerated some of its infrastructure replacement due to availability of federal funding and the current depressed state of the trades. This is a financial opportunity for the city to do the work at a lower cost than was expected. This is why, e.g., the Wascana Parkway overpasses were done last year as well.

Do I like it? No, I hate it. I am screwed right now going to work because my two good routes are Lewvan and Ring Road, and both are heavily impacted by construction. But when exactly is a good time to do this work? My guess is that the city has plenty of other Ring Road work planned for next year.

I've been involved in lots of organizations where there is background planning done. I've seen criticism of the results of the planning from others who were not privy to the full discussion. Without knowing the entire picture, it's not entirely fair to be so critical about it. As a result, I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to others when I am in that same removed situation. I am sure the City considered that the bypass was opening soon. I am sure the pros and cons were weighed. It's fair to be upset that the construction is disrupting, but it's more than a little unfair to assume that the city is incapable of intelligent planning, even if it makes mistakes here and there. The state of this city is, in many ways, much better than it was when I was the age of probably many of the posters here.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
That is a ridiculous justification. To paraphrase: "We did a lot of work on this, so who cares if the timing makes absolutely no sense?"
By your logic all of the bridge/overpass work should have been delayed until the bypass was completed. Just because you're ignorant of how the city budget and planning process works doesn't mean it's as simple as delaying something for a year.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 2:54 PM

Quote:
By your logic all of the bridge/overpass work should have been delayed until the bypass was completed. Just because you're ignorant of how the city budget and planning process works doesn't mean it's as simple as delaying something for a year.
They had 5 years to plan/budget for this. The issue is very specific to the south leg of the old bypass/ring road. This is the only portion of the Ring Road that is TCH. One of the main purposes of the new Bypass is to move TCH semi traffic further out. It would have just made too much sense to defer this for a year. It is the TCH in summer for god's sake. Semis and RV's that really have no alternative. Restricting the TCH should not be done lightly, especially for 6 months over the summer!

Also the City budget and planning process should not trump everything. The world does not revolve around them. As I said on the main thread, it is just laziness or stubborn indifference not to make adjustments.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan